Running Thread

Can we get a running thread?

I'm looking for stretches that I should do before/after running. I have had a lot of tightness in the back of my lower legs. Last run I did I was really struggling

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5Yw1mgZigEg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because this thread already exists:

My ears and temple hurt like shit after a session of running. How to avoid it? It just keeps me from running.

i do a bunch of dynamic before
Front/side leg swings, a bunch of hip rotation stuff. couple bodyweight squats and calf raises too for good measure

static afterwards
hip flexor stuff, quad stuff, hamstring stuff, achilles stretch.
some split work if im feeling it

Do you mean your calves or your hamstrings?

If calves:
>get in push-up position
>pick one foot up and rest on the ankle of the other
>push your body back against that foot, as far as you can
>should feel pain in calves

If hamstrings:
>stand up straight with feet touching
>reach down to touch your toes
also
>same position
>cross one leg in front of the other
>keep both touching the ground
>reach down to your toes
also
>sit down
>spread legs
>lock knees
>reach forward to foot, grab it if you can

Yikes that sounds like shit user, I have no idea. My only suggestions here are gonna be p unhelpful-

Are you eating well during the day?
Are you hydrating well during the day?
Are your electrolytes in balance?

If not, maybe try to fix these. You don't want to be running with s lot of food or water in your stomach, but having a good 700-800 kcal meal ~4 hours before running normally works for me. I drink about 12oz of water/hour for six hours, then for the last hour before I run I only sip a little bit.

Hope this helps!

Do you guys ever worry about wearing out your knees and hips? Currently running over 50 km (31 mile) a week and worrying about how sustainable this is long term.

It's not sustainable. You can get things to prolong your body's limit (new shoes, physical therapy, advanced stretching techniques) but your body will still eventually hit its wall.

Either take full month recovery breaks where you're still eating well, or completely change events. I flip between speedwork in the winter and spring to distancework in the summer and fall, with two week breaks between each season.

That sounds like a good idea. Do you take any particular supplements/food for joints? Any good resources for stretching techniques?

I usually run on "rest days" (days when I don't lift).
Today I lifted then went for a run. Didn't even last 10 minutes (high intensity). Felt like my core was exploding. My legs felt really fine, strangely. Managed to do 300 or so jumps with a rope after that and my body coped well with it.

Don't lift and run, kids.

>tfw running 9km in 45 mins
how shit is that?

it depends alot on the conditions you are runningn and what do you mean by "long term"

if you are running on concrete with bad form and not adequate shoes you'll fuck your shit faster and harder

do you have an over/underbite?

Actually I don't know about supplements. I literally only take Vitamin C... sorry to be unhelpful there.

As for stretches, my best resource has been irl running groups in my city. I know that's not helpful at all though. There's probably some stuff in /r/running sidebar. If there isn't, maybe just google? Make sure you find some dynamic and static stretches to use regularly.

What works for me (and what I've been trained in for Ex degree) is "Doing an exaggerated movement before your run or exercise." Quoted from my professor. Basically stand on one leg, lean against something and make a running motion with the other leg but exaggerated so really long strides. (You don't have to make contact with the ground so just swing) Also I have to stretch my calves or shit will hurt.

3 sets 10 reps each leg for the first pretend run. 3 sets 20 seconds each for calves. As for your back maybe neck stretches will help. GL

There's a pdf of Kit Laughlin's out there for stretching. Try it out.

To put into burger terms that's about an 8 min mile. Yes that is kind of slow but it's all relative to what your goals and physique is like now.

For reference I run about half the distance (5k) in low-17min, but I'm ~65kg and I've been running since the fourth grade ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

>inb4 dumbass isn't replying to multiple anons in one post

I just increased from max of 60km / week to a max of 110km / week. Many of my second daily runs are with walking breaks to assess possible joint pains. Is there another way I can detect injuries early?
My shoes wear evenly, I have a midfoot strike, high cadence and don't usually run hard (maybe 10 strides a week)

who else here
/no stretch/

this
running is extremely natural for out bodies and you don't need to stretch, especially not before a run

100km this week.
/no stretch/

You know what I hate most about running. Its usually agonizing how lonesome it can be. Am I the only one who goes mental gymnastics about shit you literally haven't even thought about in ages which literally rips you a new one making you want to stop? Fuck is up with that

Any good 5-10km training plans that arent couch to 5k? Looking to increase my 4km weighted and 2.4km run times.

i go to the gym 5-6 times a week and try to go jogging every other day.

Every time I work legs though (usually 2 times a week) it becomes impossible to run - my calves become rock solid and start to burn like crazy with all my veins popping out.

I usually try to run through it until I feel like I'm about to collapse.

I can't believe this is a normal issue, it's only a lightish 5k run. What can I do about it Veeky Forums?

Any recs on inexpensive beginning running shoes? Will be in a city.
Only sneaks I own are some hiking shoes and fucking adidas campus.

bout to go out and run 8 miles.

wish me luck famalam

nike boosts. the originals or 2.0s or whichever didn't JUST come out. super good, and only like $60-80 cause the new ones just came out.

Get music or podcasts to listen to.

Personally I'm only just getting into it properly so after about 5-10 mins my brain goes to mush, but I stubbornly keep going, don't care how slow I'm going, even if it is quicker to walk, I keep jogging. Stops those thoughts coming in to my head.

It's kind of the point to me: long runs feel a lot like meditating.

If you don't want to think about anything specific but don't want to space out try running on trails. Requires more focus on where to step and there's nature to distract you.

Knee popped after doing my post run stretches. It hurts only if I bend my leg all the way to my butt. How long do you think I'm out for?

when I can't decide what to listen to while running for 30+ minutes, i just put on some brown/pink noise. Drowns out the city/gym noise, lets my mind wander, and I can hear the rhythm of my breath which is usually masked when listening to music. The fake rain/waterfall/forest sound loops are nice too.

ideally, I'd be running in an isolated field away from all human nature where I can run to the sounds of birds, bugs and wind blowing through the trees.

youtube.com/watch?v=5Yw1mgZigEg

>been running for years
>still get shin splints if I run too often

have you tried insoles?

>tfw ginger, don't have a soul anyway
no, can you recommend some from amazon?