Which is better for gains:3x8 or 5x5?right now doing bench 5x5 and everything else 3x8(overhead-squats-rows)...

which is better for gains:3x8 or 5x5?right now doing bench 5x5 and everything else 3x8(overhead-squats-rows).honestly loading more and doing 5sets feels more complete but idk.thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

strongerbyscience.com/the-bogeyman-of-training-programs-and-why-it-may-be-just-what-you-need/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You could incorporate daily undulating periodisation in order to hit both rep ranges and achieve both goals, really. It's not hard to set up.

In English, doc!

5x5 has more lifts and you likely use higher percentages, making the volume significantly higher.

nigga is that even english

listen here, cocksucker.
A good program takes all rep ranges into account,
If you want to get big and strong you could do whatever the fuck rep range you so please, but most optimal is to vary that shit. don't just do max 8 reps, also do 30 reps or 50 sometimes.
On compound movements, probably stay at whatever the fuck you feel like, but productivity probably stop somewhere between 30 and 100 reps.

strongerbyscience.com/the-bogeyman-of-training-programs-and-why-it-may-be-just-what-you-need/

Might actually be a bit much for beginners, but as I understand it this shit is gold. I've personally never done it myself but it's simple and apparently works wonders.

I actually do a split-bro program rn and have more exersises in,but my basics are overhead-squats-rows-bench.

if my overhead press is 3x8 50kg,what 5x5 should be for example?

This. If you're going to do sets of 8, do 5x8.

>falling for the 8-12 rep meme

doing 3-5 reps per set has been scientifically proven to grow muscle at the same rate as 8-12 with less strength gains.

start with about 70% of your 1rm and add 5lbs a week, and in the early phase when it's super easy try to be more explosive and hit assistance harder.

>with less strength gains

At 8-12 reps obviously.

8 sounds perfect
Strength and near the hypertrophy range

>doing 3-5 reps per set has been scientifically proven to grow muscle at the same rate as 8-12 with less strength gains
user, i think you worded it poorly and it could give people the wrong idea. 8-12 reps produce the same hypertrophy with a smaller increase to 1rm than 5x5. and that's because of neural efficiency and a familiarity with higher 1rm%'s than anything else.

Stop over complicating the training of someone who's clearly a novice.
There's basically no difference.

I did. I tried to fix my mistake:

>near the hypertrophy range
No such thing, same hypertrophy at 3-5 as in 8-12

desu I'm really happy with my 5x5 bench,going up 2,5kg every 1/2 weeks

will try

And a good programming theory behind a decent program keeps the fuckarounditis to a minimum

My ideas are based off Hepburn.
Get in some heavy singles/doubles/triples. Then get in some lighter pump work as a backoff. Then do accessory and isolation stuff if needed to keep the ball rolling. Change rep ranges and/or variations when it gets stale. Eventually you learn what your body is telling you.

Today, I'll hit bench. Singles with as much speed & short rest as I can muster, then 1-5 pump sets (haven't decided yet since I'm at the beginning of new block, but I might do these at a low incline), and then some DB work. I'll probably add some light forearm work to close since I've wrecked myself at work lately and need to get that feeling better. Nice & dumb.

About the same to start. If you did 3*8 and 5*5 equally, the 5*5 would be higher by a % or two. If you're using a short rest period, keep it short and increase as needed

then why do ppl who do Strength routines look like shit vs curlbros

curlbros usually do lots of cardio
strengthbros usually drink lots of milk

> If you're using a short rest period, keep it short and increase as needed

Whats short?with bars my rest time usually is 1min and dumbbells 30secs

Under 2 minutes.
Anything in that range should be pump work, or volume work using a heavier weight but a submaximal # of reps ( ie. 3 when you could do 8-10 ) using a lot of sets.

I've done power/strength work with as much as 7-10 minutes between sets. When you're doing that it takes 6-9 minutes to back off the want-to-die feeling, then you go again