There's no support to put the bar and doing squats at my gym. There's only the smith machine

There's no support to put the bar and doing squats at my gym. There's only the smith machine.

I've heard that smith machine sucks, and I need to do squats on my training.

What do I do, Veeky Forums?

That's the free weight side of the gym.

are you a powerlifter or olympic lifter, OP?

2/2
Uh? Nop, just want to start with Starting Strength program

>implying you need to be either of those for the smith machine to be below you

kys

Zercher squats or whatever they're fucking called.
Or:
Clean the bar, push press, put on your back and squat.

Just steal the bench bar.

Take the bar off the bench press and powerclean it off the floor and hit some front squats.

Oh boy, you are on the same boat as me (even on the same city).

Here's what I did: find a gym with a squat rack. When I eventually go to that gym, I clean the weight for OHP and front squats.

I pay R$45 on a small gym. It's cheaper and has a squat rack, but the bar and plates are much inferior to the gym you go to. You will have to decide your priority.

Also, proper gyms with power racks are nowhere to be found. Tell me if you found any.

then just do some other knee-extension exercise until you can find a better gym

not like you're gonna miss out on setting a world record powerlifting total if you can't squat for a month or two

if your gym has a leg press, consider that, otherwise try goblet squats or something, or look up hatfield squat if you would like to maim yourself

smith machine has some uses for >aesthetics lifting, and OP shouldn't have a panic attack over not being able to squat for a few weeks while he finds a better gym

Just do damn squats on the smith like I do at my small gym

Yeah sure dont hit the same stabalizers etc but not like its worthless

What's this? My gym only has a smiths machine and I do OHP and squats in it. A-am I doing something wrong?

OHP on the smith machine is the rotator cuff holocaust. Same with squats for knees on the long run.

How the fuck do you do OHP in the smith machine? I always hit the top and can't fully extend my arms.

>manlet?

>OHP in the smith machine

Do you also do seated dumbbell curls?

go to an actual gym

If you cant clean what you back squat then you are in no place to use that weight.

How short are you that you can ohp in the smith machine?

>if your gym has a leg press, consider that,
should more than consider that, youll get the same size gains with leg press

eh, there's
really? tell moar

I squat 3.5pl8 but can only clean 2pl8

agreed, everyone on here wants you to believe it's all or nothing but if a smith machine is the only way you can progressively overload yourself then fucking do it

m8 I don't even work out legs anymore, my fat genetics have blessed (or cursed, depends on point of view) me by allocating most of my fat deposits on my quads/ass.

Squatting felt weird on my quads no matter what form I would try, and Deadlifts gave me a lower back pain of which I'm still recovering.

Yes, it was my fault, but I do not have access to a reliable trainer and almost every form video on the net comes from manlets. I'm 6'4, squatting and deadlifting feel awkward as fuck.

Just hit the gym. If you can bench, OHP, and row, chances are your legs will still develop a bit. I would only advise doing squats if you have chicken legs and deadlifting if you can get the form right.

What could I use it for? This is the gym at work and it's rather dull. Should I ditch the smith and use only dumbbells? They have barbells placed vertically along with Olympic bumper plates which I've been using for deadlifts, could I be using this for anything else? Aside from that, there are dumbbells and benches. Yea I know, better gym etc etc but I'm interested in utilizing what I currently have access to.

5'8

so you want me to believe that your gym has Olympic bumper plates but no powerlifting platform, or squat rack seems legit

Are there bench press benches? You can sit on that bench facing the bar and OHP it while sitting (or just stand up after you picked it up)

Correct. They also have shorter barbells in length with attached weights. I opted for the Olympic barbell in the smith because I've often read that should be what you start with but now I'm feeling compelled to using those barbells with attached weights on them solely because stabilizing the bar is a key component to weightlifting... Right? Sorry OP didn't mean to derail.

Yea, there is. I didn't think of that which makes sense. I suppose I should've researched a bit more rather than eagerly jumping into lifting. Any other recommendations are welcomed as I'm barely starting out. Thanks Veeky Forums.

Looks like a pretty good selection of dumbbells. If you are really opposed to finding a new gym, just grab a pair of dumbbells and hold them where you would hold a barbell to squat, and start squatting. It's better than nothing.

>telling someone to squat without safety bars
Kill yourselves

So smiths is for girly men?

Smith machine is better than nothing OP. It's not ideal but it'll do just fine for now.

you learn the ancient art of cleaning the bar friend

Smith Machine doesn't suck. I find it better for my lower back since it doesn't put much of the strain on it. Or do a clean and then front squat or push press leg machine. Don't worry too much man

Nah, you can't start lifting early enough, even when you're sill learning how stuff works.
I personally don't like SS, but make sure to do back assistance and do some face pulls or variations from time to time to keep your shoulders healthy. Even lateral raises work. Your chest and shoulders can do way more than just pushing, so you should do it. If you suck at power cleans, start with hang power cleans, you don't miss a lot and they are easier to learn. If you lower back feels more and more pumped from workout to workout, do some ab work and maybe leg curls to prevent hyperlordis. Just do some assistance that feels "right". And if you're stalling, deload. Increasing your load every workout is bs even for beginners. Technique is everything in the 5 rep range.

Deadlift your way to heaven

You are an idiot and you have no idea what you are talking about, gtfo

Nice bait.

>smart fit
>literally too smart for barbells

>Needing safety bars to squat
Lmao just drop the bar nigga

A thousand thanks, senpai

Am in same situation, no squat rack. Is smith machine really as bad as everyone says?

For DB squats, is holding the DBs at the bar location better than letting them hang at your sides?

I love Bom Retiro dude I wish I lived there
I'd eat Korean food every single week

Aesthetics lifting is strength lifting. Post body

Do cleans bro
Maybe add some more accessories