Which is better:

Which is better:
10 minutes HIIT run every two days or 30 minutes steady state jog every day.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1905938/
youtu.be/zy41a_RtzNo?t=5m50s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Cardio is a waste of time compared to weightlifting

0 minutes of HIIT
0 minutes jogging

definitely hiit.
i remember reading some japanese study on that topic where theyve found that 8 minutes of hiit is more efficient than steady running. tabata was the name, if i remember correctly

depends on the purpose, if you want to lose weight then HIIT, for cardio then 30min altough it won't get you that far in terms of cardio gains.

oh, and there was a study that said that the number of miles a week correlates with vo-max. so i dont really know, decide for yourself

Yeah, but you don't do tabata.
Basically fucking NO ONE does tabata.
The level of physical fitness required to do tabata means that you had to have a really really really high aerobic and anaerobic base BEFORE you do tabata.

Hiit is just good enough to get you where you need to go but after that it hits a rock solid wall that no amount of hiit will allow you to cross in terms of aerobic fitness.

You have to do aerobic exercise to pass it. And aerobic exercise is superior to HIIT in terms of calories lost for the average person. It's far more sustainable and you can do MORE of it. Which is the most important thing when it comes to burning off extra fat.

The first one with the other one for rest days.

Dont do cardio just lfit bro

What makes you say tabata is only for if you are already in good shape?

A good workout similar to the Tabata protocol is 30 seconds on and 4 minutes off. A beginner can do it, burns fat well, not too intensive.

And while some people have their opinions, you cannot really do the Tabata protocol on much else other than a bike. Lifting weights or kettlebells or bodyweight or even rowing or sprinting have significant enough differences that they aren't suitable for real deal Tabata.

That's for 30 mins btw.

I want to do cardio after lifting but I feel like a mong using cardio machines. I want to do something that will actually improve my fitness for shit like the occasional basketball game. Is there a running program I could follow? I can already run pretty hard for like 20 minutes and jog twice that much so I'm past beginner stuff like c25k.

Not that guy, it works you significantly beyond your VO2 max, therefore you ought to be at least comfortable at your VO2 max. Most people are not. You also have to be able to take repeated bouts of anaerobic exercise over several minutes with little break.

you could try increasing your weekly mileage, 10% every week

You should really read up on the actual tabata trial.
They had those people going balls to the wall nonstop then take a short rest then go back to doing it.
Most people who claim to do tabata honestly do not have the level of fitness or sheer work capacity that the guys in that study have.
They just don't.

But that is what is required for tabata to work. It's a way to shock unfit high level athletes and people who are generally really really really fit already back into shape with as little effort as possible.

It is not for out of shape college kids and house fraus who can't even complete a fucking 5k run.

That's just interval training. That's not tabata.
While you can CALL IT tabata, it isn't the real deal. And you're right. BUT hard sprinting can allow for the same level output that makes it similar to real tabata.

Heartlets when will they learn

There are several 5k to 10k programs. Otherwise improve your time.

If you mean you can run on a treadmill, switch to outside. And with basketball you're probably better off doing HIIT, so fartlek.

when attending some nice thai sauna

neither, I would only run twice a week maximum

>BUT hard sprinting can allow for the same level output that makes it similar to real tabata.
I would agree that sprinting comes closest. It's one of those things tho that a lot of talking heads have latched onto so we end up with shit like tabata goblet squats that bears practically no resemblance.

You could try tactical barbell. I don't know the specifics but I've heard it's a pretty popular strength and conditioning plan for tactical athletes. I'm pretty sure they have a cardio plan you could follow after lifting.

ever tried rowing machine? shit kills me in few minutes. but watch a video how to row properly first.

Depends on your goals, as always. What is your goal OP?

Kek

1 hr LISS cardio. Better fat burner than trenbolona.

Easier to injure self

HIIT will always be a better and faster fat burner than LISS

What is the best exercise to improve your cardiovascular health? I dont care about losing fat.

can running give you leg gains in any way? I was a long distance runner in highschool and my legs look like shit

doing both will make you better at both of them faster than if you just did one and only wanted it to be better

Sprints

I hear often that HIIT is much more effective than steady state. Steady state cardio is so fucking boring and beta.

30 minutes of HIIT everyday, of course

weightlifting is shit for your body. You goobers are real smart packing all that extra weight on your body. Muscle or not...its still weight.

90 minutes with your heart rate at 190 bpm

both

you should jog every day and do hiit every other day.

get a bike and ride up and down a couple hills as hard as you can for an hour

shit is fun
theres no way to go beyond you VO2max in 10 minutes of tabata

you have to have your HR pinned at max or near max for at least 4 minutes to 'go beyond' vo2max (and start making adaptations)

HIIT is a fucking meme and 95% of people doing cardio have no idea what they are doing and are burning 200 calories max

doing 10 minutes of HIIT running won't do much at all, it isn't enough volume alone for many aerobic gains or lean muscle gains. If you want to improve fat loss, and increase metabolism run 30 minutes every day at 130-140 HR

if you are doing actual high intensity exercise, 10 minutes of tabata is not going to do jack shit unless you are eating like 1 apple a day

high intense exercise is like running as hard as you can for 4 minutes, then 4 minutes off, then running hard for 4 minutes, then off, then another 4 minutes of hard running

this is highly catabolic and it makes your heart/cardiovascular system stronger but its also the type of cardio that makes your muscles waste away if you do it constantly

low intensity it much more repeatable and when you combine it with low carbs your bodyfat goes away very quickly and it doesn't kick the shit out of you, and its less stressful on your body so you don't release as much cortisol. Its also the foundation of cardiovascular fitness. Most elite athletes in running/cycling will do 4 days of very low intense work and then one day of very intense stuff. Too much intensity is detrimental.

Completely depends on goals. If you're looking to supplement weight loss goals, do HIIT. If you're more concerned about health, do regular low intensity steady state cardio.

How many of you huff and puff if forced to go up a few flights of stairs?

*obnoxious clapping*

Whats a good cardio program to make your heart more efficient and have a lower heart rate?

>Most elite athletes in running/cycling will do 4 days of very low intense work and then one day of very intense stuff.

"low intensity" work to an ELITE athlete is probably mid to high intensity work for anyone here lol

>I feel like a mong using cardio machines.
You are a faggot.

People who do HIIT run for less than 10 minutes and say they do cardio.

Get out there and put some miles in. Boxing is also great cardio along with jump rope, and biking.

Lifting + instense cardio.

Both of those give you a lower heartrate in their own way. Cardio makes you more efficient, and lifting makes you heart stronger, and incrase the blood volume in each pump.

How about swimming?

dumbshit. HIIT for 20 minutes will do nothing in terms of calories. HIIT is just a lazy excuse for not running atleast an hour.

>10 minutes of movement
>cardio

heart doesn't get stronger, its not a muscle that can build.

lifting does nothing for the heart since its pure anaerobic.

the amount of bro-science in this thread...

>heart doesn't get stronger
literally retarded

>lifting weights builds heart muscles

k.

>he doesn't do heartlifts

It is not because it is relativ to for example vo2 max or heart rate

>heart doesn't get stronger, its not a muscle that can build.
Are you serious? When you lift maximally your muscles hinders blood flow. This cause a RESSISTANCE for your heart which is a pump which use MUSCLEs to pump blood.

Well aparrently it is possible

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1905938/
>The left ventricular mass as assessed by echocardiography was 8%, 12% and 16% larger in the resistance-trained group than in the control group in the first, second and third months, respectively.

This was done in rats, but this applies to humans too, and you can find studies about it, on humans.

>What is concentric hypertrophy by increased pressure in ventricles

You don't know shit about pathophysiology so fuck off

hey OP, this guy knows what hes talking about and i'm currently doing some of the workouts he suggests, good luck

youtu.be/zy41a_RtzNo?t=5m50s

Nice, I've seen this but forgot to save those damn HIIT workouts. I gotta get 300+ APFT beast mode before fall

How many times a day should i run a 100m dash at max speed? How many sets of 100m is good?

Your metabolic scope for anaerobic is about 20 times resting metabolism when well trained (i.e. about 2kw, as an example Bolt puts out about 2.2kw and Cavendish about 1.5kw on a sprint finish), whereas for more sustained aerobic it's only about 7 times, tho very few if any get to this level of sustained intensity. That means every 200m you sprint is probably at least equal to a minute of distance running, or more. That's far more efficient time wise.

Tabata has 8 of those, giving equivalent to roughly 16 minutes of fast distance running in 4 mins just from the movment. The physiological response also burns calories and gives you big muscles.

kek

nice dubs

What do you guys think about first running at a fairly light pace (10 km/h) for 3-4 minutes, then increasing the speed (11 km/h) for 2-3 minutes and then increasing the speed (12 km/h) once more for 2-3 minutes?

Its what I have usually done.

Intervals are great, but what I have begun to wonder is do you need to really go hard?
If you bring your heart rate up to a steady jog, then walk, never reaching above say, 70% MHR, are those recovery intervals teaching your heart 'recovery' similar to much harder intervals?

I think they ARE very valuable.

I run about 40 miles a week now, and am starting with a learn to run group, so matching them on very easy intervals. I currently have VO2M of 50, and MRHR the same, but those are too sloppy to really tell.

How will I know if my recovery has improved? Is the '2 minute heart rate recovery' test more accurate?

personally i do all of my LISS stuff outside on bike trails, and then ill keep my HIIT inside the gym

i did a couple rounds of tabata the other night at the gym and it kicked my ass. Definitely gonna keep it in my routine as opposed to other aimless HIIT stuff