Eat MORE salt!

They were wrong about fat; and they were wrong about salt too.

Most people seem to have TOO LITTLE sodium in their diet!

sandiegouniontribune.com/business/biotech/sd-me-salt-diet-20170425-story.html

Its better to have 6-8g a day of salt than it is to have 2g a day.

And for the love of god, if you are eating whole foods then add some salt and pepper to your meal as its actually very healthy. I used to eat bland food thinking it was healthier FML

Other urls found in this thread:

gov.uk/government/news/report-on-dietary-sodium-intakes
circ.ahajournals.org/content/129/10/1173.long
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

brb literally buying a salt lick

Huh. The average is really that low in US?

In the UK 'The mean estimated salt intake, derived from urinary sodium excretion, for adults aged 19 to 64 years was 8.1g per day. Men had a mean estimated intake of 9.3g per day, and women had a mean estimated intake of 6.8g per day'
gov.uk/government/news/report-on-dietary-sodium-intakes

I'm surprised they'd be so different.

>wrong on sat fat
>wrong on cholesterol
>wrong on salt

they made all the healthy food "bad" and told us to eat high sugar low fat artificial food

broscience time but i find that hard to believe. 3-4g has been the best for me. anything less and i feel sluggish, anything more and my lips are continuously dry even tho im drinking 3/4 of a gallon a day.

I feel like garbage if I don't salt my food a lot on keto.

Salt makes my face bloat. Why is that

Face salt genetics.

>pop sci article on observational study
kys scientifically illiterate retard

circ.ahajournals.org/content/129/10/1173.long

I fell for the low sodium meme and ended up having to piss 100 times a day because my body did not have enough of it to retain water

The yanks just can't do a gid bag of chips like we can

>the thing the membranes of every cell in your body are made out of is good
>the thing that's literally required so that your brain functions is good
huh

>too much of a good thing is still good guys!

kys

>forgoing decades of research indicating high sodium intake is associated with hypertension and increased risk for cardiac events
>can't explain why low-salt diets (e.g. DASH) improve blood pressure in hypertensive patients
>can't understand increased blood volume = increased blood pressure

This isn't how science is done.

It could be that way because people who have heart problems in the first place are already on low sodium diets. You need to think about causality when making conclusions like this.

I acquired diabetes by doing the food pyramid diet (also gained about 70 lbs after reaching adulthood).

I found out after I got a blood test at the end of this past December. Since then I went to a diabetes class that my insurance was offering, in which they gave me a lot of info on diet. Basically eat as much as I want of veggies and protein and a decent amount of fruit. No calories of any kind through drinks and limit bread, pasta, sweets. Eat mostly unprocessed food that I prepare myself, bison burgers, steak, salmon, halibut, chicken breast, etc.

Since I started this diet in January I've lost 24 pounds.

Fucking crazy, government gave me some bad fucking info.

>dont eat fats guys, they make you fat and give you heart disease!
>dont eat salt guys, it fucks your shit up!
>dont eat sugar guys, it gives you diabetes!
>dont eat meat guys, it gives you cancer!
>dont eat eggs guys, they give you high cholesterol!

nutrition "science" can go to fucking hell.
since these buffoons seem to switch their opinions about what is good and bad every few years, i'll just continue eating a balanced diet made up of ingredients that my ancestors have been eating for thousands of years. fuck those "scientists", at this point they're about as useless as sociologists or gender studies majors lmao

>not understanding that a 16 year study involving over 2500 people showed that the high salt diet had fewer heart attacks than the low salt diet

this

as long as you arent eating a gigantic amount of calories and are getting in good amounts of healthy nutrients eat whatever the fuck you want. these guys dont know shit

This

I started preparing my own food because of other health concerns, and a few weeks later I start having unquenchable thirst, pissing and feeling woozy all day. I can see why it works for hypertensive people, low-salt is basically a diuretic diet.

I don't know what the fuck to believe anymore.

I think the best advice is a varied diet. i.e. lots of different shit every day.

Honestly it should say salt AND potassium

And pepper is fucking amazing, who doesnt add it to everything

>Most people seem to have TOO LITTLE sodium in their diet!
No shit, of course most malnourished third-worlders would have too little of anything in their diet.

>blaming the government for getting fat
americans are amazing

Is this a meme?

Salt increases water retention.

wtf i love salt now

The AHA says that this study is flawed.

>By Bradley J. Fikes - Contact Reporter

>average american consumes 3.4 to 3.7 grams per day
>3 to 6 grams associated with lowest odds

IT'S BETTER TO HAVE 6-8 GRAMS GUYS

>bag of chips
wait a minute, are you tryin to have a giggle w/ me m8?

Eat a banana every day. Or find electrolyte powder.

It's not the scientists telling you what to eat. They just do some studies on the relation between certain eating habits and certain measures of physical health, with the assumption that anyone reading their studies will have the scientific literacy to understand the limitations of their findings. Then the fitness industry takes over from there. They'll just gloss over new studies, and look for any data they can generalize into a novel idea that they can construct new bullshit diet programs around, or just turn into low-hanging clickbait headlines like SCIENTISTS DISCOVER THAT CUCUMBERS CAUSE CANCER.

This actually fits perfectly with this term I read the other day: Confusopoly. If the fitness industry provided good information, they'd just be telling everyone to grab a 50 page book telling about the basics of dietary balance. There'd be barely any profits to be made. So instead the whole industry is incentivized to just fuck around and mislead everyone, make it all seem complicated while insisting they have all the answers.

The AHA syas you need less than 500mg Na a day. I've been on a 250mg Na a day. I feel terrible.

Don't overdo salt though. Make sure you get a good balance of all your electrolytes. Get a ton of potassium and magnesium too. Potassium is pretty easy to get if you're eating a lot of eggs, meat, spinach, and avocados. Magnesium I usually just take a supplement because it's easier.

Never had the keto flu because of proper electrolyte balance, never felt groggy, haven't gotten sick in maybe a year(probably unrelated broscience).

Ketofag for nearly a year

Drink more water

>wanting a fat face

>not balancing your electrolytes

Why is it EVERY bit of nutritional advice turns out to be wrong in 5 years or so?

primary reason is that it's illegal to use humans like lab rats so you don't have the scientific rigor in studies. like you can take 20 lab rats and gove half of them 0 sodium and half a near lethal dose to study effects. no human will sign up for that

You really should not eat meat though, assuming your trying to live a morally righteous life.

Because the fitness community believes that studies are science, which they are not

He doesnt know that studies are often funded by corporations with agendas. He doesnt know that people are literally found dead when they start releasing studies that risk a corporations reputation.

The same reason Macs and gaming consoles are rendered useless every 5 years or so.
Basically what this guy said