What are some moments from any time in history where it seemed like huge changes would come of it but nothing ever...

What are some moments from any time in history where it seemed like huge changes would come of it but nothing ever happening?
Pic related being an example.

bump

Everything between these two countries in the past few years. This shit, Russians association w Assad which now directly opposes Turkey's actions in Northern Syria, the assassination, and the shooting down of war planes. All could be considered enough to trigger conflict, and yet nothing.

I'm honestly amazed at how little the Syrian conflict has expanded with the amount of huge players involved.

Everyone has too much to lose. They can't back out, but they can't go all in. It's a delicate balance.

Syrian civil war definitely. The Arab Spring for the most part was just shithole countries overthrowing their leaders (with or without external help) and replacing them with equally shitty leaders or no solid leadership at all.

The most relevant and recent false-start were the race riots over the various cop killings. Between my liberal friends/families and the faggots on this website it would have been easy to be convinced that we were on the cusp of a major societal breakdown in the US, but fast-forward many months and it's just business as usual.

Really puts into perspective how much the internet, despite its wide usage, is still really only home to extremely vocal minorities. Browsing the internet you'd think the world is going to hell in a handbag and major changes are upon us but in reality 99% of the people who live in developed countries are just going to work, coming home, chilling with friends/family then going to bed to repeat the process tomorrow.

When the Soviets shot down Korean Air Lines Flight 007.

The flight from NY to Seoul strayed off course ino restricted Russian airspace, the Soviets were aware of US reconnaissance fights in the general are and misidentified the aircraft as a spy plane, somehow.

Aboard the aircraft was a member of the United States Congress from Georgia. The Soviets denied shotting down the aircraft, but obstructed US led search and rescue operations around the patch of ocean where the flight went down. Later the Soviets admitted shooting it down, but claimed it was not a passenger plane, or at least was ALSO a spy plane.

Tensions and accusations ratcheted up from there, with incidents like the Port Authority in NY refusing to allow Russian planes landing rights.

"Soviets shoot down passenger plane with US Congressman aboard then act like dicks about it" would have seemed likely to get out of hand pretty badly. Fortunately the Reagan administration and the Soviets confined the subsequent war to a war of words.

Maybe before NATO
I relish the day NATO and all technology and information relating to nuclear warfare disappear from the face of the Earth forever

Honestly this, every time I open Veeky Forums I end up thinking teh apokalips is upon us, but nothing really changes.

>Disappears
>Rediscovered mere years later
>Doesn't matter because new more dangerous methods to destroy the planet already devised
Huh

>muh nukes
they were first used in 1945, it's been 70 years and way more powerful tools have been created

I don't think singular moments bring huge changes in the first place, and the impulse to think so is just a bias of our image driven technology that captures snapshots and writes narratives around them.

It's probably the other way around: the story is long and builds up with all the speed and force of a glacier, and iconic moments are just the odd slab of ice breaking away.

The election of Donald Trump as President of the United States.

>>Way more powerful tools have been invented
>Death Star is fiction faggot
>Nukes are still the most dangerous weapons

It caused huge polarisation among the americans like never before seen

No.

when was another time like this?

It caused huge polarization among idiots, the rest of us aren't exactly pleased but we're holding shit down and going about business as usual.

Polarization has been on the increase since the 1970s. Trump is in line with the general trendline.

Stop watching MSM.

>All could be considered enough to trigger conflict, and yet nothing.
Countries don't share a border and land-wise have no disputes.

2 countries have very strong economical ties to each other so hurting each other would be just hurting yourself just as much if not more.

Also a number of central asian states (who have historical and cultural ties to both) are directly interested in quelling the fires, so few calls were made directly to putin and erdogan.

This. What really changed? Nothing, from the perspective of a Euro like me he seems just like any Republican president, with some minor peculiarities.

Well there was that small fight in the 1860s. But yeah you're right.

>I can’t wait till major wars that kill millions come back into fashion! It will be just like one of my animes!

>Between my liberal friends/families
I’ve noticed most of my liberal friends have gone silent on the whole BLM thing. I think they realized how cancerous the movement is and that many of BLM’s landmark cases (e.g. Mike Brown) involve completely justified shootings, and they’re embarrassed to have supported the movement in the first place.

things are different today. the ruling classes strongly want to avoid major upsets to the prevailing world order, as wwi was. were the killing of archduke ferdinand to happen today, a world war would not follow

It's more likely that they like most people have just moved on mentally. That's what I'm getting at in regards to how the World keeps turning even when we're in the midst of what seems like apocalyptic circumstances.

How much attention has BLM gotten in the media in general over the past few months? Almost none. Without a massive event to keep it relevant it's just going to fizzle out like Occupy did. Public consciousness moves too fast for things like to stay important for long.

If you already are speaking about t*rks. The attempted coup was a much more major happening which saddly changed exactly nothing. This and the recent protests in Spain.
Political uprisings nowadays tragically are only possible with an extremely impoverished, unstable country and that only with the help of some other power smugling weapons and combatants in to light the fires. Beating down riots is too easy for an organized police force and millitary.

It is the result of an already existing polarisation.

Geez, give the guy some time.

In this case
Turkey needs Russia
Russia needs Turkey

Turkey has a good bond with Pakistan and China. These are among the strongest military wise in Asia. So if Russia is in good terms with Turkey, they will also be with the rest.

A couple of weeks after the shooting down of the planes, Russia and Turkey stopped trading. Correspondingly, methane gas in Turkey tripled in price, Ali express stopped shipping to Russia and the price of apples was around 500 rubles per kg.

Essentially, this dispute wouldn't solve anything.

>The attempted coup
You mean Erdogan's orchestrated purge of dissidents in the military and police?

That's exactly why it hasn't.

Russia doesn't want Syria to have an oil-pipe transit from Iraq to Europe (protip: search for current oil/gas pipelines in the Middle East and see which country alone is not part of the network, which may help explain the ongoing civil war in this mysterious land). This would provide competition against it's near oil-gas monopoly to Europe. Assad is happy to go along with this in exchange for Russian help. Guess which rebel armies are OK with pipeline plans?

Russia, meanwhile, is a paper tiger. It needs to appear fierce and militarily strong, also to distract its own population from the fact they are living with declining standards in a repressive mafia-state. Russia would get rekt in any large scale conventional conflict (dem nukes though), so it only pushes at the edges without going full retard.

America/NATO cannot afford to stretch itself even more, what with the piss poor results to show for it's 10+ year wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. What a collasal waste of money.

Meanwhile Iran and Saudi Arabia have proxy wars going on. Then you've got Israel is in the mix, who is now being cozied up to (militarily) by Saudi and other Sunni powers (culturally, most people still pretty much hate Israel).

Not to sound tinfoil kooky, but it's the media that (indirectly) prevents it from getting too out of hand. They generally have wealthy corporate owners who are not fond of chaotic developments hurting those quarterly income reports.

>Russia would get rekt in any large scale conventional conflict
Citation needed

>no one lists any iconic moments

The fall of the USSR

That did change everything though

Quite the opposite, in fact; nothing of any relevance at all had changed.
Hope this makes sense.

in a nihilist standpoint, yes. None of anything ever really matters, eventually we'll all be dead and all our civilisation will go back into the dirt and then the sun will consume our system and that will be the end of the rock we live on.

cute chicken btw

It's a large but crumbling army, poor conditions, low innovation. Firing a barrage of cruise missiles or a fleet of jets striking targets that can't fight back is not any kind of measuring stick.

It's elite forces are OK, but that's not saying much. The majority of its forces are shit.

It depends on what perspective you take, but most of the post-Soviet world is not really any better than before. Police states with shit economies.

The Baltics, Poland and Czech/Slovak Republics are the possible exceptions. Not exactly shining poster children, but better off than the rest anyway. And that is certainly due to NATO and EU gibs.

You sound very enlightened

Me losing my Virginity

we're talking about things that have happened already

Cuban Missile Crisis?

>Soviets

I honestly think that his presidency is just a particular flamboyant step in the general demise of the USA which won't mature into a proper 'happening' for atleast a half century or so.

yes yes yes

come on the turkish coup was obviously a genuine thing which erdogan spawned to solidify his reigme
left wing organisations giving more confrence to left wing protests isn't surprising

Don't be an idiot.

Did he really use that as his base of operation and if so did he prefer piranhas or sharks with lazer-cannons mounted on their backs?

>implying we're not regularly being sedated by consumerism to the point that huge shifts are all happening under the radar but we're too ignorant and unaware to notice

>media
>left wing
Depends on the place really, my home country has actually recently suffered a right wing coup entirely backed by the media. We should rather say that the oligarchies that get power from the media are not specifically right or left wing, though obviously with an agenda of their own

Where're you from nigga?

>but most of the post-Soviet world is not really any better than before
Only the part which stayed under Russian influence.

>And that is certainly due to NATO and EU gibs.
"no"

I'm not, are you?

the united states

>Posts idiotic bullshit
>Claims he's not an idiot.
Okay dingus.

What country?

Not an argument.

This, they can either show off their 'mighty' army, or the wooden loos in their backyards. They won't show us anything in the field of Russian innovation or medicine.

the Space Race saga
not the changes I wanted anyway

Definitely the collapse of the soviet union.
It's true it was a huge event in and of itself, but it was also supposed to be the beginning of world peace, the start of a new era of globalization, and the eternal victory of the american liberal system, the end of history etc. None of that happened.

Then 9/11 happened and dumbass americans realized 10 years late none of that would ever happen. And 9/11 didn't change that much things too. Just the culmination of tensions rising up under people's nose in the "post 90 era of peace".

>the end of history
lol. this is what tards always think anytime something 'big' happens.

>Only the part which stayed under Russian influence.
Then you agree with me, cool.

>"no"
Yes. The Baltics and the Visegrad group are the only real exception. Of course general liberalization gave them a leg up, but they have certainly profited from EU membership. East Germany too, but that's a bit different for obvious reasons, namely Germany being one of the world's leading economies in 1989 (and today).

lol, I thought you meant a country that had an actual coup, not just a vote result you don't like.

FWIW, although I'd agree Trump is a dumpster fire in the middle of a train wreck, the real coup was in winning the GOP nomination (he won), and the even bigger coup was Clinton et al treating the nomination like her personal right (she lost).

>FWIW, although I'd agree Trump is a dumpster fire in the middle of a train wreck, the real coup was in winning the GOP nomination (he won), and the even bigger coup was Clinton et al treating the nomination like her personal right (she lost).

>"Hi, I hate Trumpkins but don't you think Hildogs are just as bad? Ever notice how Trumpkins are always complaining about stuff?... "

>the real coup was in winning the GOP nomination
I'm not sure I would call that a coup and it illustrates one of the most depressing things about US politics, any outsider has to go through the main parties because there is no chance in hell of you winning as a third party.

How did you get that from that?

Do you have a point to make, kiddo?

Obviously we're not talking about literal coups. In theory, grass-roots support can lead to nominations. But it's easy to buy support with SuperPACs and all the "lobbying", so that both parties are basically run on plutocratic principles. It's a shit system, yes.

who the fuck thought this was going to cause a huge change? Some retarded 16 year olds on /pol/?

diplomats get killed all the time

>the election of Donald Trump caused polarisation among americans like never before seen
I think America was probably more polarized during its civil war...

>In October 2016 Dolezal legally changed her name to Nkechi Amare Diallo.[130][131] She later clarified that she still intends to use the name Rachel Dolezal "as her public persona," but that she changed her name to have a better chance of landing work from employers who might not be interested in hiring the controversial Rachel Dolezal.[132] By February 2017, she was on food stamps, estranged from most of her friends, and on the brink of homelessness after having no success in finding another job.[32]

But this one was aesthetic as all Hell.
It would've made for great pictures in history books.

I do wonder how long he practiced those poses in the mirror.

>The most relevant and recent false-start were the race riots over the various cop killings. Between my liberal friends/families and the faggots on this website it would have been easy to be convinced that we were on the cusp of a major societal breakdown in the US, but fast-forward many months and it's just business as usual.

Because the reality is people don't really want shit to change. They have more important things to care about like the mortgage.

BLM was a Soros op to get Hilldog elected. Noticed how they've all but vanished from the mainstream?

why did you think this would effect anything?

oh please

this.

We can't just keep increasing in population. As it stands if we didn't throw out as much food as we do, we make enough food per year to feed about 12 billion people. What do we do when we've surpassed that?

fixed.

That's not the point I was making. The reality is most Americans really don't care much about politics, they figure all politicians are shit so they just stick to caring about their own lives.

I'll give him credit for not just killing himself like a bitch after and actually fighting it out until security gunned him down.

L'AMBASSADEUR

LE DEBUT KINO PAR MEVLUT MERT ALTINTAS

during Obama's administration

ration meat, cut back on inessentials, strict 2-3 child limits (ahem, Africa, Asia), and maybe some 12 Monkeys shit.

Literally noone thinks we'll get to 12 billion. The population is probably going to taper off to 10 billion. Not to mentioned farming is nowhere near as land efficient as is could be.

>America, meanwhile, is a paper tiger

Fixed that for you

not going to totally disagree in terms of personnel, but the US is technologically far superior, at least for now. Morale is generally better in the US forces too.

Russia is a crumbling police state, don't forget it.

>Russia is crumbling
It's far more stable than the US politically. In Russia Putin is pretty much unchallenged while the US seems to be on the brink of a civil war.

>while the US seems to be on the brink of a civil war.
It's really not, most people don't give a shit. Please don't buy into the sensationalism, most people wouldn't want a civil war because it would disrupt their jobs.

What happens when Putin is gone? So is the stability. Russia's economy is a joke compared the the US.
The idea that the US is close to civil war is hilarious.

I'll be willing to bet that under the table, Turkey and Russia have always been friendly.

>It's far more stable than the US politically....
The United States is the world's oldest currently existing regime, dynamic instability is hardcoded as one of its principle design features, that's how they stop one political party or coalition of political parties from forming a unity centrist virtual single-party system like what Russia currently has with United Russia. Americans have always gotten nasty when they debate politics, but they're ultimately still fiercely loyal to the public system and their idea of instigating change is by surging in vast numbers into the ballot box. You never heard about the political opponents of Barack Obama or Donald Trump conveniently ending up murdered. Both sides are quick to accuse the other of being violent thugs and are waiting for a moment like the John Brown incident as "proof" that the other side is up to no good, while going out of their way to present as wholesome a front as possible.
>seems to be on the brink of a civil war.
It's virtually impossible. For one thing, states are gimped and (almost) everyone knows if one tries to leave the Federal Government will drop the hammer on them. People also don't fucking appreciate how disciplined and well organized American law enforcement is. They learned their lessons at Waco and Ruby Ridge, and last time someone tried to start a violent revolution, the police just "outlasted" them in a siege until public interest petered out, and then things were quietly resolved in the courts. Even local municipalities are now packing armored vehicles and fully equipped SWAT teams, to the point where some people would go so far as to call them militarized. Americans are getting worked up, but widespread civil strife is still only a very remote possibility

>the US is close to a civil war
t. oath keeper.

>Russia Putin is pretty much unchallenged
lol, well that tends to be the effect when you shut down all free independent press and replace it with literal propaganda, have goons murder journalists, then poison, harass, imprison and kill your political opponents, and offer positions in return for patronage, stuff ballot boxes, use the church to disseminate nationalist propaganda, etc. This is not genuine stability. Alcoholism and petty violent crime is at appalling levels. Russians with half a brain and who have't drunk the kool-aid have zero faith in their Dear Leader. They know well enough to government pollsters what they want to hear, not what they think.

Stop watching RT.

> that's how they stop one political party or coalition of political parties from forming a unity centrist virtual single-party system
it's called the two party system faggot. we've had the same two parties for over 150 years at this point

>Even local municipalities are now packing armored vehicles and fully equipped SWAT teams
they are militarized. what do you think armored cars are for?