Gains philosophy

How do you deal with the fact that you never feel satisfied.

No matter how good I look, or how much I lift, I'll never be satisfied. It's not just lifting and fitness, but also things like work, knowledge, money, friends, gf, etc.

And it's not because I'm not good enough for ''them'' but rather because my standards always rise....idk
This really fucks with me when it comes to things that I literally have no control over.

Don't send me to /adv/, they don't know what 4pl8 mean.

I quit lifting entirely

Honestly, I find happiness in other people.
But to get that happiness you have to improve yourself so much that other people want to be with and around you.

Gotta learn to appreciate what a cool motherfucker you are once in a while.
Not often, but it helps to stay sane.

I'm writing an academic article about this exact subject. Did you know that Generation Y has higher depression rates than the generation that lived through the Great Depression and two World Wars?

Apparently Generation Y has higher depression rates due to an external locus and continuous focus on the things they haven't achieved rather than the things they have. I can post the abstract of the paper here if you guys are interested.

Post it.

why do you presume you don't have "enough" in first place?

Would go down on/10

wtf i love butter now

That's just a consequence of the "students must become better than the teachers/descendants should best their ancestors" mindset.

There's not a lot of happenings all over the world wherein young people of the current generation can prove their worth.

> the old people are also naked

mindfulness and self-compassion practice. it's not just a meme

Fuug, I didn't even notice. How did you notice?

That's wrong because a) the student/teacher metaphor is relevant for every generation and hence doesn't make a difference and b) the current generation has exponentially more ways to prove their worth than before. Just look at the exponential growth of types of jobs we have seen over the last few decades.

You're not a guy, are you.

I don't want to fuck up the plagiarism check when I hand in the article, so I'll paraphrase here.

It all boils down to the following factors: The current generation has unrealistically high expectations of their work, and when those expectations aren't met they report higher levels of anxiety and depression. Their expectations aren't met because Generation Y scores higher on narcissism, self-esteem and shifted from internal to external locus of control. This means that all success or failure is contributed to their environment.

Main point to be taken is this: our generation has a severe case of FOMO - fear of missing out. We're continuously comparing our achievements to those of others, and focus on the unrealized potential rather than realized potential. The new trend of self-improvement (read the self-help books, go to the gym, work hard at your job, have a girlfriend and all other demands we have) result in a situation where people are stressed out because they feel like they're not living up to their potential despite having zero indication that they're failing.

>How do you deal with the fact that you never feel satisfied.

I am satisfied though.

How?

I got into Buddhism and listen read philosophy. Takes my mind of the trivial things.

Specifically I listen to Allan Watts. He makes me feel like Buddhism isn't just some retarded shit that all hippies and hipsters follow. He gave it weight and meaningfulness for me.

>No matter how good I look, or how much I lift, I'll never be satisfied. It's not just lifting and fitness, but also things like work, knowledge, money, friends, gf, etc.

Motherfucker, this is the best thing on earth. Do you really want to be some schmuck who's happy with his dead-end mediocre job and his 2.5 kids with his 6/10 wife? No. No motherfucker, you and I are going to wear our hearts out striving for 10/10 in everything we do, and even then we'll be unhappy we hit the ceiling. People like you are the reason why we didn't stay in caves, so fucking own it and tear the world a new asshole.

Autism speaks

You can't just call things you don't agree with autistic

Bretty gud user. What subject is the paper for?

I remember that prom picture from 2014. Black people posted it all over twitter because high school prom is a huge deal to them

Why did you save and repost it?

Will you post it when it's graded? I'm intrigued.

Wow, a thoughtful post. 100% agreed, I fall into that trap pretty often myself.

Life and Sciences, elective subject. Econometrics bachelor is filled with guys, so I choose my electives by the girl count and attractiveness.

Yeah will do, will finetune it in the coming weeks. Not really Veeky Forums-related though, so I doubt the mods will let it stay here for long.

It's basically mental-dismorphia - the more you work on it, the more you realize your flaws. Shit suxx

Are there anyways to counteract this?

This really sums up how I feel all the time, I'm always really worried I am not living up to my potential and it kind of kills me inside.

Wow that's really insightful user. I've been forming this conclusion in my mind but it's nice to see it written down and we'll formulated. So is the answer simply: enjoy what you have? I've been doing that since I left the military a little while ago and I gotta say I've never been this happy for no reason.

You're the autist here man

Thats your flaw senpai. Im satisfied every time i go to gym and lift, it makes me proud and happy, regardless if adding weight or not.

Youre probably using all those things to fill some kind of void in your life, find out what it is and fill that first.

kek, plagiarism check

Because your reason for doing all those things is wrong.

Your ONEITIS will never really make you feel satisfied.

Your Max rep will never make you feel like you have made it.

All the money in the world will never make you sleep like a baby.

All the friends in the world will never fill the hole in your soul.

Only when you accept yourself can you be whole. Lifting/making money/being with someone you love, all those are only extras in your journey to be the best you can be. The journey never ends. You think you've made it, but you've only scratched the surface.

I'm dyel/skinnyfat right now, but I'm working to be the best ME I can be. When I get there I'm going to find my next goal. When I hit that goal I'm going to work on the next one. While you're worried about being unsatisfied I'm working so that when I'm on my death bed, I have no regrets, only memories of the fact that no matter what it was, I was always trying to be the best that I could be in that moment, all while accepting who I am.

TL;DR - You should accept who you are and be trying to better yourself purely because you should be proud of yourself.

Not that I've read of. It appears to be a generation wide problem we're all currently dealing with. Generation Y has unlimited potential, but simply doesn't seem to get it together. I think everybody has their own way of dealing with it, and you'll have to figure it out for yourself.

Take for example, he found his method of dealing with it. Go out and explore your unlimited potential and try to find your niche, rather than focusing on the potential you think you need.

>external locus

Glad to see this mentioned. I’ve found that this is one of the most important factors in personal happiness and satisfaction.
It’s ironic, since at first glance the Internal Locus folks would probably be the most stressed and sad.

Internal locus gives a sense of control, since you can work on yourself. External locus gives you the perfect excuse to just sit back and blame society for everything. It's what spawned the current mentality on Veeky Forums.

Exactly. Problem is that Externals will say that we're placing unnecessary responsibility and burden on ourselves, and will become unhappy because of the pressure. It only appears that way because their locus of control is already outside themselves.

But we know there is a greater joy in being free to change things, regardless of the risks and responsibilities.

I suppose HAES is an advanced form of external LOC...

To be honest, the whole idea behind HAES is quite okay. People have different physiques and should learn about their abilities and limitations. However, the SJW's use HAES as a form to completely disregard scientific research, after which every soccer mom starts mindlessly repeating it.

Self improvement by itself is a form of internal locus, but as soon as you start blaming a lack of result on the self improvement itself (i.e. dieting) you dun goofed.

I wonder whether there's a difference between the extent of external locus between men and women.

Responsibility seems to have become a dirty word for our generation. Nothing wrong with failing, as long as you pick yourself up and try again. We've received too many participation trophies to be emotionally prepared for rejection or failure.

must not have made it yet so keep working hard.

i've decided to dreamer bulk for a few years then hop on gear and cut

Bulk for a couple of years? How do you think that's going to work out ya mong

means I'll turn into a big fat hunk