Is keto really the best diet for significant fat loss?

Is keto really the best diet for significant fat loss?

Other urls found in this thread:

dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto
jevohealth.com/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1048&context=journal
youtube.com/watch?v=96VZFklUM_Q
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0963996913002421
savorylotus.com/5-reasons-to-stop-cooking-with-olive-oil/
reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index#wiki_electrolytes.3A_sodium.2C_potassium.2C_magnesium_intake_for_ketogenic_diets_.2B_sports_.28and_all_about_the_.22keto_flu.22.2C_heart_palpitations_and_cramps.29
download.springer.com/static/pdf/793/art%3A10.1186%2F1550-2783-11-S1-P40.pdf?originUrl=http://jissn.biomedcentral.com/article/10.1186/1550-2783-11-S1-P40&token2=exp=1493746185~acl=/static/pdf/793/art%253A10.1186%252F1550-2783-11-S1-P40.pdf*~hmac=e9e2fa6b5a604a75be9f8817a2bdf329b66b57912e2e15469548d04608fd6bd1
colorado.edu/intphys/Class/IPHY3700_Greene/pdfs/atkins/Volek_diet.pdf
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1373635/
jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-9-34
diabetes.co.uk/diet/newcastle-study-600-calorie-diet.html
ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#overview
dietdoctor.com/low-carb/vegetables
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Keto with intermittent fasting works the best for me. I go 20/4 or 22/2.

How do you go without fruits or natural sugars? What does your diet consist of? I have way too big a sweet tooth to do keto.

the best part of keto is the appetite suppression some people experience. you will sometimes go 24+ hours without being even a little bit hungry.

when I did keto my cravings for sweets vanished. I don't know if that is typical.

not him but personally i eat a LOT of meat, eggs, cheese, avocados when they're in season around here, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach/lettuce and other leafy greens

If i want something sweet i use stevia or sometimes ill have a big tablespoon of peanut butter

the neat thing about keto is that after you get over the initial transition, you don't really get those "sweet tooth" cravings very often

Just gotta drop the "sweet tooth" and learn to love a good meal more than a snack/dessert. But I have strawberries, very dark chocolates, creamy coffee and plenty of other sweet tasting snacks.

Definitely this too, a few times when i've been deep into ketosis i could casually just decide to do 36-48 hour fasting periods and was totally fine

I am a former fatty so I don't have to be hungry to want the flood of dopamine which food gives me.

are there any infographics on starting keto?

i know it sounds retarded but i generally trust you guys more than some stupid fad diet website.

i literally read one that said keto can reverse diabetes or some shit.

Im pretty sure the study that said it can "reverse diabetes" isn't entirely correct. I know that it can help turn you around if you're on the PATH to diabetes, but once you're there im pretty sure you can't come back out

but im no doctor so what do i know.

the FAQs on /r/keto aren't terrible. Its an effective diet for losing weight, just have to stick to it and count the carbs on everything. Don't worry too much about protein. Eat enough fat to feel full.

I did keto for 5 months and lost 80 pounds. It works.

Nah it can, it did for me.

I figured as much. i meant it in the sense that diet websites make lofty ass claims like that and i'd rather have a .png made by a Veeky Forumsizen calling me a faggot or something.

not him, but i know some people have mentioned that eating too much protein will knock you out of it, is there a certain level where it's too much or does it vary for different people? Ive never been able to figure it out

For real? That's pretty sick, man. Nice job!

I don't fully understand it myself, but here's my understanding. basically if your goal is cutting bodyfat, then don't eat protein at bodybuilding levels. Eat normal amounts of protein to maintain muscle, not build. If you have a major surplus then your body might not be in ketosis anymore.

Alright, thats usually what i stick to (roughly) anyways. ive just been eating a lot of chicken lately since i got it for like 35c/lb and wanted to know if i was fuckin myself over

dark meat with skin on though so i think im doing alright

That fucking forehead.

Eating chicken is fine. There's just a lot of newbies who get information overload when reading about fitness, keto and bodybuilding. They try to lose fat and bulk muscles at the same time by drinking 6 scoopz and then wonder why their weight and gainz aren't changing.

OP here. So what is the proper way to keto? I've read that it's best to keep your carbs below like 20-30g a day, keep protein reasonable, and to consume mostly fats that fill you up. Is that fit approved? Can someone give any more info on how to get your body in that state? 256lb, 5'10" dude here trying to cut

I'm not really into sugary stuff to begin with. I do miss potatoes and alcohol though. I eat a lot of eggs, cheese, ranch dressing on salad, mayo, chicken, and beef. I drink a lot of coffee, and I think that curbs the hunger during the day.

vodka has no carbs

I avoid it for the calories but still

also, not eating sweets is really easy. I have a big bag of chocolates that someone gave me sitting on my shelf and I'll have one bite-size candy every two weeks or so, just whenever I'm feeling it
no sugar jello + whipped cream is low carb

I've been pure keto for 9 days now, my diet consists of this
>5 Eggs, 8 slices of Bacon
>Protein Shake w/ almond milk
>Chicken Breast If rest day
I went from losing no weight on a halfassed cut to losing 5 pounds in this time frame. Its not water weight either.

How much do you weigh?

Cut the protein shake, reduce bacon by half. Once you're comfortable there completely cut bacon and all other shit-tier meats.

I used to eat a lot of sausage and bacon as a crutch, but just get rid of it man it's nothing but salt and fat. It has very little protein.

I started Keto a couple weeks back, but I’m still learning. What is this ratio you’re talking about?

Also, two questions:
Can anyone verify this “too much protein knocks you out of ketosis” thing? Meat is definitely my primary food source; I’d hate to kill my chances at losing this weight by eating too much of it.

I’ve heard milk is off limits, since your body breaks down the lactose as a sugar. Is this true? If so, would the small amount I use in coffee be a problem, or do I need to switch to a non-lactose based creamer? I can’t do black.

>SHUBBY BUNDY

>I’d hate to kill my chances at losing this weight by eating too much of it.
this won't happen, just watch calories and carbs

>I’ve heard milk is off limits, since your body breaks down the lactose as a sugar.
Milk is off limits because it has carbs, look into heavy cream or half and half. My current coffee is
>splash of buttermilk
>splash of heavy cream
>remainder 1% milk
>ground cinnamon
>sucralose
>top with whipped cream
some carbs but I can fit it in

I've been out of the loop for a whilw. Did the left one finally croak?

If you are a fatty, then yes. You are addicted to sugar (yes you are, this isn't a debateable point, go research it) so think of keto as "sugar rehab".

I haven't had a single soda since doing keto.

Hes ratio is about intermitent fasting 20/4 means not eating 20 hours , and just eating in 4 hour window

dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto
This is a good site for lots of info

>too much protein
Its called gluco-genesis. And its way overhyped. It only really happens if you eat an insanely high amount of protein and dont have enough fat in your diet. Chances are unless you are getting 200+grams youll be fine. Just keep the carbs low and eat fatty cuts of meat.

Youre correct. You only should be getting carbs from vegetables.

>I go 20/4 or 22/2.

If you're fasting that much, you're going to lose weight pretty quickly even if you eat carbs, just nothing overboard. Am I right?

Not guranteed but most likely. Combining both would be best though. This is because if youre overweight your blood sugar and insulin levels are probably fucked. Keto and IF both work to improve those 2.

I'd rawdog dick her.

Anyone know quarks effect on the body, insulin wise? It's low fat here, which I know usually means more sugar/less fat to balance the insulin release. (About 11g sugar/11g carbs per 250g)

Problem is I'm a poorfag, and Quark happens to be really fucking cheap compared to Greek yogurt/Cottage cheese

Should I try to replace the Quark or am I overacting? I know cals in v out is the most important thing, but after plateuing for a while, this keto shit is definitely helping

Me too thats the whole point.
Wanna get her pregnant, then rub her stomach and suck fresh milk daily from those swollen titties. 100% not memeing.

mah man

>Problem is I'm a poorfag, and Quark happens to be really fucking cheap
Man at the end of the day you gotta eat what fits your budget. Either way eating quark is way healthier chances are than what you sued to eat.

Can you do Keto and moderate cardio? I've lost 20 pounds exercising without keto but my fat loss is starting to plateau. So, does keto allow for moderate cardio or would I need to tone it down a bit? I run about 25 miles a week

Yes, of course you can exercise on keto.

Yeah, definitely healthier than a lot of shit, so I know I am overreacting a little.

With keto though, dairy seems to be like walking on a tightrope, with a lot of people suggesting to remove it entirely. I just want what's best for both my body and wallet man

"Keto" is a rebrand of the "Atkins" diet of the 90s, which fell out of favor after every expert on the planet pointed out that it causes heart disease and diabetes, and after it came to light that Atkins himself had a history of heart failure, heart attack and hypertension, which caused him to fall and hit his head, ending up in a coma.

Atkins and Keto respectively are propaganda tools promoted by the meat and dairy industries. Ketosis is a state of metabolic illness that causes irreparable harm to the human body in the long term. This is accepted even among many paleo clowns - see for example, 2016/2017 AHS presentation "The Dangers of Fat Metabolism and PUFA: Why You Don't Want to be a Fat Burner" jevohealth.com/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1048&context=journal

salt and fat is good on keto

Alright cool. user you got any articles or websites I should go to, to learn more about keto?

T. nervous pig.

Absolutely, most people perform cardio better on keto. Theres almost no doubt when on keto your lifts suffer slightly because that is more glycogen based but long distance cardio isnt so cardio is definitely good shit for keto.
Well they are right mostly. Lactose isnt good for you. You can definitely live a healthy life with no dairy whatsoever but cheese and heavy cream are delicious. Man life isnt all or nothing. Gotta have at least some fun.
Did you even read this???
>This shows the futility of the dueling
studies approach to debate, as nearly every diet and health paradigm has literature
to support it
>Ultimately, health is determined by outcomes rather than inputs, and an agreedupon
definition is required for discussion.
Un-ironically go to reddit ketogains. talks all about lifting on keto.

Not from shit-tier meats like sausage and bacon.

>salt is good on keto
okay first of all no, your salt intake should be normal
>fat is good on keto
and there are much better ways to get that fat than from bacon, get healthy fats from avocados and high-tier meats like chicken and beef, cook with oil, don't eat processed cured garbage. I said I used to eat it, so I know what it's like to be glad you "can" stuff down a lb of bacon but you really shouldn't be doing it.

>avocados

Are you a girl?

Girls don't like avocados.

>Absolutely, most people perform cardio better on keto.
This is false. All exercise performance is significantly impaired on very-low-carb diets. Exercise performance is directly related to glycogen capacity, status and utilization, which is why no serious athlete on the planet follows a low-carbohydrate diet, and only overweight Americans who don't understand nutrition do.

>Did you even read this???
Apparently the concept of synthesizing evidence and focusing on mechanistic data to make a point is too hard for you to comprehend. The mechanics are not controversial.

>okay first of all no, your salt intake should be normal
100% wrong
>cook with oil
Again 100% wrong. The only exception is coconut oil.

>Absolutely, most people perform cardio better on keto.

Alright that's cool, you seem to know a lot about keto user so I'll check out that subreddit later. But I got a few more questions if you don't mind.
On keto is it necessary to eat all types of meat such as beef and pork regularly? I ask because I would much rather prefer to eat fish and chicken regularly and beef/pork sparingly.

Where are you getting this information?

How much weight have you lost? How long have you been doing keto?

>All exercise performance is significantly impaired on very-low-carb diets.
youtube.com/watch?v=96VZFklUM_Q
Say what?

I wouldnt say its mandatory but most people like eating beef cause its more nutrient dense than chicken but do what works for you man.
Literally every site talks about how you dont hold electrolytes as well on keto and need to make sure you are getting enough Sodium, potassium and magnesium. Every fucking site talks about this dude.
Second, you dont cook with oils cause every oil that isnt Coconut and Olive are fucking unhealthy as fuck. And you dont cook with Olive cause it has a low sa fuck smoke point and wghen its heated easily turns carcinogenic. Please dont post when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Honestly thought it was the opposite

>Literally every site talks about how you dont hold electrolytes as well on keto and need to make sure you are getting enough Sodium, potassium and magnesium.
>enough
>this means you need to eat 500% of your RDI
no, it doesn't

>you dont cook with oils cause every oil that isnt Coconut and Olive are fucking unhealthy as fuck
Oh I get it, you operate on hearsay and broscience. Stop giving advice you dumb fuck

>Oh I get it, you operate on hearsay and broscience.
That isnt bro science its actual real science. Probably the least bro science thing there is in this whole thread. Did you even google it you faggot?
>sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0963996913002421
>savorylotus.com/5-reasons-to-stop-cooking-with-olive-oil/

>no, it doesn't
Yes they do you moron.
>reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index#wiki_electrolytes.3A_sodium.2C_potassium.2C_magnesium_intake_for_ketogenic_diets_.2B_sports_.28and_all_about_the_.22keto_flu.22.2C_heart_palpitations_and_cramps.29

>Even if you go out of your way to eat lots of table salt and foods containing potassium and magnesium, you may find you need to take supplements. The minimum daily intake for the three electrolytes suggested by Lyle McDonald as:
>All these electrolytes should be preferably consumed in addition from what you get from your food; so then it would read:
5000 - 7000 mg of sodium (not just salt)
1000 - 3,500 mg of potassium
300 - 500 mg of magnesium

I cant even imagine what it must be like to go through life as a complete idiot. Must be very tough living a lie.

>Say what?
A YouTube video doesn't disprove established science you gullible child. Unsuccessful athletes attach themselves to gimmicks in order to gain popularity that they cannot get with actual performance. Becoming a tranny and competing against women is one way to do it, appealing to fat retards another. And that's why these people are featured on the Vice YouTube channel as "that woman with the dick who BTFOs actual women" or "that guy who eats coconut and engine oil and runs through the woods" rather than participating in serious sporting events, where low-carbohydrate diets are notoriously absent.

>sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0963996913002421
>savorylotus.com/5-reasons-to-stop-cooking-with-olive-oil/
>no mention of your claims about other oils
Yes, we all know olive oil is poor. There's more than two types of oil, you know. That's not even the part I called you out on.

>may
>During the induction phase of a Ketogenic Diet
Now answer my questions.
How much weight have you lost? How long have you been doing keto?

I've seriously been considering implementing keto into my IF. Question is, can I still enjoy SIPS while doing keto? Or will this throw my body out of ketosis? Can't seem to get a solid answer to this question anywhere.

No, it's the best diet for significant water and muscle loss.

I sip on keto, it's fine.

>There's more than two types of oil, you know.
So which ones are better than olive and coconut and arent un healthy?
>That's not even the part I called you out on
So which part did you call me out on then?

>How much weight have you lost?
40lbs

>How long have you been doing keto?
3 months coming up on 4

Either way my personal experience has nothing to do with science. Thats called anecdotal evidence. Again, nearly ever single site that talks about keto talks about how you need to make sure you are getting enough electrolytes.

Also, i dont even know if you lift weights. Cause if you do you definitely need more electrolytes. Your muscles wont contract as well if the signals arent getting there.

You only cited one paper you moron. And it didnt say anything about athletic performance you gulible chld.
>download.springer.com/static/pdf/793/art%3A10.1186%2F1550-2783-11-S1-P40.pdf?originUrl=http://jissn.biomedcentral.com/article/10.1186/1550-2783-11-S1-P40&token2=exp=1493746185~acl=/static/pdf/793/art%253A10.1186%252F1550-2783-11-S1-P40.pdf*~hmac=e9e2fa6b5a604a75be9f8817a2bdf329b66b57912e2e15469548d04608fd6bd1
>colorado.edu/intphys/Class/IPHY3700_Greene/pdfs/atkins/Volek_diet.pdf
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1373635/
>jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-9-34
Thats 5 papers faggot you want me to continue?
>muscle loss
Wrong, read the sources i cited you stupid faggot

Good to know. Should I invest in keto strips to pee on too?

Also, what are some easy to find keto foods? I don't plan on doing it for longer than a month, but im assuming shit like chicken, cheese, spinach, eggs, tuna, and coconut oil are cool. But aside from that, im not really sure what I should be eating.

Not sure whether it was Keto, but in a test performed by Newcastle University, they found a low calorie diet (600calories) can in fact complretely reverse full blown diabetes, not just the pre-diabetic stage that a lot of people are in. It worked in 7 out of 11 patients.

diabetes.co.uk/diet/newcastle-study-600-calorie-diet.html

Now they're looking at if this can become a mainstream treatment/cure of diabetes.

ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#overview

You really need me to list types of cooking oil?
>sunflower
>vegetable
>peanut
>canola
>lard
>butter (yes it's an oil)
>grapeseed
>walnut
>cashew
>soybean
There, that should keep you busy for a while as you attempt to prove they are all bad for you.

>nearly ever single site that talks about keto talks about how you need to make sure you are getting enough electrolytes
and this is not anywhere near as difficult as you're making it seem, hell, a powerade zero or two in addition to your diet is going to give you more than enough. Remember, we're talking about how you don't need bacon in your diet, not about how much salt you need.

Yes, buy the strips.
>I don't plan on doing it for longer than a month
Personally I wouldn't do it if that's the case. It's going to take about 4-7 days for your body to acclimate and actually enter testable ketosis (this can be proven using the strips) I go at least 2 months at a time before breaking and exiting ketosis

Leafy greens are good as well as fatty fish (salmon, trout, mackerel etc)

Remember fibre in vegetables cancel out the carbs

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll go 2 months. I'm just worried about losing my gains, but i have 10 lbs of fat I've been struggling to lose with my cut. I figured the keto in conjuction with IF would give me an edge with it.

Are you sure about this? I thought you were supposed to avoid veggies like cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage.

>Should I invest in keto strips to pee on too?
Dont even bother. as long as you cut out carbs and sugar youll be there.

>But aside from that, im not really sure what I should be eating.
Nearly all vegetables are good. Minus the starchy ones. So no carrots, peas, potatoes and shit like that that grows underground.
All meats basically. Thats pretty much all you need, lots of meat and veggies. Anything besides that make sure has no sugar or carbs. For example, make sure you get cheese that has full fat and isnt replaced with sugar.

>You really need me to list types of cooking oil?
Nigger cant you read? I said which ones are better? As in if i got coconut why the fuck would i use anything else? If i have the very best available to me why ever go slumming with anything else???

>Remember, we're talking about how you don't need bacon in your diet, not about how much salt you need.
No we werent. You specifically said
>>salt is good on keto
>okay first of all no, your salt intake should be normal
When i replied thats not true. I didnt say shit about bacon.

Again i literally cannot imagine how tough your daily life is. Knowing that everyone around you is so much smarter than you are.

>Are you sure about this? I thought you were supposed to avoid veggies like cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage.
Im You niggers gotta learn to read the threads and use the links already here
>dietdoctor.com/low-carb/vegetables
Also dont listen tohes borderline retarded. Be on it as long as you need to to drop the 10lbs. Come off when youre comfortable. If youre that worried about it look into supplementating with HMB. Google it nigger.

>I said which ones are better?
How about all of them? Remember to prove me wrong. You're claiming that they're all shit, so show me they aren't.

>8 strips of bacon: >1g salt
Stop trying to change the subject

Stop spewing momscience and cite some oil sources

>Unironically linking Volek/Phinney and Manninen
Fucking mega kek
Have you ever actually researched Manninen, the shit he sells, how he looks?
I think you've already sustained some serious brain damage from all the clogged arteries

By greens I meant like Spinach, Kale, bok choy, green beans, but there's nothing wrong with the ones you listed (just have like 1g extra carbs or something, nothing to be afraid of)

But as said, avoid
starchy vegetables (potatoes) obviously, and keep an eye on the root vegetables

>How about all of them? Remember to prove me wrong. You're claiming that they're all shit, so show me they aren't.
No im not wasting anymore time on you dude. I know that im right so idgaf. You could try to prove me wrong of course.

>Stop trying to change the subject
Im not you moron. i wasnt the original person you were talking to about bacon. I specifically interjected when you said that salt remark.

>Stop spewing momscience and cite some oil sources
Again, you cite some sources and refute my claim instead of asking for me to refute yours.

What does that have to do with science? Based of this same theory no one should listen to Rippitoe or Sheiko because they are both fat old men. Based off this theory every single person who eats carbs and look like shit proves me correct.

Thanks!

So basically, just eat meat and veggies only?

>I know that im right so idgaf.
ahahahahahaha you gave up that's great

>original claim: "Second, you dont cook with oils cause every oil that isnt Coconut and Olive are fucking unhealthy as fuck."
unsupported with evidence

I love it, just run away dude you clearly can't defend yourself.

IM not running you moron im saying the exact same thing to you.
So youre running.
You gave up because you provided no sourse.
I win.
Again it seriously must be difficult being as stupid as you are.

Mainly, don't try to overthink it though, just eat anything unprocessed, low in cal, sugar and carbs

>prove my claim wrong
try googling burden of proof before you google some studies on why coconut oil is far superior to the big list of oils I gave

You still don't understand the very simple thing that the article I linked further up tried to explain to you. Throwing studies at each other in typical PubMed warrior fashion is futile and ultimately stupid and nonproductive.

You wrote
>Thats 5 papers faggot you want me to continue?

So you literally believe that having more links to spam means you're correct. This is not how science works. Science requires a synthesis of evidence from several perspectives and fields, especially when there are conflicting data. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are familiar with the multitude of studies that relate glycogen saturation with exercise performance. So therefore we have a problem.

Is there a limit to how many carbs you can eat without limiting the effectiveness of the diet? My protein shake has about 18g of carbs and I drink it with whole milk, plus I eat a banana everyday with breakfast.

You aren't doing keto with that kind of carb intake

Yes. You need to have 20-30g of net carbs for you to be in ketosis.

Cut out the banana and you might get away with it

Milk usually isn't advised because of the lactose, but whole milk is generally accepted in small amounts.

Try to keep it under 30 minimum

are my macros good for ketosis?
disregard goals, i haven't changed them yet.

Nigger I already know its true though. I dont need to prove it to you. Plus its extremely well known how unhelathy the majority of those oils are that you posted. Again, i only need 2 and thats olive and coconut. If you wanna waste time and money for whatever reaosn and fuck around with all those others be my guest.

Nigger what you arent getting is most people here are fat and simply trying to lose weight quickly. They arent olympic atheletes. Also as i said earlier its well known weight lfiting performance suffers on keto tahts the whole reason TKD and CKD exist.

>I already know its true
You actually made me laugh, with that retarded logic. You're going around claiming to be smarter than anyone else? Even funnier.

Prove it or shove it.

yes

not more fat?

Is that a cure or "cure"
Every time I hear about a cure, it sounds more like managing the symptoms than anything else.

cured meat is processed for preservation, like drawing out the moisture with salt, smoking etc.

Is it true that mean consumption (both red and white meat) increases your chance of getting diabetes and other complications like heart disease, etc.

Its not retarded. What is though it that ive wasted this much time debating a mouth breather like you. Again keep eating sunflower oil ill stick with coconut.

If you're not willing to prove any of your claims then stop trying to say coconut oil is better than sunflower oil.

Is prediabetes a real disease or just a name created to scare people at risk into getting healthier?

What about a well balanced diet instead?

Nigga do you know what keto is?

I've only been doing it for 16 months

If you like coffee and are serious about keto make bulletproof coffee instead.