He studied liberal arts at a non ivy league college

>he studied liberal arts at a non ivy league college

Other urls found in this thread:

usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2017/04/28/average-student-loan-debt-every-state/100893668/
ppic.org/publication/higher-education-in-california-student-costs/
collegedata.com/cs/data/college/college_pg03_tmpl.jhtml?schoolId=820
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>he didn't study liberal arts at a small, out of the way non ivy new england liberal arts school

>he studied anything other than STEM

>he didn't take a trade out

>he didnt take the bitcoin billionaire route

>he spent thousands more for an identical education at an ivy league school.

>he didn't destroy his body with back breaking low tier manual labour
Good on him.

Lol keep telling yourself that you community college failure

>he paid to study liberal arts instead of doing it in his spare time

>he is literate

>his parents didn't pay entirely for his state college liberal arts degree

Woah there buddy, I'm not THAT strapped for cash.

>He had to pay $50,000 for his marxist indoctrination

But you are that intellectually stunted.

>low-tier manual labor
>an experienced tradesman who can pick when and where he can work
>thinking its the same thing

I thought you niggers were supposed to be smart

>But you are that intellectually stunted
>Speaking to the strawman again

>P-p-projecting
Learn about that in your psych 101 class, huh?

>being forever relegated to a low social class

Come now, user --no need to grow defensive.

>He didn't study either business or law at Princeton/Harvard/Yale/Columbia

>He received a degree

>He took a job entirely unrelated to his degree

>low class
>class

Studied for free in Holland.

>tfw poor
>next semester will get associates degree from shitty community college
>have some financial aid but still have to pay for books/a class or 2 by myself.
>hear siblings, cousins and even random strangers talk about how their tens of thousands of dollars in debt before even being 30 years old
>am terrified of transferring to a university because of it.
I'm being compelled to go to a university, but I nor my family is any position to afford it, and I would probably kill myself if i was ever in debt like some of the people I know.
My sister owes $80,000 and one of my cousins owes a little over $50,000.

those numbers scare the shit out of me.

Honestly man, I'd suggest joining the National Guard. They'll pay for a significant portion of your tuition whilst you pursue a more satisfactory degree. The Guard payed for my master's degree in Linguistics until I obtained a stable teaching position at a decent college.

>I'm being compelled to go to a university

>>I'm being compelled to go to a university
Did your mother issue you an ultimatum?

Harvard and Yale are the only Ivy Leagues worth anything.

Real talk, do ivy leagues deserve their reputation? Or is it mainly a meme spook?

Should've been a non-retard and gotten a full scholarship.

Memes aside, Ivy League schools look excellent on nearly any resume, but the quality of education you would receive there is nearly identical to any state college in the nation.

a branch of the military has always been a backup plan for me, im only 21 but i always feel like im running out of time for some reason. and tb.h since i left HS i've let myself go

im from a poor immigrant family who back in the "old country" were nothing but farmers for the last 500 years. they EXPECT me to go to a university because all my other cousins are dropping out and of college and/or not doing anything remotely close to what they studied for.

not exactly, but every time i bring up my getting closer to graduating from CC they start asking me about what im going to do next. and i don't see any other options.

to where? for what? and how?

>im only 21 but i always feel like im running out of time for some reason
Man, I'm 24: sack up and get a degree you actually want and don't let Veeky Forums posters influence your choice of degree in any tangible way.

it's not just that, well it's a little that, but i never felt like i should be studying what i should be studying.

I'm a history major and i honestly would rather do nothing else, and even teaching has entered my mind at times, but i don't know that im doing the right thing and every year I feel like if i don't change something soon it'll be too late.

>nearly identical to any state college in the nation
What do you base this assertion on?

If you get accepted into Princeton and are poor enough they pay 100% of your tuition.

>going for degree in theater arts
>want to transfer to UCLA or go to Juilliard
>thought about AMDA and AADA but on the fence about them
I'm going to die of starvation.

>If you get accepted into Princeton
you made me laugh at myself

>I'm a history major and i honestly would rather do nothing else
Then don't. Get your certification (if you need it) and find a job teaching high school History --they're not that hard to find if you're committed to the dream. If you aspire to teach college, continue your education until you acquire your master's or PhD.

Indecisiveness is poison.

Sorry that you're retarded.

Friends I've made who've attended the same grad programs as I. They seemed very disappointed, as if Princeton would grant them forbidden linguistic knowledge that peasant institutions lacked.

>Indecisiveness is poison.
god dammit, it is. every time i tell people i'm majoring in history i'm berated with "and what are you going to do with that?" and it sends me on an existential crisis for the next few days because it makes me second guess every decision I've ever made.

>"and what are you going to do with that?"
You'll teach it, and you'll fucking love it.

Who gives a fuck what they expect? Do what you want.

And if you feel like they would withhold resources from you if you didn't go to college, then don't complain about the choice you're making. You are making the judgement that ostensible material gain is worth more than self determination and respect.

I could.
I can talk about a historical subject i find interesting with someone for hours. in history classes i've often thought how i could better teach a certain subject we're learning.
i just need to believe in myself

>You are making the judgement that ostensible material gain is worth more than self determination and respect.
my grandparents worked themselves to death and my parents look like they're going to do the same, makes material gain look very important.

Then don't say you're "compelled" to go to college, you're choosing to do so. You aren't in chains.

Nice move for a stem fag to call other people tards while on a board for history and humanties

>education is marxist
>knowing the facts makes you a marxist
really made me think

tfw paying 250 bucks per semester for the best university in my country

>"White people are evil and here's how you dismantle their countries" is a fact

>mfw four-year Econ grads average far more in lifetime earnings than six-year STEM grads with master's degrees in meme shit like mathematics and chemistry

Do want you are sincerely passionate about and refuse to consider alternatives until you accomplish your goal.

t. brainlet who's never set foot in an university

isnt math the humanities of stem?

>is mayonnaise an instrument?

It's a fucking meme dude. Average debt for a college grad including living expenses is a paltry $30,000.* Even a meme degree like History has its graduates averaging $75,000 mid-career, and college loans sometimes have interest rates less than the rate of inflation. Also if standard public state schools aren't good enough and you get into a really good public college like a UC and aren't already rich your tuition is nearly guaranteed to be free. At my school for example, UCSD, 55% of the student body pays literally zero tuition.** You'll be fine.

Be sure to go to your financial aid office in university, if even that paltry sum is too much to pay off in a decade then you're nearly guaranteed more aid.

*This is even less than it sounds for two reasons. One, it includes scam private schools. Two, it includes people taking out loans for living expenses. In actuality you're looking at maybe $25,000 if you don't get scammed.
usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2017/04/28/average-student-loan-debt-every-state/100893668/
**ppic.org/publication/higher-education-in-california-student-costs/
>On average, students from families with incomes of less than $75,000 who receive federal financial aid pay little to no tuition at all at either CSUs or UCs.

Isn't Economics the STEM of humanities?

i meant that math is pointless

>the STEM of humanities
No no you're thinking of linguistics.

Humanities grads and other career burger flippers are the low class compared to electricians.

Also, where do you live? I went to San Diego State (pretty good school, #139 university in the country per US News, which classifies as "Top Tier" to them) and it was only about $3,700 a semester (standard 5 classes/15 units) and $7,500 a year for tuition in-state. And it's cheaper now, Google tells me $7,084 a year in-state. I refuse to believe it's the only state school that's that cheap.

>electricians
You don't mean to tell me that you took the "just learn a trade bro" meme literally?

Maybe they just weren't smart enough to take full advantage of the opportunities offered.

>lifetime earnings per the Hamilton Project, for the 50th percentile of full time workers:
>linguistics four-year degree: $1.17 million
>economics [general] four-year degree: $1.78 million

My dad is a master electrician and makes around 90k a year, you tell me who got memed. What the fuck even are your career prospects with a philosophy degree, becoming a professional Zizek?

I actually did an arts degree in the UK, it's not much of a step above >wypipo be bad n shit
>year 1: why we need to return all our art and cultural artifacts to the countries that we bought/took them from
>why classical art is just the patriarchy painting nudes to objectify women
>why male artists are unfairly overrepresented and need to listen

>philosophy degree
No, user, I'm the linguist --do keep up. I teach at a college.

I took two Econ courses as an undergrad: it's the most inane, uninteresting bullshit I've ever willfully exposed myself to. You do you.

>meme LEAF schools

>He didn't CLEP out of his entire degree and then get accepted into a top-tier grad school

>economics is a humanities

Dumb faggot, you won't be asked to solve an equation or write an essay during a job interview, you'll be asked where you graduated from

>Also, where do you live?
illinois. I want to go to NIU but tuition is about 10,000 per semster.

It's a social science, like linguistics and anthropology.

I just checked for you, it's $10K per YEAR, not semester.

>retard logic
His family has been in poverty for generations upon generations, just because someone isn't holding a gun to his head doesn't mean that he isn't being compelled to rise above his social class

>stem studs can only be interested in stem-related fields
Eat a big one

>muh poverty
He's free to choose otherwise, isn't he?

>stem studs

I've always viewed it as too technical to be a humanities

>fell for the trade school meme
>make 51k starting + bonus depending on field work(usually 10-20k a year)
>median trade earnings are 130k, but this includes boomers with 40 years experience
>meanwhile university grads are making 80k starting and 150k after 5 years and have a higher prestige level

Just like a man is free to quit a job he hates working during a recession, right?
Freedom to go fuck yourself isn't freedom.

*Students, I wasn't thinking

>he went to college
>he didn't take the Wal-Mart pill

Economics is on par with archeology and linguistics in its reliance on mathematics as a research tool.

>>meanwhile university grads are making 80k starting and 150k after 5 years
Good news, user

Just like he's free to quit a job he hates anytime. He chooses to do the job because he values the resources more than his equanimity. I'm not saying it's "right," but nevertheless as choice is made.

You realize how much of a pseudo-intellectual you sound like, right? You're derailing the convo based solely on technicalities, and garbage technicalities at that.

"Just like he (a POW) is free to not give up info. He chooses to give up info because he values not being tortured more than his comrades. I'm not saying it's "right", but nevertheless a choice is made."
>nevertheless a choice is made

It's a liberal arts degree.

Not true. There are state colleges, like many UC's, University of Illinois, University of Washington, etc that can provide similar quality, but not anywhere near a majority.

source: I attend a mediocre state college with shittons of illiterate Mexicans

collegedata.com/cs/data/college/college_pg03_tmpl.jhtml?schoolId=820
>Tuition and Fees: In-state: $12,262
Higher than SDSU (and NIU isn't as good as SDSU) but really not that much overall. Add a couple thousand for books, parking, and misc. If you already have an associate's you should only need the equivalent of two years of schooling. If you absolutely cannot pay for any of the tuition, then your tuition loan debt is still going to be only ~$25,000. Perfectly manageable.

>he