Intermittent fasting

Redpill me on intermittent fasting, /pol/.

It's the new meme diet I see every white person swear it works without crashing and provides huge health benefits.

Are the benefits any different from normal diet and exercise or are (((they))) trying to make Muslim's Ramadan more acceptable with this chic diet?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just eat less calories bro.

>are (((they))) trying to make Muslim's Ramadan more acceptable with this chic diet
Mental illness

The idea is to let your body make use of the breaking down -and- repairing itself for a longer amount of hours. When it repairs itself hormones that are good for you are released. You'd argue it breaks down equally if you eat X amount of calories but if it gets to go on for longer periods it'll be "more efficient" in some sense. I am not an expert but this is what I gathered from it. If you keep feeding it continuously in smaller amounts it won't be using it's breaking-and-repairing features as well.

In the long run it saves time and barely does any changes but may be a good alternative of dieting for people. It surprisingly does a good job at keeping you satisfied and less hungry after having stuffed yourself for a limited amount of hours during the day.

I literally do this everyday and didn't even know about "intermittent fasting". It's literally just skipping breakfast.

Im currently day 12 into testing it.
500 calories one day, up to maintanence the next day (i usually have a 250-500 deficit that day too). Continue workout all through. Keep protein high. Lost 16 pounds since starting. 6lbs of that was instant. So 10 real pounds. Id say 10% was muscle rest fat. Fast days 1-4 were meh, 5 was brutal, and 6 (my last one) was crazy easy literally no thought of food or hunger.

im a jew and even i appreciated this

the problems with IF is that it's unsustainable if you have any social life
>gf: user why won't you have breakfast with me?
>colleagues: user you're not gonna eat anything for lunch?
>friends: hey user let's go grab some dinner
granted this doesn't happen everyday, but for people who are not friendless NEETs this does happen and then your fast is fucked.
i guess if your life revolves around fitness then fine, but if you're just a person trying to better themselves you're probably better off sticking to normal food schedule

it fixes insulin levels.

which is even more important than calories in and out (since calorie deficit alone lowers metabolism).

it also increases HGH, since HGH is produced during fasting. if you spend 16 hours fasting, you produce more HGH than the usual 9-10 from sleep alone.

>implying you have to skip every meal
>implying you actually have friends
>implying you would be better off eating lunch at fucking Burger King with your fat coworkers

Yeah, sure, that about sums up IF in a totally logical way!

>are (((they))) trying to make Muslim's Ramadan more acceptable with this chic diet?
except muslim fasting doesnt allow you to drink and the timing is retarded (from sunrise to sunset LUL goodluck ''mudslim'' living near north pole)

Is there any proof to the stuff posted ITT or is it typical Veeky Forums broscience

I am six months since starting.

I do anything from 15 to 22 hours of fasting each day (I aim on 16).

The only negative is that if you don't eat right at night, you WILL get weaker during your lifts the next day.

Everything else is a positive. Period.

You can live your life not worrying about having to eat every 3 hours, you don't feel hungry, you sleep better, your cravings disappear, you don't get the hazy or lazy feeling you get eating multiple times a day (much sharper mind), you don't feel bloated, you gain more muscle (actual muscle, not the puffy/chubby look of overeaters). You can still eat whatever you want, you just do it in whatever your windows of eating is.

You can pig the fuck out every day, as long as you do it smart.

You could eat a whole pizza every day in one sitting, then a back of cookies as a snack later and still lose weight (which you wouldn't be able to when eating multiple meals a day).

I didn't have a single day of adaptation, I never liked eating breakfast, so it felt natural from day one.

IF is great.

It won't make you lose fat or build muscle magically faster than any other diet. Same principles apply, calories and macros are what defines your body composition.

It is really great for controlling hunger

It might improve your day to day function/mood - that definitely works for me. In my fasting period I feel very focused, no insulin spikes, I don't get tired or sleepy or whatever. In the feasting period I eat a nice big meal and feel full and satisfied.

Also training fasted is something I've really started to enjoy. I feel way more energetic, less bloated, more focused on the workout.

Studies say that there are some beneficial effects related to hormone production, but that's a pretty miniscule effect and I don't really care about that.

So It's just a nice diet that will possibly make you feel better, energetic, focused, more mentally capable or whatever in your day-to-day life. Give it a shot and see for yourself, it's very easy to get used to.

dr. Jason Fung has extremely detailed 45-minute videos with every research on it since 1850 (he's an expert in diabetes). Kinobody also has links to every study on his blog.

>it's the new meme diet
>quad had been advocating leangains for cutting since 2013
>kek

>not caring about hormones

you don't care about insulin and cortisol levels?

lol

It doesn't offer any benefits over any other calorie restricted diet. If you do it and your body reacts to it well (no loss of energy, maintain weight loss goals, etc) then do it, but it's nothing special.

By not eating you're keeping your blood insulin levels low. If insulin is low then your body can start using fat as a fuel source, breaking it down into glucose or glycogen. Every time you eat you get a blood insulin spike which means you switch into fat storage mode.

If you want to cut, then fast.

I used if last year to go from 260 pounds to 193 i ate 7 hours and fasted 17. You get used to the eating schedule. My diet was always roughly 2k cals I did minimal exercising at the time. I kept carbs on the low end but mostly just had what you could call a clean diet I suppose.

Just make sure to take a multi-vitamin and mineral tablet at start of day. If you're going to eat, eat fibre and protein only.

but it does
youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk

what ?

I've mentioned insulin in my post obviously.

But I don't care for the effect IF has on hormones. I don't do IF to regulate hormone synthesis. I don't get blood tests everyday to see how much it affects me. Who gives a fuck.