/owg/

Where you at, brahs?
Unsure if the links below are all up to date. Just copy/pasted from a previous owg. Thanks to the user that found them!

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
pastebin.com/1HgVcGam
pastebin.com/wCXeXfkk
chinfl.blogspotco.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
iwf.net/doc/technical.pdf
yashathoughts.com/

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XDxK_8iX__U
70sbig.com/blog/2012/07/transitioning-to-olympic-weightlifting/
youtube.com/watch?v=-2gSuEaMagA
jtsstrength.com/articles/2014/05/01/the-scapula-and-thoracic-spine-a-classic-love-story-to-improve-your-overhead-position/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Im thinking of joining my uni's rugby team this coming fall.
I've been doing powerlifting for 2 years recreationally and i'm thinking of slowly transitioning to olympic lifting very slowly to compliment my rugby game.
I've began considering switching deadlift with power cleans, thing is even though i can deadlift over 5 plates conventionally, i cant clean anything over 185,

What can i do to rectify this problem? How do i learn power clean tehnique? I obviously already have the raw power

On alot of my catches i keep dropping the bar forward/ not catching deep enough into my clavicle. What am i most likely doing wrong?

youtube.com/watch?v=XDxK_8iX__U

not upright enough with a soft core and rack.

Arch back, chin up, flex lats, keep shoulders raised, stay tight stay tight STAY TIGHT

bar should not be on your clavicle, btw. bar rests on shoulders. if the bar is on your clavicle your shoulder are not raised, which means your rack is not right.

not bad.

'shoulders back' is a shit but common american cue

shoulders should be internally rotated in the pull. this should happen naturally and easily with the 'elbows out' cue that he gives. traps should be engaged but not fully flexed.

Getting back into lifting doing SS but want to move into oly lifting shortly after. Probably just 4-5 days with the main lifts, followed by a squat max and back off sets.

The problem right now is, my external rotation of both shoulders is terrible and I can't support a snatch/overhead squat. I haven't even been able to train power snatches. Really struggling to find a good way to improve my shoulder mobility/strength.

Additionaly, what other programs i could do that helps me transition from powerlifting into olympic lifting?

I looked up beginner programs for oly lifting and either the guy writing them are idiots or expect everyone reading to be on steroids to have time to train 3 hours twice a day.

70's big had an article on transitioning to weightlifting. Sometimes the website can fuck up, just refresh if it doesn't work.

70sbig.com/blog/2012/07/transitioning-to-olympic-weightlifting/

shoulders should be internally rotated overhead bb

4 srs?

But yeah, basically pic related is what I can achieve for my left arm, right is slightly better.

I like his explanations
youtube.com/watch?v=-2gSuEaMagA

>70sbig.com/blog/2012/07/transitioning-to-olympic-weightlifting/
doesn't work

As I said, refresh, maybe a few times.

Routines don't work in oly lifting. You need personal programming..

lol ur fucked mate

or maybe not

jtsstrength.com/articles/2014/05/01/the-scapula-and-thoracic-spine-a-classic-love-story-to-improve-your-overhead-position/

some oly lifter at my new gym told me my snatch reminded him of oleg chen. i'm a happy boy.

Having a basic guideline for learning the lifts is not a bad idea though.

Where do I find a weightlifting waifu?

at your local olyclub

look for the calstrength vidyas where glenn pendlay shows you his teaching progressions for all the lifts

bullshit there are tons of routines
dan john
catalyst athletics
lsus 10-5-3
glenn pendlay forum routines (archives)
everett, takano, fleming all have books with routines
this shit is not rocket science

Most weightlifter girls have some kind of a complex
No pun intended

*Most girls

>bullshit there are tons of routines
Lol let me quess, you are "learning on your own"... I love the fact that you defend yourself, but you're still wrong.

Routines are just routines. If your leg drive sucks in the jerk, its better to do jerk drives than clean + jerk 1+1. Or if your pull is slow as fuck (you don't know how to produce force, how to stay on full foot, how to cover the bar etc.) it's better to do snatches from blocks (above knee) rather than full snatches and so on.

But hey just keep doing your "routine" and then wonder why your tech stays shit and varies a lot on different days