Were people really that racist in the 60's...

Were people really that racist in the 60's? I just listened to a radio program from that time and the host (Jewish) seemed hold his colored guests in a high regard.

youtube.com/watch?v=yX908Qi-7DE

Other urls found in this thread:

ballotpedia.org/Alabama_Interracial_Marriage,_Amendment_2_(2000)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bump

Well he's a Jewish guy and the civil rights movement was at it's height during the 60's.

I'm guessing most white southerners were racist af

Im from Louisiana. My dad, who was born in the late 50s, said that he was walking around with his baseball glove one day when he saw a black kid doing the same, so he played catch with him and his dad saw it and whipped him later on that night and told him to not do it again. My dad would be considered a nonracist here and he still says nigger all the time.

Polls that asked questions like "would you be comfortable living next to a black family" or "should black people be able to marry white people" show that the biggest change in racial attitudes happened in the late 50s and early 60s.

So by 1964, most of the change that was going to happen had already happened.

If you were to look at media from 1955, you'd see a dramatically different picture.

For the most part, yes. Do you think the Civil Rights movement happened for no reason? The general cultural attitude of the time (in the US, at least) was still that black people were inferior, stupid, and lazy. Most people wouldn't have been outwardly, violently racist like what you'd see in a Klan rally, but the average white person would definitely regard a black person as being less, and would treat them differently to white people. This is very obvious if you pay attention to most media produced at the time, or even talk to a person that was alive at the time.

>the host (Jewish) seemed hold his colored guests in a high regard.
Are you serious? That's because he's a radio host in one of the major folk hubs of the time, and his guests are two of the most respected blues/folk artists that were still alive, during the midst of the Folk Boom. Rediscovering them alive was a huge deal (and in some ways, handled like an exploitative novelty), and everyone thought they were the coolest thing around.

a Jew putting a coon on a pedestal? stop the presses!

Yes they were. Think of what others said in the thread. Blacks and whites mixing was considered unbelievable in the South. If you were banging a black chick as a white man, she’d probably be killed and you either beaten or shunned. I mean for Christ’s sake, most of the southern states hadn’t officially ratified the 13th amendment yet. Some haven’t even today.

>If you were banging a black chick as a white man, she’d probably be killed and you either beaten or shunned.
lol, that is simply false

White men have been given special permission to marry black women in the south going all the way back to before the civil war

>If you were banging a black chick as a white man, she’d probably be killed and you either beaten or shunned.
is this you?

It wasn't just the south. Many northern cities are still organized into defacto segregated neighborhoods, and I've heard lots of stories from old people about how racist things were around them various places in the Midwest and PNW. Hell, there are places I grew up near in Washington that openly put Klan symbols on their town's welcome signs into the 1970s, and lots of rural places are still pretty racist.

Literally technically illegal in Alabama until 2000. I could look further if you want.

Forgot link

ballotpedia.org/Alabama_Interracial_Marriage,_Amendment_2_(2000)

slavery was still technically legal in mississippi until 1995

No, unless you specifically refer to the species of slavery, or involuntary servitude, which is permissable in the language of pic related.

(((Wow gee I wonder why he would treat them so well)))

Depends what you mean as racist. Nowadays if you're not a kumbayah faggot who thinks literally every human is the same regardless of history, biology, or culture, you're a racist.

Every human is pretty much the same retard

I really regret not learning cursive

>citation needed

Yes. Jews in the entertainment world have been tied around blacks since the 1800s, they had a respect for one another back then. Especially because most of the Jews were escaping persecution in Eastern Europe, and when they came here they empathized with black people.