Explain the Russo-Japanese War to me. I don't understand how Japan won

Explain the Russo-Japanese War to me. I don't understand how Japan won.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r8KglkOgH-g
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Russia gave up. That's literally all there was to it, there was a major offensive by Japan that hit Russia hard, but the reality was that Japan threw everything that had into that offensive. All Russia had to do was wait like a month and Japan would've run out of supplies to fight the war.

R*ssians got btfo by the grorious rising sun

Russia went full retard

Russia has always been a paper tiger. People have been memed by WW2 and cold war propaganda.

This
My god only if you had been there they would had won... So all they had to do is wait for a month? you sound like a military genius

russia lost their like entire navy in one battle LMAO

This ignores the fact that the Japanese completely destroyed their navy, it'd take weeks to get fresh troops into combat, and on the home front people were quite literally revolting and everybody lost stomach for war. I don't think Russia could've continued if they wanted to.

Poor military doctrine on the Russian part and a weak political system. If the Russians were willing they would have defeated the Japanese.

Logistics. The Japanese were numerically and industrially inferior, but Russia's enormous inhospitable territory worked against them in this case. Transporting sufficient troops and supplies from the Russian heartland on the opposite side of Siberia was an impossible task. The Trans-Siberian railway had yet to be completed and in many areas there was no supplementary infrastructure available either. Additionally, the Russian navy was dated and inferior to the recently built Japanese fleet (not to mention stationed on the other side of the planet), so they were unable to restrict the Japanese from resupplying or reinforcing their mainland troops, or pose any threat to Japan proper.

5 Main Reasons:

1. Russia greatly underestimated the technological advancement by Japan:

In 25 years they went from a hermit backwater to a westernized military power. logistics, supplies and manpower had to be couriered across Siberia which along with the distance was a difficult task.

2. Communication between the war leadership and the government was extremely poor

So much so that the Tsar believed that Russia was actually winning up until the twilight moments of the war) You need to keep in mind this was the first time that a developed Western nation had been defeated abroad. And it ties in again to the difficulty relaying any kind of information across that vast of a distance.

3. Russia had to ferry their navy around the Horn of Africa, across the Indian Ocean and up to the Sea of Japan, so Japan had the maneuverability advantage at sea as well as land

4. On top of this the UK was heavily funding the war effort for Japan as they were also competing for influence with Russia in Asia.

5. The war was not seen as a priority by the government until things were far to late

Russia was busy making ways into Eastern and Southern Europe as well as power brokering against the Ottoman Empire, they were highly expansionist and they didn't recognize the scope of the threat Japan posed in Asia and presumed the war would be settled in a quick and decisive way for their side.

Tbf they lost the peace

Their baltic fleet. Iirc their main fleet was bottled up in the blacksea

Funny how by the 30s Japan couldn't even defeat Russia at its most remote extent

Russia was actually winning the war of attrition but was forced to give up by pressure and near revolution on the home front. There was literally a general strike in the entire empire.

How developed was Russia's far east at the time? Was that a primary factor in their loss?

I keep saying the same. Reading that felt like reading something that I wrote. Even nowadays, Russia army is pathetic. The only thing they have is nukes but good luck using them without huge repercussions

Yeah it's not like Russia has a long history of being a decisive and formidable opponent

I think Japans swift attack helped them a lot, they attacked before the declaration of war had arrived in Moscow leaving Russia surprised and not ready. It's a really interesting war and I wish we had more threads on it.

>Even nowadays, Russia army is pathetic
>Russia won the 2017 International Army Games against India and China
Makes you think. Any US vet I've ever known has told me that Russia would probably beat US 1 on 1 in a war, due to Big Army and our bloated military budget being wasted to line the pockets of politicians and the military industrial complex. The only reason that will never happen is because whole Russia could beat the USA, it would never be able to defeat NATO

Russia is not a joke anymore like it was after the fall of the Soviet Union. Their birth rates are increasing despite the massive problem with their aging population, their military is well organized and funded, and they are an extremely aggresive nation because they know they can get away with it.

Dumb.

Russian far east was vulnerable due to their limited capacity to resupply the front and limited defense. On top of that, they underestimated the Japanese (everyone did so its not a surprise to be surprised).

The trans Siberian railroad wasn't enough to keep troops well supplied and the sheer distance between Russia's industrial and agricultural hubs and the front line in Eastern Russia made it pretty easy for the Japanese (who themselves we're well armed and supplied) to end the war in their benefit.

Plus, their was a lot of social unrest at home. Kind of reminds of another war...

>they underestimated the Japanese (everyone did so its not a surprise to be surprised).
As soon as the war began there were political cartoons being made of Russia's victory

>Russia would probably beat US 1 on 1 in a war

Not wishing to derail this thead, but I seriously doubt this. I'm not saying the Russians don't stand a chance but the US military is still a formidable force despite our incredible capacity at wasting resources and tendency to blunder around deserts looking for terries.

>Ctrl+f "Suez"
>0 results
This board is brainlet central

So if you think the Russians had access through there they wouldn't have gotten btfo anyway?

Every war is 90% logistics so yeah.

Nah man
youtube.com/watch?v=r8KglkOgH-g

lol

Putting the USA and Russia on an island together doesn't really matter because that's not reality. Even without nukes, neither country could realistically invade the other without a massive alliance with other countries.

lol

Nigga even if they could pass through the Suez it'd still be a logistical nightmare to get all the way to Japan.

That wouldn't make the baltic fleet not shit.
What would be the war goal, theater, level of escalation? I can''t see the USA or Russia successfully invading the other.

>I don't understand how Japan won.
the russians were completely incompetent
>hurr durr there are jap ships in the english channel better shoot them, i'm sure they're not just english fishermen

The only thing the suez would have done is make the baltic fleet's suffering shorter.

Didnt they lose like half of it before they even arived?
Someone post that screencap

What? US have absolute Air and Navy superiority, in no nukes scenario, Russia is stomped in few weeks max. Tanks and infantry aint shit if you cant move it.

lol

According to this book the Russians and other Europeans greatly underestimated the Japanese, who decades earlier were a agrarian society but had undergone a massive industrial revolution, and didn't think the Japs would even think of attacking them. The Japs did a devastating surprise attack to start the war and Russia's military overall wasn't that good and caught completely off guard.

>their like entire
This isn't English

lmao

Holy shit.
That level of sheer lunacy is almost phenomenal to behold.

they had more active soldiers participating in pacifying riots in poland than on war front