Pre Diabetes Food Chart

Hello Veeky Forums my dad has been diagnosed with pre diabetes. Does anyone have a comphrensive chart ot food to eat and to avoid? (With pictures)

I know I can easily google it, but the charts I find are eother very basic or contradict each other. I just want something he can refer to when eating or grocery shopping.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3329818/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24910231
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ask your doctor you fucking retard.

>high in fructose good
>high in sugar bad

all fruit sugar is fructose fuckin idiots

is that image trying to trigger me, consider me triggered

do keto and fuck that shit

hes just pre-diabetic, just go on a Super low carb diet and he wont be pre diabetic anymore. Its nothing to worry about if he has dicipline.

Older people tend to get fat.

Just have him do a routine of cardio, and weightlifting.

Diet: Good fats, Meat, Little bit of carbs.

This, you guys are seriously dumb

>Bananas and dates are bad

While fructose is a fruit sugar, I'm concerned if you think that all fruits are just composed only of fructose. Because that's not reality.

Question for any medfags or anyone highly knowledgeable on beetus.

Some people believe that prediabetes IS diabetes and not a separate state.

Also, if you have prediabetes, does that mean you're fucked and you're going to get it even if you're physically active and eat healthy?

Asking for myself since I was recently diagnosed as prediabetes with an A1C of 5.8%

What about low carb, low fat, and low calorie?

no just keep it low carb and hit the gym. combining cardio and weightlifting reduces the risk of diabetes by an absurd amount.

I hear keto can cause insulin resistance based on previous arguments in other threads, but I'm not an expert.

Dates are bad, that is why Veeky Forums never has any.

DONT MAKE HIM DO FUCKING KETO FFS. Diabetes is having too much fat in your bloodstreams and shit that makes it so your body cant absorb the insulin or some shit. Its caused by fatty foods not sugary foods!! Look up whole food plant based diet it is the healthiest diet on the planet and will cure the diabetes in almost all of the cases

Literally just lose weight. That's all you need to do

That's not how it works , when insulin is released it tells adipose tissues to stock up on free fatty acids , but if you make yourself insulin resistant ( by consuming too much carbs ) your adipose won't be able to absorb the fatty acids .

( And you'll end up in keto-acidosis , which is totally different from nutritional ketosis . )

You can reverse diabete & prediabete , lot of people have done it , just go low carb or optimally keto and it'll fix itself .

I know I'm taking care of myself.
But I'm curious about my prognosis.
I'm I going to get full diabetes in the future even if I eat healthy and exercise every day?

I just told you it could be reversed , so no you won't fucking get diabetes if you stop eating shity carbohydrate and let them give you diabetes

Really, you put your grain profits above the life of this poor guy's dad? We're reaching maximum jewry in here

I'm curious because I've been browsing several diabetes forums and a lot of them say that "prediabetes IS diabetes" and that "they're going to progress to full diabetes regardless of what they do".
They're very adamant about it. You can go ahead and look up these forums and search for topics about "prediabetes"

I don't know who to believe...

They say diabete is prediabete because it's a fucking spectrum , it's measured by looking at how fucked up by glucose your hemoglobin is .
"Diabete" and "pre-diabete" are just threshold , but there is no magic happening once you cross it , it's just a way to group people .

You want to reduce free flowing blood sugar , because that shit is a killing poison that fuck up everything in your bloodstream through glycation ( bonding to other molecule ) ,
Your blood sugar is supposed to be used by your cells but to do so they need insulin , the problem is that most people eat way too much sugars ( complex or simple it doesn't matter ) and their cells become insulin resistant and can't use sugar as efficiently and it end up stockpiling in the blood .

You have 2 choice :

Keep eating carbs and become dependent on insulin injection .

Stop eating carbs .

thx doctor user
you sure seem trustworthy with all of your opinions

Those aren't opinion , it's literally how your body biologically work .

Keeping on eating carbs while pre diabetic would be like keeping on using a muscle even through you strained it .

Let it fucking heal and you may go back to your old habit ( minus the thing that failed you ) .

What is your height/weight?

you're an idiot

like said, DKA or diabetic ketoacidosis is due to excess sugar when the body has an insulin resistance (type 2 diabetes). insulin is seen as the "key" for glucose to enter the cell to allow metabolism. when your body builds a tolerance to insulin, you have sugar/glucose in your blood stream, but your body can't use it effectively. it resorts to using glucagon (hormone from the pancreas) to release energy from fat cells (glycogen) so the insulin essentially isn't required. ketones are a by-product of this glycogenolysis

ketosis for weight-loss also produces ketones, but you skip the part where you have a fuckton of sugar in your bloodstream, damaging nerves (neuropathy), damaging kidneys and making you urinate nonstop/become dehydrated which is a legit threat in DKA.

keto is natural and it's expected for humans to enter a state of ketosis. the body handles it fine and performs very well using glycogen stores. oh shit, almost like it's meant to do it

not tryna be a dick but niggas need to read a book

release energy from fat cells (glycogen) so the insulin essentially isn't required. ketones are a by-product of this glycogenolysis

Fat cells release triglycerides not glycogen , and once the fatty acids are removed from the triglycerides they go through ketogenesis .

Glycogen store are mainly fueled by carbs & protein , not by fat

LUL

They're not really nutrient / calories dense desu senpai , and they have shit macro .

>They say diabete is prediabete because it's a fucking spectrum
It's funny how those same forums I mentioned said "you're either diabetic or you're not. Just like how you're either pregnant or you're not."

the International Diabetes Federation (IDF), and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) recommended that a threshold of ≥ 48 mmol/mol (≥ 6.5 DCCT %) should be used to diagnose diabetes.[48] This recommendation was adopted by the American Diabetes Association in 2010

People on forum aren't fucking doctors , their opinion is worth jack shit , having diabete don't give you any knowledge on diabete , especially is you're dumb enough to get diabete in the first place .

from my understanding, they don't know what they're talking about. type 2 diabetes is an insulin resistance, sort of like if you took a bunch of pain meds regularly and have a tolerance. or like how a heroin user uses higher doses to get the same effect

the "heroin" or pain meds in the diabetic case is insulin. it's released after your body notices a high concentration of sugar in your blood stream. if you have too much sugar, too often, your body is constantly pumping insulin, and it grows a tolerance to its own hormone, essentially

it's a spectrum with that understanding. how far along your tolerance is is "how diabetic" you are. I'm sure there's some other criterion doctors use to determine "diabetic" vs "pre-diabetic" and whatnot

They can also use fasting blood glucose but since blood glucose is the shit that produce glycated hemoglobin they always correlate . ( that's why they stopped using it )

my mistake yo, glycogen is in the liver. triglycerides/fatty acids are transported to the liver for ketogenesis and they're all used in ketosis, so I was meaning to skip a step for ease of understanding but worded it poorly

I suppose. I just don't know why they're so adamant about saying there's no such thing.
The things I've read seems like they take it personally when someone mentions prediabtes and say "just like you can't be a little pregnant or pregnant. You're either diabetic or you're not!"

Diet is important too.
It's also best if he's active all the time and try not to sit down too much.

If you have an office job, it's best to stand up every 20 minutes and move around for like 5 minutes

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3329818/

>tfw no cure for beetus

thats a pretty fucking stupid picture

fructose = sugar

..mango is good and banana is bad. What the fuck ?

OP HERE

This thread has gotten way to scientific for my needs. So far the only thing that could be agreed upon between posters is that my dad should eat less sugars and carbs and more plant foods. My dad doesn't even understand what a carb or a starch is, despite my efforts to explain.

I will re-request a comprehensive chart of foods. I need to make him something simple to understand. He's foreign, doesn't believe in/understand science, only went up to 8th grade in 3rd world country, cant read well. I just need a list (with picture preferably of things to eat and not eat)

Doctor here
Ideally, you would want to eat low glycemic index (GI) foods only.
In reality, this will never work because you have to have low willpower to even get prediabetes.
Filling foods, high in protein is what he should be eating. Fibre for diabetes is a meme.
Use pubmed for searching for information. If you go to uni and search through your library you will usually get the full text of articles.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24910231

tell him to cut fatty foods

Hey doctor guy, is pre-diabetes just diabetes or is it a warning state? Also, what is the prognosis with someone with pre-diabetes?

What's wrong with fiber in prediabetes/diabetes?

prediabetes in and of itself has no signs, symptoms or lasting damage- IF you remain prediabetic. It is a blaring siren stating that you are fucking your tolerance to insulin up, and you need to stop
However, the lifestyle choices that cause someone to become prediabetic will turn them into full blown diabetes mellitus type 2.
Lifestyle changes including diet and exercise should be done to stop your dad from having to get his foot amputated and his dick to go limp.
The threat of erectile dysfunction is an extremely good motivator.
BTW, the best way to get him to change is by Motivational interviewing, make a list of pros/cons of both status quo and of changing the diet.

Nothing is wrong specifically. But there is nothing particularly good about it, aside from it being a little satiating

I'm not the OP. I'm actuallySo if I get my blood sugar back to safer levels, will I be cured for good or is it just my prediabetes going into remission? I remember reading a pubmied article saying that some people convert back to normoglycemia or something.
What's the prognosis for prediabetics that take up GOOD lifestyle changes? I hear that 70% prediabetics go on to develop full diabetes; however, they also say that 90% of prediabetics don't know they have it.

But what if his doctor is no good and gives bad information?

Just eat low GI/GL foods, easy. Apples are good, raisins are bad etc etc etc etc

How about you fucking read anything yourself instead of spouting stupid half-knowledge and expecting to get everything spoonfed? I swear people like you deserve to get fucked with here. There are hundreds, maybe even thousands, of studies about how to deal with (pre) diabetes with nutrition/lifestyle changes.

Some of the information out there is contradictory and such.

I'm just asking for a more human approach.

Try have him avoid eating too much meats, especially those high in fats.

Also, get him to start being active. Exercise like cardio and lifting is key.
also this,

Won't eating protein all the time damage his kidneys?

Exact opposite. It cures insulin resistance. High blood glucose leads to high serum insulin, which leads to insulin receptor downregilation. Glucose itself can't just go through cell memberanes like fats can, so they need special proteins to go in and out which are triggered by insulin. Whenever a cell is in a concentrated solution of anything, it'll try to adjust. Lower your insulin by not eating carbohydrates and your body will produce more glucagon and also upregulate insulin receptors.

This is all for type-2 as well.

Not him, but fellow medfag. Not really, at least to my knowledge where I'm at in med school right now. A certified MD might be able to chime in, but I doubt they'll have a different answer. There were studies done on this and it didn't actually do much. The function of the kidney is mostly just to filter small molecules and salts and keep out toxins and drugs. If you have large amounts of undigested proteins, they won't make it back in and the small ones most likely just won't be filtered back into the blood stream and will be expelled. Just drink enough water to keep solute concentration low.

You have two choices ahead of you.
One is you might get better.
The other is you lose your ability to get erect, your eyesight inexorably worsens, you start getting sharp stabbing or burning pains in your limbs 24/7, you eventually start losing limbs and then you die.

If it were me, no matter the probability, I would choose the first option.

>protein
>damaging kidneys
>laughing_renal_consulants.jpg
protein damaging kidneys is a meme

Obviously I'm going to choose to take care of myself.
Still, my only concern is that I'll progress to full Type 2 diabetes even with my best efforts.
I got diagnosed with prediabetes with an A1C of 5.8 this March - Very recent.
I've since started eating healthy every day and exercising every day (cardio and now just started lifting weights again). Hell, even at my office job, I get up EVERY 20 minutes to walk around the hallways for 5 minutes AND I walk during my breaks and lunch.
I've seen lost 30 pounds - I was 230 lbs when I was diagnosed (I'm 28 years old and 6'0'').
Now, I'm at 195 pounds - I lost weight very fast.
Believe me, I'm serious about my health now and angry at myself for not doing this earlier because I've found this healthier lifestyle to be so easy and preferable.
I'm happy that I'm becoming healthy, but I'm scared. I'm scared that I'll become a full diabetic despite my best efforts.

>broscience
Kill yourself.

I'd rather not.

I hear that Kiwis, Apples, and pears are really helpful for maintaining blood sugar since they have fiber, but this guy claims different.

I was prediabetic at 17 due a laziness and a horrible diet (and maybe cause of a big bag of gummies I ate the night before my tests)
Was a scare but I didnt change my diet desu
i got back into lifting and eating right at 19
had my blood checked when I went for psychotherapy at 21 and I was perfectly fine.
in 23 now and hopefully fine but extremely paranoid about sugar and diabetes.

fat causes insulin resistance you abolute mongoloid

there is a cure for type 2 diabetes
its called eating a low fat vegan diet

just kidding. obviously the real cause of diabetes is fruit and grains. it has nothing at all to do with vegetable oil and animal food consumption.

This isn't wrong. Both are extremely high in sugar and bananas get worse the more ripe they are as more sucrose and fructose are created. There's a reason many diabetics use bananas to treat lows

>Some people believe that prediabetes IS diabetes and not a separate state.
Depends on the cause, type and person and a ton of other factors. Some of type 2s (usually stemming from lifestyle habits and being overweight and lacking vitamin D) can reverse the symptoms by simply eating properly. They still have the condition but it's as if they didn't.
After all, type 2 diabetes is simply how your body responds to insulin.

Keep in mind that diabetes is often more down to genetics, race, temperature, hormones, medical mistakes and plenty of other things that mean the above isn't true.

Also a viable option but much harder to do

The opposite

>Diabetes is having too much fat in your bloodstreams and shit
This is so retarded I don't even know how to respond.

While diabetes is more strongly linked to fat than sugar what you've said is simply nonsense.

You'll technically never not have it, but it will be as if you don't

This is correct, see above

The rest of what you've said is spot on but this is bullshit. Diabetics can eat carbs and be healthy. Even easier for type 2. Yes, eating low carb IS more likely to work because it's easier and has less potential for changing sugars, but disregarding carbs entirely is retarded