Is Intermittent Fasting a meme? Be honest. If not, how effective is it for cutting? Say, in one month...

Is Intermittent Fasting a meme? Be honest. If not, how effective is it for cutting? Say, in one month, how much bf% can you drop if you adhere to it loyally? Tell me about your experiences.

Other urls found in this thread:

boxofhealth.net/2017/05/04/should-you-try-a-low-carb-diet/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26374764
jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2623528
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump

another bamb? or do I have to disguise this as a manlet hate thread to fish for replies?

It's just a mental trick to consume fewer calories, on the same tier as skipping breakfast.
It doesn't matter what times you eat at, only how much.

I imagine most of the A U G M E N T E D M E T A B O L I S M shit is memes but it is a good tool for managing calorie intake.

Wtf are these words. Just simply say you skip a meal lmao what's so fancy about that??? You skip a fucking meal then you eat less and has less fat

Holy shit whole fitness industry is full of retards who pretend to be smart

got the image in high res?

Its basically hey look at me I can use diction to sound semi intelligent while saying absolutely nothing

to the retards that say it's just skipping a meal to eat less calories overall, nope.

if you eat THE SAME amount of calories you normally do, but do it in the 8 or less hour window, you STILL get the benefits of IF.

HGH is produced during fasting. to most people, by the time they wake up, they had barely started producing HGH or worse, haven't started at all. if you want to guarantee HGH production, you need to fast 12 hours straight.

also, fasting is the easiest way to get healthy. if you have food on your stomach, especially carbs, your body will NOT fix your cold, your allergy or whatever you're sick with. it's the whole reason you go to sleep, so your body can digest the food, THEN AFTERWARDS use the energy to fix whatever need fixing.

SLEEPING IS FASTING WHILE NOT SPENDING ENERGY.

by fasting, you extend the time your body spends fixing itself with the energy you consumed the previous day. eating will stop the "fixing" and re-start the insulin loop of saving energy for whenever you're fasted.

if you only fast while you're sleeping, you're NOT giving your body enough time to fix itself. it'll spend most of your sleep (5-6 hours out of the 8) just breaking down the food you ate.

THREE HOURS OF HEALING IS NOT ENOUGH.

you'll wake up sluggish, sore, unfocused.

I DARE anyone to fast and say they can't feel how sharp their mind gets after 12 hours of fasting.

fix your insulin, increase HGH, increase focus, improve your skin, lose weight.

that's fasting.

dr. jason fung has ALL the links to research on it - everything has been proven beyond any doubt.

quotes Jason Fung and not Dr. Joel Wallach and doesn't post Fungs links.

One of them is in the Smithsonian for his research and one of them is not. I'll trust Dr. Joel Wallach thank you very much...the guy in the Smithsonian..

OP here.
What about this Joel Wallach?

how do i figure out how i need to fast for its positive effects?

Fact: It's a meme.

i did keto diets to get my body fat down and it did wonders but its not for everyone, you can get some insight here if you like just to check if its for you or not
boxofhealth.net/2017/05/04/should-you-try-a-low-carb-diet/

Intermittent fasting is also really good because it also mean you're doing intermittent keto , it get even better when you do keto + If desu .

look its another anti carb shitpost

i'm currently doing alternate-day fasting + Keto. I just skip a day of eating, and then eat any keto foods I want the next. I'm usually full as heck on the eating days, so it's hard to go over my calorie target. The fasting days are getting easier. I just have a cup of tea/coffee when I feel like eating, have a cup of chicken broth in the afternoon, and drink water all day.

another month or two of this and I should be at my target weight.

Nice, don't forget that it is not only a weight loss tool and is actually the most healthy way of living / eating , don't drop it after target , you can even bulk up and gain muscle on it .

I can't read that shit, got a bigger image?

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26374764

a study you can read, doesn't go into long term effects, but clearly substantial short term benefits for overall health and weight loss

>Trusting government paid scientists
SHIGGY

I've been doing 20/4 fasting on a high protein, medium fat, low carb cut for the past 40 days at 1700-1900 cals per day

I still got a ways to go but it's working for me so far. Give it a try, I like it

It's very effective, in fact its so effective that it's got really popular leading to a contrarian backlash where its called a meme.

It's the easiest way to lose weight and has a bonus of keeping your gains.

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26374764
>However, some studies indicate that neither alternate-day fasting nor whole-day fasting provides greater body composition improvements than isocaloric caloric restriction.23,19,64 The extremely limited number of time-restricted feeding studies precludes definitive conclusions about this form of intermittent fasting

user, I...

try this

jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2623528
>Alternate-day fasting does not produce superior weight loss or weight maintenance compared with daily calorie restriction.

?? where does it say that.

Intermittent fasting is a broad term that encompasses a variety of programs that manipulate the timing of eating occasions by utilizing short-term fasts in order to improve body composition and overall health. This review examines studies conducted on intermittent fasting programs to determine if they are effective at improving body composition and clinical health markers associated with disease. Intermittent fasting protocols can be grouped into alternate-day fasting, whole-day fasting, and time-restricted feeding. Alternate-day fasting trials of 3 to 12 weeks in duration appear to be effective at reducing body weight (≈3%-7%), body fat (≈3-5.5kg), total cholesterol (≈10%-21%), and triglycerides (≈14%-42%) in normal-weight, overweight, and obese humans. Whole-day fasting trials lasting 12 to 24 weeks also reduce body weight (≈3%-9%) and body fat, and favorably improve blood lipids (≈5%-20% reduction in total cholesterol and ≈17%-50% reduction in triglycerides). Research on time-restricted feeding is limited, and clear conclusions cannot be made at present. Future studies should examine long-term effects of intermittent fasting and the potential synergistic effects of combining intermittent fasting with exercise

What do your meals look like? I can't even fathom low carb meals that are a reasonable calorie count.

Also from your link:

" alternate-day fasting (25% of energy needs on fast days; 125% of energy needs on alternating “feast days”)"

So they literally lose similar amounts without restricting calories.

true I/F cutting would be fasting AND restricting calories which would mean it would be more effective than just caloric restriction.

bump

anyone?

there are many different ways, you could do 20/4, 16/8, alternate day fasting. whatever fits into your life style. generally 12/12 would be the LEAST i would recommend since glycogen is depleted from the liver after 12 hours of fasting

but doesn't that depend on the person, e.g. maybe it's 14 hours for me?

do you maybe have a source?

>Where does it say that
In the article, don't tell me that you just read the abstract?
>Without restricting calories
It says isocaloric

IF makes it more tolerable being on a significant caloric deficit, that is the main thing. calories in calories out still remains the king. from personal experience i can say that it def helped to lose weight, i went from 92 kg to 82 kg in little more than a month while making significant gains in hym

>What do your meals look like?
8oz of beef 80/20
4oz of chicken breast
20oz of cottage cheese
16oz of spinach
4-6oz of broccoli
1 Tablespoon of croutons
3 scoops of whey

That's what I've been eating pretty much every single day. I also mix jello with cottage cheese to make it taste sweeter.

All of the measurements were estimated the best I could without a food scale.

Not that guy but go look in the archive. The last IF thread had a shitload of info and graphs in it. No im not going to spoon feed it to you go find it yourself.

link to that thread would be appreciated.

bump

anyone?

nigger go find it i already told you. Dont you know how to sue the damn archive?

no, i don't.
never used it.
how would i search for it?

It's slightly better than a meme, slightly worse than broscience

this is insane
click archive
ctrl+f
IF or Intermittent fasting
come back here and post the info for all to enjoy
I beleive in you fat boy dont fail me

there is no archive link anywhere on this page?

Ive done it for the past year lately ive been eating like shit Im getting back into eating good again but when I did it plus ate good

I sleep better which is hard for me

Had better lifts while fasted even though I crapped out I put up higher numbers

Could see weekly fat loss in mirror alot less flab

Dropped my blood glucose,cholesterol and blood pressure was perfect

I do believe it is better for overall health there is alot of evidence.

Dropping carbs does help alot to for fat loss but dropping to much can hurt progress.When I did keto I was only eating 10 grams of carbs now then I was able to get up to 50 grams and still be in keto I also put all carbs post workout

Can anyone redpill me on the warrior diet?

wtf
Is this bait? Dude is this your first time on 4 chan???

been on Veeky Forums for years.
just never used the archive.

Its the same on all boards you baiter.

i only go on Veeky Forums, so i wouldnt know about other boards.
thanks for the link, but i really still dont know how to search the archive.
ctrl+f "archive" only shows posts mentioning it, no link or button.

jesus ok you click catalog then click archive

oh, that's pretty easy, thanks.
never used the catalog before, looks cool.

I use it as an easy way to reduce my calories but I never noticed anything really magical about it. It is a great and simple strategy if you want to cut but at the end of the day you still need to adhere to your TDEE.

welcome to the club, user

>20oz of cottage cheese in 1 sitting
i love cottage cheese but jesus christ dude

is fasting a good idea for me if I go to gym right after breakfast in the morning?

I mean if I start fasting I'd have to wake up, go to the gym without breakfast and wait until later in the day until I can drink my protein shake, too.

Ive been doing it for about two months OP. I would do it with garcina cambogia 30 mins before eating. I started at 186. I am now 172

are you a fatass or a skelly?

Cottage cheese is amazing.
They got so much of it in my chow hall, and not a lot of people touch it

prison?

No dude military

no shit i was joking.
Branch?
If you say AF go kill yourself

AF Reserves
fight me faggot

hahahahah omg dude
Not only are you in the AF which is bad enough but youre a pussy reservist as well?
How the fuck do you even look at yourself in the mirror dude?

This dude isn't me. I don't know what he's on about.

Corpsman for 2nd marine division. In shitty old Lejeune. You in the service as well?

word, what do you do in the marines, I dont have all the MOSs memorized.
Out now, starting uni in the fall with that sweet Gi Bill. Was Navy at 32nd street san diego senpai. did my 2 deployments and got out.

Navy 8404. FMF Corpsman. Originally had a contract to go to BRC during field med, but I dropped myself. The fear of not being a good recon doc to those marines got to me, and even though I physically qualified, I didn't feel like I was good enough.

So now I'm stuck with Tanks skating and occasionally seeing some dude with lower back or knee problems.

How was it getting out? Honestly kind of looking forward to that individual freedom again senpai

Nice image. 600 x 480. That is full screen on my Apple II personal computer. I hear Brazil is a wonderful diverse place, why don't you go their on your vacation.

>Navy 8404. FMF Corpsman
Nice
>BRC
Whats that? is that like SARC?
>getting out
What do you want to know?
The process was annoying but once it was done i was completely home free. Try and save up leave to sell back for a nice bonus when you get out.

I cant read shit in your info graphic. Kys

Yep, SARC. The community is seriously small and tight, it's insane.

>What do you want to know?
Lol I just want to vicariously feel the same feels you did when you got out. What was your rate and how long were you in for?

OS2 when i got out. Only in for 4 senpai. It was so anti-climactic but it felt amazing.
My ship was finishing out 7month deployement and i flew out of guam and the very end of it to head back a few weeks early to start my medical shit to get out and attend taps class. I was at tpu for like 3 weeks i beleive. Anyway it was chill as hell and it was the skatest 3 weeks of my life. Anyway the morning of my out-process was my appointment. I had no disability and wasnt claiming shit so all i did was meet a doc and get a signature. Then walked over to this small random ass building that had a bunch of civilians in it. Some philipino and me went over my paperwork, he had me sign a few things then say ok youre out. I was like wow seriously? And he said ya youre good to go and that was literally it. I mean i didnt expect a ceremony or anything but it was so weird for it to be so casual and easy. Anyway i flew out later that night and that was it.

It's legit. IF does the following:

-Gives your digestive system a break and time to heal from all the nonsense you consume.
-Promotes autophagy where your body eats it's old and worn out cells, especially immune cells.
-Has a protein sparring effect if you have enough protein and stay lower carb.
- Great for overall health and weight loss.
-Boosts HGH by like 1000%.
-A lot of other good shit.

If you do IF, I recommend high (healthy) fat, medium protein, low carb.

Why has IF become the new fad for low carb bro sciencers?

Low carb is bullshit, stop acting like otherwise.

IF for weight loss is probably just as good as anything but the real utility of IF is you're a faggot

I guess they advocate it so people will stay away from sugary shit.

>science vs this mens health faggot
Kek

I started it this week, but Im finding i get this huge burst of energy at midnight and then again at like 3am. Ive been getting up and doing stuff whch is great and all but Im wondering if you or anyone else experienced this sudden energy burst at night?

As a big ol' lardass, I find IF to help alot. It's much easier to say "I'm not eating yet," than to say, "Oh, I can eat, but only so much." When you're getting all your calories for the day in a much smaller window, you feel less deprived overall, or at least that's how it feels personally.

Because all of these diets keep people away from sugar which is a good thing

You don't have to be nice here, you faggot.

Nobody's going to give you upboats.

This meal made me laugh, but good job m8. Looks pretty healthy, you're looking great. Do you train fasted or take BCAAs or anything?

I would like to find the original infographic in OP. I could only find this one.

This happens when you fast for 48-72 hours, not when you fast for 16 hours.

16 hours won't even get your insulin to baseline, which is what this whole metabolic change is predicated upon.

But yes, proper fasting is beneficial, but again that's not 16-18 hour fasting, you'll need to go over 24 hours to net the benefits.

Yes 48-72 hour fasts will:

Boost GH significantly (a product of metabolic changes designed to spare muscle as the body switches to a primary ketone based metabolism).

Restore insulin sensitivity (self-explanatory, in the absence of glucose the insulin will drop)

Promote autophagy (total immune system recycling & remodelling begins after 72 hours).

Begin catabolising plaque deposits in vasculature (i.e. start breaking down atherosclerosis which contributes to CAD)

Temporarily removes the systemic inflammation that comes from eating.

Intriguingly, fasting seems to avoid the BMR suppression that typically comes from dieting

If you wanted to characterise it simply: fasting induces consolidation as opposed to a postabsorptive states proliferation.

There's also fluffy stuff that has some foundation but needs to be substantiated: e.g. neurogenesis, stem cell renewal, it's telomere protective properties. But yeah, remains unforeseen.

OP here. (To all the anons who were asking for a higher res image of the one in the OP, that was all I could find)
Do you have any studies that talk about fasting for 48-72 hours? I'm doing 16/8 today, and I'm an 80 kg, 26% bf fatass. My whole diet up to this point was low-carb (only carb I ate was the slow-acting kind), no dairy, no fruits, high-protein, only source of fat was olive oil, and a binge day per week. I dropped from 100 kg to 80 kg in, I'm guessing about a bit more than 2 years, and I'm not satisfied at all.

Should I do 48-72 fasting while keeping my mode of eating as it is, or perhaps change it? Oh, and I've been walking an hour a day lately, should I stop when fasting?

You'll result int he same weightloss as from CICO but it's just an appetite control mechanism.
If you like large meals then IF might be for you.

CICO was a part of what I was doing this whole, but I stagnated, and thought IF might help. Appetite control is nothing to me since I don't have much of an appetite, sometimes I forget to eat throughout the day, which is why I thought I could do IF easily.

How long have you been stagnate?
Could be a simple plateau, usually last max a month, take measurements with a tape measure to see actual progress.
If it's longer than a month your CICO is fucked. check you're using the right TDEE and what you're eating

I don't remember honestly, the diet kinda became natural to me and I lost track, I'm not sure how long I've been stagnating, but I'm 100% it's more than one month, maybe three or so. I keep track of my calories and TDEE, the only answer I got on Veeky Forums was that I'm not keeping track (which I 100% are, I have a kitchen scale), or that I'm defying the laws of physics. So I thought "fuck it, I'll do IF, let's see if it'll work".

If you've been stagnant for longer than 1 month your eating is off.
recalculate your tdee, use MFP, and make sure you weigh and log everything.
Start logging your weigh ins and measurements, there's a couple different different apps such as happy scales or libra depending on your phone brand.

There is also some medical conditions that would result in extended plateaus, but there's extremely rare.

Do you have a non-emo, not for ants version of this picture?

I calculate my TDEE periodically. I don't use MFP since I calculate my calories from nutrition labels and the portion size measurements from the kitchen scale. This is what's frustrating me. Honest to God, my eating has not changed at all and I'm still keeping track, and I do have a log. I weigh in on the morning of my weekly binge days on an empty stomach, and have 2 or 3 cups of coffee to flush my intestines out as much as I could, and I also measure bone mass% (currently 8.5%. Yeah, my bone mass is shit), water weight% (currently 54 - 53.8%), and body fat% (currently 26.0%).

I have been told that also.

So, since it's not working, and no one's sure why, I'm gonna do IF and hope it gets me back on track.

That's all I could find, user.

The one posted is almost identical though.

This guy gets it

....you have a weekly binge day?
How much are we talking here? because a binge can easily erase a weeks worth of progress.

Yeah just scrolled down to the bigger infographic, thanks for starting the thread.

Like 2500 calories, since I only eat 700 - 850 calories per day or so. Maybe even less on average.

I know exactly what you're gonna say. "It doesn't add up. You're bullshitting or doing something wrong", it's far more frustrating for me than it is puzzling for anyone, so I wanna ditch whatever I'm doing right now and start fresh.

Then start fresh.
Recalculate your TDEE, download MFP, eat at a 500cal deficit, weigh all your food, and no more bingeing.

Weigh yourself either weekly or daily, up to you just depends on how your brain works, take measurements once a week, usually stuff like thighs, bicep, waist, neck, and log it all down with dates.

As far as treats go, you can choose either moderation or nothing at all. Moderation is for people who has to have a treat every now and then otherwise they cave and binge. Nothing at all is for people who can't stop at just one.

i get the feeling the foods you are eating in general probably aren't fantastic but that should resolve itself as you're forced to find less calorie dense food.

Take baby steps as well, no need to make insane changes right away
Good luck user

Thats kinda the point. It is why CICO fails for long term fat loss/maintenance. Your hunger/urge to eat food increases plus your metabolism plummets, this is why theres no the biggest loser reunion because most of them became fat again

(the only thing you mentioned which I haven't been doing is tape measurements and cutting off binges)

For fuck's sake I should have known it was a bunch of memery.

As for what I've been eating, it's all healthy shit, zero junk, just meat, fish, chicken, some legumes (specifically kidney beans and lentils) and veggies.

But anyway, I already started IF, I'll see if it'll work. Do you have any recommendations regarding 16/8 VS 48 hours?

(Oh, and thanks, man)

Gonna start a 24 hour fast today. I ate a protein shake plus a big sweet potato before my fast and my god my stomach is so full. Cant wait for tomorrow so I can lift then eat

huh?
so it's not CICO that fails people, people fail CICO by over eating.
You eat at a deficit until you hit your goal weight, and then eat maintenance which is what any consistence weight person is doing.
what's there to fuck up.