Does weight loss translate to fat loss?

Does weight loss translate to fat loss?

So I've been trying to eat less. Not using any kind of calorie counting or anything, just eating less than usual and drinking non sugary drinks.

I've lost about 5-6 pounds, but I don't notice any change in my appearance.

Other urls found in this thread:

boxofhealth.net/2017/05/04/should-you-try-a-low-carb-diet/
argos.co.uk/product/6197467
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You are probably pretty fat honestly, hard to notice 5-6 pounds when you are gigafat

Yes.
But since you've obviously just started a good portion of that will be water. So you've in fact lost about a poundish of fat plus 4 or more pounds of water and various other body wastes.
Good on you.
Stay the course.

Trust the scale, not the mirror. Apperance changes are very subtle when losing weight. And yes, you're losing fat, not the amazing Greek statue you imagine underneath all your fat.

Im not terribly fat mate. I'm overweight, but I'm still only a Large in shirt size. Not XL or anything.

I've heard you lose muscle too when losing weight. How do I avoid that happening?

I'm too self conscious to go to the gym, tbqh. How else do I keep any muscle I have?

I don't want a Greek statue. To be honest, my primary reason is that I really want to lose weight off of my face. I'm not really concerned with being terribly toned.

If you're fat and don't go to the gym you barely have any muscle to lose, it'll make no difference.

If you don't use your muscles you'll lose them, period. Now get over your silly insecurities get on a program and hit the gym, you sound like a little girl.
If you don't do that you'll still look like a fat flabby mess with your shirt off and we don't want that now do we?

plenty of fatasses that go to a gym continue to not have muscle.
Plenty of skinny fats continue to not have muscle either.

What are you talking about? That's completely irrelevant to the conversation.

you lose muscle before fat.
your body's only goal is survival. if you eat less than your body uses it starts to "eat itself" to lower it's need for energy. maintaining muscle takes more energy than maintaining fat reserves. therefore your body's first reaction is to break down muscle.

obviously in practice you lose both, but more muscle than fat. the way to avoid this is to work out while cutting and eating lots of protein. that way your body figures it needs the muscles and goes for fat instead.

this is a simplification using layman's terms since you don't seem very educated on nutrition but the basic ideas are scientific facts.

read the fucking sticky, idiot

Untrue. Are you fucking retarded?

First is Glycogen, then Fat, then Muscle if you aren't getting an adequate amount of protein in your diet(0.8g per lb of lean mass)

Your body does not quickly catabolize muscle unless your are a hard gainer to begin with. Literally go look and learn about fasting you fucking autist. So sick of people spreading misinformation.

literally untrue. also stop sperging on the internet
>getting mad on an anime image board

I'm not going to the gym.

How else?

I don't care about all that nutrition shit, I just want simple rules to follow.

I don't have time to be reading up on that shit.

Take progress pictures every 2 weeks or something. Compare through that. Even if the scale number isn't moving the body can slim down.

well I already posted you very simple rules

eat less calories than your body uses:
weight goes down

no exercise and low protein:
lose more muscle than fat

exercise and protein:
lose more fat than muscle

dumbed down enough for you?

The issue at hand is quite the opposite. The scale number is moving, but I have noticed no change.

water weight

How am I supposed to know how many calories my body uses?

Most foods containing protein seem unhealthy though. Burgers, steaks, sausages etc. Also, how do I exercise to lose fat rather than muscle without going to the gym? Push ups?

>learn about fasting
no thank you I'm not retarded

So I'm doing something wrong?

It says this on the internet though:

>Additionally, your body metabolically prefers to preserve lean body mass and, when possible, breaks down fat stores for fuel as much as possible. Only when your fat stores are extremely low or depleted does your body have to then break down protein.

for an accurate result you count the calories you consume and track your weight
for an estimate there's plenty of TDEE calculators online

burgers (I assume you dont just mean the patty but the whole burger) and sausages have much more fat than protein. for protein you want to eat something like chicken breast or cottage cheese. nealy everything has some protein, the point is to find foods which give you enough protein (about 1g per 1lbs of body weight) within your daily calories. so say you weigh 220 lbs you want at least 200g of protein in about 2000kcal which means 800 calories (40%) out of the 2000 need to be protein

you can do body weight exercises if you want but joining a gym is ten times easier and gets you better results faster

your muscles break themselves down even if you arent on a calorie deficit. if you don't use them your body considers them dead weight

no, losing water weight is a standard first reaction to cutting daily calorie (and especially carb) intake. it's the reason why idiots think their new diet is super effective when they lose 4 pounds in 2 weeks but then stagnate and lose interest

I'll stick with body weight exercises then.

it's better than nothing

Yes, the body does prefer to preserve lean body mass. It can't do that if you're not getting in protein.

I don't see why a gym would be any better, tbph.

Either way I'm lifting weights in some fashion.

do you have a full set of dumb bells and plates at home? if so then it doesn't make a difference obviously but if not then there's a very limited amount of exercises you can do and plenty you can't do at all because they require resistance

If I don't have time to cook, what foods should I go for that don't have many calories?

I could buy some.

Why is lifting dumbbells any better than lifting some other heavy weight?

you have time to post on a japanese image board, you have time to cook you lazy fat fuck

eat quark or cottage cheese straight from the container

Bodyweight fitness.
At home gym.
Redefining your priorities.

what do you mean other heavy weight? lifting rocks? dumb bells are shaped in a way that allows for a reliable grip and ease of motion when doing almost any exercise imaginable because they were made for that purpose

You're an exceptionally rude individual, mate.

There's just no need for it. Aside from weekends, I'm fairly busy. I'm not sacrificing my career just so I can cook some special bloody fish.

Yeah, rocks or wood. I have loads of dense wood in bags lying around in the loft.

meal prep fatso

What do you get out of being rude? What the hell is meal prep?

I either buy ready made meals or I get someone to make them for me. It's a really simple concept you can't seem to grasp.

That's why I asked what ready made meals I can buy that are low in calories and contain enough protein.

look up any basic dumb bell exercise like bicep curls or deltoid flies. now imagine doing them while holding big ass rocks. keep in mind that rocks have a much lesser density than iron so it would actually need to be much larger than the dumb bells you see in those example videos. you would basically need a rock shaped like a dumb bell to pull it off, those don't exist in nature.

This.
Op hasn't even tried to do a google search about weight loss.
There's no point in answering that kind of OP. He's expected to be spoonfed all the work.

>That's why I asked what ready made meals I can buy that are low in calories and contain enough protein.
they don't exist. all frozen dinners are loaded with fat and carbs.

if you're "too busy to cook" you better get used to eating oats and cottage cheese from the container or get used to being a fatty

Why are those preferable to literally just lifting things up and down? By what mechanism do they build muscle faster?

You're just rude mate.

They don't have to be bloody frozen, they just need to be ready made.

because your body has more than one muscle. lifting stuff up and down would basically only train your front deltoids

Yeah, but how noticeable are the other muscles?

I don't mind letting them waste if they're just peripheral.

I'm not rude and I'm not joking. Our bodies have evolved during a time when there was a desparate need for quick calories. Fats and carbs have those. Thus they "taste good" and that's why ready made meals are loaded full of them so people buy them.

If you want healthy food you need to make it yourself, find a place that specializes in such a thing or just eat ingredients from the container with a spoon which is not a culinary experience but it's quick and effective. Ready made meals with good nutritional value do not exist.

front deltoid is a peripheral

Right, but people used to have large biceps prior to the invention of adjustable dumbbells. How did they achieve that?

Yes, but we also have a desire to maintain a healthy weight. Therefore, there must be ready meals made to cater to that market.

We're not slaves to our base desires, so I don't see why every single ready meal would necessarily have to be packed full of calories. People are willing to sacrifice taste in order to remain healthy.

i have read a lot on this subject and i came to the conclusion that the best diet is keto diet, a lot of experts say that our bodies are used to hunter-gatherer, and that fasting is also normal for humans. i would suggest trying keto diet or low carb diet, as it focuses on burning fat as energy source instead of carbs,the only catch is to do 20-50g a day of carbs. you can google this there are a lot of recipes and stuff on this subject. if you like you can have a look here on this site i found, there are many more tho so i suggest googling
boxofhealth.net/2017/05/04/should-you-try-a-low-carb-diet/

no not really. look up old pictures from the time camera was invented. their only impressive muscles are really the lats which come from farm work, pulling tools through the soil. those "old school bodybuilders" used dumb bells. it's not a new invention.

So you're saying the only possible way to have decent biceps is through the use of dumbbels?

Also, I'm not really concerned with gaining much muscle, I just want to preserve what I do have.

there aren't. they don't taste as good as their carb and fat loaded competitors.
>People are willing to sacrifice taste in order to remain healthy.
indeed, that's why they stop buying ready made meals.

you overestimate how many people even glance at the nutritional facts on the label. so few that it's not a viable business strategy. go look at the dinners in your local supermarket and take a picture if any of them have 40% of their calories coming from protein

Enough, the bait has gone on long enough. stop adding fuel to this "discussion"! If he actually cared, everything he would need to know is in the sticky.

dumb bells, barbells or cables yeah pretty much, preferrably all three

the only difference between gaining muscle and maintaining muscle is your diet. the exercise stays the same

So I'm essentially consigned to eating bland food?

What about Coke Zero and other zero-sugar soft drinks? I mean, they contain non-saccharides so surely they're okay.

Well, in order to buy cables I'd need to move around my leisure activity stuff so I'll just buy some dumbbells. Barbells look a bit intimidating so I'll give them a miss.

if you dont want to cook. if you're willing to cook and/or meal prep you can use spices, herbs and vegetables to make delicious and healthy food without hurting the nutritional values. if you want something you can buy from the store and eat as is it's going to be bland.

I know little about diet soda. I know there's something about the sweeteners triggering your insulin or something and fucking up with your metabolism. The only thing I know for sure is you're better of drinking water. Though you should be drinking lots of water even if you deink soda. But no they don't contain calories.

Well if you learned how to cook you wouldn't be eating bland food

>What about Coke Zero and other zero-sugar soft drinks?
Those aren't okay at all. The amount of chemicals shoved into those are not healthy for you whatsoever, just because it has 'zero sugar' written on it doesn't make it any less bad for you.

I could order these, they start at 5kg and go up in 2.5kg increments. Is that a good place to start?

argos.co.uk/product/6197467

I don't mind them being bad for me, I just don't want them to put on weight.

looks decent. 32kg is not very high if you plan on doing db press but they'll be good for starters and for a number of other exercises until eternity.

as far as diet soda goes it's better to not drink it, but if they help you stick to an otherwise healthy diet and keep your spirits up it's a much lesser evil than most. keep in mind I don't really believe in the fear of chemicals and artificial ingredients so others might not agree

also get a solid bench. a real training bench is ideal but some sort of hard solid wood bench can work. just dont try to do exercises on a chair or a stool or the edge of your bed etc. it needs to be rock solid and not give in or budge

We have a monks bench that's pretty solid if I remove the cover.

I'm not going to lie, this is largely my gf's idea. I mean, she didn't explicitly say anything but she keeps suggesting I eat healthier and shit.

So, I'm not wholly into it. I just want her to turn back into the raving nympho she was when I was in shape a year or so ago.

idk what pretty solid means but if it shakes or adjusts when you try to shuffle on it it's not ideal

Jesus fuck OP. You obviously didn't read the sticky and refuse to do it. Besides this, all of these people are giving you advice and you're just making excuses. Get the fuck off of Veeky Forums and stay fat forever you mong.

You're never gonna make it with this mindset buddy. Stop losing your time (and ours), and gtfo.

OP, you are being pretty obstinate. The fact is, being/looking fit is going to take sacrifice on your part. Actual sacrifice: doing things you don't want to do. It's honestly not the case that we're withholding some secret tips to improve. Anyone who was rude to you in this thread was driven there by impatience at your unwillingness to accept this.

dude I'm a big guy proportion wise and I wear a small shirt after losing all my fat

OP, you are piece of shit of a human being. You ask a fucking retarded question, people give you some honest answers, but you act like a little bitch that you are - "im not going to gym, period", "i cant be bothered to read all of that, period". Stop whining then, you cocksucker

>I just want her to turn back into the raving nympho she was when I was in shape a year or so ago.

Yeah, she kinda wants you to stop being a fatass. Anyway, if she knows whats good for her, she will dump your fat ass and fuck behind your back with Chad.

research has shown eating anything thats sweet tasting but sugar free or drinking triggers effects in your body which essentially cause you to convert more of it to fat as your body is assuming its gonna get a load of sugar.

would your body really not adjust if you drank only diet soda say for 10 years or something?

No chance of her dumping me mate.

I'm not "fat" anyway, just not in shape.

all I can say is from my personal experience, I was trying to lose weight for a while and constantly drinking pepsi max but I ended up just weak as fuck and just as flabby at the end of it

>I don't notice any change

Here's a photo of someone holding a model of five pounds of fat. It looks big. That's because it's all in one wad. You're imagining spot reduction: the wad of fat attached to your belly, then disappearing. But there's no such thing as spot reduction and that isn't how the body distributes fat.

Imagine this instead: the wad of fat rolled thin and flat, like a pancake, and wrapped around your whole body with only certain areas being a little thicker than others. When you lose weight, the pancake becomes thinner uniformly (yep, even in the thicker spots) as it disappears. You won't see a difference until you lose multiple layers of pancakes.

Wait a minute..... Is this boogie?