Rippletits told me it was anatomically impossible to experience shoulder impingement doing The Press™

Rippletits told me it was anatomically impossible to experience shoulder impingement doing The Press™

This is a lie. This movement fucks my right shoulder to Oblivion. After countless instructional videos, trial and error, different grip positions I've decided one thing: I cannot safely do the press.

I've also determined that if Rippletits makes sweeping generalizations about everyone's body that turn out not to be true, then he's a fucking meme and I refuse to ever listen to Veeky Forums again

>obese sack of shit decides to stop posting memes and get fit
>has the flexibility of an ent from years of sitting on his colossal ass
>does zero mobility work
>tries to lift in spite of this and fails miserably
>"IT'S IMPOSSIBLE SS IS A MEME RRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

>Veeky Forums says read the sticky
>sticky says do SS
>SS doesn't say anything about mobility work

are you gripping the bar shoulder width?

are your elbows inwards towards your lats?

is the bar on top of the fat part of your thumb?

are you pushing "through your wrist" to keep a straight bar path to the top?

The Press™ despite its looks is actually a pretty technical lift for a beginner and your form probably sucks ass

>I've also determined that if Rippletits makes sweeping generalizations about everyone's body that turn out not to be true, then he's a fucking meme and I refuse to ever listen to Veeky Forums again

did you even read the book? ripplemong says he's only talking about healthy trainees, not those with fucked up bodies

And the most important part, are you shrugging at the top? This is what actually prevents shoulder impingement.

>tfw even the person in OP's pic is gripping the bar wrongly

SUICIDE GRIP THE FUCKING BAR

I don't do ohp either it is the exercise that hurts my shoulders more than anything. I just do handstands and handstand presses instead

There are links in the sticky for mobility work, retard

That's funny you dumb faggot because I own all Rippetoes books and I recall SS distinctly talking about mobility.

1. Don't bother stretching
2. Warm up to put muscles under tension and physically warm them up
3. If you aren't a weak beta faggot you have all the mobility you need now

I fucked up my shoulder playing golf for high school. I started at 20lb dumbells because they didnt hurt. I'm up to 90lbs counting the bar now. 120lb if we count my arm weight.

>actually took advice from Veeky Forums

>comparing roids to natty
Cuck off

I do actually have horrible shoulder impingement from bench how it seems which prevents me of doing most chest presses except for dips.

OHP is fine though and my shoulders feel good as fuck after doing them, no problems before, while or after it.

This is one of those weird things that I swear by and even if someone showed me proof that it was dangerous I'd still do it because it feels that much better.

It just feels so much more natural and comfortable. Plus there's literally no danger involved. If you injure yourself failing an OHP, you probably hurt yourself just by breathing too.

>everyone that looks better than me is roiding because I am deluded enough to think that a pure strength routine is best for aesthetics

SSfags everyone

*tips fractured cervical vertebrae*

I agree with both of you. I've actually tested it and it seems like I am much stronger and in a generally better position doing suicide grip

Pic related is what you get from following Scooby

If you can't tell that the top is roiding then you may have too many chromosomes

You have no idea how the body works, do you?

Why aren't we supposed to stretch again?

You have no idea how an overhead press works, do you?

because it reduce your strength. Warm up with dynamic work and/ or the exercise you want to do but with low weight.

Do stretching and mobility work after the end of workout

>you aren't supposed to stretch
>Do stretching and mobility work after the end of workout

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WHICH IS IT YOU FUCKING FAGGOTS

So explain to me how using suicide grip is going to fracture a vertebrae, autismo?

There are more things that go wrong with your shoulder than "impingement"

That only applies to bench because if it slips, it's hitting you no matter what. Also the bar isn't behind the head until the very end of the rep, so unless you were just hanging out with it locked out, any time you might drop it, it'll just fall in front of you.

I'd never try risk it with bench, but with ohp I feel like I'd have to be retarded to not bail out before it slipping.

YOu don't stretch before a lift, you stretch after. Are you blind?

I wasnt stretching anyway but only because its gay and not fun, not for any scientific reason.

He's implying that you would somehow have the bar slip behind your head and land on the back of your neck.

>Don't bother stretching
Ain't no way my ass is going past parallel without stretching before squats, warmup sets or not. It's also painful on my glutes if I don't stretch before I deadlift. Stretching isn't a meme, it's just more important for some people than others. I also stretch my pecs/warm up my shoulders before I squat so I don't get impingement.

That's retarded. The lockout is arguably the most stable position. If it's gonna fall it's gonna fall on the ascent or descent.

Rippletoe doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to mobility/physiology. In one video, I remember him insisting on having your feet pointing straight forward for something like a squat/deadlift, whereas what really matters is that your knees go forward, and depending on supination and ankle mobility, that might be more natural with feet pointed outwards.

Take everything he says with a grain of salt and recognize your body's particularities, adapting movements slightly so that things feel better and stay safe.

There's studies that show it redecuses muscle tone. Not the meme tone, but actual muscle tone. Rescind tightness and 'tone' is good for flexibility, but harmful to strength. I'm on my phone just now but if you google it you should come across the studies.

Although it has to be said. It really only affects you if you go hard on your stretches, like stretching your hams for a constant 10 mins each then doing heavy ghr would probably lead to an injury. There's not many people on this forum that are doing nearly enough physical work to worry about the effects of stretching before hand. But, that doesn't mean you should forget about it.

Iirc Dante (dogcrapp training) has an article on it, but these guys are putting out serious numbers.

Warm up dynamically, like a football player would.

>Stretching is gay

I've never had an injury that's kept me out of the gym for more than a day and I stretch casually. Meanwhile I know people who don't stretch at all and always complain about pain. These are the same people who limp around after leg day. Stretch your shit out so you can have some healthy joint stability and don't injure yourself.

unless your lack of mobility is preventing you from doing something in particular (like holding the bar in the clean position), there doesn't seem to be any point in increasing your mobility; once you're able to do something properly, then doing that thing with enough frequency will usually be enough to maintain the mobility required to do that thing

it may even be detrimental to increase your mobility: "[Paula Radcliffe] also decreased her sit-and-reach flexibility by 1.6 inches (yes, you read that right). Muscles and tendons act as springs that store energy; stiff springs may store and return more energy with each stride. So elites like Radcliffe tend to be less flexible in places like the hamstrings and lower back; indeed, in one study of elite runners, those who were eight inches less flexible on a sit-and-reach test ran 27 percent more efficiently. Despite Radcliffe’s famously ungainly form, her 15 percent improvement in running economy between 1992 and 2003 corresponded with her ascent to world-beater status."

she set the marathon WR in 2003

standing DB press is superior anyway

yeah some people can't really do OHP, i can't go heavy without trapping a nerve in my right elbow and i've never found anything that stops that

Hello me, I can't do any chest related exercises at the moment, but OHP is no problem at all.

You re doing it wrong
Dont flare out your elbows in the top position
It ill work your shoulders much more and make it a much safer movement

lunge db press is superior

You fucking retard stop moving the goalpost, you misundestood and fucked up, eat it up and move on
Fucking fat nigger

No, you're right. Rip's kinesiology is broscience at its finest. If you have a type 3 acromion, pronated grip presses will almost certainly cause shoulder pain over time and there's nothing you can do about that movement.

What you can do is use dumbbells or a multigrip bar to do presses with. From here you can do a different neutral or angled grip press.

I personally do my ohp with a trap bar. It's similar to strongman presses. It's flat out superior with a better par path and lateral deltoid activarion.

another alternative if speciality bars aren't available and dumbbells are too awkward to 'clean' into position is a landmine press

yeah landmines are awesome for everything tbqh