Some people are naturally skinny due to metabolism/genetics

>some people are naturally skinny due to metabolism/genetics.

Is this true or a meme?

I am 6'2 220 pounds and in college my Roomate was 5'11 140 pounds. We ate the same diet, same level of activity and he never gained a pound and I gained 30.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12468415
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9164270
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yes, it;s true, but nobody is genetically destined to be 300+ pounds unless they are 7 feet tall or legitimately have a huge thyroid issue

Sure, but everyone ages. They'll still slow down and they'll become fatfucks still in the end if they don't live healthily.

It's true but not to the extent that people think.

Did you and your roommate literally eat the same things in the same portions at the same times? I imagine he was eating less than he let on.

I think the truth is more that people who claim they "can't gain weight" just grew up eating sparsely and have a habit they aren't comfortable breaking. Forcing yourself to overeat feels fucking gross and honestly kind of hurts a bit, I think this is why skeletors tend to resist the idea at first.

it's a meme but it's true

Same things

>cook burgers
>both of us eat 2 burgers and 2 hot dogs

Or we would go to the buffet and he would eat at least double the amount of food I eat.

you have no idea how hard I fight, I cant help I weigh 342 pounds

Kek

While it is true that metabolisms vary, it is likely your roommate has something outside the standard deviation.

I knew a guy in HS like that, he would eat a family bag of Doritos and a pizza from Dominos just about every day. Cpu nerd, only activity was playing Cello: skinny af. Couple years after HS that shit died down and he is the most weirdly shaped fatass now.

Either way, whether or not genetics explains the difference in him and you: that should not be an excuse you use for "slow metabolism shouldn't try" like the fatties looking for an excuse rather than help.

>muh metabolism

metabolism varies by maybe 300 calories for people with the same stats (height, weight, BF%) but for the most part there will never be someone who can "eat whatever they want consequence free".

Most people who use the argument don't realize how much they're actually eating.

I'm a level 20 skeleton that's struggled to gain weight my whole life, so yeah it's true

Variance in natural behavior is more important, but the importance of genetics to behavior is a red pill so big even hardcore /pol/laks frequently choke on it, so you won't hear it often.

have you tried eating food?

I don't know, I'm a skele and I ate like 2.7k calories and now I got a belly.

Previously I just ate like 2 meals a day and that's it. I think some of us just have bad eating habits.

metabolism doesnt vary a significant degree from person to person, certainly not to the degree that would cause that difference between you and your friend

the most likley explanation is that your roomate had diarrhoea and never went to a doctor about it. he wasnt getting anything from the food, just shitting it out. hence no weight gain

either that or he had an ED and was making himself sick

He was Asian. Not sure if it matters but all asians I know are skinny

ED are common amongst gooks t b h. mens fashion in the east is based around skelly lads

>metabolism doesnt vary a significant degree from person to person
citation needed
even a 100 cal per day difference can have a huge impact over a lifetime

I like how everyone is expert on nutrition.

Everyone is different, some people tend to get fat, some people don't.

Get over yourselves.

t. fatty making excuses

no one here is claiming to be an expert. we know the stuff relevant to lifting/fitness, which encompasses manipulating body weight

>this stereotypical aunt facebook high ground comment
lmao

>YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOURE TALKING ABOUT
>EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT
>GET OVER IT

Muscles = high metabolism so skinny people are either active or just young. Fatties have no metabolism but not because of genetics

Myth, ven of you're an outlier your metabolic "advantage" will be a 2-300 kcals. Most people don't realise that the people around them don't eat as much and are more active than they think

>some people tend to get fat

some people tend to eat too much

Yes. But it is not the reason people are fat.

The biggest differences in human metabolism is 10%. Basically if someone with a super high metabolism, and a super low metabolism were to eat the same things, the one with the super high metabolism would burn the calories about 10% faster than the one with the super low metabolism.

So when fat people say, "I'm fat because it's in my genetics. My whole family is fat like me" it's bullshit they tell themselves to avoid the real truth. If you eat healthy and you eat the right portions you will NOT get fat regardless of metabolism.

I actually have hyperthyroidism, I was never fat and possibly never be.

>Forcing yourself to overeat feels fucking gross and honestly kind of hurts a bit

I agree with everthing you said, but this was probably the most important point. It's not a genetic difference in metabolism, but a genetic/epigenetic difference in satiety signals. On top of portions, this includes things like

>Disliking foods that happen to be high calories such as chocolate or fatty meats
>Preferring less sauce/cheese/condiments on their food
>Eating infrequently and preferring not to snack
>Eating *constantly* (grazing) but fairly slowly, on lower calorie filling food that leaves little room for anything substantially caloric

Confounders are of course activity and metabolic issues. I have a friend who 'doesn't exercise' but probably walks at least four miles a day between going back and forth from the bus stop, and walking around her campus. On top of not eating a lot due to low appetite, she's very thin *naturally*.

>ate the exact same things
>together
>all the time

Were you two gay lovers? Or just keep a log of each other's food activities?

You can have a massive fucking TDEE that makes it incredibly difficult

O thats why.

Had Japense roommate and friends in college. To average westerner they were skinny as fuck no matter what they ate. When they returned home for visits their family and friends could instantly tell how much fatter they had gotten.

>Is this true

Nope.

lmao fat fuck

My doctor told me I have fast metabolism and it is twice as hard for me to gain weight

I'm 6'2' and 145 pounds and no matter how much I eat I can't gain shit

Lucky

Interesting. Could be that your roommate was high strung, like having an anxiety disorder or something similar. Of course, people often underestimate the effect that some habits can have on their metabolism.
e.g. staying up later than average, being fidgety, walking further to/from classes like mentioned

or it could just be that you're underestimating your own calorie intake relative to his

How old are you? If you're still growing, that could account for some of your difficulty gaining weight.

More than likely though you're just not eating as much as you think you are, because it's possible for everyone to gain weight if they actually count calories and macros, barring any digestive disorders.

Appetite is genetic, which affects weight. People in my family can't even finish a sandwich. They take a couple bites and aren't hungry anymore.

Some people just have less of an appetite than others. Skinny people who say they eat a lot but can't gain weight simply have no idea what a lot of food is.

Metabolism difference is mostly a meme. It's hormones that contribute to overeating or undereating. Skinny people have slower metabolisms because their bodies don't have to work hard. Fatties have fast metabolisms because their organs are working overtime to keep them alive. That's why super duper fat people can lose several pounds of weight in a matter of days in an initial dieting attempt. The smaller you get, the harder it is to lose weight because your metabolism doesn't have to work its ass off anymore. Skinny people STAY skinny because they don't eat a lot. That's all it is.

Did your roommate have tapeworms?

From what I understand the "naturally skinny" guys tend to forget and twitch more even without realising it. This can add up to an extra few hundred calories a day that they burn every day of their life. No one has different metabolisms that's just what whales like to blame all their problems on

Did you find yourself blaming your roomate for eating your chocolate? Wondering where that last piece of pizza went? You have a sleep-eating disorder. Put a pad lock on your fridge, hide your chocolates, and sleep like the slim bottom boy you've always wanted to be

how tall were they and weight? male/female?

>be me
>start "eating" because dont want to be a bundle of sticks
>reach nice fat mass
>develop GERB
>be skinny again because i obviusly have no idea how to eat

seriously how the fuck do people eat?

>be me
>eat like piggu
>get food coma
>sleep all day because of it (body needs energy to process food consumed)
>but but eat more user...
>basically eat 2 dinners a day, be unproductive and dont accomplish shit because always tired and no energy
>be skinny forever

I cant understand how do people eat, i see people eating same as me but somehow dont have any kind of problems yet here i am fucking my shit up because im a retard i guess

Need help.

I've seen a difference in metabolism in sheep, it affects their weight slightly but it's more likely to have an effect on body composition

lift weights you fucking dumbass

>pic related
eating 3 eggies 10am and wont be able to eat for like next 4-5 hours

Will I Am

kek. You have to slowly increase your intake, dumbass. Start eating 2500 a day at the beginning. once it feels normal, move up to 2800.

s. Formerly 110lbs at 5'11.

where's the after pic

6 months from now

Various. Both male and female and I'd say average height was 5'3 to 5'9. All the Japanese kids at least know each other so it was pretty easy to meet nearly all the ones on campus. But the weight gain was still the same.

yes, but calories in calories out still applies

you need a calorie excess to get fat, but how those excess calories get partitioned and how your body responds to overfeeding in terms of NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis) varies a whole lot from person to person

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12468415
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9164270

tl;dr, people were put on a controlled diet weight gain protocol and some of them gained all the weight they should have, while others barely gained a third and very little of it was fat

I just naturally ate slow as fuck as kid because I talked so much at the dinner table and hardly ate any food and then all the sudden I felt full.

Feels good being an autistic mute now.

Am I your roommate? I've been floating around 150 for 14 years of junk food and binge eating

Don't eat so much fucking protein. Holy fuck.

Protein is super satiating. It's why people who go on cuts up the protein because it means they stay full longer.

Instead of 10 eggs, eat 2 eggs, a bagel, and a bowl of oatmeal

My friend is out of shape, eats unhealthy, never has hit the gym yet he isn't fat. I've seen him eat 24 donuts and drink a 2 liter dr. Pepper for a meal. How can people pull this off? The dude has a office job so I know he isn't burning a lot of calories in his daily life. He also drinks 12 12oz dr peppers a day.

By not doing that every day.

as an eternal skinny i can tell you, he gets mad cravings and then doesnt eat that again for weeks

eternal skinny here, youre spot on.

Honestly if you put me in a room with you, and we ate exactly the same shit for 3 months, maybe i would still eba bit skinnier, but its mostly down to me not actually enjoying the taste of food/ act of eating.

it sucks, i genuinely wonder what its like enjoy food :/

>it sucks
It must be great to be able to treat food as if it's fuel and nothing else.

It's possible to be skinny while eating like a fatass if your body is majorly inefficient at converting the excess calories you eat into stored fat, possibly due to a digestive tract problem or something.

It's impossible to be a fatss if you eat a healthy amount of calories because your body can't store more fat calories than it takes in (>100% efficiency).