Then: 40-100 reps, hoisting weights randomly, no significant diet changes except "don't become too full"

>Then: 40-100 reps, hoisting weights randomly, no significant diet changes except "don't become too full"
>thick, tight, ripped, strong, aesthetic year round, natty

>Now: 4-10 reps, autistic lifting programs and diets, supplements and supplements and (((powders)))
>still weak and look like shit unless they do roids and cutting agents

Well Veeky Forums ? Explain yourselves.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxalding
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Sick
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Saldo
archive.org/details/MuscleControl
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

meanwhile old school press (TM) training was mostly heavy triples if you actually bother to research it

You know they had cocaine back then, right?

you know cocaine is shit and not anabolic right? and using it a a cutting aid would kill your gains as a natty.

Sandow also lifted everyday, at high reps. go figure.

Not all of them even lifted weights.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxalding
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Sick
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Saldo

>The Maxalding system, like the 'dynamic tension' system of Charles Atlas and those of others, did not use weights. Where the other systems concentrated on muscle development, Maxalding went one stage further and taught muscle control.

>Maxick stated that he had developed his very incredible physique and strength using only muscle control

These guys were strong as fuck with many strongman records to their name.

>muscle control
What us muscle control?

Gaining conscious control of your muscles

>2017
>not taking advantage of the Captain America like enhancing drugs that are widely available to almost anyone because you're too much of a pussy to pin

>Some exercises of Maxalding, involving isolating the muscles of the abdominal region, are similar to the yoga exercise called nauli. The methods of centralisation and central isolation of the abdominals and other exercises must have seemed revolutionary when first released and do not seem to be generally advocated elsewhere so would seem novel even today.

Pic related is Nauli yoga of abdominal muscles.

Muscle control taught by Max Sick and Monte Saldo is extreme concentration and isolation of muscle groups of the body in similar vein like in the picture.

Those techniques do work in terms of total muscle control.

Max Sick talks about in his books that kind of isolation that you are able to sit totally relaxed while only your bicep "pumps up". These kind of exercises are extremely difficult, for most people when they try to isolate one group of muscle, like the bicep for example, they end up isolating forearm and hand muscles at same time. The proper technique is to only flex the bicep and nothing else.

Out of everyone back then there's a handful who were famous and are still known. Logically they were the genetic freaks. It's like saying they don't make them like they used to because you have a forty year old whatever that still works despite the fact every single other one of them is broken and in the dump.

That's an elephant with a human head growing out of its skull.

Zero looks like THAT!?

That's not true. They all weightlifted, though some sold cheap products and course materials to rubes in a cashgrab that is very similar to today's fake natties selling supplements to rubes when all their gains came from whore-moans.

'Dynamic Tension' is bullshit. Selling insecure boys in their basement expensive weight sets was impossible. However, selling insecure boys a hidden secret that they can perform in their rooms to get swole is easy. Hence why 'Convict Conditioning' made so much money.

>genetic freak

you can tell he's not a genetic freak, he worked out a ton , for years and he wasn't huge. I got bigger natty than him, just less defined.
the other guys didn't know wtf to do and didn't care about building muscles desu or they didn't care ahoout about posing to photographs

>you can tell he's not a genetic freak, he worked out a ton , for years and he wasn't huge. I got bigger natty than him, just less defined.

>I.e. a soft, 38 inch waisted, 'lifter' with 16 inch arms.

Sandow was such a genetic freak that he could go on tour as essentially a human oddity. "Come see the RIPPED PHREAK!"

Your problem is that you've been so warped by the sickness of 'gym culture' and aren't intelligent enough to understand the last 70 years of hormone use and how it has shaped perception of what a muscular body is.

Sandow was a genetic freak. Make no mistake. He would have been similar to a Ken Patera type who pressed 100kg the first time he picked up a barbell.

>I got bigger natty than him, just less defined

So you got bigger natty than a literal greek statue?
I doubt.

>genetic freak
>no pecs, no back
>small forearms

his proportions were good for a natty, nothing "freakish"

They used cocaine to cut.

/thread

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

>no back

Your idea of what a big back is has been warped by men using hormones.

>no pecs

Your perception of 'pecs' has been warped by the homosexual Joe Weider who fetishized pecs to such an extent that the ideal for bodybuilders today is a weird hybrid bitch-titted half-female look.

(Coincidentally, Sandow based his look on a homosexual desire to emulate Greek statues, which do not have pronounced pecs.)

>small forearms

He's cut to ribbons from cocaine use and ain't on anabolics or a gram of hormones. Reread the above.

>"YO, NIQQA, SANDOW AIN'T NO GENETIC FREAK!"

Says the dweeb who is still convinced Heath, Lobliner and Connor McGregor are 'natty'.

I worked out natty for 2 years doing low rep powerlifting shit, no isolation, no aesthetics, eating big. I'm 6'3 215lbs. Pretty sure I'm bigger than Sandow who was 5'8...

Give me another 2 years and a bodybuilding routine with a clean diet and I think I'd look just as good as him , hell probably even bigger.

He doesn't look like a genetic anomaly to me at all. Just cut well.

Kek

>people may lie now but they surely didn't in the old times

>M-MUH GENETICS
Remember, it's not your fault that you're DYEL if you were predetermined by fate to fail.

They lied

You do understand that 40-100 reps was mostly done as singles with short rest intervals, right?

You are him are wrong.

IIRC, Sandow's books advocate single sets at 10-20 reps of multiple exercises. Good for general fitness, but not for building a body.

>have lots of bodyfat
>I'M BIGGER THAN THAT GUY

Veeky Forums at it's best.

can't unsee

I don't think he states rep range for heavy weighted exercises, but considering the rep ranges for the lightweight exercises range between 50 and 2 with most being in the 15ish rep range, I doubt he ever went to 100. V likely the heavy weight exercises were around 3-5 reps per set.

your bodyfat also is above 15% which is why you're hiding your gut and have poor definition. Proportionally speaking less muscle mass

Sandow only got up to about 175 lbs iirc.

>sandow was a genetic freak that nattys cant attain!!

Veeky Forums at its best

anyway he wasn't always cut and shredded.
if I did a bodybuilding routine instead of powerlifting and did a cut I'm confident I'd be bigger than him and more impressive, natty. Not hard.

>I bet if I cut I wouldn't lose any muscle mass at all and it'd be super easy!!
No, THIS is Veeky Forums at its finest.

You do realize people were total retards about performance and nutrition back then, right? Middle school students are better athletes than the Olympians of those days because of better methods of training.

hence I said "
Give me another 2 years and a bodybuilding routine with a clean diet and I think I'd look just as good as him , hell probably even bigger."

Point of showing my physique is that you can build a lot of muscle natty, in a short amount of time. Nothing about sandows size is freakish or bizzare or hard to attain natty.

Not saying you should stop lifting weights, but Maxalding done correctly can give you DOMS and conscious tensing and isolation of certain muscle groups gives your central nervous system better control of them and can increase your strength.

It is not flexing your biceps while laying on your sofa. Anybody can download the book for free.

archive.org/details/MuscleControl

protip: You have made most of your muscle gains already, natty gains don't exceed 2-3 years with decent stimulation which you have already achieved by lifting heavy enough with big volume

>Middle school students are better athletes than the Olympians of those days because of better methods of training.

Yet why can't you press 115kg like the niqqa in pic attached if modern training methods you've been given by Ripptoe are inherently superior?

What was food like back in the day?

Because some people are born freaks and I'm not one of them?
You literally are using a few best guys from that time period. It's just selection bias. You don't see the photos of the average bodybuilder from back then, because spoiler alert, they look like shit.
My local natty Chad bro looks better and probably can lift more than them any of them.

>You literally are using a few best guys from that time period

The culture/literatre of the period states that a 1.2 bodyweight press was a reasonable goal. This was pre-late 1940s roid usage in weightlifting. There are also many such cases of this being common.

You also have done mental snakes and ladders away from your original, and ridiculous, point that olympians/lifters of old were worse athletes than middle school kids.

>learn 2 brian, dumbkunt

If you compare some of the performances, especially in sprinting, there's very little change. Pre IAAF record was 10.5 s, Bolt's record is 9.56 iirc and still no white dude has run sub 10. If you consider the amateurism of the time, the amouny of tech, research, and all sorts of other changes, in 100 years we've put in so much more effort but barely progressed.

yeah, nah. sandow is quoted as saying he thought there was no merit in using light weights. most of those guys trained heavy daily, similar to modern day greasing the groove/bulgarian style.
their records were also smashed to pieces decades ago.

the press was different then. it wasn't the locked hips, locked knees, head under bar kind of press we do now. they used to bend, arch, and kick their hips forward such that it was almost like a standing incline bench with hip drive to get past the sticking point.

>cocaine is a cutting aid

How?

cocaine is a neurostimulant

yeah, this. one thing these guys all had in common was that thy got rich from selling their shit. they were the old day equivalent of "get a six pack in just TWO WEEKS!"

Some men choose to achieve fitness without the use of science and technology because it's more rewarding and well earned.

Somebody who uses gear will never understand that

>most of those guys trained heavy daily, similar to modern day greasing the groove/bulgarian style.

Not true. This is Pavel propaganda to sell his heavily marketed shit. That has no connection with the lit. of the day.

I've read next to everything available from this period. Real advice can be limited, but here is an amalgamation of typical 'strength' training from the pre-1910s era:

>1-3x5-1 ramping, 3-5 days per week, minimal rest (2min), with multiple (5+) movements that varied regularly

Lifting methods became more 'scientific' with the rise of weightlifting from the 30s-40s. Al Murray introduced 5x5 as a prep workout for weightlifting, 85% x multiple sets of 3 (i.e. the blueprint of olympic lifting until the 70s), a focus on ramping of weight, 'pump' sets of 10-15 etc etc etc appeared in this era.

Methods have either stayed the same or regressed since then reflecting the importance of drugs over training methods that came from the 50s steroid boom.

Yes it was. The backbend only really picked up steam from the 1940s. By the 1970s it was a standing bench with a hip-thrust and leg drive.

FWIW, Ron Walker pressed 120kg at the 1936 olympics with no backbend.

ah, i didn't know that Pavel made that shit up. oh well, my mistake for taking his strength training advice though i can't fault him on KBs or mobility

i'd be veyr grateful if you could share your info. i've attempted to find material from that period that isn't modernized meme garbage but its fucking difficult to find. i was going to use their methods to try to improve my laughable press.

It supresses appetite, motivates one to move and, presumably, would boost metabolism. In Sandow's era they drank it as a prepared mixture.

I would seriously take what that user is saying with a grain of salt. Sandow's system of physical training is freely available on the net, it was THE book that popularised free weights. In it he recommends a great deal of high rep work (50 reps each arm dumbbell curls to be increased by 5 reps each day, followed by 25 reps of a different curling motion to be increased by 2 reps each day, one of his success stories is from a boy that started out doing 37 pushups and soon was proficient enough to do 150 pushups and so on ad nauseum). High rep work is his version of a beginner routine that you would perform each day with high reps in preperation for heavier work.

Seriously, google it, download it, check out the chapter on lightweight exercises. It's pages 133 to 145 in my copy, half of those are photos showing exercise form.

Sandow made loads of money selling insecure teens light dumbells, so his 'public' recommended training reflected this.

In reality Sandow lifted big weights. Google 'Professor Attila' and you'll find descriptions of Sandow's real lifting regimen.

Funnily enough, Sandow/Arnie have yet another similarity: like Joe Weider Attila was a gay jew who took the young bodybuilder under his wing.

>Well Veeky Forums ? Explain yourselves.
It's literally genetics.

1. HORMONAL PROFILE
2. SKELETAL STRUCTURE
3. SLOW/FAST TWITCH RATIO

Your autistic routines are basically worthless ie. it doesn't matter if you do x amount of sets or just lift until you feel tired, drink your protein shake in 30 minutes window period, etc, the end result will be the same. If you eat/sleep enough your body will adapt to the stimulus until it reaches the plateau. No amount of personalized training plans, meme diets and other bullshit that fitness industry tries to sell to you will move that plateau, only anabolic steroids and being born to the different parents.

Whether Sandow really did this or that, nearly every famous strong man in the first couple of decades of the 20th Century worked from that book. Prior to Sandow's influence it's all Indian clubs and gymnastics too.

>dumkunt

Here is '700lbs+ 1 arm deadlift' Hermann Goerner's training from 1905:

>Tuesday –
>1.) Curl & Press with Kettlebells: Approximately 10 sets, going from 55 lbs. to 110 lbs. in 5½ lb. jumps (2½ kilo) jumps. These were done very strictly – usually only 1 or 2 reps with each arm, working up quickly to the 110 lb. bells.
>2.) Clean & Military Press: Approximately 8 sets of 3 to 5 reps, going from 198 to 264 in 22 lb. jumps, doing 2 sets with each weight.
>3.) One Hand Swing with Kettlebells: Approximately 8 sets (4 with each arm) beginning with 110 and sometimes going as high as 254 (using two kettlebells grasped in one hand).
>4.) Deadlift: Usually 6 to 8 sets, never exceeding 3 reps. He usually began with 440 lbs. (200 kilos) and worked up to almost 800 lbs. Often he would do his lighter sets without a hook, or with only three fingers on each hand, or two, or only one.
>Source: Goerner’s Training by Terry Todd/Charles Smith

KEK dat German niqqa was seriously using baby weights for 75 reps like Sandow preached to dumb rubes like u

there's a high chance sandows wasn't natty. he literally appeared from nowhere just as steroids started to pop up

yo your posts in this thread are great, thanks

when will people understand? they did BENT PRESS back then.
BENT PRESS = GAINS
no BENT PRESS = no GAINS
I really don't see what's so hard to understand about this.

dubs of truth, also forgot pic.
JUST LOOK AT THAT

The Bent Press ain't miraculous, that's just more Pavel propaganda. Consider: did Alekseyev ever bent press? No fucking way. But he pressed 500lbs with only 20mg of Dianabol per day.

The Bent Press, however, allows one to use loads of weight in one hand. However it isn't a missing link.

I was joking mane. The lift looks goofy af and I never did it. Also I fail to see how it would elicit any significant hypertrophy anywhere.
Wait, so that's what Pavel meant by "lateral press" in "power to the people"? I kinda skimmed through it t b h. Surprising to know some people still do it.

I'm reading Sandow's "Strength, How to Obtain It" right now and he's full of shit. In his "Samson" story he says he lifted a 612lb ball with only his middle finger, lifted a 240lb barbell from the floor over his head with one hand, held a 240lb dumbell straight-armed in front of him while pumping a 100lb dumbell over his head, etc.

If his stories are utter bullshit, then I can't believe anything he says about how he trains either.

who do you think you are

ancient e-statting

Two eternal truths about the bodybuilding world:

>1. It's all lies, fake, and smoke and mirrors.
>2. Everyone involved is a fag.

Coincidentally, when Sandow died his English wife buried him at an unmarked grave and then her and her childred were never buried next to him. The lasting rumor is that she did this because Sandow had dropped dead early from complications of arising from catching syphilis from buggering/being buggered by men.

pavel glosses over the bent press but he never advocates it in PTTP. the press he calls for is a one arm barbell OHP.

You seem mentally handicaped, fatty.

>this one dude...
Now, I wasn't claiming that everyone followed it. It seems like a good moment to point out that Hackenschmidt did his own thing as well, and that guy is more of an influence on Tsatsouline than anyone else mentioned so far by quite a way. But to act like Sandow wasnt way more influential across Europe and most of the English speaking world is riidiculous. To also claim that everybody worth their salt didn't do high rep work because they sometimes did low rep is equally ridiculous. Most of the old school names mentioned thus far insisted on various forms of high rep work in addition to some low rep work.

>mostly heavy triples
yeah, but they didn't just do 5x3 and called it a day. They did high as fuck volume.

Males had much higher testosterone levels back then.

/thread

I blame plastic

This is also true. Gorner did 8 sets of 3 most days for diddly.