Just started running 1 mile this week and I think I'm getting shin splits already

Just started running 1 mile this week and I think I'm getting shin splits already.

What the fuck do I do?

Run times were:
M: 12:37:46
W: 11:27:97
F: 11:09:72

So it's not like I'm even pushing myself that hard...

When I left for the run tonight I could feel my shins as soon as I increased pace.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=proper running form&oq=proper running form&aqs=chrome..69i57.5296j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

are you overweight?

1. fix your form
2. get better shoes

this

Kinda, 230lbs but I'm 6'5.

1. Form?
2. Got a pair of Nike Runners, don't think it's the shoes.

>230lbs but I'm 6'5.

Ya you're overweight, you're putting a lot of stress on your joints

Shin splints will go away if you keep pushing it but then your ankles and lower leg will get REALLY sore

I'm 5'8 and I the difference for me being 180lbs to 150 lbs was night and day in terms of running. when I was 180 I could barely run 3 miles a week without being in pain, so I stopped. now I run 10-20 a week and the shin splints I had only lasted one or two days, but other then that, no pain.

I'd advise that you stick to the elliptical until you lose some weight and get into a healthy range

You don't want to ruin your knees/ankles.

If you absolutely must run, try to keep it to once a week and if possible, not on pavement.

>I'd advise that you stick to the elliptical until you lose some weight and get into a healthy range

Can't. I got a power rack at home and a ton of goodies but no cardio stuff.

Only running option is pavement.

Maybe sand if I run the beach.

Considering buying a bike.

Know anything about bikes?

Stretch your legs AFTER every run. Do a line of lunges and high knees BEFORE your run. Keep your elbows at 90 degrees and lift your knees when you run. Eating a banana after a run helps.

im 6'2 and 250 and have been running multiple times a week, you're exaggerating

Following up, if you run on the beach, don't push forward with your feet, push up when you run on sand. I said to keep your arms at 90 degrees, but also try simultaneously keeping them at your sides, preferably keeping hands at your waistline.

i know about bikes! i can help with that

OP I've been battling shin splints my whole life. Whenever they get REALLY bad, I get new shoes and they go away

Know of anything "beachy" I can find on Amazon since I live in a beach town?

what kind of surfaces are you mostly going to be riding on?

>form?

google.com/search?q=proper running form&oq=proper running form&aqs=chrome..69i57.5296j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

>Keep your elbows at 90 degrees and lift your knees when you run

Please tell me you're not telling me to run like an anime character...

I didn't say fling your arms behind you like naruto or sanic

>I said to keep your arms at 90 degrees, but also try simultaneously keeping them at your sides

I'm officially lost.

>what kind of surfaces are you mostly going to be riding on?

Pavement. Possibly sand.

Youre probably overweight. Check your form (forefoot or midfoot stride). Try building up to it, also. A mile's kinda far.

>A mile's kinda far.

A mile is exactly what a loop around the gated community I live in is.

Eventually I want to run 3 miles 2 times a week and 5 miles once.

okay, if you can stay off of the sand, i've got more to work with. pavement and sand are complete polar opposites as far as bike buying goes

whats your budget?

Nothing cheap, nothing outrageous, nothing that makes me look like the guys in pic related... Although I do see a ton of them around here always in a pack of 20 to 30.

to be honest, man, there's a lot of fuckin options there and in a budget like that a lot of them will be fairly interchangeable as far as brands and such go. as far as "fitness" bikes go, stick to some style of road bike, as it will be the most fun to ride if you stick to paved surfaces, thin tires do NOT do well on sand

At 6'5, you're gonna need an XL frame and im not seeing too many good ones on amazon, so unfortunately i can't give you a super specific recommendation. I would say to check out any local bike shops so you can get a proper fitting and some actual "hands on" experience with finding what you like in a bike.

Personally, as someone who has been riding for 5+ years and working on bikes for almost 2 years, i would not spend less than $300 (msrp) on a new bike. Thats when you start getting out of "buyer beware" territory

There is usually always also a Bike Buying General over on /n/ so definitely check that out too if you're interested (hopefully that link works i always forget how it goes)

Thank you!