Staying motivated

How do y'all stay motivated? Unfortunately I'm a complete faggot and suffer from crippling depression, I always find myself lifting for a couple months and then giving up. How do y'all stay at it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego_depletion#Criticism)
medium.com/life-hacks-for-business/your-willpower-is-like-a-muscle-pump-it-up-793374c31eae:
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I log all my workouts in a fitness journal because I'm a girly piece of shit and whore up Instagram so my .5 followers keep me motivated and accountable.

That's not a bad idea. Do you just do it in a notebook or a phone app?

>How do y'all stay motivated?
I don't. I just have nothing better to do.

this

see

LIFT FOR GODS.No srs imagine it as divine training and that you are one step closer to be equal of heaven.

I'm not very good with phone apps so I do it in a sketchbook (also keeps me accountable with painting and drawing, trying to hit all my bases lmfao), so it kind of depends on what you can keep handy and what you'll find enjoyment in. I believe writing down and being present helps keep me on track since it's something to look forward to at the end of the day and reflect on my achievements, no matter how big or small. Another key thing is to be patient with yourself and remember even if you fucked up today, you can get back on track tomorrow. Just don't let tomorrow turn into weeks, months, years.

it makes me feel better about myself, Im kind of retarded I think so to me I see it as a game. Everytime I go and can lift a heavier weight than before its like leveling up

Motivation is meme, just force yourself to do it until it becomes habitual

>Motivation is meme
>just force yourself to do it

lmao

this

>I'm a complete faggot and suffer from crippling depression
Just don't be sad, cunt.

On the subject of motivation, forget all about it. Motivation and inspiration are for people that will never make it. If you plan on achieving actual results, you need discipline and commitment. Do you think I WANT to go to the gym when the sky is pissing rain, it's 95° out and I know the gym's AC is broken again. No, but I'm sure as hell gonna do it anyway, because that's what I signed on for when I started lifting.

I think of the girl I lost and all the good times we had together. I'm delusional and think that if I keep it up I might see her again or hear her voice one last time.

Don't be motivated. Motivation only lasts a few days max.
Be dedicated and persistent. Just refuse to stop.

Realistically motivation is not a dependable part of your life. There are always going to be days when you are depressed, hungover, tired, etc. and you simply won't want to workout/do something. That is why we all have will power, it's something that gets trained just like strength. Depend upon the fact that you CAN do something you don't want to rather than the fact that you will do something that you do want to.

>That is why we all have will power, it's something that gets trained just like strength.
this is related to the theory of ego depletion and it's not a particularly credible theory; it's struggled to be replicated (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego_depletion#Criticism)

it's more sensible to try and set up better incentives for yourself: precommitment, arranging to work out with people, reducing the availability of substitutes to working out, etc.

that, and habit formation

OP here you guys are right. I guess I just have to force myself to do it so if you guys see a thread in a few months or a year with the tagline worldof with a picture it's gonna be me showing off my new gains.

I'm not really defending my idea here but the way you linked to my idea of willpower in reference to ego depletion doesn't seem to connect.
"Ego depletion refers to the idea that self-control or willpower draws upon a limited pool of mental resources that can be used up." You then reference this as less then credible but I don't think of will that way, that is how I consider motivation to be. Also there is evidence which suggests both conclusions in your article. To be fair scheduling, groups, and distractions definitely have an impact upon one's need to work out, no doubt. I suppose what you're trying to say that occasionally the will may fail but then what is lost if that is your dependence? One work out? The point is to make yourself do something you don't want to so logically you'll just have to keep pushing.

Okay maybe I am defending my point of view, I just mean to each his own. I just haven't found lifting partners to be dependable in the past, but if that works for you I'm sure that it's more enjoyable and effective. I do schedule and I think I embody a part of my idea of will as a sense of habit.

>this thread again

you wrote that "[willpower is] something that gets trained just like strength"; i assumed you were implying that the will is like a muscle, which is a common trope (e.g. medium.com/life-hacks-for-business/your-willpower-is-like-a-muscle-pump-it-up-793374c31eae: "in many ways, your willpower resembles a muscle: it can get tired from exertion."). this is why i connected it to ego depletion. if the analogy to strength is meant to be much weaker, i.e. that both can be trained but that willpower (unlike strength) needn't be a depletable resource, then there's no connection to ego depletion—but i'm agnostic on whether it can be trained

on ego depletion: you're right that the evidence points in both directions, but i'd err towards doubt. (Andrew Gelman has written a lot on social psychology (e.g. power posing) that would shed light on why.)

& as for what i'm trying to say: if the theory of ego depletion is false, and willpower is not like a muscle and can't be trained, then people have to find other strategies to do what they intend to do but cannot will themselves to do. that's why i suggested precommitment, having other people depend on you doing what you intend, habit formation, etc.; i've no evidence to hand, but they're well-regarded ways of helping to solve that problem