Self Improvement is masturbation

>Self Improvement is masturbation
>Now self destruction on the other hand...

What was meant by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zvtUrjfnSnA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

chuck phalinuck is a defeatist commie. just ignore it.

His name is robert paulson

>makes fun of calvin clein models
>goes out of his way to look like a calvin clein model

really got the noggin joggin

He's also gay as shit.

Nothing wrong with being gay, but I don't think men should take tips on being a man from a fag.

>self-improvement is masturbation
>so don't lift or read books or build anything or have a family

>read my writing instead

I still can't believe people don't know Fight Club is an ironic parody of all the Fred Durst tier fuccbois out there that were inspired by it.

god fucking dammit, most of Veeky Forums really is dumb as shit.

Not a fan of this ideology by any means but he's implying that self improvement is pretty much running in a hamster wheel because no amount of it really gets you anywhere meaningful in life, whereas self destruction (literally giving up on life) is a form of freedom.

you don't have to agree with the main characters' decisions or opinions to enjoy a movie user

please explain was it just irony that the layman couldn't get?

>implying masturbation is bad
Both lead you to the same end so there's no difference

AAH the duality of Veeky Forums
>Veeky Forums says fittbrad body can only be obtained by 'dont eat and dont lift'
>which equates to self destruction
>make a thread like this
> happens

The line wasn't in the book, though

Almost as if there was a bunch of different people posting here.

brad pitt is the imagination of how a man should be in the narrators mind.

a body of a calvin klein model, tough, reckless, attractive, a potent fucker that can pleasure a women like it is as easy as plumbing and more than everything, free in any way he the narrator is not, doing just deeds for the 'imprisoned society' (e.g. erasing debt).

tyler durden is a mockery of his own wishes, a self inflicted irony.

>What was meant by this?

Self-cbt.

In the long run, this is an entirely damaging philosophy

Not that it's not without it's benefits

Whole Palahniuk ideology in this book is based on westernized version of zen.

It means that wasting your time trying to fit into westernized ideal man to picture is a waste of time

Veeky Forums equivalent for this quote would be
>Lifting for womyn, any year

The thing is, movie cut big part of book zen parts and made it edgelord kino.

> Stop trying to control everything and just let go! LET GO!

Book is full of interesting examples, everyday you can see people that cry because something went wrong, something out of control fucked up and they are mad or people who spend endless hours analyzing possible future situations that may or may not occur.

>This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Quotes like those feels especially real on places like 4chin where majority of people spend their life in basements fapping and fighting with their own fucked up head. Many of them still dream that one day their life will change and they will start live their life, because right now they are only observers of life, they do not participate.

>I don't think men should take tips on being a man from a fag.
That's where you're wrong, kiddo

>Many of them still dream that one day their life will change and they will start live their life, because right now they are only observers of life, they do not participate.
did not ask

>Quotes like those feels especially real on places like 4chin where majority of people spend their life in basements fapping and fighting with their own fucked up head
Dubs of pain

The book has some interesting thoughts though

“I felt like putting a bullet between the
eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species.
I wanted to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all the French beaches I'd never see.
I wanted to breathe smoke.”

agree, the book is incredibly inspirational and not in a socially acceptable oprah way. i think stoic philosophy fits it better

P sure those are the deadpan eyes of minimum wage employees who have been standing in the sun all day

>all these people who didn't read the book trying to understand this quote
in context it is not real "self-improvement" he's referring to, but the bullshit that's more like self-improvement-to-impress-others like getting a promotion or buying furniture

Too make a strong superstructure, you have to first destroy the old foundation. You cannot build wtc over your 3 storeyed house. It will come crashing down

Self improvement feels good, just like masturbation. But just like masturbation, in the end, you haven't really achieved anything. As in masturbation, you haven't achieved "real sex". As in self-improvement, in the end you're going to die anyways.

Self destruction is setting yourself free. Free from the masses, and free to do whatever you want to. Self destruction will eventually cause you to have nothing. Which relates to the scene added below as a YouTube video.

youtube.com/watch?v=zvtUrjfnSnA

Ask yourself, if everyone and everything you love died. Would you care about anything/anyone in the world? Probably not.

Thus having absolutely nothing means you have it all aka you're free to do whatever.

It's a book you fucking retard

even palahniuk has said the movie is way better than the book.

I haven't read that book, but I've read other books by palahniuk and based on them I find it easy to believe

DELETE THIS

delet

the entire point of this fucking movie was that Durden was a gigantic hypocrite and his way of thinking was flawed

that's why the main character gets freed from him
jesus people did you even watch it

>the entire point of this is my opinion

There's plenty wrong with being gay

I don't think you understood the film.

Some of his quotes are bertty good
>We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we won't.

>And then, something happened. I let go. Lost in oblivion. Dark and silent and complete. I found freedom. Losing all hope was freedom.

>Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. To impress people we don't like.

Just wait until you start having reunions. Brother had his college reunion over the weekend and literally was bitching over a woman he dated 12 years ago. Keep in mind his wife is hot now and they have 4 kids. He was there pining over some middle aged married woman with kids just because she was hot a decade ago. WTF...

Men really do hold onto shit longer than women.

The book was great. I wasn't into the movie once they started becoming terrorists though. Great zen references though

In theory sure, in reality it just becomes a nihlistic pursuit of risk. Now risk is not always bad( see nassim talib antifragile), however the risks that taylor starts taking at the end of the movie can lead to serouise self harm and imprisonment. Hamperring freedom alot.

that gif kek