What does Veeky Forums think of this man?

What does Veeky Forums think of this man?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_on_the_Final_Settlement_with_Respect_to_Germany
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

he was unfairly demonized

i don't understand why he didn't continue the fight though

>i don't understand why he didn't continue the fight though

Because he had lost, genius
France isn't Russia, you can't retreat on several thousads of kms

And no, making your army retreat to fight in the colony isn't a voable option as your entire people in the mainland end up being hostage at the hands of the enemy

There was nothing he could do beside collaborating like every defeated country ever did

i was thinking they could continue the fight with the colonies but didn't think of
>the mainland end up being hostage at the hands of the enemy

De Gaulle did somehow continue the fight in the colonies, but for that it was necessary that someone like Petain would officially surrender and "collaborate" with the enemy, so the whole civilian population wouldn't be held responsible for De Gaulle's actions or used as pressure against it

The guys fighting in the colonies had to be a rogue entity and not the official French state, that way French civilians would be safe from reprisals

in the end i guess this is the best outcome

He was lucky he didn't get the guillotine

A damn good man, killed by treacherous mutineers at Craster's Keep

France wasn't even sold on the war, the minority party didnt care to fight.

Petain didnt want to fight from the start and wasn't going to fight after radicals (the political party) fucked up everything.

Add to it HItler was promising some what lenient peace terms with only alsace lorraine changing hands after the british surrendered.

I think MOST people in his shoes without foresite would have taken the same position he did.

>You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain

>And no, making your army retreat to fight in the colony isn't a voable option as your entire people in the mainland end up being hostage at the hands of the enemy
Then why does he do exactly that in Kaiserreich, huh?

>i'm whatever france needs me to be

Traitor quisling scum, deserved to be hung like a common brigand.

Death to collaborators. I feel the same for Germans that collaborated with the Allies.

He only did what a true Frenchman does; cowardly surrender in the face of the enemy. So its hard to demonise him any more than other people, or to expect anything more from him.

>I feel the same for Germans that collaborated with the Allies.

The Germans are still to this day under American occupation
Every single German person living in Germany right now and taking no action against US presence is a collaborator

indeed, I advocate exterminating the germans for several reasons. Being quislings is just one

That’s pretty much the “Sword and Shield” theory some Pétain apologists like to use. Obviously it’s not like Pétain and de Gaulle had a secret accord or anything like that, but I think it’s a theory that has some merit, both men did what was they thought was best for their country. Considering how brutal the Germans didn’t hesitate to be even with a conciliatory government and even more so as they retreated, a shield was perhaps much needed.

While I admire de Gaulle for his fighting spirit, his role in keeping the spirit of resistance alive in France’s darkest hour and giving us a seat at the victors’ table, I can’t bring myself to really dislike Pétain. I don’t know what I would have done in their shoes. Helps that I disagree with little of Pétain’s hastily cobbled together ideals, though.

Some of the swarmy fucks in his government, though, those that threw themselves at the feet of the Germans, those that gleefully profitereed off the occupation or those that threw their principles out of the window because France lost, those fuckers should hang (and they did).

You can’t lose the war if you have people fighting on both sides.

Because the ennemy in KR IS (a good of) the French people.

Decrepit defeatist geriatric fossil, like Gamelin, Weygand and the rest of the walking dead.

France was so lost in the interwar years that I think that if Hitler had been a bit more of a conciliatory diplomat and less high on revanchism, he could have turned the public in defeated France from resigned and bidding their time to at least begrudging (and valuable) allies. Just throw in some honorary aryan status, a bit of British bashing with some retconning to put the blame solely on them, maybe even a few territorial concessions taken from the British or whatever, and voilà, you have a lost people willing to grasp your open hand. As soon as he blew up that train wagon, tho, that set the tone, there was no chance of any kind of real cooperation.

Fascinating era in French History. Going from almost a far-right coup led by royalists to communists clinching power in the span of a few years, in a society just not managing to heal up from the Great War.

The hero of Verdun who saved France from defeat in WWI.

Was good in WWI, was a treasonous cuck in WWII.

>Going from almost a far-right coup led by royalists
Seriously, nationalists always ruin everything.

Unfairly demonized, did what he had to. France lost the fight, and if he kept up the fight hundreds of thousands of his people would have been slaughtered and the end result would've been the same. Hitler offered him lenient terms of surrender, and his acceptance also allowed de Gaulle to keep up the fight in the colonies without mainland France being held responsible. Good man, wrong place wrong time in history

A traitor who whored his country out to foreigners. No better than a leftist who votes to let Muslim immigrants run rampant in the streets of Paris. Should've been strung up from a lamppost.

>The Germans are still to this day under American occupation

Except they regained full sovereignty in 1991 and could vote to expel the American presence at any time if they wanted to

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_on_the_Final_Settlement_with_Respect_to_Germany

Senile

A member of the 5th column that encouraged defeatism, conservatism and stagnation in the french army.

traitor scum

Had you ever took a book to read about Pétain you would know it was the contrary : Pétain was the only high-level officer who gave any credit to de Gaulle's writing on the necessity for a new french military based around tank corps. He vowed even before WW1 to change France's military.

Pétain was 84 years old when he was given control of an already defeated France in 1940. He did what he thought was necessary to protect his country and change it to his values. He was not a hero. He wasn't a monster either.

Yeah I honestly think Petain was just trying to minimise the damage to France, after experiencing the abject destruction and suffering of WW1. There were other despicable cunts tho like Laval and Papon who deserved to hang.