Is the whole "belts are a meme" a meme?

Is the whole "belts are a meme" a meme?

I bought a cheeky SBD belt and now I've broken it in my squats feel amazing and so much tighter.

On a similar note knee sleeves are also brilliant.

a 3pl8 squat with a belt and sleeves = 2pl8 without

oh right

dont listen to anyone who tells you not to wear a belt op. the people who do that are larpers whove never touched a weight in their lives. they get all their info from facebook/ig memes

a belt is literally the best thing you can buy to help you progress in lifting

it literally doesnt

no that's not even close

445 belted squat, 405 beltless

Using belts:
>increases (temporarily) your max
>epitome of safety when doing squats/deads
>abs are tightly packed and are worked better (t. Mark Rippletits-Starting Strength)
Not using belts:
>naturally build your back up alongside your legs, no risk of injury down the road because imbalance
>you honesty look cooler not needing to strap on a belt before lifting
>real life situation comes and you don't have your belt; you risk lower back injury---belts are a crutch

Don't use a belt IMO but do what oh want

>Can squat 2 pl8 ez without a belt
>with a belt, squat 3 pl8
What did he mean by ?

I like my belt, the only reason not to use it is feeling like a goober squatting 2pl8 with a belt.

You literally gave no counter evidence and made no argument. Sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up or actually say something useful

1. using a belt does not prevent you from building up your back, nor is there a risk of injury if your legs are stronger than back
2. you look cooler with more plates on the bar too
3. you will have more muscle and strength due to the heavier loads permitted by belted training, so you'll be better off

no reason not to use a belt if you're serious about your lifting

a belt doesnt cause imbalances at all

the fact that youre lifting less weight automatically means you look less impressive. and looking impressive in the gym isnt important anyway. you wear a belt to keep yourself safe and get the most out of the movement

in real life situations you will never lift anything close to your DL/squat max so it doesnt matter. if you do warm ups beltless you wont "forget" how to brace irl

there is literally no reason not to wear a belt

why not work out your core and back?

I do high rep beltless stuff still

okay. my evidence is that I squat 175kg with a belt and 160 without. 15kg difference not 40

Belts feel good man

sure mark of someone who doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about, and probably doesn't even lift

why even put your opinion down in writing and waste precious Veeky Forums megabits if you're a dumb weak little faggot?

Wearing a belt to lift is not a meme. Ignore the internet tough guys here.
Paying $200 for a weightlifting belt is however, though.

>prevent you from building your lower back
I never said that. I simply stated an imbalance will happen. Belts are a crutch.
>look cooler with more plates on the bar too
Pic related. You can get to any weight without a belt that you could with one. Sure you get there faster, but not by much.
>you will have more muscle and strength due to heavier loads permitted by belted training
Belts don't "permit" anything. Only permits feeling good cause your max increases by 30 lbs

People who life with belts and knee sleeves a memeing pl fags who don't got the core strength to lift properly.

you're deadlifting less than I did at 17, and you're giving out lifting advice? you need to buckle down and get to the big boy weights before you come around here spouting off like you know anything (you don't, you're stupid)

youre 4pl8 dl isnt impressing anyone lad

once you get some more experience youll see youre wrong

Use the belt if you're lifting heavy. I always do for squats and deadlifts. Strangely enough I don't use it for Romanian deadlifts or good mornings (which seem like more of an open invitation to snap city) but I also obviously don't use remotely as heavy weight for those exercises.

Your back will thank you. Don't look at it as a "back brace." It gives something for your abdominals to push against for a more secure core when you're lifting unholy heavy shit. I don't believe it will significantly negatively effect the development of your lower back muscles, which will mean fuck-all anyway with a slipped disk.

Didn't used to wrap my knees, but god damn that's a help as well after a point. One of mine is kinda rough from bmx back in the day, and it feels a fuck of a lot better/safer that way.

>that's me
Alright buddy, that's a picture I found on the net to show that you don't need a belt to get to anything. You gave no counter argument except attacking a picture and flaunting your strength at 17. Which of course I should believe correct?

>TFW beltless squat is literally 1pl8 above belted squat

Fucking belts throwing me off my groove.

not an argument

>belts are a crutch
>shows a picture using straps
kek

We aren't talking about straps now are we? (Which are also a crutch)

your claim that any weight is achievable beltless with enough time is just flat out incorrect. your evidence was someone lifting a relatively light weight most people CAN do beltless. it doesnt prove you can move any serious weight beltless

whats your training age and max beltless squat/DL? I guarantee you are relatively new to lifting if you think this shit

>STRAPS
it seems rather strange to me advocating belts as cruchtes and ego lifting while posting that pic

At what weight i should consider wearing belt? My current work sets at squats are 95kg 5x5

>belts
>knee sleeves

My squat poundage increased exponentially when I bought a forklift truck.

whether or not you should wear a belt has nothing to do with weight on the bar

its more to do with how seriously you take lifting. if its important enough for you to spend money on a belt. then you should buy one. simple as that

>Is the whole "belts are a meme" a meme?

It is, honestly everyone telling everyone here to lift without any kind of safety aid is just trying to look tough. Belts, straps, wraps, use them to your heart's content, better that then a trip to snap city to impress a bunch of autists on a Ghanan goat-herding imageboard.

opinions on a good belt - something I can order on Amazon?

I prefer belts, makes it easier to keep my core tight and focus on other aspects of the lift. I also have a niggling lower back injury and it seems to feel better when I'm belted than not. It does make it more difficult to do some lifts depending on the belt you have. I always wear mine for yokes, farmers and any strongman movement or highland throws

budget? country?

if youre poor, strength shop do decent belts

>Is the whole "belts are a meme" a meme?
Yes it is.
I train beltless most of the time, but there's absolutely no reason to not use a belt when doing any type of (near) maxing at low reps.

no budget (not a poorfag), US

titan longhorn (quick release)
wahlander (quick release)
inzer forever belt (lever)

Id recommend a quick release personally, but the inzer gets recommend the most by others

nice - thanks for the deets, user

A belt has its uses

I personally dont use a belt most of the time, usually when lifting +90% of my 1RM I do

obviously if you train with a belt the entire time you will grow dependant on it and wont be able to hit certain numbers without

You do realize you need to be 18 to post here right?
>fuck
>fuck
>if I say it enough maybe they'll think I'm an adult