Why do you lift, user?

>Why do you lift, user?

How the fuck do I answer this question. I have received it a few times recently and I have been absolutely shocked by my lack of a reply.

>"I like to lift because...I like to lift I guess"

I sound like such a dumb meathead. How the fuck am I supposed to answer this?

I started fucking around with strength training in my teens because I was a weak shit and years later I've kept going because....? I don't know. I like to do it. I enjoy my workouts. It's a fun short and long term hobby.

How am I supposed to answer this question?

Something along the lines of..

"Why not? It takes a few hours out of my week and means I'm stronger than the majority of people, and it has a number of benefits regarding muscle and bone health"

Really focus on the "few hours per week" part if the person asking is someone who "lifts in the library" so to speak.

Becos it get mi eesi poosi xp

Ask them why they brush their teeth.

You're just looking after your muscles and hence avoiding back/neck/other pains later in life

OP just say "I dunno, I like it I guess" and then wear a dorky smile. Embrace the meathead status, jus b urself

Dodging the question. Honestly sounds worse

I like to take care of myself

If you say anything more than a sentence long you come off as an insecure meathead

When women ask: I like to lift, because I used to be morbidly obese. I enjoy the control it gives me over my own body. I enjoy improving myself everyday and being able to visibly see the results of my efforts. And limiting the unhealthy foods I eat, allows me to enjoy them more, because it's a delicacy.

as one user said
>"because it's the only way to live"

Look better
Feel better
Body is healthier
Lifting and a healthy diet avoids a lot of health problems now and later in life

keep mind and body healthy
gives you energy
you feel better
your day is structured
your discipline improves
you like being active
if youre good looking and girl cheekily asks you, you can thrust harder

to feel better
to get her back

I like to pick things up and put them back down.

BECAUSE EVERYONE POUND OF MUSCLE I GAIN FILLS UP THE INFINITE VOID MY HIGH SCHOOL ONEITIS LEFT IN MY HEART

I like being a big guy. Everybody respects me more.

Serious answer. I work out because when I'm in shape everything else in my life gets better. I feel better, not just physically, but emotionally. The fact that I'm accomplishing something positive for myself on almost a daily basis, improves my attitude, disposition and breeds self confidence. Speaking of attitude, there's also the subconscious benefit of seeing and feeling the long term results of accumulation of months of work. You begin to realize that change isn't easy, it isn't fast, you have to keep working at it a bit at a time, but in the long run it's worth it.

The real question, isn't why do I lift, but why don't you?

Scientific answear: It give me dopamine and it's the hormone of happiness. Me I go with "I face life with gretter odds" I don't no If it's correct English sorry :/

Well m'lady I'm glad you asked. Being a devout atheist I believe in what's called natural selection and survival of the fittest. Your gender is programmed to prefer the biggest strongest males to reproduce with.. it's just in your nature. And since evolutionarily speaking reproduction is all that matters in life.. well I believe you can begin to understand why it is exactly I "lift".. so to speak.

>Dodging the question

Not really.
There are more legit reasons to lift than there are to not lift.

Asking "why not" is a more valid question.

>I enjoy it.

Wow, that was hard. How autistic are you people.

This.
I just say I was a fat kid who decided not to be fat anymore.
Once I am comfortable with that person I tell them the true reason why I lift.
To have a big chest and bully chestlets as well as manlets.

I started judo to have a socially interesting reason to lift, especially since I do str, not bb.

>Why do you lift, user?
I wanna be a big guy

I want to see the limitations of my human self, both body and mind.

I've never been asked this question, but I've thought about what could be my answer:
I go to the gym because it gives me discipline. At the end of a shitty week, if I've kept up with my schedule, then it's not a shitty week. Also I truly believe that I'm building a better version of myself, not that I hate my current self but I guess it's exciting to think about what I could be in a few months! Also I look fucking better;

>I like to do it. I enjoy my workouts. It's a fun short and long term hobby.
You've said it yourself.
Just say that.
That's reason enough.

"I like it" is a perfectly acceptable answer. Don't be a pussy. You don't have to justify, argue, defend, or explain your choice.

Job performance, stress relief, male bonding. Nothing like bringing a handle of vodka into your home gym and trading war stories while doing shots and working up to heavy deadlift double and triples with bros you haven't seen in a while.

>"I used to be the fat kid frowing up and never want to be like that again"
and spin it into a "healthy lifestyle" or something about how you have/had friends you used to lift with. Make is sound like a social activity the same way you would a more legitimate team sport.

Ive never been asked this but I guess Id just tell them that I do it becuse men ought to be strong. Dont care if that makes me sound autistic. Do you really need some external reason to try to be physically superior? What a stupid fucking question.

>Why do you lift, user?
because I want to

To get strong.

Strong people have always impressed me, when I was little I started envying strength.

As I grew up, I learned that I to, can be big and strong just like Arnold/spiderman/strongmen on tv! All I have to do is lift weights and eat right, but I kept putting it off/getting distracted/forgetting, eventually I saw "weight lifting" as one of the elective class choices to take way back in high school, so 5'9 126 pound Auschwitz mode me started hitting the weight room.

I went from being the MOST weak person in the class to being around average in 6 months, and for a while I didn't even care/realize the visual changes in my body until others starting pointing it out that I actually had noticeable biceps.

I know i'll never be "strong enough", but i'm perfectly fine with that, current I really enjoy for once being one of the strongest people in my gym, at this point I don't even feel right if I don't hit the gym that day.

>Why do you lift, user?
Because the four hours I spend working under a barbell every week pays benefits for the other one hundred sixty four hours.
Because not dying on the job is cool.
Because being one of the oldest people at work while being one of the strongest is hilarious.
Because muscle losses accumulate at my age and no amount of cardio stops it.

You lift because you are insecure, the truth is hard to admit that's why. You didnt lift because you were weak, you felt weak and felt the need to compensate for it even though contemporary society doesn't value brawn anymore, you have regressed on a evolutionary level due to insecurity, you basically flinched at life and fucked up, that's why you go blank when someone asks you why you lift because the truth hurts to admit. If staying healthy isnt your primary goal in terms of fitness you fucked up somewhere along the way, you need to work the most important muscle of all, the heart and the brain, if you instead opt to work garbage muscles like biceps, lats, thighs you're working backwards and doing inane pointless caveman tier shit. Wake up to yourself and never post whinnie the pooh like this bullshit ever again

"It's good for my health, it's fun to progress on lifts, and it makes me look better"

When I was a little kid, my dad used to do this thing where he would throw me up into the air, directly above him, and then catch me as I fell back down. The feelings of flying into the air and seeing my dad, the hero of my world, shrink away with the ground; of the moment of stillness at the peak of flight; and of seeing his smile get closer as I plummeted back to Earth before being caught handily in his outstretched arms were incredible. He could do anything.

My dad did this for years with three children and never dropped one. He says that one day he launched one of us over six feet into the air, and after the catch realized it might be time to quit while he was ahead. But the memory of being thrown into the air like that will always be buried in my mind as an innate trust of my father's strength.

I'd like to be a dad someday. So I'm lifting for my future kids.

Just say something simple there's hundreds of reasons to lift and zero not to. They dont want a real answer just say something like my doctor said its good for me or its good exercise or something

"Because I like it"

easy as that

>>Why do you lift, user?
Because it's literally the only thing in my pathetic life that makes me feel good and I have some sort of control and discipline over, haha.

underrated post

>You're just looking after your muscles and hence avoiding back/neck/other pains later in life
>avoiding back/neck/other pains
>by doing squats, deadlifts etc.
LMAO

Reee

>why do you lift user?
I am training
>oh what are u training for?
LIFE, motherfucker

Because it's fun taking my anger out by picking heavy weights up and putting them back down

You lack a personality that's all.

How else would I be able to carry all those feels?

It's the only way to fight the crippling depression. DO NOT EVER STOP LIFTING.

When I was lifting 3 years ago, I was the happiest in my life.
I had a loving girlfriend, did great in uni, everything was going good. I made good gains, felt more attractive, outgoing and sexual.

Then I quit lifting due to work and university.

Within a year I became a shell of my former self. I didn't even recognize myself anymore.
I obsessed over politics and started to indulge in escapism.

She dumped me after 5 years because I could no longer hide the effects my depression had on me.
I tried to cover up my mental problems, but you cannot keep this up forever.

All the depression, anxiety and INCREDIBLE fear came back. I was procrastinating my life and became a self-loathing, underachieving idiot.

I'm lifting again. My spirits are coming back. I hate myself so much for ever quitting. She was honestly wife material. We already planned our future together.

I'm not talking ONEITIS delusion, she was just great.

DO NOT STOP LIFTING, IT WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE

Fuck, man.

thanks for reading my blog post

Look them dead in the eye and say "It's the right thing to do"

Just tell them that you like getting stronger, mention a little bit of something about how it helps keep you healthy throughout your whole life instead of burning out when you hit 35

"I do it for a 2D anime girl that doesn't actually exist that I consider to be my wife."

"I also want to cosplay as muscular characters from fictional works."

And the economy hasn't even collapsed yet. Sheesh user we told them have the faith of a mustard seed. Ah well can't help them all. Oh well. Time for some morning gardening

That sounds extremely condescensing if you say that to someone who is unfit (which the majority of people who ask this question would be).