What are limits of omnipotence? If everything is possible, is it possible for something to be impossible?

What are limits of omnipotence? If everything is possible, is it possible for something to be impossible?

Omnipotence is a paradox.
But it's okay cause it doesn't exist.

Yes
No

>What are limits of omnipotence?
You can do everything as long as it isn't unlogical like creating a rock that you cannot carry or removing your own omnipotence.

basically this
omnipotence, like infinity, is merely a concept

Omnipotence is a self-contradictory concept. Normally, when we find such a term, like "married bachelor", our reaction is to say "oh, that's logically impossible, therefore it can't exist", but when it comes to omnipotence, instead we say "oh that's impossible, TRULY GOD IS GREAT!!11!!"

Human imagination

A married bachelor can certainly exist in a open relationship you fucking retard

You guys are dumb. God (an omnipotent being) can be as paradoxical as He wants, and make reality as paradoxical as He wants. There is NO limit. God has continually been pushing the boundaries of what He can do for eternity, and will never stop. Or will stop forever and keep continuing, because paradox.

/thread.

There are no limits to omnipotence.
It transcends thought, logic, conception, boundaries and all perspective.
An omnipotent being can make a rock it can't lift, yet simultaneously lift it without violating the conditions.
It's far too ineffable to comprehend for anything non omnipotent due to its nature of transcending perspective.

Azathoth is a mere puppet

The true God is Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth is a mere facet of Azathoth's dream and when Azathoth wakes up, all will be Azathoth once more

>you will never hear the cosmic tooter

>It transcends thought, logic, conception
>It's far too ineffable to comprehend

It would blow your tiny mind

Retard's argument

None, the concept of logic is just that a concept to an omnipotent, they can do anything possible, impossible or unpossible.

Yes, saying that if something transcends logic, it necessarily exists and is beyond reproach is a retard's argument. I agree.

The limits of omnipotence are only applicable to his own mercy.

That is literally the best answer you will find in this thread and answer any questions you have. Anyone trying to rationalize God without human qualities is a retard, because we were made in his image.

Have you thought that maybe your conception of God is nonsensical? after all you are merely claiming that he is real, when people doubt what you say they are merely doubting you, not God himself so it's not inherently arrogant or stupid.

I can't believe it's 2018 and you idiots are still bound by duality.

Considering the events that have occurred, I believe it rather foolish not to.

But if your heart is closed, you will learn when you die.

Excuse me for thinking that the law of non-contradiction is necessary for forming coherent abstractions

You're talking about infinite power, infinite potential; contradictions are not limits, there are no limits.

Yog-Sothoth is outside of "reality" unlike Azathot who lie at its center, and the bit of strength he showed(merely the tip of the iceberg) is already equal to Azathoth.

But infinite power must abide by the laws of logic, if it is to exist, because whatever exists must be conceivable. A contradiction cannot exist. Aquinas, Augustine, Descartes, Spinoza, Kant, etc. are of the same opinion on this point. Anyone I have ever run into touting the argument, "lol it's infinite power bro god can like lift the rock and not lift it at the same time *rips bong*" has been a brainlet.

>But infinite power must abide by the laws of logic

Infinite power abides by nothing, do you not understand what infinite means? Never-ending power and potentiality. If it had limits it would not be infinite, i.e limitless. You can argue against infinite power being possible, I suppose.

>If it had limits it would not be infinite, i.e limitless.
See, this is what we call an amphiboly. Obviously infinite power must be infinite in respect of quantity, this is the logically acceptable definition. But when you say infinite power isn't subject to logical laws, all you're saying is it can somehow contradict itself, which it simply can't. Take the common question, "Can God make a stone so heavy he can't lift?" The question essentially asks whether God could interfere with his own infinite power. But it's really asking if God can violate the laws of logic, because if the stone is so heavy that infinite power can't lift it, it would have to be immovable. And so we come to, "Can God move that which is immovable?" Clearly, the question is nonsense, because the thing to be moved is prejudged as immovable.

Basically, infinite power abides by no other power, but logic is not a quantitative power, it's a system for ordering and classifying abstractions, so to say it "limits" God's power in a quantitative way is rather silly. God in fact would be more limited if he did not have to abide by the laws of logic, for in that case he could violate his own laws, and they would lack immutability and eternalness, which are characteristic of the dictates of being with absolute power over the universe.

But you assume that God has to make sense or is even fully conveivable, when an omnipotent being would almost certainly be inconceivable as a whole.

I don't know why you think it's so inconceivable that God could be illogical and paradoxical. He almost certainly is those things. So, he can move the stone and He can't, He doesn't have to decide because he is effectively infinite in being.

>I don't know why
Well, if you had read and understood what I wrote, you would know why I feel this way. Care to respond to the arguments, or will you keep repeating yourself?

At least respond to this objection: if God could violate His own laws, He could not possibly partake of omnipotence, because His decrees, which are direct products of His will, would not be unchangeable, and therefore, His will could be violated.

>At least respond to this objection: if God could violate His own laws, He could not possibly partake of omnipotence, because His decrees, which are direct products of His will, would not be unchangeable, and therefore, His will could be violated.

How do you think this sounds right at all?

If God is omnipotent, His laws, e.g. the laws of nature, cannot be violated, because He will have the power to enforce them eternally.
God violates his laws.
Therefore, God is not omnipotent.

Again, what is wrong with this? I'm assuming we are both supposing He is also omniscient.

It makes me feel good to know there are anons like you on the board, user.

[spoiler]I'm being sincere[/spoiler]

Because your question is predicated on the notion that God is somehow subject to the trappings of mortal logic.

I'll give you a second to look at a dictionary and then you can reply again

So you're just going to repeat yourself.

Have a nice night.

>You can do everything as long as it isn't unlogical like creating a rock that you cannot carry
first, you meant illogical
second, an omnipotent being could create a rock they couldn't carry at time t, but later choose to be able to carry it at time t+x, or y'know, quantum mechanics' multiple states 'n sheit

Yeah but that make claims about to analyze even through philosophy then, something that is not a problem for some christians I guess but that makes most of apologetics impossible and you can't credibly argue about it here.

I don't think your heart is in a bad place but it's a bit dishonest to imply that people who happen to disagree with you must be just closed-minded.
It's possible to just be unconvinced.

Oh dear. Azathoth lies at the 'focus' of existence which is where all the other outer gods reside. This is a realm beyond the ultimate gate so each of these beings transcend duality, conception, bla bla.
Yog-Sothoth is a being representing the totality of existence and is omnipresent which means he also resides in the outer chaos and the outer gods are part of him.
However Yog-Sothoth is just a part of Azathoth's dream.
All of existence is just Azathoth's dream

>they couldn't
So they aren't really omnipotent then

Why is he trying to use 'quantum mechanics' to explain omnipotence?

>quantum mechanics
apparently in our world things can be in many states at the same time, so able/not able is a possible allowed configuration

Uh well um eh uhhh yeah...i suppose that makes sense

We've had a thread like this recently.
I liked an explanation from some user, that not being able to do something impossible isn't a deficiency, because what is the limit here isn't necessarily lack of power or ability, but rather limitations of our world itself.
For example God can't create a triangle with four sides not because he isn't sufficiently powerful, but rather because something like that is just impossible within our universe. Perhaps He'd be able to create another universe in which traingles do have four sides instead.

God cannot create a round rectangle.

>triangle with four sides

>round rectangle

semantics

Exactly. God can't create a triangle with four sides because it's impossible. No triangle can exist with four sides, so the lack of that ability doesn't take away from His omnipotence.