Routinne thread

routinne thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LM8XHLYJoYs
startingstrength.com/resources/forum/mark-rippetoe-q-and-a/8177-kethnaab-rippetoe-workout.html
youtube.com/watch?v=k_Dz8TADiNM
youtube.com/watch?v=GIX-RyorgkQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Deadlifting once per week for a single set of 4-6 is not enough for most people to progress with it past being early intermediates. That said, not terrible, but too much stuff on each day in my opinion.

what do you recommend for deadlifting?

i find that my deadlift progresses even when i dont train it from squats/pullups/rows

A:Squat 5x5, Bench 3x5, Row 5x5, Dumbell bench/Tricep ex

B: ohp 5x5, Deadlift 1x5, front squat 3x8, pull ups, GHR

C: Bench 5x5, Squat 3x5, Row 3x5, Dips 3x5

AxBxCxA...

Doing pic related, feels great. Substituted barbell rows for pausing rack pulls tho.

SMOLOV

Monday:
Bench Press - 5x5
Squat - 3x5
Deficit Deadlifts - 2x5
Hammer Curls - 3x8-12

Wednesday:
Incline Press - 5x5
Front Squats - 3x3
Pendlay Row - 3x5
Lateral Raises - 3x8-12

Friday:
Bench Press - 1x3
Squat - 1x3
Deadlift - 1x3
Reverse Curls - 3x8-12

Bench Press focus is because it's my lagging lift. Overhead press is pound for pound miles ahead of it.

Does anyone have a routine that has 2:1 ratio of pull to push exercises and has more emphasis on posterior chain than quads?

critique welcome

OHP
Light rows
Close grip bench
Bicep accessory

Deadlift
Leg press light
Seated calf raises
Abs accessory

X

Bench
Weighed chin ups
Lateral raises
Tricep accessory

Heavy rows
Leg press moderate
Standing calf raises
Abs accessory

X

I'm a girl trying to get thicc

3x5 Romanian deadlift, then 2x5 conventional Deadlift, then hip thrust 3x7 heavy as fuck. squats 2x6 with conventional Deadlift 3x5 afterwards every other day, it will give you thicc legs without those disgusting cliff hanger quads. Also 300 calve raises, 30 sets of 10, add 5lbs every time on the stand calf raise machine, 15- 1.5 minutes of rest each set. First 100lbs should be easy, rest time will need to increase beyond this.

For a bigger butt, I would place hip thrusts as 1st movement of both days, focusing on linear progression on this lift. I heavily recommend substituting regular squats for box squats, in order to get more glutes and hams involvement.

So it would look like this:

> 3x5 hip thrusts
> 3x5 box squats / 3x5 deadlift
> 3-6x3 ohp
> 3x12 chin-ups / pull-down
> 3x12 cable kickbacks / pull throughs / glute ham raise
> 3x12 hip abductions

Another suggestion would be to dismiss bench and rows as it will mainly add thickness for your torso. Their vertical counterparts are more "compound" and athletic anyway (ohp and chin-ups). All hitting the same muscles...

>I'm just trying to maintain
The post

Do squats before Deadlifts otherwise the glutes will be too fatigued and the quads will overcompensate for the movement which will trains the muscles to coordinate more with quads dominating rather than a nice balance, also, doing hip thrusts after quads will ensure that they receive the majority of the volume.

The way you wrote it is very confusing...
Why does OHP have those weird setxreps?

Also I didn't want to do the hip thrusts with the bar, just with a plate and high reps after the squats or deadlifts.

Right. I was not clear: "/" means either squats or deadlifts, not both the same day.

>Why does OHP have those weird setxreps?
OHP focuses on delts pecs and traps, which are smaller muscles, so more sets fewer reps ensures steadier progress. The 3-6x3 is the Bill Starr method: start with a weight at 3x3, and add sets/reps every session, once you get to do 6x3, you increase the weights. That way you won't stall, which happens frequently when you do 3x5 ohp.

>Also I didn't want to do the hip thrusts with the bar
Well, hip thrusts can handle lots of weight. You could do both 1st high weight/low reps and low weight/high reps, as a workout finisher; it would be even better...

Pic related is my routine. I used to do a modified PPL but I discovered that my body really needs more rest days and a lot of sleep so I switched to this. Still gaining strength and mass but most importantly much better aesthetics.

Well shit I fucking forgot the picture.

My Candito strength/hypertrophy, hows it look.
Also could I cut for the summer on it?

Gonna change some exercises out as I have been doing this for two months now.

Anything you want to say?

What do y'all think of this routine? Planning on doing this for awhile and then moving onto PHUL or Reddit PPL.

5 kg/week lowerbody
2.5 kg/week upper body

I just read that heavy hip thrusts were dangerous and read that high rep plate ones unilaterally were an easy alt.

What should I add for my calves?

I'm doing madcow 5x5 without accessories at the moment, however I'm thinking on doing accessories on rest days.

Any thoughts?

PLEASE critique!
ABxABxx
i bike on rest days
A:
the press 4x5,1-3xF
powercleans 5x5
BB rows 3x12
low bar squat 5x5
accessories, weighted dips and chins 3xF

B:
front squat 5x5
cable rows 3x12
bench 4x5,1-3xF
deadlifts 5x5
same accessories.

dumbell work in my free time, curls, triceps extensions, pressing, incline benching, vertical rows, archer rows, etc

As a med student, I'd say unilateral hip thrusts are way more likely to cause damage (imbalances) than bb hip thrusts done carefully, both at hips and knees. When Bret Contreras says that heavy hip thrusts are bad, he means real heavy such as 600+ lbs. Doing your own bw on hip thrusts is safe, especially if you're a slim girl. Btw, check this video before starting doing hip thrusts: youtube.com/watch?v=LM8XHLYJoYs

>What should I add for my calves?
Calf raises (the one thing smith machines are good for). If you're doing cardio, skipping rope is godly for calves bc it has much higher reps obviously and hits a few smaller muscles.

Found this after a short googling of DB only routines (it's all I have access to atm)

AxBxAxx

Workout A:
Bulgarian split squat or Lunge 3x10
Floor press 3x10
Straight-legged deadlift 3x10
Plank 3xF

Workout B:
Bulgarian split squat or Lunge 3x10
Seated shoulder press 3x10
Standing two-dumbbell bent over row 3x10
Plank 3xF

I've done Starting Strength for 1 month and had some amazing noob gains. But I don't like it. It's too boring and simple.

So what's the best compound/hypertrophy routine that also adds in calisthenics?

SS plus calisthenics...
There's a variation with dips and chin-ups already incorporated into the program (it's endorsed by Rip btw).
> startingstrength.com/resources/forum/mark-rippetoe-q-and-a/8177-kethnaab-rippetoe-workout.html

But if I were you, I'd just throw in lots of push-ups, chin-ups, handstand push-ups and such after each training session...

This look good. How is the frequency? AxBxA, ABxABxx..?

Standard 3-day workout so AxBxA and then BxAxB with rest days. I haven't written it down but I also do HIIT jump rope exercises whenever possible. Nothing insanely crazy and I'm not pushing the extreme limits. Basic and fun exercise that doesn't require a lot of tools to do. I'm a huge fan of keeping things simple with tried and true exercises.

TIME TO GET FUCKING BIGGGGGGGGG

What's your current strength level? Novice, intermediate, advanced...

I've only been lifting for 7 months so I'm not a pro or anything but I'd say intermediate. I started with SS and got annoyed at it so I switched to GSLP and kept on it for 4 months. Then I reached a point where I wanted more so I switched again to PPL and had a fuckton of fun but I quickly realized my body couldn't quite handle the intensity of it. So this is the result.

I'll probably add some hip thrust/glute bridge at some point because who doesn't like a nice ass?

That target advertising

My maintenance routine. A custom variation of PPL meant to be quick and efficient (5 days a week):

>PUSH
Bench press
Overhead press
Dip (weighted)

>PULL
Pendlay row
Yates row
Pullup (weighted)

>LEGS
Deadlift
Squat
Knee raise (weighted)

What do you think lads? All compound, free weights. Just trying to save time. I do everything 4x8 because that's how I like it.

> not doing rack pulls on pull day
Btw I'd place dips 1st, ohp 2nd, bench 3rd on push days.

Why dips first?
I usually alternate between bench/OHP and others

I do 4 different work outs, 3 times a week, alternating every week. Based off starting strength with more back exercises.

A - squats, bent over rows, bench press
B - dead lift, pull ups, OHP
C - squats, pull ups, OHP
D - dead lift, bent over rows, bench press

AxBxAxx
CxDxCxx

is this retarded

3 workouts per week

Day 1: Chest / Biceps
Bench Press 3x5
Dumbbell flies 3x10
Incline press 3x10
Dumbbell curls 3x10
cable curls 3x10

Day 2: Back / triceps
Deadlifts 5-7 sets 1 rep max
Lat Pulldown 3x10
Rear delt machine 3x10
Skullcrushers 3x10

Day 3: Legs / Shoulders
Squats 3x10
Cable high pulls 3x10
Overhead press 2x10, 1x5
Calf raises 3x10
leg curls 3x10
some random hip exercises 3x10

Days 1,2,3
Sit ups 3x20
pushups 45-60, in 3 sets
treadmill >= 10 minutes
Leg raises 3x10
Dips 3x10

>based off starting strength
yes

The load is greatest on bench press and the lightest on the dips. If you start from the heaviest, you're burning off; if you start from the lightest, you're warming-up.

Meant to

forgot to say some ab work (like planking and leglifts) after my weightlifting

>t. memester

have you a good reason to swap the rows/pull ups and bench/OHP like that

well, this takes the cake for stupidest post of the day.

I work out monday wednesday friday and I want to do those in equal amounts.

Also I heard it's best to "pull" before doing "push" exercises.

So I row before benching and do pull ups before OHP.

>Also I heard it's best to "pull" before doing "push" exercises.
i'm not sure who told you this but it's the opposite. the lats and upper back are used far more in the presses than the pressing muscles are used in the pulls. press first.

also don't do that. just do it as is and then you won't be constantly altering the frequency of the lifts you have swapped, there's simply no point in complicating it like that.

My lifts are stalling on a full body program and I want to transition to a ppl or split. Can anyone recommend a program for someone starting out (5 months in). My goals are purely aesthetics. Current 4 rep maxes are 135lb ohp, 200lb bench, 245lb dl (still progressing) 245lb squat (still progressing.

your deadlift probably isn't that good

PHUL is good for getting aesthetic while also increasing strength. you could benefit from being stronger before you start your mass training and PHUL is a good way of doing that.

i got it from Brian Alsruhe

youtube.com/watch?v=k_Dz8TADiNM

he mentions this at 4:00. he does pulls before a push for shoulder health and strength development.

Slow face-pulls are great for this. I do them before heavy presses even if I do no other back that day.

he's one guy with an opinion outside of the general consensus who isn't doing starting strength. listen to rippetoe; he puts presses before pulls so do presses before pulls.

Been lifting with this routine for about 6 months. Would appreciate any criticism or suggestions. Especially for lower body stuff.

squats, 3x5, 2 or 3 times a week. that will probably be enough for legs for quite a while

>he's one guy with an opinion outside of the general consensus who isn't doing starting strength
LOL
Alsruche outlifts any SS COACH. Period.

it seems intuitive that pulling is easier on the body that pushing, but I'll try to find more info on this. thanks.

if you think you are better qualified to program SS than rippetoe, then i'm not going to be able to convince you of anything. do whatever you want.

I'm not doing SS mostly because I don't want to do power cleans. Squatting 3x a week is once too many, I'd rather go for a sprint.

First of all, my arms don't bend that way. Second, I don't want to leap into the air with my barbell when there are alternative exercises.

Good program if you like pushing AMRAP prs

No chest work?

Rate?

Are you trying to get roid arms or something? Because holy shit that's way too much arm work even for a bodybuilder.

What I do most often:
3x a week:
380 push-ups
200 situps
100 pullups
3 sets of db 21s

I do push-ups pretty much everyday, vary hand placement/type. Sometimes I do Archer push-ups, sometimes I do diamond, sometimes standard, sometimes wide, etc.
Sprints are only anaerobic leg workout. Run distance a lot. I have surprisingly been putting on weight with this, and keeping my abs, despite eating like shit. It's pretty fun, I just put music on in my room and workout for a long time, or I'll do push-ups while watching dubbed Dragonball.

What should I remove and add instead?

Okay, final question if you are even here still lol
Is not training my chest a bad thing? I'm not benching and I'm not directing training my abs.

Can someone who actually looks good post a pic of proof and also post their routine?

Looking for a brosplit or PPL

please and thanks

i do 5 of 135,225,315,405, then i do 455 x3 and 495 x1, I have gone up 5lbs a week, and am now at 455 x5, 505x3 and 555x1, with my max being 565, idk but it seems to work for me

that reddit ppl is bad and is lineaqr preogression with an advanced trainign split it just does not work. upper lower much better

How do you cunts deal with only being able to add 1lb of lean muscle a week?

What the fuck is the point of bulking is it a meme

youtube.com/watch?v=GIX-RyorgkQ

>wake up at 6:00
>go for a walk or run 30min
>make brekkies
>diddle around on 4friends while during breakfast and morning stretching
>write software at home/university/work
>listen to lectures or music, Every other day, do bodyweight training while listening.
>spend a few minutes manipulating the market of an online game
>talk with friends, go out or diddle around on 4friends some more
could do with less unproductive online time, but overall this works pretty well for daily structure.

Only one you will ever need.

How do you rate PHAT?

PHAT is honestly a fine workout routine. However it is lacking in some major aspects compared to say 531 for example.

1. Lack clear progression. Very important due to progressive overload.

2. Doesn't tell you how much weight to use.

3. No auto-regulation

Hey guys!
Is a PPL+full body over one week a good routine?
Like PXPLXFX. With cardio on two X days. I tried a PPLPPLX but fucked up my shoulders. Also considering ULXULXX but I feel the upper days are way to intense to perform properly for me.

531 isn't perfect either

1. low frequency main lifts
2. low volume (especially early versions)
3. 9 billion templates written to try and unfuck the program so it actually functions

210 kg at 67 kg bw, its not that heavy but i guess the relative strength is good

Is ICF still relevant? fresh autist here, i know jason blaha is a meathead but is the program good?

Blaha, pls go back to your storage unit

my b homie

Can someone explain to me what concurrent training is? or at least point me in the right direction as to where i can learn about it

eat eggs
around 35 chin ups 22 pushups 35 sit ups
increasingly more reps i do as many as i can
drink 2 scoops of pic related
r8 muh routine

shit

>1. low frequency main lifts
2 x week is low frequency? Shit man, go do smolov or Bulgarian 6 x week squats
>2. low volume (especially early versions)
It is higher volume than TM which this board mostly recommends. Maybe you meant low intensity? Which is not bad as long as you don't compete and there is a clear, structured progress scheme so you don't fuck around
>3. 9 billion templates written to try and unfuck the program so it actually functions
Pretty much everyone does BBB or triumvirate

>Is a PPL+full body over one week a good routine?
>Like PXPLXFX. With cardio on two X days.
Not really because you have very low rest between the L and F days which both have squats
> I tried a PPLPPLX but fucked up my shoulders.
Your injury has probably nothing to do with your program
>Also considering ULXULXX but I feel the upper days are way to intense to perform properly for me
Iktfb
I'm going to give you some suggestions
>PPL 5 days a week
So basically PPLPPxx/LPPLPxx/PLPPLxx/repeat

It's like PPLPPLx, but with more rest

>PPLx
Same as above, PPLPPLx but more rest

>UL & arms
Basically, UL 3 days a week to get more rest than ULxULxx, but an extra arms + cardio session on Saturday
UxLxUAx/LxUxLAx
Don't let it confuse you, the UL rotation has nothing to do with A on Saturday, UL 3x week is the main program and you have an extra day for beach muscles and fat loss

>3x week full body
A
Squats, OHP, chinups
B
Deadlifts, Bench, (chest supported) Rows

I do allpros, you do a 5 week cycle where you raise the amount of reps from 8 to 12 each week, and on week 5 you raise the weight by 10%.
Also do high volume bodyweight and stretch band accessories.
Obviously the numbers in the pic are just an example.

I used to do the regular 5x5 but this seems to work alot better for me, and I enjoy it alot more.
pic related

Wao thanks! A lot! I'll probably go for your first suggestion, I like keeping every Sunday as a totally off day. If I don't I lose track of time.

About the PPL/F, would PXLPXFX work though? Just curious.

5 days a week:

A-Leg-B-Leg-A

A Day
Bench Press 5x5
Bent Over Row 5x5
Shrug 3x8
Tricep Pull down 3x8
DB Curl 3x8

Sometimes throw in some ab work and maybe dips at the end

B Day
OHP 5x5
Bent Over Row (light) 5x5
Close Grip Bench 3x8
DB Curl 3x8
Pull/Chin Ups
Dips
More ab work

>PXLPXFX
I guess
It's just that with a routine like this there is always going to be some sort of imbalance between rest days, no matter how you space them.
In this iteration it is in the PxF part, where you have little rest for the P muscles (pull or push? What is that?)

If you like PPL/F style routines because you feel nice doing them or have been bored of other layouts or because they are comfy, do them. Do anything, commitment and discipline matter more than the program itself

If your requirement is to train 4x week because that's just how much time you have, look into ULxULxx routines or the UL+A I gave you, I believe rest is managed better in those

I can train 7 days a week (at least for now) for about 1h~1h30. It's just that I want to train as efficiently as possible, hence the idea to add a full body to PPL to train every muscle twice in the week. I'll try the PPLPPxx variation.
Thanks again!

Just remember, it's not PPLPPxx ad nauseum, the weeks are rotating ;)
Good luck

Yes yes of course! My legs are already lacking in strength, I don't want to get it worse!