What martial arts should I pick up? muay thai seems interesting but it fucks you up in the long run...

what martial arts should I pick up? muay thai seems interesting but it fucks you up in the long run, thinking of just doing basic boxing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SGpDVCkhtD4
youtube.com/watch?v=2nzHykS-r2M
youtube.com/watch?v=FZVlwLluF4Y
youtu.be/Lpl_7w8-jTE
youtube.com/watch?v=4DRRLf34tHc
youtube.com/watch?v=X2qPMFijyks
youtube.com/watch?v=aIjG4OJEHnI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Boxing fucks you up way more because it's purely strikes to the head
There is no one size fits all really, what are you interested in?

basic self defense, boxing seems good since it's nothing super flashy and knowing how to strike with a good technique seems very useful.

The thing about self defense is that you're not going to box with the other person. If someone is going to attack you they aren't going to be afraid to use attacks to the groin or take you down and kick you while you're down. Unless you're going to be really dedicated to boxing it won't give you a real advantage in a real combat situation.
If you're interested in self defense, you should probably look for self defense classes, but if you want a martial art that is relevant to self defense then muay thai is a good choice and wrestling is a good choice. What you want in self defense is to quickly neutralize the attacker and escape. Ultimately I'd say MMA is the ultimate style of martial arts for self defense because it is the closest to real combat, because it is a combination of striking and wrestling.

japanese jiu-jitsu, lots of different strikes, throws and submission techniques with an emphasis on self defense but I think it really depends on the dojo

no, self defense classes are bullshit, because you don't learn to KO people.
they swing their arms around like monkeys and try to hurt you with slaps.
mma schools strike to the head, too.
average boxing school is ten times better, than 90% of martial art clubs.

How do you imagine a self defense situation? You're not going to start boxing with the guy attacking you, especially if you are attacked by multiple people. They aren't going to respect the rules of boxing such as nothing but punches. A drunk guy attacking you or a group of delinquents are going to have no problem with kicking you, taking you down, etc

youtube.com/watch?v=SGpDVCkhtD4

Vast majority of people go for striking with the hands, and those who go for kicking usually can't kick for shit anyway.

Not that hard to kick someone in the balls

>Enter martial art thread
>The eternal same discussion about self defense vs sport
Jesus christ you can do a martial art beside the need to learn self defense.

Muay thai is a great sport and well rounded. It'll fuck you up in the long run if you train very hard. You can do it as a hobby for a few years to see if you want to take it a step further. Same with boxing, unless you really do a lot of amateur fights you won't get brain problems.
Personally I prefer boxing to MT because you're much more mobile in boxing. I do savate and whenever we cross spar the MT practitioner usually are static ,blocking instead of evading the blows. It works well but it's less fun for me.

Someone asked him what he's interested in and he replied with self defense, not the sport or the philosophy

You are full of shit. Knowing the basics of boxing gives you a big advantage over any regular joe soap who doesnt do anything. Knowing the basics of pretty much any martial art does baring the stupid kung fu bullshit ones.

Getting kicked in the balls isnt an instant take down in real life either.

To elaborate on this just because you know how to box doesn't mean you are forced to fight someone like in a boxing match if they fight you in the street. It just means that you are way better than them at punching, blocking, slipping, and foot work. There isnt anything stopping you from throwing kicks or grappling either and you will be equally bad at it as the other guy so it doesnt put you at a disadvantage.

I'd do muay thai over boxing just for the clinch and elbow techniques

Win Ching if want practical self defence. Other Wu Shu if just wants to enjoy doing it.

Dont pick shit like Muai Thai, Boxing or Jiu Jitsu as it`ll fuck you up.

Karete and Taekwondo are not fun to practice.

Sambo is ok. If you just want to spar and punch people, then Sanda is the safest.

>Win Ching
Wing Chun obviously

The most practical for self defence to learn asap. The most impractical is probably Aikido.

>Win Ching if want practical self defence.
>The most practical for self defence to learn asap.

ITT: fag that never did any martial arts of the mentioned and has zero clue

>Jiu Jitsu as it`ll fuck you up
fucking complete amateur, what are you even saying? i couldnt imagine a safer art, or are you seriously expecting people get their ligaments torn daily?

That's OK, I don't need to hear the specials. Can I just get an order of General Tso's?

Yes it fucking is!

Judo is safer. Jiu Jitsu is pretty traumatic, combined with being impractical in real life aside one on one situations. Its very effective art, but its requires very good physical core and you WILL get traumatized - and no i dont mean thorn ligaments, i mean broken limbs as well.

Maybe if they use full force and you do nothing to avoid it. But most times I have been hit in the balls has been a glancing blow simply because I move to protect them and then it really doesn't hurt that much.

A solid boxer will always beat a win ching guy trust me i've done both. Once you take away the distance, win ching guy is fucked because no moe chain punches

Scratch that, its actually pretty good for self defence basics as far not ground wrestling goes - but most of Jiu Jitsu self defence techniques are by default traumaticc.

What is with Veeky Forums and this "it's one or the other" attitude towards martial arts? Why not just take a bunch?

>Dont pick shit like Muai Thai, Boxing or Jiu Jitsu as it`ll fuck you up.

ITT: fag that was never in a real fight

>ITT: fag that never did any martial arts of the mentioned
Of course I didn't waste my time with ching chung bullshit when throughout every competition it's been shown that it's not effective.

>Win Ching if want practical self defence

>it doesn't hurt to get hit in the balls
>my proof is personal experience with not being hit in the balls

>Why not just take a bunch?
Time + money

>I have never trained anything

Idiot

Boxing teaches you to punch. Thats about it. Wing Chung is lead martial art along jiu jitsu tought world wide by police and security forces for a reason.

its basic are simply to learn, effective, and it helps you in real fights when theres need to deflect attack of suppress enemy.

As far ring fight of boxing vs Wing Chung, the key factor there will be not boxer`s skill, but his physique - making most of Wing Chung techniques somewhat ineffective, but then again - those who practice it dont stick just with one art, and chinese wushu in general assumes knowledge of multiple styles. The Sanda is no different from kickboxing, and Wing Chung federation worldwide even combine it with Jiu Jitsu (though its mostly South American federations, but ist effective).

If anything, in skilled fight without gloves i`d bet on Karate practicioners - since they focus on precision, speed and that one strike that`ll knock you out/disfigure.

>Win Ching if want practical self defence.
youtube.com/watch?v=2nzHykS-r2M
What a joke

>Wing Chung is lead martial art along jiu jitsu tought world wide by police and security forces for a reason.

No it isn't. If anything than it's Krav Maga.
The US Military teaches BJJ by the way and the Marines have their own system.

>If anything, in skilled fight without gloves i`d bet on Karate practicioners - since they focus on precision, speed and that one strike that`ll knock you out/disfigure.

In a street fight the guy with the most experience in street fights wins. And you obviously aren't one of them

>Boxing teaches you to punch. Thats about it
Have you ever been in a knuckle fight with a boxer? They have like 5 moves but train it to perfection, their combos have become second nature and will knock you out faster than you can say win Ching. Good luck with your ling long

man I need to rewatch all the early UFCs. Fucking multiple fights in one night, essentially no rules, no weight classes, and people not knowing what the fuck they are doing. The absolute madmen

need to stop watching those Bruce Lee/IP Man movies dude

EVERYBODY WING CHUNG TONIGHT

>need to stop watching those Bruce Lee/IP Man movies dude
Always the same with those ching wing guys. Just a solid takedown, going into mount and punching him unconcious because he has no fucking clue how to defend a takedown or fight on the ground

>how to become a wing chun master
youtube.com/watch?v=FZVlwLluF4Y

Projecting too hard. Wing Chung actually served me great in real brawls. I`ve never really seen effective Jiu Jitsu practicioner aside from some police members i spared with, and last one ended with me breaking his teeth in 2 inch swing while he focused on "successful" hold.

Muai Thai is nothing special as far technique goes. Its all training methodics and unless you learn it as french/thai pros for tournaments - its a meme akin to popular fitness routines in the gyms.

Jiu Jitsu at least is quite effective against unprepared brawlers and actually - boxers/muai thai guys.

Who i`d think twice about fighting are experienced Karate/Taekwondo guys since awoiding their strikes is trained well is not really viable. You can win, but inevitable take big damage.

I practice Chinese martial arts mostly now since older and because love acrobatic aspect, outgrewing need to compete - if you do martial arts for many years, what you do and how you train matters a lot to not become boring, and thats where Wu Shu wins.

As for practice, most i know feature and trained many styles over time and just use what fits them best/adapt elements of what they like unless they are sportsmen. You however develop a certain movement dynamic that is strongly coined by what fits you most/practicioned most and it`ll stay with you.

For me its combination of Wing Chung, Sanda and Chen Chuan leg work. And as for "real fights", theres simple trick that works like magic and doesnt really need to learn much - forget the legs/fists meme and learn to hit with your ellbows - and no, not Muai Thai technique, since it has shit legwork. Reason i use Wing Chung, is it lets approach to distance to actually hit with them.

Cost/time wise, what's the difference between taking one class for 10 years vs 5 classes 2 years each?

You have never trained anything, we get it. No need to further express your idiocy.

>If anything than it's Krav Maga.
Please get out of the internet and go actually practice some martial arts before posting. Krav Maga is a meme, akin to Capoeira that only exists as marketing trick.

If want practical military art, stop doing bullshit and learn Sambo at least.

>Reason i use Wing Chung, is it lets approach to distance to actually hit with them.

Thats what every Boxer will take away from you. fucking distance.

>Projecting too hard. Wing Chung actually served me great in real brawls. I`ve never really seen effective Jiu Jitsu practicioner aside from some police members i spared with, and last one ended with me breaking his teeth in 2 inch swing while he focused on "successful" hold.

Watch every UFC fight ever that went to the ground

>Muai Thai is nothing special as far technique goes.
It doesn't have to be "special", it has to be effective which is it unlike your bullshit.

Have you? There is zero a boxer can do agains elbow in a temple. Boxing is a not "real fight" martial art, its sport.

I said if anything. Of course it's not the most effective martial art, you have to have solid skills in boxing and bjj in my opinion. Krav maga is like getting a phd because it trains against multiple attackers but would be worthless unless you haven't trained the basic martial arts for years

Lack of proficiency, thus a shitty ROI

How do you plan to deliver that elbow if the boxer is doing what he is trained to and that is keeping the fucking distance.

>any of these fighting styles being more effective than stripping naked and pooing on yourself

This is bait or a 16 year old having a power fantasy

Krav maga is used as a practical martial art in military, particularly the Israeli army

you're full of shit lol. old man who thinks his knowledge of esoteric shit MAs is worth anything LOL neck yourself you're retarded

when will they learn Veeky Forums?

shut up, we're not friends

fuck, i know its kids. but. this is so goddamn beautiful.

gross dude

>click through other related videos
>it's 100x the same thing, takedown into getting pounded to a pulp
>sometimes transforming into submission
JUST kek

actually practiced this for 1.5 years as a teenager. I stopped because i expected this to be the result. Apparently i chose well.
The practice is just so far removed from reality of fighting.

OP here got home from the gym

I think what I'll do is take some amateur boxing classes first, see how I like it, do it for a while and then pick up some other martial arts. Maybe kickboxing. not going to compete in amateur fights lol, it's just to stay more fit and improve myself. most likely gonna start it with a friend, I have one who's trained judo all of his life so he'll probably be happy to come with me

my country is fucking flooding with refugees and I want to know how to fucking defend myself when I get jumped on in the night (has happened to some of my friends, some of my girlfriends carry pepper spray and don't even walk alone late at night anymore)

reason i'm going boxing is because I have literally never been in a fight in my life and I feel like if I known the basics of boxing and spar a lot I can move more easily into some a bit more complicated martial arts with kicking and everything

thanks for the replies

What country?
Sounds like a good plan but don't go kickboxing, go BJJ instead so you can fuck people up on the ground

From hours watching chimpouts and wilding on world star hip hop, it seems like every fight in which both people are unarmed ends up on the ground. Do bjj if you are interested in defense.

Finland

we're not as bad as Sweden yet but it's fucking happening

okay so my plan now is couple months of very serious boxing training and after that bjj, any tips

Just fucking train OP. Go to a school for adults, not a kindergarten. Regardless of style, if it's full of young men in decent to good shape training like fighters (padwork, sparring, rolling, drills etc) then you're good.

Seriously. You can always cross train or dojo hop later. Just commit to something. Muay thai and boxing are both good. Do a year plus of one then consider the other again. As a total noob all you need to do is get on the matts/in the ring/in the cage and get some hours in.

only thing that kinda annoys me I'm broke as shit now, the good thing with boxing seems to be that it's cheap af. once you know the basics I can pretty much do it for free. browsing thru the classes it's gonna cost more to train the others, but I'll do it.

The Israeli army sucks though, since they got rocked by Lebanese militia they only stay home and shoot Palestinian kids.
Lol at a state losing to a glorified Lebanese gun club, it would be like the US army getting btfo by the Texan NRA.

You know so much about Warfare

It's used as a practical martial art in many military forms, your opinion doesn't change this fact; which is also the original point of my reply. Fact > opinions, and stop confusing the two

I can't do krav maga. if i use krav maga on somebody who assault me on the streets here I'll end up in court. self defence laws in my country are absolutely fucked. if somebody breaks into your house you can't do shit.

with boxing/bjj I won't fuck up anyone too bad but enough that I won't get fucking stabbed/gf get raped

That makes no sense at all.

the dude just has to land in a bad position and he might be fucked for life regardless of martial arts

If you look up on YouTube muay Thai fighters almost always own pure boxers or kick boxers, it's fucking hard core.

Check this, the kickboxer is an undefeated legend of the sport, but the muay Thai leg kicks fuck him up.

youtu.be/Lpl_7w8-jTE

If you want something that fits with your lifting routine I believe judo is best, your strength gains easily compliment the sport, it translates well. Plus throwing your opponent on the floor a couple of times is usually enough to get them to give up.

For ground game bjj is king, if you have even a small amount of experience and it ends up on the ground with an inexperienced opponent you'll probably submit him fairly quickly, regardless of his size.

>If you want something that fits with your lifting routine I believe judo is best, your strength gains easily compliment the sport, it translates well.
This + wrestling if you have the opportunity.

>If you want something that fits with your lifting routine I believe judo is best, your strength gains easily compliment the sport, it translates well

It's called wrestling senpai

>muay thai
>le ebin run away and low kick people until time runs out
>le ebin clinch oh wait enjoy being taken down and submitted
>le did a striking martial art for 5 years but still can't punch

Muay thai is shit, boxing/wrestling/jewdo are ok.

Boxing is the only martial art useful for self defence because it lets you kite multiple people while throwing punches and keeping your distance.

my nigger

idk i just think krav maga is too hardcore, i don't even want to know how to pull of those moves, wouldn't be comfortable with knowing how to fuck up somebody that badly. i still want to have fun training, krav maga feels fucking terrifying to me.

Krav maga is only good if you are taught by somebody who has directly trained with the Israeli military.

Everything else is a meme, I'm sure it's better than not being trained at all, but if you want the best martial art you need to look at the ones used in mma, krav maga, and kung full or whatever might be useful against normies, but they are useless against anybody that is trained in a martial art.

If you are trained in something effective against other martial artists, then normies will be BTFO.

Isn't it more terryfing to know that you might end up dead in a street fight? That why you have to go into full warrior mode when it comes down to it. Train like you fight

My leg is longer than your arm.

I'll just leg kick you to submission because I'm out of reach.

And how is boxing effective against multiple people? They aren't going to politely queue up while they take turns fighting you. As soon as you swing for one guy the second will tackle you to the ground.

That vid shows exactly why mt is considered a good martial art, and why it sucks in reality.
>mt dude is KDd twice
>mt dude spends the next five minutes just doing low kicks

Try that in a "street fight" vs 2 people, enjoy being taken to the ground the moment you stand in one spot for that one second needed to deliver the kick. Kneeing people in the clinch is okay but you don't need muay thai to learn that.

this is why i hide my gains as well as I can. I feel idiots try to jump people who are ripped way more because they'll think they'll look cool when they can beat up a big guy.

>I'll just leg kick you to submission because I'm out of reach.

good luck doing this in a street fight.

Seen this too often when the due tried to kick and he lost balanced

Good point.

I would recommend you to take a look on the U.S. Marine LINE (Linear Infighting Neural Override Engagement) Program, which is a very simple, but also very effective and easy to learn self defense combat system. If you type 'us marine line program' in the YouTube search bar you will find a good instruction video, made by the marines, where you can easily follow every single motion they're doing. This self defense combat system has helped a lot of people, including me, to get out of serious trouble.

*dude
*balance

irl let's say 2 to 3 people come at you, you can still land a fucking powerful low kick on one guy that'll absolutely fuck his leg up. the one guy goes down, best scenario is his friends are shocked and you'll have enough time to run the fuck away. you don't have to stay and fight them.

Nothing about this example is anywhere near relevant for OP question and i don't know why you would cite this here.
In a real fight, the muay thai would've been curbstomped after having his jaw broken, he wouldn't get to kick his opponent in the knee 200 times and have a referee break the fight every time it goes anywhere near a clinch/grapple.

Exactly.

This is why the guy who has more experience in street fights will likely win

Not a good idea to go to the ground when Ahmed Al-Hassan has five other friends ready to curb stomp you

sure but when it happens you at least have a slight chance

youtube.com/watch?v=4DRRLf34tHc

You don't kick if you're not trained for it.

Because you can move backwards while delivering punches that despite not being powerful enough to KO let you keep multiple people at a distance and eventually fuck off away.
youtube.com/watch?v=X2qPMFijyks
youtube.com/watch?v=aIjG4OJEHnI
When you kick, you can't kite at the same time and get rekt, if your attackers aren't retarded.

>leg kick into submission
>implying there's an arm kick
Yeah, you will leg kick a boxer into submission, but you don't see this shit in say MMA because it doesn't work when there's any amount of grappling involved.

Martial arts are shit in general and only help vs retards who don't know how to fight.

You never know who you run into. If you fight a trained guy who has the reflexes to defend your kick, you might get buttfucked afterwards. I've worked as a bouncer for 4 years believe me when is say i saw lots of bad things happening when people tried to kick

running

What "slight chance" do you get from ground game against several opponents? The best course of action would be to immobalize the faggot that put you to the ground and then getting up again as quickly as possible.