What martial arts do you do? Thinking about training in BJJ

What martial arts do you do? Thinking about training in BJJ.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jx58_R_tAAU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Aikido. Pretty cool and Zen, but nothing that makes you a good fighter in an instant. You need years before you can stand your ground against an opponent.

pepper spray no jitsu

Muay thai, and tried out BJJ yesterday. It was actually quite fun.

My muay Thai and BJJ is in sequence though, which is a bit exhausting. Especially considering I try to lift as well.

I do un-traditional taikwondo with a bro teacher.
we cover all sorts of self defense and other martial arts along with some traditional stuff too.
people always ask about what style is the best but i think the school the go to determines the most of your success.

Jiu Jitsu is the most worth while thing I have done in my entire life. 7 years of training and it's still fun.

I'm a very skinny guy (178 cm/60 kg), wanna do bjj, but also want to gain weight in gym. Is it possible with weekly schedule 3 bjj workouts and 2 gym workouts?

MMA with bjj being the focal point. It's a fun waste of time

Bjj is a lot of calistetics so maybe

HEMA

Once you're past the beginner phase (and escape the nerds, autists and neckbeards), and you set your sights on tournaments, you'll be rewarded with an unforgiving martial art where anything goes. Fencing on steroids. Fucking love it.

capoeira.
make those squats worth it

Kali. People think it's just about twirling sticks around. But it's not. It's similar to Krav Maga but I like how they focus on applying weapon based moves even without a weapon at hand.

Aikido is a meme art. Do judo or bjj

i have a jew nose and i'm terrified of getting it destroyed within the first week of training something

should i still go train this summer?

Depending on the school, most of them avoid full contact level sparring(pussies) and at least the ones I've been to it is a courtesy before a round to set any limits as far as no go zones. A lot of them avoid busting your face because that looks bad at work

You get used to it. I got a bloody nose from judo not an hour ago. It's not as fragile as you think.

grappling, the wrestling forms are better like lutra livre, catch-wrestling, sambo.

Iron knucles in the left pocket, retractable baton in the back, spray in the rigth pocket. Bro showed me a few sambo moves. Im easily intimidated.

aikido is not a practical martial art

it's a waste of time

MMA
>Goju Ryu Karate
>Kick boxing
>BJJ
>Submission wrestling
Thinking of doing boxing at a different gym to get better at it

Aikido is the memiest art, aikido practitioners have turned many other borderline arts into full on memes too (former aikido teachers move on to teaching krav maga, wing tsun and even mma with little to no extra training).

Judo and BJJ will give you all the same shit and more, just do them instead. The only place aikido might have the tiniest edge is in falling real good and that's only because some of them work in theatre and film.

Is there any point in starting martial arts if you're still fairly new to lifting, or is it better to get Veeky Forums first and practice flexibility for a while before going for your first class?

add muay thai to that and youre pretty set

Suck it and see. There is no reason you shouldn't get used to the extra stress but it's your call.

I have a cracked knee from landing on a rock parachuting. I cant be on it for more than a few minutes at a time. What style should i try for?

>What martial arts training do you do?
MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program)
And some Karate! Sadly just a brown belt. ;-;

Krav. It's my weekly cardio, more or less, it's like 75% "stun them and run away". It's fun and I can actually win fights (fully protected sparring only, obviously, I'm not going around looking for trouble). I did have to use some of the rescue techniques in real life and they do work, but it's not a very fun experience.

Muy thai

Martial arts at the adult level is pretty much just endurance training. I wouldnt take anons advice about sucking it since that's kinda gay but entry level is entry level and if you're up against someone with some self control then they usually don't mind going easy on you to practice execution of form

Just say no homo.

kyokushinkarate

>Kali
Fuck no. That's a trash tier "martial art"

I Judo

>black belt TKD (stopped when I was 17)
>black belt Judo
>brown belt BJJ
Trained Muay Thai for 8 years, not any more, just do MMA once a week and BJJ 5x week. Also did some western boxing a few years ago.
Out of all those, I'd go BJJ every time. Depresses me that I wasted 11-17 on TKD when I could have been learning something useful.

It's effective enough for Navy Seals, Marines, CIA, FBI and DEA. But sure, whatever man.

>"martial art" that doesn't allow full contact sparring, only a lifeless partner to practice drills on at severely reduced speed
>effective
Also those agencies you mentioned use fucking firearms, what you posted is literally not an argument
Kali doesn't even look cool unlike another useless "martial art", wushu. Kali is a waste of time.

you dont escape the autists. you become one

whats wrong with tkd?

Not him but i guess it's been gameified, like modern fencing.

Kali/eskrima/arnis is the basis for most western baton training now.

The issue I have with HEMA is its legitimacy. It's an attempted revival of a dead art. All the techniques are at best recreations of drawings and dubious at best. I couldn't do HEMA without the thought in the back of my head that we might look like retards to ancient people.

I think TKD has some useful kicks to add to an mma arsenal. Particularly side kicks

why, in mma/k one etc, is it muay thai background fighters who have success and not tkd background guys?

They have more success because its better to practice a martial art that uses striking with all limbs + knees and elbows and includes clinch work as opposed to a martial art that focuses only on one aspect of striking.

There's more than a few guys that have a TKD background but, they don't practice it actively for those same reasons.

you look like retards to modern people senpai

Muay Thai. It feels like a refined version of rooster-fighting. Except you are the Rooster and everyone hates themselves.

>5 years of BJJ
>7 years of Judo
>about a decade of Aikido

Dabbled in others, but lacked the time to stick with them.

Same thing as Karate...
>Watch me kick this faggots ass
>Hi faggot, can you stand in this exact position so I can demonstrate my skills?
Don't get me wrong. My kicking is good because of TKD, but it's a small tool in my arsenal. I don't throw a lot of TKD kicks but, when I do, my opponent is usually surprised by them.
If someone told me they could only do one martial art, I'd recommend BJJ, Sambo, or a Judo school that teaches newaza. Doesn't mean striking arts are shit, but a striker who has no grappling knowledge whatsoever can very easily get fucked up by a BJJ white belt with a few stripes. The opposite is not true in my experience.

Muay Thai, leaning more towards Dutch style instead of traditional though. Ramon Dekkers all day lads

The Issue I have with Karate is its legitimacy. It's an attempted continuation of an old art. All the techniques are at best passed on to someones knowledge based on what their master taught them and drawings and dubious at best. I couldn't do Karate without the thought in the back of my head that we might look like retards to ancient Asians.

Heres something, its called convergent evolution. Their are only so many solutions to a problem and thus the styles become similar. The techniques become increasingly efficient and effective.

Tkd has some good stuff but over all it's a worse kickboxing.

osu. my school does some groundwork every month as well to be more well rounded

>muay Thai and BJJ is in sequence
Dayum son. That's at least 1100 calories right there

>It's an attempted continuation of an old art.
Not the revival of a dead art tho is it.

It still has a lot of shit in most styles straight out of white crane boxing.

Do it right away. It'll help

buttscooting is useless in a streetfight. Learn some striking - mt, boxing or kickboxing. Or even karate.

BETA

I did powerlifting and bjj 3 times a week and maintained weight, counting calories.

Just eat moar

bjj is great for cometition and sportfighting, but in a real fight its no good to be rolling around on the floor with sharp rocks and broken glass everywhere

Where do you do it m8? What are the good clubs???

Hung Ga kung fu
I don't know anything about martial arts. I like kung fu movies so I went with kung fu.

Sentence 2 out of 3.

MCMAP is a meme devil. look into some BJJ

i did it for a while, it felt more like a kind of hobby. did it for a year and learned literally nothing worth remembering

Wrestling, used to do some BJJ on the side because I had a wrestling partner that was really into MMA.

This

Did Sambo for about 6 months in college. Never got to Fedor mode but had a lot of fun

youtu.be/jx58_R_tAAU

MMA guy takes on two (one with bat).

For the most part true, but I'll be damned if that Thai clinch isn't golden against just about any untrained schmoe

Wrestled for 3 years, taking Muay Thai and BJJ for the past half year. Attended a few classes at an MMA gym. I'd say join an MMA gym, I learned alot more from my short time at a nice MMA gym than from my MT and BJJ gyms.

>(and escape the nerds, autists and neckbeards)

Nice try, nerd, but literally nobody except nerds does sword sports.

Holy fuck that's insane.
The best combo is western boxing, sambo and BJJ it's how you can be the most complete elite fighter.

FAKE AND GAY

Lol. Every new UFC superstar would not agree with you. Kicking????????

my entire training in krav for a year was literally kick them in the balls then elbow them in the face

fillipinos suck and kali is trash

twirl some sticks like a fag while i stick my knife into your gut

then rape your ugly brown ass

Striking is definitely important but completely neglecting ground game is ridiculous.

If someone actually knows how to grapple and you know nothing you are just fucked if they get their hands on you. Its better to have some knowledge than to be totally out of place the second they get close to you. Hell, even if they don't have knowledge and they manage to get you to the ground how much is being able to strike going to help you if you don't know how to get them off of you so you can stand back up?

How do you lot fit in your martial arts training with your lifting routines?

Do you do them on the same day, then have your rest days in between?

Or do you do them on alternating days?

Get in my guard bro

what was your program?

Can you give us a rundown of each in your experience?

>Once you're past the beginner phase (and escape the nerds, autists and neckbeards)
iktfb
It's funny so many members stagnate at that point.
They don't lift or train hard, they just larp. They stay skinny fat or obese because "Muh sword is an equaliser..." Motherfucker you're so fat, and don't take this personal, if you tried to teleport behind me half your gut would be on the other side of the room still like some fuckedup Portal shit.
Fuck, you don't even NEED to enter the tournament scene, just have some self respect.
I specifically cross trained Oly fencing + kendo for about 60h each last year and now I'm just wrecking everyone in my club. Doing Judo and Greco-Roman this year so when it comes to Ringen and Amizarre they'll suck at that too.

>tfw you've outgrown your club but can't afford to move to Europa.
JUST

how often does a street fight happen with a) no weapons and b) no friends to sucker punch you and kick you in the head? this logic is retarded

Do you want to be pinned under a guy with a knife more than a guy without a knife? Do you want to be pinned under a guy while another kicks at your head?

How expensive is BJJ usually?

I was paying 85$ a month I think. That was 2 years ago though

3 fiddy.

Depends where you are.

>Thinks it's about sticks
>Idiot doesn't know that it's being applied everywhere now and that it's actively being used in Flipland.

Now you're just being retarded.

I can at least collab on this by saying my cousin was given some training in this on how to defend and the technical behind using it for his job hitting people with a wand when they get uppity during riot situations

Kyokushin karate and judo.

Don't get all the karate bashing honestly

They bash on karate and say kyokushin is the one legit exception

Because today's karate isn't your grandpa's or even your dad's. Too pussified like most current arts that needed to survive in a world where a good chunk of profit comes off teaching pussy kids. My dad's nose is all kinds of fucked and both his pinkies are jacked. I on the other hand or trained under his buddy who became a teacher only lost a tooth

Not all dojo's or teachers are the same user. Kyokushin is a very brute style of karate in many ways. However, during training you should never get seriously injured. Bruises are fine and getting knocked out is rough, but breaking bones or losing teeth is really not supposed to happen. Those kind of injuries are not an indication of how hard your training was. It's just an indication of how inadequate your teacher was.

Fyi I'm a 2nd dan Kyokushin karate and I teach kids.

I don't do Karate but our MA school has a Karate department. They use MMA style gloves and foot things just more padded so they can hit and kick more properly without hurting the other guy too much.

id suggest deadlifting heavy as fuck for bjj, build up that grip strength

>However, during training you should never get seriously injured
>Those kind of injuries are not an indication of how hard your training was

I never said that was an indicator of how well you were trained. I was simply pointing out how pussified the art has become in that training your body is devoid of any actual risk or harm. The level of hurt doesn't matter but when class has to stop because someone got hurt sparring then you're not teaching self defense. My dad's body is jacked because his sensei didn't do his job. Teachers teach, parents coddle

I think that right there was just a good reason for skellies to eat more and lift heavier.

Started out with judo for a about 4 years. I really liked it very similar to wrestling. then i did krav maga for about 2 years it was cool to learn about improvised weapons and how to fight in tight quarters, considering aikido for my next martial art

This.

Anybody got tips?