/fitlit/ thread

Post books that help you make it.

>Camus
Litlets, when will they ever learn?

Camus is for fags

No, he helps me find meaning.

Reminder that you're on /fitlit/, no homo.

>implying
Did you even read the book?

Yes, I face the absurd. When I push that boulder all the way to the top and have it roll down I walk down to fetch it again but while I'm walking down without the boulder I look at the sun setting and I think about my life, I feel happy and I find meaning myself.

>and I find meaning myself
Ugh, fine whatever. Philosophical suicide m8.

Absurdism is trash. It's the worst or at least least useful bits of existentialism, with all substance removed.

We must imagine Sisyphus swole

camus can do
but satre is smartre

Kek

Wasn't a life changing book by any means but still helped me come into my own, start dealing with depression, and start making positive changes in my life

Can't wait to hear everyone shit on me and this book tho

Dostoyevsky: Brothers Karamazov
Barth: Chimera
Jordan B. Peterson: Maps of Meaning - The Architecture of Belief
Joseph Campbell: The Hero with a Thousand Faces
Sapolsky: Why Zebras Dont Get Ulcers
ETA Hoffmann: The Life and Opinions of the Tomcat Murr
Mircea Eliade: The Sacred and the Profane
Roth: American Pastoral
Arno Schmidt: Leviathan
Ernst Junger: Storm of Steel
Don DeLillo: Underworld
Rabelais: Gargantua and Pantagruel
Kafka: The Trial
Mann: The Magic Mountain
Proust: In Search of Lost Time (Swann's Way)
Tolstoy: Resurrection
Julio Cortázar: Short Stories
Borges: Fictions
Hamsun: Hunger

fwiw Ive been reading my whole life. Tried to lurk on Veeky Forums but that board is just the most pretentious pile of garbage there is. No constructive discussions possible whatsoever. Some things on the list will be memes, others have never been posted there. They have all been influential to me in some way or another.

What's that peterson book like? Did it sort you out?

The boulder gets 1lb heavier every time it rolls back down.

Read Jung, Eliade and Campbell before. Its 900 pages and there's no fluff. He uploaded the pdf on his website, so you can take a look at it.

Hey brah, thanks for the recommendation. This thread is shit and almost the only people in here are hating on the only book here which I started with.
More and more people make it each year and leave this place behind, you get stuck with the self-hating people who multi browse different boards and come here just for the memes.
Don't worry man, we're both gonna make it. We'll leave this place one day, we'll make it.
We just gotta keep our heads high.

>900 pages
>no fluff
if you can't get an idea across in 300 pages then fuck you tbqh

Thanks, I've been meaning to read some of those books, a lot of them I don't know which I'll definitely check out.

Im
Here are another few recommendations in case you feel lost. And please consider reading Resurrection by Tolstoy, at least.

Go to Veeky Forums for this kind of nonsense, friend.

forgot pic

If you want fiction, McCarthy or McMurtry are great for westerns, and though it tends to ramble, most of Kerouac is good for inspiration about traveling/meditation type stuff. Hemingway is my fav author, I tend to stay away from he circle jerk Veeky Forums stuff because everyone there is a pretentious fuck. I can throw my Goodreads name down if you want more suggestions

Please do, I'm a big fan of Hemingway too and I've read one book with McCarthy, always wanted to get into him more. Kerouac seems very interesting.

McCarthy is great indeed. Suttree especially, and Blood Meridian is a tour de force

Posting for newfags

The beats are often overlooked for all sorts of reasons, even their ideas of Buddhism are interesting. Even if you're a purist and think it's shit, hell they're influential af. You want to get down to stacked brass of the diamond dozen American New Agers it's a pretty decent place to start.

Don't know how to post my GR profile without doxxing myself and Veeky Forums won't let me post the invite URL sorry brahs

Last time I'll probably post itt but my suggestions aside from hemingway, McCarthy, McMurtry would be Heller (catch-22 and god knows), AB Guthrie (the big sky), anything Vonnegut, and the Ishmael books from Daniel Quinn.

I'm confused is that a book title you posted?
Thanks, fit lit newfag

The beats are dudes like Kerouac, Ginsberg and Burroughs. If you've heard of On The Road that's a famous piece of work from the beat movement. They're somewhat similar to Bukowski (despite his protestations), and influenced Pynchon a while lot in his early years. I guess gonzo and Hubter S Thompson must have been too but I can't recall a specific connection.

And ofc that K Pop group. I can't speak any Korean so I can only assume their songs are all references to the literature.

'Hard to be a God' by Strugatsky Brothers. A very nice piece of fiction.

Being and Time. Read it now. Dive into it, Heidegger explains everything he does, it's just very abstract. Don't be afraid. We're all gonna make it.

That book should reduced to a post it note:

"Just don't think about it bro, just pretend you don't want to kill yourself"

Obviously a philosophy this shallow is not something you will be able to maintain for very long.

>Romeo and Juliet should be reduced to a post it note: "Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks"

But it's exactly opposite
it's
>think about your death every day bro
>you can kill yourself if you want but thats for losers senpai
>create your own meaning in this life pal
>art, sex and succes is where it's at bub

read nietzsche nigger

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

thanks for reminding me to meditate