Fatty McFat here (235 lbs/107 kg). I plan on doing a 212 mile (340 km) hike through the Scotish Uplands

Fatty McFat here (235 lbs/107 kg). I plan on doing a 212 mile (340 km) hike through the Scotish Uplands.

I was wondering, just to motivate myself. How much weight can I expect to lose? I plan on taking it easy and I took off a full month for the hike, but I think getting under 220 lbs (100 kg) shouldn't be too hard right?

I think you're gonna get yourself butchered in the mountains

>235 lbs/107 kg
What's that in stones? No true Scotsman uses lbs/kg...

>How much weight can I expect to lose?
0 grams if you shovel yourself full with food.

Oh yeah, it's definetly not going to be a walk in the park. (pun intended)

I mean, my condition is pretty back. I sweat when walking 2 miles in the sun without a 40 liter pack on. So yeah, it's not going to be easy.

But fuck it. I like adventures and I've always wanted to do this.

Don't forget I have 30 full days, I don't have to go fast and if I legs are really fucked I can take one or two days off.

>16,8
I am actually Dutch, cheers.

Oh fuck, that is so clever.. I didn't even fucking think about that. kys

The fuck do you even want then. You took a month off and you're asking for motivation? You're asking about how much weight you can EXPECT to lose? Are you stupid?

Lees de sticky vetzak

So you'll be hauling an extra 40kg of water plus more kg of extra gear.

What will you be eating? For 30 days of solid walking.. You could easily lose 20 lbs

Sorry that my question doesn't fit in your row of nice questions. Topkek.

Buddy, leave the thread if you can't handle the discussion

Teenager detected

Not that guy, but to be fair, your question is a bit silly. No one will be able to give you an answer to your question, it's basically that. You lose weight in the kitchen.

I am guessing no more than 2500 calories a day. Everything I eat has to be made with hot water, excluding the protein bars.

Breakfast:
oatmeal / cup-a-soup / protein bar

Snacks:
protein bar / piece of bread / corn or other canned shit

Dinner:
freshly catched fish / mountain house dinner / soup

Of course, and I know that. I realise it's not a question you can answer accuratly without knowing everything I eat and do everyday. I'm just looking for some tips, feedback and some estimates.

Let's just shoot the shit and not be cunts to eachother, you know?

Fair enough, I'll just give you my approximation, I'll say you can expect to lose anything between zero and ten kilograms if you actually make it the whole way.

Have you done any walking before?
Have you got broken in boots?
Can you navigate with map and compass?
Can you micronav incase the weather closes in?
Have you don't any walking carrying a rucksack?

Your feet are going to be in shreds, you aren't going to know your hot spots, your traps and back are going to scream at you, your knees and ankle are going to fuck you and you aren't going to complete it.

You don't want to be walking on empty and screwing yourself. It's not like fasted cardio. You need to fuel the journey especially if your not used to long walks or rucks.

Make sure you have plenty of Compeed. Tape up any hot spots before you get blisters.
If you do get blisters, make sure you treat them right, infected blisters can lead to septicaemia and amputation or death. Look for tracking from the blister.

Blisters:
Clean
Lance (only if painful)
Iodine
Duoderm or compeed
Tape

Never take directly into a blister.

Tape up any rucksack burn or friction burns you get.
Why not just walk and enjoy it and have a few pints and drams along the way. Instead of worrying about losing weight.

That map you have is extremely confusing, it's at a really weird angle

Is it seriously going to take you a month to do that? Scotland isn't that big

Thanks for taking the time to write a serious response, I appreciate that a lot.

> Have you done any walking before?
Not any significant amount, no.

> Have you got broken in boots?
Just bought some Meindl shoes, have been breaking them in for the last couple of days.

> Can you navigate with map and compass?
A little, but the trail I choose is very well maintained and has a lot of markers.

> Can you micronav incase the weather closes in?
I am bringing my phone, which I can turn to use maps.

> Have you don't any walking carrying a rucksack?
Not more than a couple of miles. It's why is chose a small pack.

Just to be clear, I am not going to try to kill myself. Surely I'm going to enjoy a pint of Guiness and have an English breakfast once every week. It's not like I am taking a scale or anything. It's a bit of both with keeping weight in mind.

Also, I am sure you are completely right about the pain. It's going to hurt. Sure, I believe that. But like I said, I don't have to walk much more than 12 miles a day to make it. I'm not in a hurry.

Thaks for the advice on blisters, i've noted it down on a paper in my EMT bag.

Well, obviously that is not the route I am taking. Google chooses the fastest route it can calculate.

I mean.. did you read my post? I am taking a bad and have zero experience..

#
Thanks for taking the time to write a serious response, I appreciate that a lot.

No worries mate, anything that gets people outdoors.

>Not any significant amount, no.

Might be best to choose a lesser route or smaller route first and build up. I can appreciate you want the challenge and the routes aren't mega bad, but it might be best to start getting mileage in your legs.
> Just bought some Meindl shoes, have been breaking them in for the last couple of days.

Break them in for longer. It's a good brand. You got for leather? I prefer leather for maintenance, and I don't like goretext boots but that's my preference.

Make sure you break them in plenty. Walk them through puddles, get them soaking and worked in. Your feet expand when you do heavy walking so hopefully you got half a size bigger.

If they are leather, wash and soak them in polish and buff them off every time you wear them out. And look at applying dubbing to improve waterproofness and soften the leather.

You can get similar products for fabric boots.
I prefer boots to shoes for ankle support.

>A little, but the trail I choose is very well maintained and has a lot of markers.

Yea you should be ok, the route you have chosen isn't too bad. It's just handy to have that skill.

> am bringing my phone, which I can turn to use maps.

Phoned die, signal gets lost. Always take a hard copy map.

> Not more than a couple of miles. It's why is chose a small pack.

Make sure the straps are broken into and pack it so it's comfortable. Get used to walking with it on.

Find out if you run hot or cold. I run hot so I prefer to walk with a merino baselayer and a thin shell jacket. Don't start with all your warm gear on. And get it soaked in sweat. Start cooler and you will warm up.

To be fair you seem pretty switched on, I was expecting a total numpty.
Always carry spare clean socks, nothing beats a clean pair of socks. Keep your feet powdered every morning, not too much though....

..... or it will ball up with sweat and rub and cause blisters.

Try a thin paid of sockets under a thick pair. Might cut down on blisters.

That's gonna be your biggest problem. Don't be afraid to stop and address your feet if you feel a hotspot.

And when breaking in your boots find out where your hot spots are and tape the to prevent them. Zinc Oxide tape.

Change the tape every morning and let your feet air.

I know that's not the route you're taking, I just posted it to show the actual geography of the country since it's not a straight west>east line like your map shows.

It's a UK thing man. They all display the country as up and down. Rather than the correct angle it sits at.

Fuck knows why.

OP, i admire your goal. Scotland is a particular beauty best viewed in nature

if it hasnt been mentioned, check /out/ on some survival and outdoor procedures. get the books. practice these and drill a few times a day for 3wks prior, so you can set shelter, make fire, discern and treat any ailments without having to think about it. no matter what conditions are, addressing survival needs is paramount, and should be base lvl instinctive.

Tho /out/ is slow board, they also hace good gear reviews and extended duration outdoor living knowledge.

>>/out/

forgot to say, best of fortune in your journey. cheers.

>

>>/out/1020066
>>
>>>

Lol

I am definetly not switching routes but I'll make sure to do some miles the coming month.

The shoes I chose are the Meindl San Fran. GTX ones, they seem pretty solid. My toes are wide tho so I am going to go to the local cobler to get them stretched up a bit around the toes.

So yeah, no leather.. hopefully gore-tex will suit me.

> Phoned die, signal gets lost. Always take a hard copy map.
Yeah, I'm definetly taking a map and a decent compass.

> Find out if you run hot or cold. I run hot so I prefer to walk with a merino baselayer and a thin shell jacket. Don't start with all your warm gear on. And get it soaked in sweat. Start cooler and you will warm up.
Thanks for the tip, I'll definetly make sure to pay attention to that.

> Always carry spare clean socks, nothing beats a clean pair of socks. Keep your feet powdered every morning, not too much though....
I'm taking five pair, they're very light and like you said.. a fresh pair of socks just gives you so much more power for the day. 20 bucks a pair tho.. damn

Like, and tried to mention, I have a thread on out.

Ignore the fat soft yank bastards in this thread. This is easily doable. Remember water and some kendal mint cake and you'll be fine.

#
> I am definetly not switching routes but I'll make sure to do some miles the coming month.

Aye just build up to it mate. You should be fine. I was expecting some total bampot with no clue. The routes easy enough.

> The shoes I chose are the Meindl San Fran. GTX ones, they seem pretty solid. My toes are wide tho so I am going to go to the local cobler to get them stretched up a bit around the toes.

So yeah, no leather.. hopefully gore-tex will suit me.

Yea man, it's personal preference. You will find what you like and don't like. Just make sure they are nice and broken in.

> Yeah, I'm definetly taking a map and a decent compass.

Make sure you have a route card, and give it to someone you trust. Timings etc. And check in points. Just incase a rescue needs to happen.

I have had a few mates die in the hills. Doing harder routes, mind you but accidents still happen. As long as someone knows where your going to be.

It's an easier route and we all have to start somewhere.

> Thanks for the tip, I'll definetly make sure to pay attention to that.

People will always try and flog you stuff that's gimmicky or over priced. Keep it simple.
Hat, gloves just in case. Baselayer. Tshirt, warm gear. Waterproofs. Add and remove when required.

>I'm taking five pair, they're very light and like you said.. a fresh pair of socks just gives you so much more power for the day. 20 bucks a pair tho.. damn

Yea there's a lot of overpriced stuff out there. But you will find out what works for you.
Try swapping the socks too, so your left and right. As you compress the sock, with your feet you will create flat spots. Swapping them half way through the day will even out the flat spots and might help your feet hot spots. If that makes sense?

Best of luck on your endeavours mate. Hopefully I will see you on the hills sometimes.

Above everything else, take in the view, enjoy yourself.

Not a yank brah.

It's an easy route. But mistakes happen.

Its about helping him to enjoy an experience, so he will continue to do so.

>numpty
>calling this guy a yank

ur the yankscum u fud

Thanks for all the replies man, so far your info has been of great value. I'll remember the socks swapping thing, that makes a lot of sense to me.