What's a good way to start pull-ups...

What's a good way to start pull-ups? Also I can only do two now but would it be possible with hard work to do 15-20 in 8 months

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ryk_1_WmG28
youtu.be/tB3X4TjTIes
twitter.com/AnonBabble

2 is a good start
8 months is plenty of time to get up to like 50 my dude

same as any other exercise...
work up to 3x5
then add weight incrementally

occassionally do 1xF with bodyweight

15-20 in 8 months is very doable
Theres really a ton of ways to go about it though

you can do sets of 2 and in addition do sets of negatives
you can do sets of 2 then do sets of chinups (easier for most people)
you can grease the groove and do 2 like every hour

on the side you should also do inverted rows (horizontal pullups)

Any workouts or tips?

Greasing the groove is the only way

bruh, if you're talking about just one set, you should be able to pump out 15-20 within a few weeks, assuming your somewhat athletic to start with.

This is complete bullshit. Don't be discouraged, OP. Just work on improving either reps or form each time. You'll know when you do them right.

Weighted pullups with progressive overload is probably the fastest way to increase your regular pull ups
Do more sets with low reps so you have a shit load of volume to train your cns better

start with deficit ones (jump up and lower slowly under control) then progress from there until you can do at least 3 normal pullups. after that start doing GTG method (grease the groove) and you'll be doing 10+ in a month or less

> 8 months

Senpai, you'll be doing 1 armed pinky pull ups with that much prep time

>acquire pull-up bar for place or residence
>place in commonly used area (for you)
>do one pull-up every time you walk by
>be strong as fuck

I can't afford a decent pull up bar for a few weeks, recently moved and it's a while till payday
What makes a good pull-up bar? Why can't I just use a park swing or the like? Is it thickness of the thing you're gripping?

you can use stairs, branches or any bar that you can grip and pull yourself up. thicker the bar the harder it will be on your grip though

So technically a thicker bar would be a better workout rather than worse?

Well you are not looking to train your grip so no!

nr1 pullup tip I got was grip the bar as hard as you can. Something about activating muscle fibers makes it easier.

I can do ten and i have 2 months lifting

Raise your chest and pull it up to the bar. It feels like more of a squeeze of the back and like less of a pull with the arms.

I got a 3/4" galvanized pipe from home depot and hung it from the joists in my basement.

this

you can use a gripper, you don't need a thicker bar.

I've been trying for a month and can only do like 2 negatives, once exhausted I try to achieve some height using stand and try to maintain it without support.
^Is that good enough to improve, or do I need to do something else?

negatives
youtube.com/watch?v=Ryk_1_WmG28

Of course pull ups are easy for ants

There's some good videos on YouTube brother, here's one:

youtu.be/tB3X4TjTIes

Try;

Forced Negatives, usually after you have gone to failure with normal pull-ups.

Work with a partner, cross your legs and bend at the knee while hanging, partner will hold your ankles and help "spot" you up, by pushing up slightly and you can push down against them.
Works a bit like the pull up assist machine.

Progress with Australian Pull-ups and focus on using your traps/shrugging up

Focus on "pushing" your back/lats to the bar, rather than "pulling" yourself up.

Deadhangs

It will come. Practise.

Not OP, but still interested.

My current pull-up ability is stalled in the 20-23 rep range. Anyone have any suggestions for breaking through plateau? I keep cranking them out but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Also it's difficult to be doing them all the time when I'm sore from other upper body stuff. Not sure where to go from this point. I would ideally like to get to the point where I can do one armed pull-ups and muscle ups.

More volume + weighted pull ups

Underrated.jpg 10/10 would laugh again

>move to new place
>no good placement for pull up bar
>there is a good tree branch I can use though
>tears up my grip
>went from doing a 10 max rep to 8 if I really fucking grunt and push

:(

still not bad for being over 6 foot and over 200 though

If you can do 20 pull ups you probably can do a muscle up, half the battle of a muscle up is getting the technique, the day I got my first muscle up I was going sets of 10, it just clicks. but definitely add weighted pull ups in there, I do a couple sets with 90lbs on a Dip belt, a couple sets with 45, then I go to unweighted and all of a sudden they seem so light I can just rack them out.

Keep working user, I'm 6'1 240 and can do sets of 20+ if unweighted. Sets of 5-8 with 90lbs on a belt. Get yourself some gymnastic rings and throw them over the tree branch and use those.

2 is probably the perfect start, what I'd do is take those 2 reps and break them down to 4 sets of 6.

Do something like this: Grab a chair to assist with the initial pull, hang your left leg off it, and go up, then take your leg off the chair and take 3-5 seconds doing a negative. Call that 1 rep. Next, do the same but use your right leg to assist you up. Do 4 reps of this for 4 sets and repeat again in two days. If you do well, add one rep.

Work up to 8 reps, and then drop back to 4, this time do your pull ups unassisted but still do the negatives. Assist your rep with a leg if you need help. Once again add a rep if you complete the sets. Work up to 8 reps before adding 5% of your body weight by chain or plate.

>break them down to 4 sets of 6

4 sets of 4 I mean.

Just remember, long negatives are the best way to progress on most lifts.

Of you're trying to get into the Marines, I went from 6 to 20 in like 4 months, probably could have done it faster desu.

Yeah I was watching some guy doing them at the gym the other day and noticed he was swinging into them, I guess I always thought people just did them from a dead hang or something, but then I'm not sure how to manipulate your wrists into the upright positions coming up from a dead hang.

Yeah I'm not a proponent of kipping but you have to swing just a little, and for me the wrist turn over is all about how exploitative I start the pull up portion, I have to launch with enough force or I can't turn over, I don't know how much help any of this is, I read so much when it was trying to get my first muscle up and nothing seemed to help till they just clicked it off nowhere

(for you)
WAS GETTING CAUGHT PART OF YOUR PLAN?!?

>no one has told you to lose weight

do cardio and diet. a low BF% will make pullups really easy.

I was plateauing at 2 sets of 10 a few weeks ago. I started eating high protein, low carbs, almost no sugar and at a deficit to lose 10lb. did pullups again for the first time in two weeks yesterday and was up to 13, even though I definitely lost some muscle.

you can do more because you're lighter, you won't be stronger, your lats won't be stronger and your arms aren't stronger either so the best way to increase your pull up game is to do more pullups and negatives untill you can do weighted pullups

>you can do more because you're lighter
yes exactly the point I was making. I mean, obviously, ya gotta do more pullups to get stronger, but at the same time, it's great to lose all your fat because it will further increase your rep count.

Bahahahha