Find it more difficult to lift the bar with steel Olympic plates than with rubber bumper plates

>find it more difficult to lift the bar with steel Olympic plates than with rubber bumper plates

What's the deal? They both allegedly weigh 45 lbs each, so why does lifting seem so much easier with rubber? Do they actually weigh different amounts despite what the label says? Is it the density, or the weight dispersion from rubber plates being thicker? or is it all in my head?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uH0hikcwjIA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

rubber doesn't weight the same as steel

rubber is lighter than steel, dont listen to what any idiot tells u about 'oh 45lbs is 45lbs' because te fact is that STEEL is HEAVIER than RUBBER. so that means its harder to lift, i dont know by how much but probably like 3-5lbs or so.

Then why are they both marked as "45 lbs?"

If the rubber one actually weighs less than that, shouldn't it be marked as such?

steel is heavier you fuck

Both plates are steel, idiot. One just has a rubber coating.

It's all in your head.

so crossfitters and that fancy olympic lifters feel stronger than they really are. powerlifters are the real men lifting real weight

Rubber plates are much bigger aren't they? They're the same weight but different sizes cause it takes more rubber to match the weight of the metal equivalent.

TIL

45lbs of rubber is heavier than 45lbs of steel because there is more rubber than there is steel since you need more rubber to reach 45lbs

Steel is heavier than rubber you retard

both plates have the same volume so you can't magically pack in more rubber. rubber plate is not 45 lbs regardless of what it says on it

>ignoring the fact that both are SUPPOSEDLY both 45 lbs

Are you gonna try and tell me that 45 lbs of rubber weighs less than 45 lbs of steel?
They're both 45 lbs

rubber wears off over time.

nobody uses steel anymore. plates are now from osmium

This, are you guys literally retarded?

Next thing you will say is that life started on it's own by accident and that being circumcised isn't justified

They still use metal in USA, osmium is mainly and ossie thing

Do 40 lbs of lead weight more than 40 lbs of feathers? Yes.
Do 45 lbs of rubber weight less than 45 lbs lf steel? Yes.

youtube.com/watch?v=uH0hikcwjIA

The steel plates at my gym are horribly miscalibrated. I thought my left side was weaker than my right until I swapped the barbell around and found my right weaker than my left. And I triple checked that these were all 20kgs, and I hadn't somehow mistakenly used a 25kg.

hi op how are ya
I was asked this question by one of my physics students and the class erupted with differing opinions such as what happened in this thread
The truth is that, yes, they both weigh 45, but if you notice, less steel is actually touching the bar, and for the rubber, more is touching the bar

This means that the rubber has higher surface area and more of the weight is distributed, rather than on a steel weight, where the weight is more direct from less surface area

For example: the elevator problem from highschool physics, you are more likely to survive a falling elevator by laying on your back and spreading your arms out than by standing there, because the force of the elevator will equally distribute throughout your body
Hope this helps!

>not jumping just before it hits the ground

I fucking hate this board and all you faggots in it.

Cause steel is heafier than rubber

steel is significantly more dense than rubber, so for two masses to weigh the same the rubber one will have a much larger volume.
now, think of picking up a 5 pound plate versus a massive beach ball that weighs 5 pounds. the 5 pound plate would feel heavier, even though they weigh the same. why? because as you increase volume, you usually also see an increase in the area of floor covered. while the weights may be the same, an increased surface area reduces the force of gravity per unit area that you need to move. not only do metal plates tend to have a slightly smaller radius, increasing ROM, but it reduces the size of the "safe zone" (area of the floor where force is applied, resulting in ideal bar path). ever wonder why tightrope walkers hold those long balancing poles? the farther from the center of mass you extend an arm, the easier it tends to be to balance.
hope this helps, i'm kinda high.

No
No

kinda high? jesus h. christ