When training for the Olympics, Michael Phelps ate 12,000 calories a day, with 4,000 calories per meal...

When training for the Olympics, Michael Phelps ate 12,000 calories a day, with 4,000 calories per meal. He burned off the 12,000 calories each day with swimming practice.

Even though his weight remained in equilibrium, what kind of effects could this diet and exercise have on his body if it continued in the long term? And also what would happen if someone were to increase that amount, maybe eating 20,000 calories a day and burning the same amount off?

Other urls found in this thread:

swimswam.com/how-much-food-do-swimmers-really-need-to-eat/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

move this to

>>>

I simply don't believe these diets athletes supposedly have.

It's bullshit.

When you do the same thing over and over and over and over again, especially at an Olympic tier level...the body adapts and becomes far more energy efficient.

You might burn 1,000 calories swimming for an hour straight, but Michael might only burn like 200, since he can perform his actions so efficiently.

Not to mention he is doing this activity at a very low bodyfat, meaning his total body-weight is lower, thus also needing less energy. He ain't some 25% bodyfat perma-bulker flapping around in the pool.

He's swimming as hard as he can tho. Just like the fat ass is. You're body doesn't adapt like thst. Either.

>It's bullshit.

>You might burn 1,000 calories swimming for an hour straight, but Michael might only burn like 200, since he can perform his actions so efficiently

this is idiotic, there's no way the body can adapt to become anywhere close to than many multiples of efficiency
also, the man swims for like 5 hours a day or some shit, while pushing his own limits - therefore any efficiency gains are nullified because he's working equally as hard as the 'average Joe' swimmer within his own frame of reference anyway

>t. lifelong swimmer

That and, for some reason, swimming in that cold water forces the body to burn FAR more calories then normal.

He'd need to eat well over 5k to not burn all of his muscle and bodymass.

>his body does less work because it adapted
someone skipped physics class

That person is actually correct.
HOWEVER the amount of efficiency that his body has does not mean that he doesn't burn more calories then normal.
As a matter of fact, if you weren't as high level an athlete as him(or on as good of a stack)there would be no way on earth you'd be able to burn that many calories in a day.

He's the ugliest prettiest athlete ever, probably due to his frame.
Can you imagine him being a manlet, he'd be like an ugly little dwarf with that face.

the reason is that your body expends more energy keeping the body warm and at equilibrium/homeostasis.

I did a 6 week training regimen in which I ate 5000-6000 calories per day and still lost weight. If you train all day you will lose weight almost no matter how much you eat. You will be burning faster than you can metabolize food.

This. I'm sure on intensive training days he had a lot more calories, but 12,000 is fucking absurd.

I get that he's an olympic athelete but there comes a point where you'd just be destroying your body rather than training, and I think you'd hit that limit before burning 12,000 calories.

I remember him actually coming out and saying this wasn't true

haha he ate 12000 cuz he got mad munchies from smoking weed

Also, even though his body weight is lower due to a lack of fat, muscle costs more calories just to maintain.

>Every time I lift I max
>Every time I run I go as far and as fast as I can

What you said is simply not true

All of you act like he just swam to train. High level swimmers spend almost as much time in the weight room as the pool.

Lmaoooooo

No they fucking don't.

This.
Every one in this thread going on about burning calories through training.
It's the "thermal load" (not a real term, you see what I mean) of water requiring a shitload of calories to maintain body temperature.

swimswam.com/how-much-food-do-swimmers-really-need-to-eat/

too lazy to go looking for better ressources, but Michael Phelps isn't a rare case. Swimmers down a shit load of calories, all of them

> He ain't some 25% bodyfat perma-bulker flapping around in the pool.

MFW this is me ;;(

>younger michael phelps will never fuck you
what's the point in living

perfect example of someone who would be an incel if they weren't famous

Imagine how big and often he shits if he's eating that much

That's because they are absurd, during his heaviest training he ate around 6000 calories

So if I just go sit in the bathtub with cold water I'll lose weight fast?

this