What does Veeky Forums think of the over-head press? I rarely ever see anyone doing them

What does Veeky Forums think of the over-head press? I rarely ever see anyone doing them.

Other urls found in this thread:

strongerbyscience.com/lats-bench-press-much-ado-little/
youtu.be/3bKQJXjkb6A
youtube.com/watch?v=Nx1ytBh6kgU
youtube.com/watch?v=OepRR_02q3g
youtube.com/watch?v=jCfcGei-NqM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>don't do overhead press it damages your shoulders bro. just do lateral raises like me

I love it. Really enjoy hitting PRs on it.

The reason you rarely see people doing it is because the average gymbro gets insecure having anything less than a big boy 20kg plate on each side of the bar.
Having to press what looks lightweight hurts their ego.

Vid is a recent PR of 1pl8 x12 I got.

They're by far my favourite exercise. If I didn't have to worry about over training I'd do them every single day.

hahaha fuuuck

My favorite lift so far. My goal is to get 1pl8 before august comer.

At my gym, most guys do it, but low weights (30kg or so), high reps, shitty form (mostly behind the neck while overextending the back).

but who was delt?

I do it but very low weight, 95 lbs max for 5 reps. Feels like shit but it works my shoulders great along with lateral and front raises.

>igh reps, shitty form (mostly behind the neck while overextending the back).

This.
Legs staggered, bench press grip width, leaning back.

They basically turn it into a standing incline bench press.

But they have their belt (or as I've heard it called; "back brace") on so its all good!

good lift for front delts.

snatch grip behind the neck (or klokov for you redditors) is god tier and about the most alpha lift you can ever hope to perform though.

how can you lift that when the room is tilted like that?

it's like the best lift to make you look bigger, but yeah most people avoid it because they're a bunch of pussies

I live near the equator.

It's a good ab and lower back exercise that's about it

Agreed, I do some sets as back off from ohp.
However the bad form is kind like pic related, ie road to lumbar spondylolisthesis, due to weak abs glutes and shit.

Love doing OHP. Moved on to do it in a seated way because it just feels better while killing leg dive/arching back. Also changed it in as my main movement instead of bench.

Currently somewhat stuck at 62,5kg for five reps but I love it, but I only have seen five other dudes do it in 2 years.

how the fuck can your abs be weaker than your front delt lmao

I enjoy them but I hate how slow I progress on them. When I started SS with just the bar I stalled at 60x5, 90x5, 115x5, and now I'm stuck trying to hit 140x5 for like 6 weeks.

Don't be so weak I hit 205 for 10 reps and ive been lifting for 3 weeks, youre probably a pathetic lanklet though and will never be strong

Gotta get a grip son I could OHP 544 for 40 reps the second time I went to the gym

I'm literally the only one doing them at my commercial gym

So weird

Make sure to push your head forward between your arms, and lift with your upper back. I plateaued for a while until I learned how to press using my back, and now my upper back/lats get more sore than my delts after heavy ohp

lats hardly do anything in presses.

Am I the only one who thinks this guy looks good?

fuark

he's good but he has a narrow frame and small shoulders

i do them with dumbells because i dont like having to tilt my head back to let the bar pass. Currently @17kg (12-10-8-max) because im a weakling.
It feels way better than the sitting bersion though.

oh sweet summer child.

that guy's grip is too wide

they really don't mate.
it's the same bullshit for the bench press.
lats pretty much do nothing in either.

greg nuckols wrote a nice article about it, so i can link that instead of trying to explain anatomy to dumb people:
strongerbyscience.com/lats-bench-press-much-ado-little/

OHP is a compound lift. Shoulders are complicated compound joints involving a lot of muscles. People break OHP plateaus all the time not doing anything related to their delts.

Over head shrugs, push ups, and pull overs are really nice assistance to any overhead pressing and to shoulder health. They train muscles that are involved in shoulder stabilization and rotation, ensuring you don't snap your shit up and have a strong base to 'push' from.

Its very possible people hit plateaus because their stabilizers and rotators are shite.

I started doing them mid workout and my press has gone up substantially.
I don't do them as my main shoulder lift unless I can't get a seat.
They make me feel badass as I do them which is worth it I guess.
A little ego boost can't hurt.

appraoching 1pl8, 10lb away

the most amazing lift, and I like OHP days even more because I do weighted chins that day too

dude at my work seems to think every guy can hit 1 pl8 ohp without lifting.. and yet I rarely ever see anyone hit it for reps at my gym.. I got 145 today for a double and thats the best ive done in 6 months... am I weak?

confirming
>OHP plateau'd pretty hard
>strengthened core with concentration for a few weeks
>blew threw plateau like nothing

yep, completely agree.
pec major, pec minor, traps (upper, middle and lower), serratus anterior, rc muscles, rear delts, teres major all help stabilize.
lats are just not much involved in ohp.

Fav lift dispite how slow the progression can be be.

Nah I wouldn't say so, it's more than you'd see most people doing in the gym. Keep working on it though!

Did you go to concentration camp?

Yes

I enjoy The Press

I can't fucking do them because of shitty genetics that make me literally unable to lift arms that high

Can't do chins/pulls or facepulls either.
All you people with perfect genetics should be happy.

tried improving thoracic and scapular mobility?

Somebody shop him with impressive delts so we can see the true difference. Keke

Klokov presses are fucking amazing for building the back and middle delt. But i just use it as an accessory. Always like calling it klokov presses even though theyre snatch presses or behind the neck presses. Kind of like Lu Raises

How do you guys manage these without fucking up your back?
Usually in my last couple reps I end up leaning backwards and it hurts

squeeze ass and core.
stop when you notice you're leaning back.

clench your abs and glutes

god tier lift. probably the best lift for raw upper body strength

1. How much weight are you trying to add?
2. Are you using your hips to start and getting under the bar during the drive?

and stabilizer integration. I broke through a plateau when I learned how important
glute and core tightness are to the stability of your upper body.

Dude has never actually lifted. It takes most people quite a while to get to 1pl8, especially if they don't realise that you need to load by very small amounts after a certain point to make reliable progress at all. 145lbs ain't great for 6 months, but you're still stronger than 90% of the population.

it's not mobility issue, my left collarbone dislocates from sternum when i do it.

i wish it was fixable. It's not.

What do people think about the push press? I only do strict OHP and never would have thought to do push press, but I saw it is one of the lifts on Symmetric Strength and it aroused my interest (not least because I am shit at OHP).

>hit 1pl8 about 3 months ago for a tripple
>time to cut
>loses strength, now can barely do it for a single

decent for breaking plateaus, avoid otherwise.

This. Its my favourite excercise, but i heard recently that it fucks up your rotator cuff and i already have a slight impingement in both shoulders. I dont want to leave it out.

if you do it correctly and you do other shoulder exercises as well, it probably won't fuck your rc.

Same. I've only seen one other person do them minus me in the past year. Maybe 1-2 do the seated version.

It's my favorite after the squat. Great lift, feels amazing.

Have you tried a staple gun and a wood shim?

Thanks, thats good to hear, i always do put a lot of emphasis on warming up my shoulders on chest and shoulder days.

John Broz and Glenn Pendlay endorse push pressing. I also like the concept behind them. The fact that you need to push fast to get the weight up increases motor unit recruitment over a static strict press. Also the utilizing leg drive on the concentric means you're overloading the eccentric, a huge bonus. Not many exercises have mechanics that good. Definitely push press over conventional.
And wehn I do conventional, I kind of sit on the edge of a 30" plyo box. That way I can counterbalance the weight with my feet and don't have to hyperextend to keep my center of gravity below me if I start leaning back to finish a rep.

How do you not get Injured when doing them? I kinda hurt my shoulder (one area on the lowest part of the center of the shoulder) hurts when you press down on it, It doesnt hurt that much though. Did I get Injured because I sat at a desk for 10 hours before I lifted?

If your gym has a barbell like this I'd suggest trying that too. Try landmine presses too the bar path is way easier on the shoulders there.

Most people.just do.dumbell presses

This meme needs to die - the 'danger lift' rep the press has is totally undeserved. No risk of rotator cuff injury with a correctly performed press as it's the anatomically correct ROM for the joints and muscles involved. The only way you could is if you missed a rep with a weight that was way too heavy for you to even be attempting to begin with. You're much more likely to fuck up your rotator cuff benching, but again only if you go out of your way to do it incorrectly.

Nigga what the fuck are you even talking about?

Did 155x3 yesterday
The key is to switch all your pressing to close grip, it just makes your triceps and pressing strength skyrocket
Close grip bench (shoulder width) is wayyy better for overall strength and size then gripping it wider.

Thanks. Think I will give it a go tomorrow just for a bit of a change.
>>Also the utilizing leg drive on the concentric means you're overloading the eccentric, a huge bonus.
Excellent point. I hadn't considered that.

seems like i got memed on by those two faggy physical therapy fags on youtube.

>tfw doing OH press and some guy racks up next to me slightly more weight and does push press to try and prove he's stronger
reeee

>The fact that you need to push fast to get the weight up increases motor unit recruitment over a static strict press.
No, it doesn't.

Push press is good for variety and for oly lifters that need strength mainly around lockout.
For most people, conventional is better.

which ones?
link to video?

there are legitimate reasons to avoid ohp.

The idea that the press is bad for your shoulders has been around for years. There's no good reason for it. I think it probably has something to do with the fact that the press was eliminated from the Olympics in 1972 under fairly controversial circumstances and people hit upon the idea of it being dangerous as a just so story. But if you actually look at the mechanics of the lift and the anatomy of the shoulders, it really doesn't stack up at all. Not to mention, shoulder injuries were extremely uncommon in Olympic weightlifting prior to 1972 and still are, and the entire sport is literally based around shoving heavy weights overhead.

OHP is great for strength and will improve your bench. It´s absolute garbage for building shoulders though.

What's your push press to OHP ratio lads? I'm at 93.5 kg PP 75 kg OHP, so ~1.25

klokov has a 225 kg PP and 162 kg strict press, bringing him close to 1.4, which is low for an olympic lifter (due to klokov being one of the best strict pressers in the game)

Bob and brad nigguh
youtu.be/3bKQJXjkb6A

overdeveloped front delts are a common cause for shoulder injuries.
ohp contributes to that.
morphology also excludes some people from pressing weight overhead safely.

won't improve your bench, unless you have really weak front delts (almost nobody does).
ohp is great for building front delts.
shit for lateral and rear delts, i'll agree.

Yeah I only learned that while watching the last Olympics that any kind of push pressing is strictly forbidden, I didn't realise.

thats awesome, i can only do 1pl8 for 3 maybe 4 if i push press

most of what they say is correct.

i'd still recommend ohp to most people though.
single arm landmine presses are a good (safer and easier) alternative.

youtube.com/watch?v=Nx1ytBh6kgU

can you compete with these slavs?

What's everyone's opinion on how rippetoe teaches the OHP now? It feels a cunt hair away from being a push press. Should I be doing them this way or lower the weight a little bit and try to be more strict with my entire body?

No it doesn't. Pressing actually balances the development of the deltoids. BENCHING can cause overdeveloped front delts and a predisposition to shoulder injuries - which is exactly why shoulder injuries are so common amongst competitive powerlifters. And yes morphology excludes some people but those people likely already know who they are because they're already fucked to begin with.

I like doing them, but every time I do a set I get an irrational fear that I am going to lose my grip and the bar will fall and crack my head open.

there's a vid of klokov doing 163kg even.

Overhead pressing doesn't balance development of the delts at all.
Activity of lateral delt is about half of front delt, while the rear delt is hardly activated at all.
Benching can cause overdeveloped front delts, yeah, but not nearly as severe as ohp, because it's mainly a pec and triceps exercise.

nvm just found 165 kg youtube.com/watch?v=OepRR_02q3g

and I heard once that 170 is his all time best

the best presser around his weight atm iirc

It isn't a push press because there's no ground reaction from a bend in the knees. Try push pressing properly after you've learned the press - you'll find they work in completely different ways. He teaches them that way for 2 reasons:

1. It fixes a bar path problem commonly encountered by people trying to press 'strict' - failure to get under the bar after it passes the eyes, leading to a need for excessive layback to get the bar back over the mid-foot balance. Using the hips correctly more or less forces you to get under the bar in the second part of the movement, which helps keep the bar going in a straight line.
2. It allows the entire body to contribute to the lift and get stronger as a result.

Earlier SS editions actually taught the 'strict' version of the lift but they moved away from it after studying the technique used by Olympic lifters in the late 60s/early 70s.

Thanks dawg, i will give that landmine press a go next time.

Yeah I'm doing them the way he's currently teaching them. I feel like it's allowing me to lift more than I should be though. Maybe I'm subconsciously turning them into a push press and not realizing it. I feel like I'm locking out my knees and squeezing my quads but I should record a set to see. I also have a habit of creating a moment arm on some reps even when I lean back.

that's the video I meant, yeah.
apparently i forgot the 165kg, very cool!

you can try them the normal way, but this way can feel nice too:
youtube.com/watch?v=jCfcGei-NqM

(the guy, Eric Cressey, is an expert on overhead work for athletes)

On ohp, I keep my ass and core squeezed, and create a slight effective lean back by having hips forward.
I don't use it to move the weight though, like Rippetoe teaches.

>tfw get cramp in my glutes when i tense them

I hope you didn't pay for that degree in broscience, m8, because all it's given you is the ability to spout bullshit. Shoulder injuries as a result of pressing are almost unheard of, whereas shoulder injuries from benching are one of the more common in the weight room.

I like doing it I just hate how slowly its progressing.

stretch and strengthen them then

>Shoulder injuries as a result of pressing are almost unheard of
yeah, because almost nobody does them.
the guys that do them (strongman mostly) have very strong upper backs and rotator cuff muscles from all the other shit they do, so they don't get overdeveloped front delts.

also, benching is pretty much the most popular weightroom exercise, so it's no surprise you'd see people with issues from it.

Been trying to go from 135x5 to 140x5 but keep getting stuck at 3-4 reps. I'm not sure what you mean by 2. I tore my rotator cuff a few years ago, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or if that's just an excuse.

>stretch them
h-how would i go about doing that (no homo)