How limited are the benefits of martial arts, really?

How limited are the benefits of martial arts, really?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZlkLWxf_hEc
youtube.com/watch?v=6OZnwUUfk1I
youtube.com/watch?v=ch5SrutRfAQ
youtube.com/watch?v=nSbrbS4A-5w
youtube.com/watch?v=rDWLWd8WjBc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>practice any form(s) of martial arts for years
>acquire mastery of form(s)
>get into a fight
>other guy gets in one lucky punch that happens to knock you out
>fall on ground
>hit head and die

Fights don't work the way they do in movies with the whole blow-for-blow thing. Unless you're a career fighter, or reeeally need an outlet and lifting doesn't cut it, don't even bother. Fights are 100% luck.

Lol. You can't possibly have been in a fight ever.

t. never been in a fight

you're talking shit

>Get into a fight
>Guy who is the most motivated throws a punch that hits you in the jaw
>Fall down
>He gets on top of you and starts nailing you in the head

If you're strong and motivated you might be able to get out on top of that situation or maybe not depending.

TRY TO TAKE MY CHAIN I AINT GOIN THRU IT

Depends on what kind you mean. Anything that allows full-force sparring is useful in a fight. Anything that has you doing nothing but choreographed kata and such is worse than useless.

A fit man with a year or boxing and judo training will maul 95% of all people in a fight.

Three most important skills for random fights:

>Stuffing a shoot
>Simple catch to dominant cross
>Willingness to hit first.

Learn these three things and you'll be fine against most people.

Having done martial arts for a few years (though not at the moment) I would say they are great fun. So there is a happiness benefit.

As for self-defence... All else being equal you are of course much better off being trained. But personally I still think communication skills (in some, rather particular circumstances) and running are preferable options. Fights are best off avoided if possible.

>most motivated
lol that doesn't mean shit, stop watching so many movies

this

most autists and losers and loners here have their fantasies about going one on one with some Chad in their high school in defense of m'lady's honor.

others fantasize about defending themselves against packs of basketball americans or some other minority they are afraid of.

the truth about martial arts is that you don't apply the skills you learn in a sanitized vacuum. the real world is chaotic. chad is never alone. basketball americans will all jump you the second their buddy is in trouble. stacey still won't fuck you even if you beat them all up. people call the cops, people go to jail, and you can get sued into oblivion.

the best thing martial arts can impart upon you is avoiding and deescalating situations. the second best thing it teaches you is how to extricate yourself from a physical confrontation after the first blow is struck.

you don't 'need' to go clubbing or bar hopping. if you 'need' to learn martial arts to defend yourselves against drunk macho men at 2am then you should reevaluate your life choices.

that said, some people live/grow up in really shitty areas and doing martial arts as a teenager can really be a life saver. but since everyone here should be over 18 this shouldn't really apply to you, kiddos.

I do mma since Iam 10 months old wanna fite me fegit
?

There are benefits as long as:

the fight is 1v1 and nobody else is around

you literally can't get away

In terms of effectiveness for self defense, ranking best down to worst

Friends with guns + your own gun

no friends, but you have a gun

you have friends, but no weapon (not a gun)*

you have a weapon (not a gun)*

lone autist with muh BJJ and muh boxing

*are situational specific and can be switched around.

>you don't 'need' to go clubbing or bar hopping. if you 'need' to learn martial arts to defend yourselves against drunk macho men at 2am then you should reevaluate your life choices.

I agree with your conclusion but I think you have the wrong idea, because after years of clubbing and bar hopping I've never been under serious threat of getting my ass whooped by anyone, literally what are you doing that gets you in that situation

This x2, wrestling, judo, BJJ, muay thai and boxing are almost always good, others may or not be, but if you're not doing legit sparring it's useless. You shouldn't be getting into street fights.

i bet this is a german person

this is actually spot on m8.

>posts video frame of what appears to be a confrontation
>names it 1v5.jpg
>doesnt link a vid
comeon bro

there is some quote from the army or something that goes like 'the winner of hand to hand combat in war is the guy whose buddies show up with guns first'

street fights are literally retarded tier to be involved in. they are all centered around 'muh pride' 'muh rep' 'muh cred'

99% of the time they are never 1v1. even if agreed to be 1v1 it never stays that way when the loser's buddies jump in.

It's rarely a fair fight ie. xy vs 1, weapons, ambush, etc so it's not really worth it in the end imo.
Being big (pic related) will prevent 99% of fights and if that fails running away is second best option. Fight as a last resort because even a tiny flip knife can fuck you up for good.

Are you all retarded?
You'll gain speed and block the attacks when you're trained...

Did you even read the previous posts?

Martial arts are very effective if it's a one on one fight without any weapons. But the world doesn't work that way and people bring weapons, friends, or both.

Nevermind how good you are against one person or how big you are. Fighting against more than one person is going to be difficult.

can confirm, am big 4u and never got into a fight. Not trying to act "alpha" helps, high IQ helps too to deescalate situations unlike some brainlet

What is even the point of these posts? Obviously fights are a last resort sort of thing that can end horribly for any number of reasons. Nobody's talking about going looking for fights, just discussing how to learn fighting skills.

> Do Mauy Thai/BJJ for years (20-23)
> Older guys always inviting me shady bars
> Always go to shoot the shit and I just turned 21 so I loved to drink

I saw some crazy shit.
>A guy easily 6'4" 260 lbs punch a 40 year old lawyer whose 5'8" 160 lbs soaking wet (but whose trained for decades) square in the jaw to absolutely no effect, the big guy actually dislocated knuckles

> a chubby dentist in his 40s fight three guys in a hallway to the bathroom and knock all of them out, I mean unconscious on the ground, showing no sign of stress or concern after the fact

> Once saw an Irish guy who'd train a few times a week kick a dude with a .002 second side kick and snap the guys shin, his foot dangled loose like change in a sock - he passed out from shock the second he put any weight on it

They didn't train for any particular reason, and (I can't stress this enough) they just looked like random middle aged men. They loved bar fights though.

Didnt you honkies listen to biggie? Shit done changed, you Kung fu doin ass niggas gonna get the tec to ya neck.

thank you

But only one person can attack you when you're in a train for example.

>ignoring the rest of the sentence.

>Fights irl hurr durr
This is real life
youtube.com/watch?v=ZlkLWxf_hEc
youtube.com/watch?v=6OZnwUUfk1I
youtube.com/watch?v=ch5SrutRfAQ

basketball europeans and euro roaches attack in packs, but out of nowhere because they can do it.
good luck trying to run away, the only chance is to beat/stab the shit of a few guys, before they call 100 other guys that will lynch you.

>100% luck
what about boxing and mma?
those guys would kick ass in a bar brawl wouldn't they?

Bar brawls are movie bullshit.

Either you're in an upper scale establishment and the security team shuts it down before the second punch is thrown, or you're in some ghetto shithole and you the loser gets stabbed to death by lil puppet

Is it possible to taught yourself self defense?

kek i see your point

Yes but then they will be charged

You could probably learn from sources what's best to do in a situation, but there are some things you just can't teach yourself, especially martial arts. If you want to learn how to fight, you need an instructor to teach you the proper form and other stuff.

And you need someone to punch you really hard in the face so you realize it's not the end of the world, especially if you're already ugly.

Yeah, that's what i thought and i really don't have the time and money for that
I kinda regret now skipping out on kung-fu lesson when i was a kid thinking they're just glorified dancer

If you ever get in a fight make sure you have watched enough anime and street fighting videos and have won enough internet arguments so that you know what you are doing

This is the only acceptable answer. If you don't live in a place that allows concealed carry then you are just asking to get robbed and/or btfo.

story behind picture? is there a video?

I agree with this but get a concealed carry. As you said you don't know what can happen when you get knocked out. They could try to kill you after or you could die from impact. Either de-escalate the situation, or if they're not backing down and starting charging at you/swinging then draw and pop a few right in the chest.
A gun is a great equalizer and really the only way you're gonna win anything more than 1v1.

you could learn how to strike but defense is gonna be shite

We're saying that maybe the mindset of the OP is wrong and maybe they should consider buying a gun and training with that instead of martial arts which might give them a false sense of security.

>tfw you can now watch HD street fights and shit on youtube
TIME TO GET COMFY GUYS

youtube.com/watch?v=nSbrbS4A-5w

Depending on which MA you practice, it'll improve your balance, flexibility, form, technique, and mental discipline. A lot of the techniques you'll learn won't do you any good in fights, but you'll have the basics. If you're serious about fighting, then either go with Muay Thai or boxing, those will probably be the most beneficial to you.

he fell for the muay thai meme

how is muay thai a meme

Did you even read the first post?

Damn what camera is that?

youtube.com/watch?v=rDWLWd8WjBc
dayum that blondie has some nice teddies
what camera does this guy use tho

I'd give up everything in my life to come with you to those bars. It's just what I need

Horrible if you are referring to East Asian bologna.

Boxing, Wrestling, kick boxing, should be your go to's. Also learn how to get hit by a bunch of people all at once flailing at you.