Physical Therapy / Injuries / Health General #4: Open for Business

Title related. Post up here for answers to injury-related questions, PT questions, and general health. Everyone's welcome.

Bring me your aches, pains, sprains and strains.

my shoulder clicks when I do certain movements, and sometimes it's a bit sore but there has been no real pain. what could be the problem?

havent been to the gym for a week, planning to take the next week off too

there's also this weird little thing that sticks out, near my trapezius and I'm talking about the injured shoulder. what the fuck is that. my other shoulder doesnt have that.

>what could be the problem

Random clicking with shoulder movements is honestly normal - loads of people get it and unless it's causing pain there's nothing to be worried about. With regards to your soreness, what brings it on? Are there specific upper-limb or shoulder exercises that you do?

Otherwise, if you're interested in rehabbing back to regular health, I'd recommend starting with zero-resistance work like open-hand lateral raises done with slow speed, just to acclimatise yourself to the movement, then scale up with weights.

> weird little thing that sticks out

Is it as firm as bone or is it squishy like muscle?

thanks for the advice
firm

If it's firm then it might just be a bone spur. Those can be anything from benign to highly aggravating depending on whether or not they obstruct movement. Follow the advice from before, take some time to get back to baseline, and see how you do.

Godspeed user.

Can it heal by itself or should I go see a doc?

It depends on the extent to which it obstructs movement. Get back to gym and feel how your shoulder's working but bear the following points in mind:

- The nub you're feeling and your shoulder mechanics might be completely independent of each other
- The shoulder clicking you're feeling is normal, but what defines it as pathological or not is the severity of the pain that comes afterward
- How you feel right now isn't going to be representative of the pain at normal levels because I'm guessing you normally go to gym. See how you manage at that level, and if the pain persists, consider having a chat to your doctor.

what accessory exercises can i do to increase core strength for the squat, mostly front squat

>The nub you're feeling and your shoulder mechanics might be completely independent of each other
It just looks funny but yeah it doesn't really give me any real problems, and doesn't obstruct movement, so you could be right.

>The shoulder clicking you're feeling is normal, but what defines it as pathological or not is the severity of the pain that comes afterward
Yeah after the click there isnt any pain really, it hurts more on random movements I do with the shoulder. It's a bit weird. The click just got me a bit worried.

>How you feel right now isn't going to be representative of the pain at normal levels because I'm guessing you normally go to gym. See how you manage at that level, and if the pain persists, consider having a chat to your doctor.
So if I experience any more pain while exercising it would be a good idea to see a doctor?

I think I'll let my shoulder rest for a few more weeks just to be sure, then return to the gym and see how it feels. Thanks for the advice dude.

You can hit your front squat from two angles - mobility and strength.

>Mobility

The first thing you need to do is make sure you've got full ROM for front squat. Not everyone will be able to get their wrists extended enough to hold the bar, but no matter how you hold the bar you need to make sure your thoracic spine, and shoulders are stable enough. Then obviously work on depth which has to do with lower back, hip and knee mobility.

>Strength

Remember that the front squat works the quads and upper back more than the lower squat. Upper back exercises like scapular retraction and rows can help you maintain rack form through the movement. Glute ham raises are good for working the posterior chain which is needed in the movement. Other than that, anything that'll work the quads and glutes will give you some benefit, but it really depends on where your strength deficits are as far as the movement is concerned.

it's 100% core like my TA isn't as strong as it could be

my mobility is fine and i'm able to high bar properly fairly successfully but as i get to higher weights i feel like i can't keep my chest up

>i can't keep my chest up

Given that I've never seen you squat, don't know anything about your routine, exercise history, physical presentation, or anything else, the most general yet applicable advice I can give is to work on core conditioning and your upper back.

For core, focus on high-intensity, low-repetition, high-load exercises. Stay away from crunches and situps they're not going to do anything and you'll feel like a fool. Planks, bridges, and twists all do wonders for TA and core overall.

With regards to your upper back, like I said earlier, rows and scapular work.

I got Hashimoto's and the pills aren't working. I got all the nice stuff like fat gain, edema, breathing problems, OCD, really bad digestion, dry skin and hair from it. Tired, too. Basically, a textbook case, according to all the doctor's I've been to.

Nobody can tell me the causes. Some say it's stress. I feel like I'm losing my mind desu. Aside from that, I'm super healthy, apparently. Heart and lungs are ok, kidneys too.

Any ideas? I've been taking the pills for months now, my values are slowly normalizing but the symptoms are only marginally getting better if at all.

yeah alright, thanks

>Any ideas

If your serology's showing up normal but your symptoms aren't subsiding then you need to tell your doctor that you're not experiencing any improvement with your presenting problems. This is a conversation you need to have with your physician, not 4churns. All the same, godspeed - I'm only a run-of-the-mill PT but I wish you the best, thyroid-bro

I already tried that, but as long as the values improves, no physician cares.

Thanks anyway, wish u the best 2 bb.

Hello Kenny.

I hurt myself some time ago by lowering a struggling deadlift too slowly.
Didn't really feel any pain in the moment, but later on I felt a massive soreness in my lower left back. And it would hurt like hell when I would curl my back, like when tying my shoes.
At first I freaked out thinking I may have fucked my spine, but I think it was in fact more my hip. SI joint maybe ?

Now, with time is as been getting waaayyy better, to the point that I can workout normally, but I can still make it "hurt" on purpose. Squats make it feel better, lower back stuff too if I am careful.

Should I be worried or do you think it will heal back to normal with time ?

Also, a more chronic problem, my whole right side is fucked, shoulder popping, thumbs on my hand and foot too, ankle too, I feel like my hips are misaligned or something, any clue ?
Deadlifts and squats make me feel more "aligned" and I feel better after workouts, but it doesn't last usually.

Anyway, you may be long gone but thanks for the time you dedicate to this community.

I'm here, sorry, gf called.

>massive soreness in my lower left back

Most likely a compensatory muscle spasm, likely erector spinae. There are so many muscles that run through that area that it's hard to pinpoint it properly but that'd be my guess from what you described.

>SI joint maybe

Potentially, but that would present with pain a little lower than what you've described. If the pain is close to the apex of your asscrack, it's likely SIJ pain, but if it's higher, I'm tempted to say muscular.

>I can still make it "hurt" on purpose

Don't do this. You don't want to flare it up, so avoid aggravating movements and stay with things that make the pain feel better

>Should I be worried or do you think it will heal back to normal with time ?

If it's improving, keep working with it. Be careful with what you do, and progress conservatively rather than aggressively. Make sure you're doing your movements with good form and appropriate assistive devices if you need to. People may give you shit for wearing a belt but I've never seen someone get congratulated for putting themselves in a wheelchair.

> my whole right side is fucked

It sounds like asymmetry and a poor proprioceptive sense, which can be tricky to diagnose on the internet and is best looked at by an IRL PT. Your best bet is to get assessed for postural symmetry, movement quality and muscle bulk/tone symmetry - explain your problem simply to your treating clinician and I'm sure they'll set you right.

> thanks for the time you dedicate to this community.

We're all gonna make it.

Same, except I also hurt my neck whenever I fuck up a lift.

For some reason I'll lose range of motion and be unable to turn it around.

My shoulder hurts after bench days. I've cut out any dumbbell work and it feels better. Any common mistake in db press work you think I may be having?

Also my big toe on my right foot has gone numb. Whats up w9tj that.

>except I also hurt my neck whenever I fuck up a lift

Deload and focus on form. If the pain persists, speak to an IRL PT. They'll do a shoulder assessment with and without load, and look at the mechanics of your arm. The loss of Range of Motion is a compensatory muscle reaction - nothing to worry about unless it lasts longer than a day, which would indicate sensitisation.

Different guy but would anti rotations be beneficial ?

>common mistake in db press work

The first thing that comes to my brain is rotator cuff weakness. Bench pressing places a great amount of stress on the rotator cuff muscles, so in order to avoid rotator cuff tears and similar debilitating injuries, always mind your form and make sure to include exercises that strengthen the rotator cuff into your warm-up routine.

>my big toe on my right foot has gone numb

Could be neuropraxia, could be the 'beetus. Talk to your Doctor.

As I remember you have a bulging disc too kenny,how do you lift ? do you do ohp,deadlifts,squats ?
Any experience is appreciated.

Those could work - I've never tried them in a clinical context so it could be worth trying out. Of course, being mindful of your own technique and limitations.

>how do you lift

Sensibly. I lift two hours a day on weekdays and do an hour of core/stability work on Sat/Sun. My pattern is Upper/Lower/Wednesday/Upper/Lower. Wednesday is just a random day where I fuck around and do what I reckon is fun.

I do lots of OHP, and plenty of squats. Haven't done diddlies in a while but that's because I'm lazy as shit.

The thing to remember is that disc bulges present differently for everyone. Mine is pretty tame and only really flares up if I sit like shit for too long. It also means I need to keep a good posture in my day-to-day life which is good because I've got a good frame and good posture makes it stand out.

Dunno if that was helpful or not

My left foot turns out (as in toes point to the left) whenever I sprint, and sometimes when I'm normally running as well- I think this causes me some knee/hip pain? How can I fix/prevent this?

How long have you been taking the pills for? thyroid replacement is pretty tricky to get the dosages right for, quite often you need to slowly up the dose till it's right, you don't want to overdo it. Cause wise is still a bit unkown, like a lot of autoimmune diseases, some genetic components, maybe certain drugs/exposures but nobody is really sure. Try going back to your doc/another doc and see if they'll do something for you.

You can try movement retraining but you'll need to speak to an IRL PT about it. I believe this problem can have three root causes

The first is muscle imbalance. Abnormal contraction of a muscle through running might result in your foot externally rotating. It could also be the result of passive insufficiency - the muscle might not be long enough to allow your foot to move normally. Ensure you stretch well in advance of doing any exercises.

The second could be a problem with your footwear. The best option is to consult a podiatrist for an assessment and make a plan - ask them what exercises you can do in your own time to minimise the issue, and if you need an insole, enquire about that as well.

The third contributing factor could be a structural problem, which has to do with the physical constitution of your ankle joint. Once again, a podiatrist or PT will be able to steer you right with regards to this issue.

It shouldn't be too hard to correct - lots of elite runners have completely retarded running postures and styles. With regards to the knee and hip pain, can you talk that out a little more?

How to prevent elbow tendinitis? I get a weird tricep twinge doing dumbell presses so I took two weeks off.

Checked.

The best thing you can do for prevention is to condition yourself to minimise the risk of injury. Work on stretching, smooth range of movement, and good contraction through your working phase. Things to focus on are your elbow position and your weight path - people sometimes screw their elbows in or out to maximise the contribution of the pectorals and anterior delts, but that fucks up the movement and detracts from your technique.

Make sure to practise good form as well - set your scapulae and move with symmetrical pathing and tempo when you're completing your movements. Even if you have to deload and take it slow, that's better than ripping through it and doing damage to yourself.

Are you a physical theraoist? If so what degree, how many years experience, and what kind of patients do you work with?

I made my not so triumphant return to the gym last Wednesday. While away I had come to realise that I had pretty bad buttwink at the bottom of my squat (not flexi enough for a2g). With this in mind, I was doing front squats with only 1pl8 (best is about 75kg) when I had a momentary lapse in judgement. A little voice came into my head and said "remember your butt winks" so I stuck my arse way out as I went down. This resulted in some quite severe lasting pain in my spine. How fucking retarded am I.
It's definitely for a lot better since then but I'm still terrified I might have done something permanent.
Still finished my set though.

>Are you a physical theraoist?

Yes sir.

> what degree

BHSc with MsPHPTY

>how many years experience

>what kind of patients do you work with

I've worked with a bunch, all the way from post-surgical to mid-level athletes. I've done work in hospitals and private clinics as well as volunteer work for sports teams, clinics, and overseas in India at my grandmother's free clinic. I've participated in research in the US, done some teaching, and most recently worked alongside veterans at a repatriation hospital. Currently I'm starting up my own clinic, and returning to uni to reskill, either in neuropsych or neuropsych/neurosurg.

Thanks for that- I'm planning on hopefully seeing a PT some time before next hockey (field hockey) season, as that is when I'm doing the most running.

Knee/hip pain- Sometimes, especially after doing lots of sprints, I get pain sort of down the front of the left leg, slightly on the inside- imagine a line sort of from the medial side of the kneecap, up to sort of the middle of the hip joint, maybe slightly medial to the hip flexor muscle? Stretching the hip flexors once it's happened doesn't really seem to help, and the pain is sometimes more around the knee, or sometimes higher up the leg.

>How fucking retarded am I

As retarded as the rest of us. Y'all okay.

>I stuck my arse way out as I went down

Remember that the front squat is meant to be completed with your back as upright as possible, even more so than when back squatting.

>I'm still terrified I might have done something permanent.

If you're getting better, that's a pretty good indication that what you did was non-serious and should resolve comfortably over time. If you're worried about permanent instability, return to gym conservatively and watch videos of all the exercises you do, do an appropriate warmup, and be sensible with your working volume.

Err on the side of caution, and re-establish your base before you start progressing aggressively.

I have some pain seemingly in my tailbone after deadlifting last week. It pretty much came out of nowhere and now even bending over is slightly painful and I've avoided doing deadlifts and heavy squats since. Anything I can do about this or just wait it out until I'm pain free again?

From what you've described it might be mild sartorius myopathy with pain. Try stretching it out - see if that aggravates or eases the pain.

Here's your game plan:

1. Wait it out. If the pain doesn't get better, speak to a PT. If the pain gets better, proceed.
2. Start doing exercise and activity at 25% of your previous capacity. If you can't manage that, return to resting and try again when you're ready. If you can manage it, proceed.
3. Gradually increase the weight between working sets as you're comfortable. Make sure to do plenty of mobility work in the meantime, so long as it doesn't aggravate the pain.
4. ???
5. Profit.

Thanks man.
I also have flat back syndrome,what can I do about this ?

Best thing you can do is compensate I guess - flat-back isn't just one thing - it's a constellation of symptoms that are interrelated to the extent that it's hard to target one thing at a time. Personally, I've only dealt with one person with flat-back and even then it was under the supervision of my superiors.

I really wish I had the answer, but I don't. Sorry man, I wish you all the best, regardless.

Is it something important ? would it stop me from working out ?

thoracic outlet syndrome
>numbness whenever holding my arms overhead
>loss of power / pain when pressing movements (not just OHP)

pls fix

also my traps/rhombs always feel sore especially when I bend my neck side to side

I really want to continue my kickboxing training ,but i have 2 problems.I dislocated my roght knee 5+ months ago and i relied on my left knee to carry me.After my recovery everytime i climb stairs or run my knees start hurting and it's fucking annoying and i feel like im a 60 y.o man even though im in my late teens.Also i have flat feet and doctors have told me that it isn't something to worry about if i wear orthopedic feet pads,but since i started wearing them (2 years ago) i lost my balance and even a small guy can push me (im' 6'1),and it's really embarassing and i sometimes feel powerless because of this.Is there someway i can fix this?

Hey Kenny

First of all, thanks for this thread.
You seem like a very nice guy giving advice to everyone.

My only question for now is the following:
During my warm up sets for squats I have a feeling of discomfort/pain in the joint between my left leg and pelvis. What could be the cause?

At higher weights (2pl8+) I don't seem to notice it so much.

i broke my hand in January, experienced no pain and it healed in about a month, but ive noticed some issues with dexterity with my ring and pinky finger. how do i restore my hand to its former glory?

Bump
This is my comment^

The one with the knee pain

The sound usually means you are lifting your humerus in an improper form and the sound comes from when the tendon of m.supraspinatus clicks agaisn't acromion, right? So by certain movements it was probably lateral raises and this is common when people lift the dumbells too much to the side

Left wrist hurts when I bend it forward. It's my primary hand, so I figure it has something to do with it since my right hand has no such pain.

I'm betting it has to do with my old wrist position when I benched and pressed, but the pain has improved since I've corrected my wrist positioning in those movements.

My form broke down during benching a couple weeks ago and ever since then I've had some pain right under my collar bone. Only really hurts when I stretch my arm up or if I push down on it. I've been taking it light on bench and dips and swapped from 3*5 to 3*8 with lighter weights. What could it be + what stretches or excercises could I do to help it?

Thanks Kenny

np dude. I'm up now and ready to help!

It shouldn't stop you from working out, but there are going to be implications for the quality of your lower back, upper back, and upper limb movements. My suggestion is that you should also talk to a PT if you're interested in working out properly and lifting heavy weight.

This isn't something I can fix with general advice over the internet - this is something you'll need to discuss with a PT and see if you can get some alternate exercises for. I'm sorry I can't help more - if you were here IRL I'd be able to do something substantive but given the circumstances this is the best I can do.

Godspeed, outlet-bro

Hurt my wrist in a bjj tournament 5 months ago, haven't done any lifting except "pulls" and it still hurts, but only when pressure is applied "up" or "down".

Did I get permanent nerve damage?

Deadlifts and yoke bar squats are fine since they put no pressure on it, but bench, ohp, and normal squats all at even 50% of working weight can cause a sharp pain.

Can you describe the pain? Also, given that this happened five months ago, have you seen a therapist about it?

When you say under your collar bone, where specifically? Towards the shoulder, in the middle of the collarbone, or under the collarbone joint with your sternum?

>but the pain has improved since I've corrected my wrist positioning in those movements

If it's improving, keep doing what you're doing. Consider strapping if the pain comes back, or deloading and working back up if you want to play it conservatively.

I mean,I have a bulging disc too,so I already take care of my back,do I have to take care of something else ?

I hurt my upper back right on the spine between the shoulderblades deadlifting a year ago and had a lot of pain there and numbness in my arms i.e. ulnar nerve problems I believe. I had an MRI scan which showed nothing (they said I might have soft tissue damage). Saw a physio who gave me stretches to do every day which helped a lot, still doing them every day. I did some lightweight front squats the other day and the pain came back and back is clicking a lot again. What can I do?
>Thanks for taking the time

Okay if you've got disc bulge on top of flat back, I'd recommend you talk to a PT about good load management and movement strategies before you scale up. Not super essential, just to get yourself into the pipeline and in contact with a practitioner.

You should be okay in the interim, so long as you're not trying to outdo Piano Man.

Have nerve damage in both wrists from motorcycle accident. Wrist can't bend backwards more than halfway without complete failure. Pushups (or any palms on ground exercises and stretches) are out and I can't bench normally.

I've been struggling to find alternatives.

PT's where I live is a fucking joke.
whatever man thanks for the help,much appreciated.

Have you tried strapping, assistive devices, alternate grips or machine work? It might just be the case that you'll need a buddy to give you assistance with bench, but there are ways to work around it

>First of all, thanks for this thread.
You seem like a very nice guy giving advice to everyone.

Cheers breh.

>What could be the cause?

The discomfort could just be the feeling of moving through that range without any prep, if you're not doing stretches, or it just might be a quirk of your musculature. I used to get the same thing and for the longest time I thought I had hip dysplasia or something because I'd feel a drawing pain all the way through my hip when I walked, but nothing during squat.

It's more likely to be muscular, so I'd recommend you do some stretching and light, unresisted movement before your working sets and see if that does anything. Resistance bands are good too - try doing an unweighted squat with band support like Alan Thrall might suggest.

Good luck user

I've just come out of an induced coma I was in for about a month. Long story short my body's fucked, I can just about get up stairs and the like but any actual exercise is nigh impossible.

Thing is I'm in the military and there's a pretty high chance I'll get discharged if I take to long to recover, any way to speed shit up?
Medics currently got me on Prednisolone and some other shit for its side effects.

>I've just come out of an induced coma I was in for about a month

Welcome back, coma-bro.

You're severely, severely deconditioned. Research shows that strength degrades at a rate of 2.5% for every day of bed rest, and the problem can be so bad in hospitals that old ladies can get ICU-Acquired Weakness as a consequence of just lying down all day.

Off the top of my head, the best advice I could give you is to eat like a motherfucker, get a good night's sleep, and do a few hours of exercise daily. Start with basic conditioning work - brisk walking moving into relaxed jogs and running if you can. Make sure your macros and micros are all being hit - you're working against your body's inactive sate so this is very much an uphill battle.

Speak to your doctor and maybe even a PT if you can and explain the situation. I'm not familiar with the internal workings of the armed forces, so I can't be of any help there.

Good luck man, I don't think there's necessarily a way to accelerate recovery but you can definitely make a start on it now.

Have you considered doing those stretches again? Can you tell me what they were so I have a better picture of what's going on?

>Lie down with a towel between shoulder blades for 5 minutes with arms stretched out
>kneeling, slowly roll torso down and up x5
>all fours, bottom to heels then stretch arms forward x5
>back against wall stand tall, turn palms forwards
>for neck, turn head left then right x10
>for neck, bring head to shoulder left then right x10

I see bro, thanks. but what about

Cheers mate. Those sound good as they are - I'd add in some scapular protraction and retraction. Just stand still, hands by your sides, and roll your shoulders forward and backward.

My recommendation would be deload your squat, get back to doing those stretches, and if you want to front squat again, condition and strengthen your upper back before you get into it. Front squat is really upper-back intensive so you'll need a strong base to get it done.

thanks very much

Hey, sorry forgot I posted here. Thanks for the advice, yeah I'm gonna take it nice and slow from now on, and make sure I do it right. You're a good man charlie brown. Thanks again.

Rotator FUCKING cuff. I didn't injure it - yet. But my right cuff was more than sore and often was after bench/dips.
Took a week off but what can I do to prevent injury?
Good stretches for The Cuff?
Any way to strengthen it?

Dips.

haha, first post in, and directly posting misinformation already.
gg

>Random clicking with shoulder movements is honestly normal - loads of people get it and unless it's causing pain there's nothing to be worried about.

>scapular protraction and retraction. Just stand still, hands by your sides, and roll your shoulders forward and backward.
no, rolling causes tilting of the shoulder blades.
retraction/protraction means something else.

fucked my groin doing squats a few weeks ago, then after a week off I fucked it up again (this time is was 10x worse literally felt shit snap) but now I'm thinking it's my hip and not just my groin (and was probably that in the first place)

it's been 2 weeks, and my groin is pretty much pain free, but I still can't squat because when I externally rotate my right hip (think like a tree yoga pose) it hurts. I can't even think about getting into a squat position because after a certain point of pushing my knees out and opening my hips (body weight squat) it goes from 0 to 100 and it's a pretty bad pain

pic related is where the pain is - hard to define exactly where but it's somewhere in there. I think it's my hip flexor

can walk fine but like I said..can't do any rotation.

gonna make an actual doctor's appt on monday but I'm scared I just snapped my fucking shit up, any advice?

it's almost never the hip flexors themselves.
look up "femoral anterior glide".
ways to fix it include glute activation and strengthening, stretching of the glutes, adductors and hamstrings, and avoiding hip flexor stretches.
biggest focus should be on glutes.

squat using your ass more, not your quads, you need to push your ass back more when you squat, I had exactly the same problem.

I can only relay what knowledge I have from clinical work and articling - People present with clicky shoulders and nine times out of ten, when interviewed about it they don't report discomfort. I myself have clicky/snappy shoulders, and I can still complete my circuits with no issues. Of course, just because I can do something it doesn't mean anyone else can, which is why pain and individual presentation need to be considered as well. if you've got anything to contribute, I'd encourage you to - for the sake of myself and others in the thread I'd be happy to hear it.

Yeah sorry I dun goof'd on that one. You'll have to brace your hands against a wall for that one, like a wall-push-up. It's a little tricky to explain in words and without hands-on help, so I recommend you look up scapular setting exercises and see which ones do best by you.

But then again, you're already doing stretches from a previous PT, so do those and if you don't get relief, return to them for reassessment.

This user pretty much hit the nail on the head But that being said, the snapping sensation is cause for caution. Take some time to get better and see what your doctor puts you on. You'll likely be referred to a PT or to radiology to get it looked at. Follow your instructions and you'll be okay.

I have ulnar nerve entrapment. I've already gone to a hand specialist and he's telling me that nothing can be done besides waiting or surgery. I don't really like the doctor and might be going for a second opinion. Not sure if my home regimen of stretching, heat, and rest is helping or not?

clicking/noise in joints often doesn't indicate a problem, but it can indicate that the joint is mistracking.
e.g. patellar maltracking or shoulder instability.
you're right that it often doesn't mean anything, but playing it off like that seems a bit too generous to me.

might wanna include the original post about that pro/re-traction as well, so they get notified.

>Follow your instructions and you'll be okay.
haha
oh, if only PTs and doctors were competent with these things.

huh. I've actually been working glutes directly for the past month or so (just cable pull throughs) to help with dl lockout so that's why I've been dismissing that possibility but I trust you guys. I'll try some stretches though thanks guys

it just sucks because I can't do any big lift except rows and OHP - no squat obviously, but diddles there's some pain and with bench press I like to keep my feet out wide so the set up is a real pain (literally)

popping sound in knee when extending and pain

you can work and build nice glutes while still not using them properly during squats.

>but I trust you guys
no, look up "femoral anterior glide" and learn about it yourself.
yeah, it's gonna take a bit more work, but it's for your own good...

>I'll try some stretches though thanks guys
no, stretches alone are probably not gonna cut it.
you need to engage your glutes properly during squats.

> playing it off like that seems a bit too generous to me

That's a fair point, which is why I stated that if it's causing pain or discomfort it should be investigated. The shoulder is the go-to when you think about clicky joints because it relies on muscle balance more than joint congruity for appropriate tracking, as I'm sure you know. The drawback to that is that because people have so many disparate and different postures, it's really, really hard to find a shoulder that's in 100% good tracking all the time; it's inherently unstable to allow a large ROM, which again, I'm sure you know.

>oh, if only PTs and doctors were competent with these things

I can't speak for anyone else on this matter, but you're right.

Am I right in thinking you've got some experience in this, from a strength-training or sports background? Another trip in the general could really help if you're willing to lend a hand.

Yeah that's all linked together in a clusterfuck of information now.

Does it pop every time you extend or at other times as well?

the reason i brought it up was because people sometimes don't correlate the joint maltracking/clicking/whatever with their joint issues or pain, if the pain isn't during the clicking or in the area of the clicking.
so eventhough the joint instability does cause the issues/pain, they sometimes don't add two and two together.
but you're probably right and i'm nitpicking.

no, i don't have any formal education in this.
i just spend a lot of time dealing with personal problems and procastinating my studies (something unrelated) by learning about this stuff on the internet.

you're way too kind and level-headed to hate on, so i'll stop now.

>but you're probably right and i'm nitpicking.

Even if I am, it's good that you're offering your input. Even if you don't trip, it's good to see other people weigh in, if not for the sake of the community then at least to keep me humble and remind me I'm not the biggest guy around.

>i just spend a lot of time dealing with personal problems and procastinating my studies (something unrelated) by learning about this stuff on the internet.

Motivated enthusiasts can be more effective than undisciplined professionals. I wish you the best in your studies, whatever they may be, and joy on your road through life, wherever it may take you.

thanks.

if there's one piece of advice i could give you, it'd be to not to waste too much time with this.
i've been on Veeky Forums for years and have spent more time than i'd want to.
it's great you're helping people, and i hope you continue with this.
just don't let it get out of hand.

I know, I know. I'll keep things in perspective. The way I see it is that the people here are smart, talented, motivated, but they lack a sense of direction and sometimes they don't know how to take the first step. I think everyone wants to be the best version of themselves, either for themselves or for someone or something else. I think that's noble, and the least I can do is lend advice that may fall on deaf ears but still has the potential to help.

Even so, I can't make a difference in everyone's life, but if I can help even one person make it that's good enough for me.

If you want more details to get you to answer:

Numbness in pink/half ring
Weakness, Pain along wrist/elbow

Stretches: typical nerve gliding that I googled

Cause: Unknown, no specific injury. Maybe overuse from being at desk too long?

Sorry sorry, I completely missed you during my little self-congratulatory episode.

Your home regimen will help if it eases your symptoms - given that you've got pain at the elbow I'm going to infer that that's where your nerve entrapment is happening. My advice for you in this case would be to try gentle tissue massage and unresisted mobilisation of your elbow joint within a non-painful range. There are some good ones with diagrams online which you should google - I can't link to all of them and they're beyond my capacity to describe in words at the moment.

>Maybe overuse from being at desk too long

Potentially, I'd need to look at your posture to be sure.

The numbness is concerning - how long has that been going on?

Sharp pain in the circle, when pressure is applied.
>pic related, over 9000 hours in smartphone editing

Saw a chiropractor (family friend, charges me $20) 3 months or so ago, just told me to ice, rest, and wear a brace (done).

Saw a PT 2 weeks ago, who sent me to another PT who specializes in mobility (included in my gym membership which work pays for), just showed me 2 wrist stretches and fist push-ups.

Thanks for making this thread btw, hopefully I haven't missed you, today's been busy (graduated in December, ceremony was today)

I'm going to sleep, long day, so hopefully I'll see your reply tomorrow.

Many thanks again