When doing pause ATG squats:

when doing pause ATG squats:

at the bottom (pause) part of the lift, just before you begin the eccentric part and stand up, do you create a small bounce first and take advantage of the momentum coming up?

is that cheating?

or are you supposed to drive up without the help from momentum?
please help

>pic related

What the fuck do you mean by bounce.

There isn't really a pause either, but there's not a bounce. Squat heavy enough and it'll take care of itself.

he's asking about pause squats retard

bounce before the pause (or don't bounce)

hello dyel

>mfw this user doesn't know how to bounce out of a squat nor what a pause squat is
out

Ugh I do it too.

But then again I don't compete so it wouldn't ever be cheating for me.

Also I like to bounce at the top too

Ideally you're supposed to drive up without bouncing. The point of a paused squat is to minimise the elastic contribution of your muscles to the movement - the exact opposite of plyometric movements. By pausing, you preferentially load the non-elastic (neither SEC nor PEC) components of your muscle.

If you bounce, you're re-introducing elastic contraction into the movement, which defeats the purpose of pausing.

just when he thought he knew enough to stop lurking and start participating. oh well, another 3 or 4 months lurking wont hurt you.

Yeah sometimes when it gets hard like on the last reps in the 3 set I do this. I try to avoid it though because like you said It is cheating but still better than failing the rep completely

>there's not a bounce
entire pages are dedicated to the bounce in the book your image is from (minus the shitter).

turn red......now.

>mfw refusing to accept the cold hard truth infront of my eyes because it'll make things harder

Glad I could help, I suppose

Well, generally, the purpose of pause squats is preciselly to avoid that reflex in order to create more strength in the bottom of the movement. Of course, you do what you think its best for you.

a little bounce is fine, it's still way different from doing regular squats.

the tripfaggot sounds correct, but he failed to mention that the most important thing about doing a little bounce in paused squats helps because of the stretch reflex (not because of stored elastic energy).
stretch reflex basically helps you engage all muscle fibers simultaneously, which is a good thing.

do a little bounce or dead-stop completely, it doesn't matter much anyway.

wish the gym on my boat was this big, damn near had to buy tickets for the squat rack .

I bounce out, but imo paused ATG hits your lower back too hard, and I only do it if I catch some dyel miring, so I pretend to fail a rep, then shoot back up.

Weightlifting is so lonely you end up playing dumb games like this.

>Giving advice when you don't know anything

Classic fit

You're correct, but that's why I said ideally. I will concede that a small bounce or rock at the base of the movement can help with recruitment into drive, and while it's not an absolute recommendation, it comes down to why you're pausing at the base of the squat in the first place. So long as the OP's doing his work with good form, sensible weight, and being mindful of pain and any movement derangement, he'll be okay.

I'll do more reading on squats - cheers for the good eye.

A paused squat should be three separate events: the eccentric, a dead stop, and then the concentric. If you're generating a stretch reflex at the bottom it's not a pause squat. You're meant to completely stop, as though you were frozen in time, and then come back up from the exact place you stopped at.

this isn't cheating, this is an advantage that every good squatter learns to take advantage of when trying to squat maximum weight. It also makes the lift put 0 pressure on the knees

>I'll do more reading on squats
good.

just stop tripfagging.