Lets settle this once and for all. Is JFK overrated, underrated, or rated fairly now...

Lets settle this once and for all. Is JFK overrated, underrated, or rated fairly now? One thing about him being overrated is this cult of personality he seems to have after his assassination as some valiant knight in shining armor, while on the other side, he seems like a really brilliant politician from an early age and a smart cold warrior

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8QJMM_btpmM
youtube.com/watch?v=fISgKl8dB3M
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_winter
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He'd be #MeToo'd into oblivion today. Dreadful person. I'm glad Hollywood is finally starting to turn on the Kennedys. That family is more corrupt than the Clintons.

overrated

Rated fairly
Is sometimes given nostalgia points because he was killed but he was alright

He was legitimately a very intelligent and charismatic leader.

This being said, the main reason Americans like him so much is because they associate him with the period of relative stability before the bottom dropped out of American society in the mid 60s.

Homicide rates in the US doubled in between 1963 and 1970, while at the same time America experienced absolute ruin in Vietnam and the worst civil unrest since the Civil War.

He did single-handedly overrule the entire Joint Chiefs of Staff and most of his cabinet when they were telling him to invade Cuba during the missile crisis, so that's pretty cool.

>had horrible back problems
>was the son of a rich political dynastic family
>was in college
>had a job
>tries to join the army and is turned down for health issues
>despite all of this, still went out of his way and used his connections to get into the Navy
>even then, requested missions running PT boats in the pacific instead of some desk job

Its pretty amazing to compare the greatest generation to the boomer generation when it comes to shit like this. They were finding excuses to join the war, while healthy young men were finding all the excuses to be exempt from the draft in vietnam. sort of related

youtube.com/watch?v=8QJMM_btpmM

I think he is somewhat underrated when it comes to his views on government.

He believed that government should not be involved in things when the private sector can do it better. (He would disband NASA today since Elon Musk is making rockets in the private sector). He strongly advocated for the belief in human individualism (classical liberalism) and saw communism as a true evil in the idea of collectivism. Of course the classical idea of ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

He also believed that the federal governments main priority should always be relating to foreign policy which he focused on first rather then domestic.

Created the peace corp to help developing nations so that they would ally themselves with us in American ideals of freedom and democracy as a way to effectively combat the USSR in influence rather then violent actions. Cuban missile crisis was averted (Even though it was all started due to his recklessness he learned quickly to avoid nuclear holocaust).

He is overrated when it comes to civil rights since he is the one who breached the subject but he wasn't the one who got the bill passed, though he seems to be credited more then LBJ is who was the one who passed it.

But on domestic related stuff though he is credited as doing a lot of great for domestic policy and his death was what probably helped push those policies through.(even if LBJ was considered a congress grand chess master its hard to determine if Kennedy's death or LBJs skill was what really got the bill passed for civil rights)

He was unintelligent and socially awkward, but his billionaire father was able to carry him

He looks almost exactly like my pastor, except taller and less charismatic.

A lot of pros and cons brought up here. I think he died at just the right time to help his rep.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how he allowed unions of federal employees to collectively bargain with the government for the first time (this was then expanded on and further formalized by Nixon). This was most likely a mistake and would eventually lead to a system where unions of government employees form one of the most powerful political blocks influencing American government. It also may have contributed to the decline of traditional private sector unions by shifting the focus and power center of the major labor organizations. So im the 21st century you're left with a crippled labpr movemwnt that's only really effective insofar as it's working to further expropriate taxes from industry, rather than bargain away surplus profit from private businesses.

Gets credit that he isn't due for furthering civil rights.

>unintelligent
>went to harvard

Trump went to an ivy league too. But at least his father didn't pay anyone to ghostwrite a thesis.

>majored in international studies

There is a big motivational difference there. There are wars I'd volunteer for and those I would not.

Trump paid someone to ghost write his entire persona.

>Trump went to an ivy league too
Yeah, and Trump is a genius billionaire who smashed the whole political establishment and became president. Were you trying to prove my point for me?
So what? Harvard is Harvard, I bet you went to community college you failure.

Great. He has something in common with your God Kennedy.

>riding JFK's dick this hard
You sound like my grandma.

>Harvard is Harvard
>can't even write a thesis without a ghostwriter
lol
Let's be honest here and admit that, outside of stem and law, Harvard really doesn't deserve a reputation.

>Let's be honest here and admit that, outside of stem and law, Harvard really doesn't deserve a reputation.
I wouldn't go that far, but /int/ studies is unequivocally lame.

I like Ike.

>write a thesis without a ghostwriter
Proof?
>muh stem
Autism.
He accomplished more than you ever will in a million years faglord, he's modern aristocracy, he deserves to be worshipped by the peasantry.

>he's modern aristocracy, he deserves to be worshipped by the peasantry
Hilarious satire, my friend.

same tbqh
if he were alive the illegals would be gone by now

>He did single-handedly overrule the entire Joint Chiefs of Staff and most of his cabinet when they were telling him to invade Cuba during the missile crisis, so that's pretty cool.

That was a mistake, though. They should have shown strength and invade the isle. Back then, the USA had thousands of nuclear warheads, the soviet union only had a few hundred. There was no need to shy away. Kennedy was lucky that he was facing a relatively friendly Khrushchev during that time. Stalin would have whiped the floor with Kennedy.

women voted for handsome retards even then?

Maybe your pastor is a Kennedy bastard
Must be dozens of them

>hurr durr i lik nuclear holocaust
That's what drooling retards such as yourself sound like.

>That was a mistake, though. They should have shown strength and invade the isle. Back then, the USA had thousands of nuclear warheads, the soviet union only had a few hundred. There was no need to shy away. Kennedy was lucky that he was facing a relatively friendly Khrushchev during that time. Stalin would have whiped the floor with Kennedy.
Indeed the USA should have launched a catastrophic war against the USSR instead of waiting for it to balkanize peacefully a few decades later

I wish he could've passed his gym class program

youtube.com/watch?v=fISgKl8dB3M

In that situation the soviet union had no option of mutual destruction, so the outbreak of a nuclear war would have been highly unlikely. The USA could have turned the whole soviet union into nuclear ashes, while the USA was only endangered at its south-eastern coast. Because of Kennedy, the US never regained control of Cuba. Had the soviet union not collapsed, they could have always very quickly bring the US into a defensive position by stationing missiles there. Controlling cuba was critical for american safety.

>The USA could have turned the whole soviet union into nuclear ashes, while the USA was only endangered at its south-eastern coast.
you are on another realm of retardation if you think this is a better outcome than what Kennedy accomplished. How fucking unhinged are you?

Looks like some kinda Nazi Germany/Hitler Youth dystopia.

Good thing Comrade Oswald shot his ass.

Not understanding a simple sentence and yet calling others retarded is brave. I said there would have been no nuclear war, because the soviet union was in a position of disadvantage. They would have not started it, and neither would the US. Cuba would have been invaded, and the communists would have been removed from power.

WW2 had a much higher rate of draft dodgers than Vietnam, and a much lower volunteer rate IIRC. It was just way more politicized during Vietnam.

>WW2 had a much higher rate of draft dodgers than Vietnam, and a much lower volunteer rate IIRC
[citation needed]

The last good Republican President.

>I said there would have been no nuclear war, because the soviet union was in a position of disadvantage. They would have not started it, and neither would the US.

Holy fuck, more than half a century ago and people still don't know there were almost 50 000 Soviet troops in Cuba during the crisis. The JSC were operating with the knowledge that there was far, far less.

Read this

>If Kennedy had assented to his generals’ constant pressure to invade Cuba, the higher-than-known Soviet troop numbers likely would have made the landing and ground war much more difficult to win. This, in turn, would have created even greater pressure on Kennedy to escalate in order to avoid a politically devastating defeat. Such escalation would have then probably driven the Cubans/Soviets to use some of these nuclear weapons against invading forces. American officials would have assumed that Khrushchev had authorized this use of nuclear weapons. Therefore nuclear war was underway at Khrushchev’s instigation. The United States’ nuclear plans then called for unleashing most of the more than 18,000 nuclear weapons the U.S. military deployed in 1962, against the Soviet bloc and China.

>When McNamara learned about the Soviet deployment of tactical nuclear weapons to Cuba 30 years after the fact, in 1992, he declared: “We don’t need to speculate what would have happened. It would have been an absolute disaster for the world … No one should believe that a U.S. force could have been attacked by tactical nuclear warheads without responding with nuclear warheads. And where would it have ended? In utter disaster.”

Kennedy was 100% correct in his actions

>we will never get another Ike for the republicans
>we will never get another Kennedy for the democrats
Why even live?

overrated, only reason people look at him as such a nice guy is because they feel sorry that he had his brains blown out.

RFK was better

he was a hitler apologist

>we will never get another Kennedy for the democrats
thank god. the remaining ones should all be hunted down and slaughtered.

He said Hitler was a visionary, so I'll give him props

he was the white Obama, and thats not a good thing

>Unintelligent
>Harvard alumni

>Socially awkward
>Beat out the human gargoyle because of TV

I know it's bad to rate someone on the school they attended, but come on now, bro...

Attending an Ivy League when you're the son of the political or financial elite doesn't mean that much. Half of Harvard consists of geniuses, the other half consists of silver spoon babies.

>Kennedy was lucky that he was facing a relatively friendly Khrushchev during that time. Stalin would have whiped the floor with Kennedy.
So... he did the right thing, by showing restraint towards a somewhat sympathetic head of state and resolving the crisis through diplomacy so no one gets killed? Perhaps is he was up against Stalin he would have invaded the isles, food for thought.

I think this just goes to show how leftists are repelled by physical fitness and prowess

stop choosing to be retarded

You realize that JFK's words were still relatively flattering, right?

they arent, youre just a really stupid person who thinks people regarded as infamous is flattering. Youre the type of retard who would shoot up a school just so people know who you are since you realize you could never become known for doing something good.

Lol go back to Veeky Forums you nigger

overrated but onlybecause he's rated so highly

im not Veeky Forums just because your shitty stormfront image was a lie, just like all the rest of them

"Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him" is JFK acknowledging that Hitler is infamous, but predicting/believing that he does not deserve that reputation in the long run.

>being this mad that JFK was an enemy of Zog and a champion for his people

Stay mad.

>redditard tries to meme

The reason your memes are so bad is because you try so fucking hard.

>the USA had thousands of nuclear warheads, the soviet union only had a few hundred.
I'm probably getting the quote wrong, but "The cold war is two men standing waist-deep in gasoline. One man has three matches, the other has 5."
It doesn't matter that America had thousands and the USSR only had hundreds because only 300 nuclear warheads flying from both sides at once would destroy the world

This Ron Paul guy seems pretty cool

>destroy the world
No it wouldn't. You're being ridiculous. EVen all of today's nukes wouldn't cover 10% of land on Earth, and wouldn't render it completely unlivable forever. People live in Hiroshima and Nagasaki today.

It wouldn't destroy the world, rendering it unlivable forever, you're right. It'd only destroy all life and civilization, and render the land unlivable for a few thousand years.

There's a lot more to nuclear armageddon than just bombs idiot

The nuclear radiation wouldn't have destroyed all civilization or all life. I'm not arguing that it would have been terrible, decimating large cities, as well as causing immense aftershocks, like cancer, starvation, and disease that would have severly lowed the world population, but it wouldn't have ended civilization.

Nuclear radiation will eventually spread throughout the globe, destroying any life left.
Suck it Australia, you'll still die despite not being relevant enough to warrent a nuke.

he says he was a significant figure. That is in no way loving praise or flattering. Of course you wouldnt realise this since you are a really stupid person.

>get caught lying once again
>"f-fuck you zionist! it doesnt matter that I needed to make up a quote!"

thanks for ruining yet another thread stormfags

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_winter

It's not the explosions and radiation that will kill everybody. All the shit kicked up into the atmosphere will block out the sun, killing crops and causing the biggest famine ever. Most people are dead at this point. As the dust settles out of the sky all of the land and sea become contaminated with radioactive waste that takes millenia to decay to the point where plants will grow again. Everybody is long gone by now.

Pol is LITERALLY cancer.

A diseased tumor that grew too big and nasty for its own good so little pieces detach and land elsewhere in the body, choking out whatever was there before.

>he says he was a significant figure. That is in no way loving praise or flattering. Of course you wouldnt realise this since you are a really stupid person.
JFK said that Hitler had boundless ambition for his country. He could have said "Hitler had boundless ambition to kill Jews" or "be an evil bastard", instead he framed him in a positive, nationalistic light, exactly as Hitler would have wanted to be remembered.

You're arguing about his rhetoric and ignoring what he's actually saying. Of course you wouldnt realise this since you are a really stupid person.

>socially awkward
>boned Marilyn Monroe and dozens other women
>known for his charisma
You're a retard.

I'm paraphrasing exactly what he's saying, brainlet

>he totally loved hitler guys! never mind the fact that I had to make up a fake quote to shill this meme and Im also a myopic retard whos completely oblivious to the wider history, like the fact that JFK wrote a famous thesis all about what a retarded nigger hitler was and why England should have built up its military to take him down earlier

stop choosing to be stupid user.

you didnt paraphrase anything

you gave a direct quote and then something stupid he you think he should have said

He was handsome af and had one of the coolest jobs in WW2, so there's that.

I never said he loved Hitler
Quote me

>People live in Hiroshima and Nagasaki today.
>unironically comparing modern nuclear arsenals to those firecrackers we dropped on japan

He was known as a shy person
>le handsome so he's charismatic

he was a shy and introverted person. Even Nixon talked about how he had to really force himself to be personal

Probably the worst Smuggie I've seen.

tbhfam, you should take out the "mom, my mlp dvds" part and end it with "I dnot need a girlfriend"

you can be shy and charismatic

>Even Nixon
Wow really reliable source right here

Pretty ok for his times. His brother Bobby was the real deal though.

I'm the guy you replied to and I'm not white, and I an what people would consider "liberal". Not everyone who says bad things about Dems are white conservatives