Skinnyfat - Losing fat vs gaining muscle

Hello, Veeky Forums, Veeky Forums here. I started going to the gym a month ago, and have been making decent progress for someone who's never exerted himself. I'm mostly doing machines (pulldown, flyes, pulleys) and dumbbell presses.

I have completely overhauled my diet - bananas, milk, peanut butter, yogurt, steamed rice, meat without any junk food, sugar, soda or alcohol for the past couple of months

Is this good enough to get a well defined physique over half a year? I just want to set a goal for myself. Am I supposed to do cardio as well? I basically want to go from left to right in pic related

I am currently 6'3'', 187 pounds. Do I need to lose/gain weight?

I have a skinnyfat related question to putting on muscle

Is breakfast any more important than other meals during the day or does it really not matter?

Doing IF and currently 150lbs / 5'10 but thinking about stopping that and just getting a big protein rich breakfast

k ill try

>do i need to lose weight
i dont know how you look like. If you look like the left guy in your pic, yeah you definetely to lose weight. Your goal body is small, all you really need is low bodyfat.

>is this enough
it isnt about diet.
you build muscle depending on how hard you lift. You can have the most perfect diet in history and make zero gains if you dont lift hard enough. The body you want to achieve doesnt require any sort of autistic diet. Just get enough proteins and cut down.
If you dont make gains its not because of your diet, its because you dont lift hard enough, like 90% of people who go to the gym.

>t. someone whos jacked af and eats only shit but trains like a champion

>halph a year
definetely possible, but only if you have low enough bodyfat. Again, your goal body is mainly about bodyfat percentage, the muscles itself are small and easy to achieve.

>cardio
not needed. It obviously helps with cutting, but its not needed

Honestly, you just need to lift hard. And the keyword here is "hard". If you feel like you cant move a muscle anymore after your gym session and your face is red because of all the blood flowing through it and you struggle with each set then you are g2g.

if you want to put on muscle, i dont see why you would do IF, or why you would do any cutting diet at all.

Get your breakfast, this is nonsense

something i forgot to mention is that, even when you have the exact same definition and muscle size as your goal body, you wont look the same because this is taken from a move where this actors was covered in shiny oil and tan spray.
Then the movie and the lighting was edited to make him look extra "faboulus".

>150lb skeleton
Why are you fasting?

I see, the thing is that I'm afraid of injuring myself. I was hoping to make progress gradually.

I have been coming across terms like clean bulking and cutting a lot, is this a cycle of gaining mass and losing it until you get the body you like?

>Injuring myself
I dont see how this has anything to do with what i have said.

Yeah its exactly that, but assuming you are as fat as the pic you posted, i would recommend doing a slight cut (meaning being in a small deficit). You are giving yourself only halph a year, otherwise it wouldnt be necessary

I'm 5'9 144lb and still look fat as fuck.

Other user replying
Because of low muscle mass, you will look straight out of auschwitz if you cut down to low bf

As a beginner you can gain muscle and lose fat. Bulk 200-300 kcal above your tdee while training days and maintain during off days.

If thats too much hazzle just bulk 3-6 months and cut then. Being auschwitz is just cruelsome, believe me.

Fair enough, though I get the feeling that looking like a skelly is better than right now, which is tiny t-rex arms and blubber all over the belly and thighs.

Is this pic your goal? Otherwise I don't know what you're doing.

Listen to this nice user who saved me the trouble of typing that all out.

Probably going to regret posting this, but oh well! This was a month ago, after losing 48 pounds over a year and a half. A DEXA scan said 19~ body fat average (10% in the arms, 15-22% everywhere else).

Still think it makes sense to work on muscles rather than continue cutting?

>Still think it makes sense to work on muscles rather than continue cutting?
Yes. Imagine that exact same body you posted except skinnier. Is that really what you want? I'm not saying this to be mean, but you don't have muscle. Dropping weight will make you look thinner, but you will look even weaker than you do now.

>Still think it makes sense to work on muscles rather than continue cutting?

You can do both you know.

If you cut down without putting on some muscle, you will look even worse than you do now.

This is the mindset of cardio bunnys. They think fitness models are just low bodyfat and dont realize its the muscles that make them look good

I lost fat as I gained muscle and the most important thing is having a good dinner. During the day you run on fat. While you sleep you rebuild yourself so you better have avaiable building blocks

Alright then. So eat at TDEE + do something like SL or SS?

Here is a pic for reference, this guy is 5'10 160. You don't need to lose more pounds, that's isn't your problem, you severely lack muscle. If you're choosing between SS and SL then do SL since you will get frustrated by the lack of aesthetics you gain from SS. Eat more on days you train and less on days you don't.

187lbs is a pretty good weight to be at at 6'3. The problem is that you can split your body into three parts: bones, fat and muscle. Your goal is to lower the percentage of fat and up the percentage of muscle.
You can do this a little at a time. Eat at maintenance or slightly above until you hit say 200lbs (bulk). Then eat slightly below until you're back at 180 or so (cut). If you lift weights you'll add muscle on the bulk and keep it on the cut. A small bulk like this won't turn you into a powerlifter but after a bunch of cycles you'll have drastically altered the fat and muscle percentages.
Also lift free weights, compound lifts. Do them first, then machines for assistance afterwards.
Skinnyfat = small bulks and small cuts.

>it isnt about diet
uh, thats wrong. you can't out-train a shitty diet. this is the problem with Veeky Forums. You get retards that come on here and parrot other shit from people that parrot from other people.

nope.

training is what triggers muscle growth. If you train hard and eat a shitty diet, you still make gains if you are not starving yourself.

If you have a perfect diet and dont trigger muscle growth by training like a retard, why would you body start building muscle in the first place?

This is such simple logic and i cringe everytime a fucktard like you comes around and says "lmfao getting buff is like 90% diet iks dee".

eat veggies

because it is all fucking diet you dumb ass. If you pick up heavy things and dont eat. You will not give fuel to your body to recover and build muscle.

Can you get away with it for a little sure. But you will stall and on top of that, you will feel like shit cause you are exerting energy without replacing it.

Thanks for the advice, user.

Could someone elaborate on bulking and cutting, what exactly is it and where can I find good resources on it? The only thing I know is that pro bodybuilders use this, I did not know it was for amateurs and widely used. I'm the OP who's literally started gymming a month back

>possible over 6 months
Yes but you:re going to have to stop being a faggot and actually eat right and train hard in the gym
And I'm not talking about some pussy shit curling 10's either, you gotta rip your muscles up every day

as i said faggot, aslong as you dont starve yourself you are good to go. Everyone eats atleast maintencance and most people get enough proteins.

Diet is literally get enough calories and proteins, thats hardly "90%" you massive faggot.

stay dyel

>it isnt about diet.

>straight out of auschwitz

Lmao

>Eat more on days you train and less on days you don't.
Not OP, but by how much more and less would this be?