Have there been any legit atheist societies in history?

Have there been any legit atheist societies in history?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_Rouge_rule_of_Cambodia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_atheism
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

North Korea officially preaches adherence to reason and that there is nothing greater than the Juche ideology.
>Kim is god
don't spout this CRACKED meme propaganda

USSR, China, North Korea

>don't believe in something
>define yourself using as base the lack of believe in their believes
That's why atheism is a meme, they are too obsessed with the concept of religion and Faith (believers), so they devolve their whole identity into disproving something that they don't even believe in.

No, they've all been pious atheists, like these

I'm atheist and I don't do that. I'm apathetic about religion and generally do not waste any of my time thinking about it. How does your stereotype account for my existence?

I mean, they were atheist, but that's more because their state religion was Communism, which has no god except the state.

What the fuck is even going on in this picture

USA from 09-17

Alright, can you define atheist for me?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_Rouge_rule_of_Cambodia

That's Apatheism, not Atheism.

Albania & China.

China has always been unique in its lack of a religion. Confucianism comes close, but most Chinamen acknowledge Confucius as nothing more than a man.
It's probably the main reason for their utter lack of morality and cannibalistic tendencies.

Didn't Taoism, Proto-Shinto, and Mahayana Buddhism all come from China?

>Atheism
Wikipedia you chucklefuck
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_atheism
>In the East, a contemplative life not centered on the idea of deities began in the sixth century BCE with the rise of Jainism, Buddhism, and certain sects of Hinduism in India, and of Taoism in China. These religions claim to offer a philosophic and salvific path not involving deity worship. Deities are not seen as necessary to the salvific goal of the early Buddhist tradition, their reality is explicitly questioned and often rejected. There is a fundamental incompatibility between the notion of gods and basic Buddhist principles, at least in some interpretations.[3]

Don't you ever get tired of politicizing everything? Calculating the political implications of your entire existence every waking minute must get exhausting.

confucianism isn't a religion, it's a philosophy

>It's probably the main reason for their utter lack of morality
which is why you're living on stolen land, sure

>Lack of religion.
>Ancestor Worship.
>Heaven.
>Folk Gods.

China has religion. What they don't have is a dogma wherein their religion tells them their morality (unless they're Buddhist/Buddhist Syncretics) or to proselytize that religion on foreign peoples.

All Confucianism did was ground Chinese Morality on a secular basis.

I would argue that technically the Chinese were atheist because "Gods" is the erroneous translation of the word "Shen." Which means manifestation. Of Heaven's power to be exact. It sounds like the Chinese Folk religion is monotheistic but then Heaven is neither a place nor a person but simply an all powerful force.

buddhism came from india. china had some pagan stuff

OG Buddhism yes, but certain sects spawned elsewhere

>China has religion
yes, they're polytheists, but what irks me is people keep saying religion and confucian in the same breath. confucianism is NOT a religion. it's a moral code grounded in reason a philosophy, not needing to believe in sky faeries. this is what gets me about the west. it's the 21st century and they STILL haven't managed to decouple a moral code from base superstition. frankly, it's embarrassing

buddhism with chinese characteristics

>If you are not rabid anticlerical you are not real efeist!!!

Why are burgers autistic about this shit? There are no "agnostics" or "apathetics", you either partake in religion (whatever-ist) or you don't (95% atheist, 5% special spititual snowlake) everything else is irrelevant.

>Agnosticism.
>American.
"English biologist Thomas Henry Huxley coined the word "agnostic" in 1869. Earlier thinkers, however, had written works that promoted agnostic points of view, such as Sanjaya Belatthaputta, a 5th-century BCE Indian philosopher who expressed agnosticism about any afterlife;[5][6][7] and Protagoras, a 5th-century BCE Greek philosopher who expressed agnosticism about the existence of "the gods".[8] The Nasadiya Sukta in the Rigveda is agnostic about the origin of the universe.[9][10][11]"

"I do not know so I decline to make a conclusion" is a valid position to take, Europoor.

>Chinese religion don't have dogma

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

salty burger detected

name one

Probably because Confucians practiced Heaven Worship so we just said, 'well that must mean they're one and the same'

Do tell.

I do recall the Chinese honor the gods, but all prayers are directed to ancestors who are like household gods over your family since the actual gods are far too busy running the universe to give a shit about you.

I mean, they're so busy they even appointed a manager to worry about your shit: the Emperor.

A son should obey his father

Isn't that a universal concept though?

>I came not to bring a leaf, but to bring a sword. To turn son against Father - Jesus
Not really

1) What said.
2) Confucius isn't a god. Nor is Confucianism a religion.

Except Jesus' father was God, whom he obeyed, hell God is even called the heavenly father

I will personally say, that as a Jew. I killed and rejected my father. Because I believed in justice.

And yet they declared Protagoras atheist.

There is no practical difference if you outright declare nonexistence of gods or just carry on living without giving a fuck. That´s why all non-religious people always get lumped together in surveys.

>filial piety
>dogma

pick one

>Confucians practiced Heaven Worship

source

Worship ancestors

>adherence to reason
>wants to go towar with the most powerful nuclear power un the world

Someone who doesn't believe in supernatural phenomena. That's how I always described it anyway.

Hey dumbass they dont actual want to go to war, if they did theyd already be at war with united states. The nuclear program they have is for mutually assured destruction and the saber rattling is to get concessions and foreign aid.

Apatheism and atheism arent the same thing. Both believers and non believers can be apatheists.

>NK might have at 60 nukes hwasong-15
>USA has 7,100 warheads
>mutually assured destruction

>capitalists
>tolerating losses in a war
americans would surrender as soon as one of their starbucks was destroyed

A pedophile trying to justify his pedophilia

That's why we had the M.A.D. policy against the USSR, a nuclear state that could actually do sizable damage to the US compared to N. Korea and almost mad the Cold War hot in 1962. Communist dipshit. You're just as stupid and meme-spouting as your average /pol/ack. maybe you should go back.

>>>/leftypol/

>americans would surrender as soon as one of their battleships was destroyed
Sir, do I have the right job for you! Would you be interested in leading the Imperial Japanese Navy?

In ancient societies, atheism coexisted with most religious beliefs in harmony. Many greeks doubted Gods, for example. There existed atheistic schools of thought in Vedic India. No deity of old time was entitled to be believed in, no position hold the ambition to be the final truth. This is why both sides respected opinions of each other, while today such understanding can only exist in most cultured and educated corners of the internet