What is a milestone for being considered an "ok" runner? Like 1/2/3//4; not a big deal but impressive to normies. 5k?

What is a milestone for being considered an "ok" runner? Like 1/2/3//4; not a big deal but impressive to normies. 5k?

Other urls found in this thread:

results.active.com/events/human-race-sonoma-county--5/10k-age-group
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump.

One 6 min mile or a 20 min 3 mile

fuck what normies think. they know even less than Veeky Forums

two common 'decent' goals for long distance running are a

13:00 or under 2 mile. Under 12 is really good.

I don't know much about short distance but I suppose sub 1min 15 sec 400 meter, sub 6 min mile, sub 19 min 5k and a 1.5 hr half marathon would probably be equal to 1/2/3/4

I would say 5k in 20 minutes is very impressive by normie standard. That's 15 km/h for 20 minutes, 95% of guys over 20 can't pull it off.
By runners standards you're a DYER.

>1/2/3//4; not a big deal but impressive to normies
DELET

Tiers for running 5k
Barely running tier: under 21 minutes
At least you finished ahead of most joggers tier: 19:30
Would be competative hs girl: under 18 minutes
No longer laughable: undet 17 minutes
Kind of fit: under 16 minutes
Going to make it one day: under 15
Made it as an amateur: mid 14's
Pro level: around 13 minutes

This times are beyond decent, they're in the good range.
We

i got to a 1:28 HM with trash self-made programming that amounted to "run fixed distances like 15km as hard as you can every time you head out for a run" and i've found the path to 1/2/3/4 to be longer and harder (and i'm still not there: 60kg/97.5kg/135kg/160kg). maybe Veeky Forumsizens memeing 1/2/3/4 as being merely 'decent' has distorted things

Approx Mile splits for each tier (5k is 3.1 miles)
7:00 = running
6:30 = faster than joggers
6:00 = fast for hs girl
5:40 = keeping a straight face when i hear your time somehow
5:10 = ok pace
Upper 4's = gonna maek it
made it = 4:30
Pro = rly fast

The 5k world record is 12:37. 13 minutes would have won the last Olympics on a track. Plenty of Olympians put up times longer than 14 minutes.

It's it fun to make up numbers?

>around 13 minutes
>around
>qualifying time for olympic 5000 metres
>13:28.00
pretty close to 13 imho
13:03 won it

1:28 is barely fast for hs girl tier imho

5k in 30 minutes is a realistic beginner starting goal. That's like deadlifting your own bodyweight; anyone with some experience can call it "easy", but it's a milestone nonetheless.

An experienced, top-level amateur will do a 5k in 15 minutes. Do not compare yourself to olympic/professional times, that's fucking stupid.

no it fucking isn't
25 minutes if you aren't a paraplegic with asthma
a milestone is going out and running a 5k in 30 minutes and realizing you're out of shape
you don't hit another milestone until you actually have done something about it

>one 6 min mile
This is my current goal desu
When I started running, it took 8 minutes to do a mile. My current PR is 6:56

I'm going to make it some day...r-right?

Like anything on Veeky Forums, when people post their arbitrarily made up tier times/weights, it is with Captain America as the sample subject.

If you can run a 5k in under 25 that's pretty ok. Most average 'fit' people, especially if they're primarily gym bros will struggle to keep a 8 min/mile pace for a little under 3 miles.

>beginner goal

results.active.com/events/human-race-sonoma-county--5/10k-age-group
here's a 12 y/o girl who ran two 24 minute 5k back to back

The biggest factor in the mile is your pacing. Work on running 1:30 400s. Just practice these over and over. Aim for like 6-8 for a workout with like minute or so breaks in between. Once you get used to the pace you'll feel more comfortable running it. Most people start a mile waaaaayyyy to fast and die the second half. Set a steady even pace and you'll have it!

>beginner

the other user isn't saying it's a good time. it's a "milestone". one of the first. people should then run to the next one

Wow it's almost like 12 year old girls are fucking tiny

>I never ran high school track the post

Thank you for the tip
I'll give it a try
But what you said about pacing is something I've already noticed. My PR was set on a run that initially I thought was going shit, but once I finished I realised that because I didn't kill myself in the first 1000 metres, I could handle the last 600m well

ffs there isn't a set beginner time
there isn't a goal other than to finish
oh but I did user
I fell into the no longer laughable category

and look at the many adults who are running 10 minute miles: a 30 minute 5k.

they're doing that so they can tell their friends that they ran a 5k
which is dubious

for 5k anything below 20min is impressive to normies because it's a round number and it's low, most people can't run a 5k in under 25+ minutes. I ran a 19:27 at a local 5k just as training, not even a full on effort because I had to swim after and then gym before bed, the race organizer and some of the girls volunteering were impressed

what are you and i even arguing about? i'm not asserting that there are discrete categories like 'beginner' (cf. )

a

yeah ok
what if they miss it?
what if they hit 25 minutes on the first go?
if they miss it they will feel bad
if they hit 25 they'll think the person who set the bar at 30 was conning them

>That's like deadlifting your own bodyweight
This is doable on the first day unless you're fat. Not even memeing

i should've made it clearer that when i said 'can be thought of [...] as a first goal', i meant that it could be a self-set goal; obviously that ought to be commensurate with the person's capabilities. if someone weighs 200kg, then a

I'm sub 16
in highschool I would have been 16:50~
some collegiate athletes will run 31 minute 10k the first time they race that event

I'm trying to quantify tiers of running prowess so you know how good you should feel about yourself about running for any given time with an arbitrary amount of preparation for a specified distance

in reality you should let the people you're running with dictate the pace. stick with them for as long as you can and if they drop you, get familiar with the people coming up from behind you
in a 5000 meter, if you're paying attention, you ought to know if you're pushing too hard within 30 seconds of starting out. a mile can be just as fatiguing as two or 26. in every unseeded race you run assume that there will be at least 20 people capable of running a pace you couldn't maintain for 1/8 of the set distance, so if you go out with the top 20 as they pull away from the rest of the field, be prepared to learn a hard lesson about your aerobic limitations.

Post current PR miles
>5:53 for me
Trying to get to 5 but I've been slacking recently

I sprint half miles it increased my mile time by a lot. I also sprint miles to improve my 1.5 miles for the Navy PRT. Currently at around a 950 on that

the only distance impressive to normies is a marathon

I could run a 1:15 400 with no background in running or sports... under 65 would be a better standard

It's a lot of pacing. My PR back when i did track was 5:32 which wasn't very good for the track team, but ive never been super athletic so i thought it was neat

Normies are pathetic dude. Telling them you run one straight mile will impress them.