Lads...

Lads, I usually workout for around 3 hours (do whole upper body) and as I was leaving today one of the gym trainer women told me that after an hour of continuously exercising a muscle it starts to break down.

Is it just a meme? Also, I'm not sure how she deduced that I was working one muscle group for over an hour since I didn't do that.

tl;dr

what's the optimum workout time?

You're over-training. You'll see more muscle growth if you cut down to an hour. Your body has limitations and needs ample time to rest.

>an hour

I feel like I can't do it all in an hour, though.

I do stronglifts + upper body accessories.

So squats, bench, dl and then hammer curls, dumbbell curls, tricep curls and then the peck-deck.

If I split it all up I won't be hitting my arms as often and I want them to look bigger since I'm still skeleton-y. Or am I being retarded and it'll be enough to hit arms twice a week?

Do 90 minutes, then.

>90 minutes

FUCK how is overtraining even a thing. I like being in the gym for 3 hours, it feels good to lift.

If you go on test does that make your muscles adapt to longer workouts?

you'll start to feel like shit if you're actually overtraining yourself. sounds like you just do nothing for 3 hours

then cut out the accessories. there's a reason beginner strength routines are usually very simple.

You should do some research inot extended training sessions impact on test productionSame as doing cardiovascular I believe

I don't do nothing, I just take like 4-5 minutes between sets. I feel fine as well when I finish. I think I'm just a slower gym goer than most.

>cut them out

Nigger, I've seen what the perfect SS/SL figure looks like, it looks like a fat blob of shit. Accessories are necessary for aesthetics.

I'll check it out.

>I've seen what the perfect SS/SL figure looks like, it looks like a fat blob of shit
Yeah, I'm sure through your extensive research of shitposts on Veeky Forums you know best
go on, keep wasting hours at the gym. you'll see where it leads you.

>

>Nigger, I've seen what the perfect SS/SL figure looks like, it looks like a fat blob of shit. Accessories are necessary for aesthetics.
So you as a skelington claim to know more about bodybuilding and how training your muscle works than people with actual experience and programs which have been established since years.

Kill yourself. I hope this is a ruse thread.

Mark Rippetoe himself claims this is the "perfect result body" of SS. Fuck that. I understand that it increases your overall strength drastically, but I want aesthetics along with the strength, not to look like this guy.

Never claimed it wasn't effective for strength.

>kill urself lmao

I'm sure you're a nice guy.

Forgot the picture.

>4-5 minute rest between sets
>SS makes you fat
>3 hour workouts
what the fuck is this thread

g-guys, but it works

How long do you rest then?

The sticky told me that 4-5 minute rests is fine, not sure what this other guy's problem is.

do you want to burn fat? no? then just keep going and do what you do now.

worst thing is this guy looked like a sub-chad before

Kind of.

You will make more gains working hard for 60 minutes than me for 180. Jeff Cavalier, a sports therapist and trainer of top athletes recommends not training much longer than 50 minutes or so. You can either train long or train hard. Not both

I see. The problem is volume promotes muscle hypertrophy, right? That's what takes me a long time to do. I'd really like my arms to look bigger, but going heavy and intense apparently doesn't give the same effect.

Basically, I'm just confused now I guess. I didn't think working out longer was bad.

>take less time resting
>be shit in lifts and stall progression and gains
>b-b-but I'm burning fat m'lord

Just do fucking cardio after your lifts.

Yeah, that's essentially why I take longer rests, so I can do the full set rather than go to failure early.

is this pic scientifically legit? or is it just some broscience or a Veeky Forumsizen's idea?

>4-5 min
Literallywhat

From what I've heard on here and read on different sources this seems to be pretty legit.

It's true.
after an hour cortisol kicks in

Optimal workout time is 45 minutes

>minimum sessions per week

How come roiders or people on test workout for hours, then? Do the drugs enhance their hormonal systems to the point where it doesn't even matter anymore and they just get gains anyway?

Roiders recover much much faster

>tfw think I might be a sensory addict
>tfw am tempted to use test now

4 months for a 230dl lmao

Actually going heavy and intense promotes the most growth but it also requires time under tension. 10-12 reps where you are just barely hitting 12 or so is the optimum way to go with proper form throughout. Go look up some studies on it AthenianX has some good videos as well.

Thanks user, that's solid advice. Is two bicep and tricep isolation exercises overkill?

No that is probably good depends on who you ask of course.

this is just wrong. he might be overtraining but 1 hour is not a lot of time for many programs

if you do heavy compounds you need more than 50 minutes

im triggered. some very successful programs require 2 hours

i see someone has never lifted heavy before

"Thanks Rippetoe for my gyno, breeding hips, and awful diet".
The rows, OHPs, and BP already got your upper body man, you shouldn't worry about that shit. If anything, rather than doing 2 workouts on one day, make small tweaks to the program that aren't as harmful, per example, i don't like Squatting and DL on the same day so i don't squat and increase DL reps, or i dont really like Rows as a bicep excercise so i add a extra set of curls/supinated grip rows/pull ups.
Feel free to experiment with excercises/workouts, that's how you learn, just stick to rep-set ranges suggested on the program for now (5x5).
Good luck man!