Starting texas method today

starting texas method today

what should i expect and do you have any tips

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=83nEQAO_U9k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Expect pain and suffering.
TM is hard as fuck.

But, you can also expect strength gains.

m-maybe I should do something else hehe, something comfy and painless

You don't have to be super strict. You can pyramid up in weight on volume day e.g. You don't have to do 5 sets at 90% or whatever. Or maybe to 3 sets instead. Use common sense.

Went from

80 kg bw
SQ: 135x5
BP: 95x5
Deadlift 155x5

To

SQ: 180x3
BP 100x6
DL 170x5

This was from aug to dec. I only deloaded once.

My tips:
- Only bump up VD around every third week
- When VD gets hard, try doing ramping sets
- DO MORE PRESSING: bench needs much more volume that TM suggest. If I were to do it over, I wold add maybe 2 backof sets on ID (maybe 2x10 or 2x5) whatever gives you more volume. Maybe even do a whole nother program for bench. Do not underestimate the amount of pressing you need to do to progress.
- I didn't increase weight on RD for squats more than 5 kg in 4 months. The difference when squatting 105 kg and 120 is staggering after a hard VD. RD needs to be almost stressfree and just go throught the motions. Better to work a little more core than taxing your core with already heavish squats because you are underrecovered
- Eat like a mofo. Im 170 cm, went orm 80 to a little fattish 86 kg. I made serious strength gains that wouldnt be possible without the added food. Im already guessing you are underweight due to you being intermediate.
- Deadlift twicea week. I did relatively heavy pause deadlifts (3x2 150 kg monday and 1x5 170ish friday). You need to ind out how much deadlit you can do without hurting your ID. This takes some practice.

Made very good gains with it.

VM is rough. Squats alone will take like a sweaty hour

Dont listen to this guy, you'll never make it if you start making exceptions, if you changed to it just stick to the plan and leave humanity behind

Thanks for all the tips mate I appreciate it

Although can you explain what you mean by upping vd only around every third week?

I'll try and soldier through
Maybe rest more between sets

Lol I figured it wouldn't be wise to mess with it so early

loling @ that grip, enjoy snap city, cat

If you read the book it literally says that you should adjust the program if you find that 5x5 at 90% is too much.

Can't be that hard at the very beginning?

Mondays are suffering, but the good thing is if you conquer Monday you feel like you've conquered the whole week.

>- Only bump up VD around every third week

This is good advice OP

>Although can you explain what you mean by upping vd only around every third week?

Let's say your 5RM is 320, you would likely do 290x5x5 on volume day. Then you hit 325 as your new 5RM, but instead of going up to 295 the next volume day you might want to just stick with 290 again instead of going up every time you hit a new max.

terrible routine, do a split

TM is one of the shittiest popular routines.

I'd recommend doing anything else.

TM is great if you're in your early 20's, and have the ability to only eat, sleep, and lift. Otherwise TM as written will burn you up good.

Such as

Upper/lower split, PPL split, Sheiko, one of Greg Nuckols free programs, Candito, TSA, HLM, 5/3/1 (reddit user's 2sun variant is okay), etc.

Parto deus

- When ID gets hard, you have to make a choice to chase the 5 again net week or just do 3x2. I never did 3x2 and ALWAYS chased the 5. sometimes I would just do 4 plus 1 heavier single to acclimate to heavier weights and not be intimidated by it next week cause i already have had it on my back
- Get 8 hours of good quality sleep. I cannot stress how important this is since after a couple of weeks, you will suffer on mondays due to volume. Friday will be just as bad but in aother way since you are so mentally focused on getting that PR that you are mentally drained after the SBD. I even slept when commuting to work even if it was 5 mintues. I would close my eyes to get that dere fake sleep. In the metro I would powernap for 15 minutes. That's 40minutes of powernapping when commuting. EAT SLEEP; LIFT REPEAT
- Keep accesories to a minimum (I did upper back for 3x10 mon and fri).
- When staring, keep your 5x5 smooth and fast. Don't underestimate the power of having smooth reps. Dont do 5 sloppy. Get 5 identical since it will have a huge carryover to your ID.
- Use RD to do some extra pressing. Don't expect to PR on bench as much as the other two. Go for some higher volume that allows you to chase rep PR. Try doing sets of 12 and ONLY up it when you get 15. Bench is so different than other lifts because it requires so much attention to programming and exercise selection. there is no secret here other than press MORE with MORE variety than just competition lift
- Don't deload to just deload; sometimes you can jut do a sligt lowering of VD to hit that PR again Friday. Your body will tell you when to deload. If you are beat up on day,still do the squat portion, but leave out the deadlift since the DL is the real recovery jew. Just do some upperback and some light hamstring work and call it a day.

Feel free to ask me anything. Will be monitoring this thread.

The 28 free for bench is really good along with DL. All the squat workouts are too low volume IMO though...

Plg cunts told me sheiko is shittier than tm for intermediate

Might look into the other stuff

I wanted to do candito but I don't have four days a week to spare

Maybe do a whole different routine for the bench?

I do a modified candito for bench. I do the control/hypertrophy template with paused rep on all of them. I also added a fuckton of broseph stuff. Managed to diet down from 87 kg to now 79.7kg today without losing on bench. Even managed a rep PR here and there. Made a huge difference to pause all my reps.

Basically I do sheiko for squats, modified candito for bench and 28 free for DL.

nuckols 3xint is pretty good. Lots of bench with accesorie stuff.

all good plg'ers left the general, there are only shitposters left there.

if you're a college-aged male with good genetics, good sleep, and you eat a ton, there's a decent chance tm will work well.
otherwise, it's shit.

those are kinda advanced for him, he should do TM until it stops working then move to something else

>life is suffering on first 2 weeks of memeko

routines being too advanced and trying to eek out every last drop of progression is some injury-inducing reddit bullshit.

also, those are all intermediate routines, so they're fine.

what are your bw and lifting stats? just curios

please define "intermediate"

the thing is I have only three days a week for lifting and even that is tight, so I can't experiment much

that's why I looked into TM, because it seemed simple enough to track and it was only 3 d per week

I am in college, I sleep well, I could eat a bit better though desu
I sometimes feel pretty exhausted from school, but I guess I'll have to power through that until summer and then hit the gym hard during the break

twink weight desu. around 200lb

ohp 1pl8
dl 290lb
squat around the same as dl
nothing special, but I am not making gains on beginner routines anymore

>I am in college, I sleep well, I could eat a bit better though desu
>I sometimes feel pretty exhausted from school
yeah, don't do TM.
also you forgot "good genetics".
it's really important for TM to work.
if you have a shit frame and thin joints, TM is not gonna work.

How tall are you?

What routine did you follow/are following?

Just do 3xint. for squat and bench. Do the 2xint. for DL. This should give you a nice run. The deadlift portion escially is a dime you can run over and over by just increasing 2.5 kg a month. Lots of DL practice at both light and hard weights.

I think you may have some technical issues since your squat is the same as your DL and you have exhausted your noob gains and that weight.

my bw is nothing because I am a skelly, I am like 6'6'' kek

r-really? I feel like this could be bait, at least partially

also, followed SL5x5 before this

Texas Method only works for squats, it sucks dick for everything else.

>r-really? I feel like this could be bait, at least partially
be my guest, try it out then.
making mistakes is a great way to learn.

literally this

basically this

Depends what your goals are. I would run bench 3x/wk and add a speed day on saturday mornings for clean/snatch/press.

There os some trut to what he is saying. Everyone can make progress on TM. It's just a question of how long and how much are you willing to do the other stuff outside the gym to optimize your results. I did everything in power and and gained significant strength but also got a little chubby. I cannot give you a secret programme to solve all your woes. Everybody has made training mistakes and not made gains. As long as you give it all in all reps and sets and follow some structure in your lifting and take care of stuff outside the gym, you will improve

youtube.com/watch?v=83nEQAO_U9k

alrght, I'll do more research then

might even look into that routine SL5x5 recommends, madcow
I forgot that existed

thoughts about that one?

Just do fucking nuckols. It's a great template. None of that weekly ameriburger "max every week".

can you post the template

these anons all gave good advice
not sure why you're ignoring it...

Alright desu
Will do that one

>mfw they are all me

What the fuck, why are you doing an intermediate program with those weights.

if I were you I would do TM a couple of months then nuckols or sheiko

>type of progression and programming is based on stats

please will this meme die already

I'm not running TM anymore.

This is me nowLost 7 kg and even got stronger. Lost some kgs on squats but that was countered by adding to my DL and BP. Long those kgs on squats were just bad programming from my side though. I still run intermdiate program templates though.

You're right, it's perfectly fine to only increase 5 kg with one more rep on a bench press in FOUR MONTHS as opposed to 2-3 weeks

and this is why I am so confused, everyone is telling me differently ;_;

now I see that i'm probably going to remain an autist and ignore everything and do what I planned initially, that is do TM for a couple of months until school is over and then do candito because I'll have time for it

reee why is lifting to complicated, I wish it were as easy as downloading that beginner spreadsheet

but memes aside, thanks to all of you who gave advice, you're helpful and I will try to follow

Yup. If I were to do if over, I would def add more pressing volume. Always been a bench let. Actually that progress is massive if you spread it outover a year.

4 months is 5 kg + 1 rep
8 months is 10 kg + 2 reps
12 months is 15 + 3 reps.

That is a fuckton on bench press after plates

lifting isn't complicated, dummy.
just do whatever, and if shit doesn't work, switch to something else.

the dumbest thing you can do is run TM for 4 months eventhough it stopped working after the first month.

that's really all there is to it.
do something, keep doing it while it works, switch when it stops working.

friendo, download the 28free from nuckols. google that shit. Run that shit. Watch the video from my last post about Alan Thrall if you are in doubt

You need to YEEHAW between sets for it to work

>I think i have a PR in terms of number of posts in one thread

Mate, run nuckols. Find my post about the intermadiate stuff. Trust me.

Do you realise it is in kg?

No longer able to progress on a linear progression program.