Russian Bear program

Has anyone run the Russian Bear program by Pavel Tsatsouline? Would it be good for a novice?

A
Deadllift variant:
> today's work weight x 5 reps +
> 90% of today's work weight x 5 reps +
> 80% of today's work weight as many back off sets as possible with good form (maybe 5-25 sets)
Press variant:
> same as deadlift variant
Curls and triceps variant optional.

> 3-5 seconds up for deadlift and press
> 30-90 second rests between back off sets
> 3 or 4 days per week

Progression:
Effective cycles are 8-16 workouts. Start a cycle with 70-80% of your 5RM or a weight you can comfortably do 10 reps. You can increase the weights in a linear, flexible wave, structured wave, or step pattern during the cycle. Linear is +5 pounds per workout. Flexible wave is +5 pounds per workout and decrease weight when feeling tired and then work upwards again. Structured wave is +5 pounds per workout for four workouts and then -15 pounds and then work upwards again. Step pattern is +5 pounds then same weight for a one or several more workouts followed by another increase.

bump

that Цaцyлин isn't looking impressive at all

>Цaцyлин
what?

Its 'tsatsouline' in the Cyrillic alphabet. He was trying to show off that he understands the Cyrillic alphabet

He looks great tbqh

Anyone?

Last shameful bump

I'd try it for fun but I really don't want to give up all my other lifts. It honestly looks no better or worse than Bulgarian style programming for high frequency squats. Go for it if presses and deadlifts are your thing
By the way, the volume seems ridiculous. For the first cycle, I'd do PTTP which is essentially the same but 5x week and no sets below 90% (so 2 sets DL and 2 sets press per day)

Meta/off topic:
>Shameful
Posting frogs, insecurity, trigger, tfw etc threads is shameful, not this thread. You are contributing to board quality.

you cant bump your own threads, but I can

Yeah, I guess it's pretty much the same as bulgarian method. I got it from Eric bugenhagen btw.

>By the way, the volume seems ridiculous.
I've done 20+ sets of ohp. Deadlift back off sets are fewer. But I'm running unparalleled cycles for each, so by the time I'm hitting 20+ sets on ohp, I'm doing 5RM with no back off on dl, and vice versa.

> not having 2 simultaneous connections

The two exercises don't interfere at all with each other, of course. But just deadlifting for 3+ sets (let alone 20!) 3-4 x week seems like a lot of volume. Then again I haven't tried it, so I wouldn't know. Good luck with your progress!

Thanks man. If you think about it, it's pretty much as a beginner program, but emphasis on deadlifts instead of squats.

For presses though never seen anything like it, let's see how it pays off. Thinking of doing db one arm press for back off sets.

Ive done the program with the original side press.

It was fun, and the repitition was therapeutic for me. I never got to 25 setsthough. I feel that it permanently gave me better overhead coordinarion. 10/10 would do again.

Did you make strength/aesthetic gains on it?

I tried doing the original barbell single arm bent press at the gym but it attracted too much looks.

My shoulders definitely got bigger, and the volume made me lose weight. Personally I'm a huge fan of the single arm press, and I also got a lot of looks. I liked to think of it as an oppurtunity to show off.

Were your bench or squat lacking when you got back to it?

My bench was unchanged. You can always do a cycle with bench presses or squats instead if you're worried about those lifts. (Pavel says floor press and hack squats since he assumes you're only working with a bar and plates)

pavel doesn't know shit about training for hypertrophy

just do a proven hypertrophy routine (not a brosplit, something like Lyle's upper/lower)

Sounds good enough. Not really worried about the bench, but about the pecs.

Not sure if that's true. His book on bodybuilding offer a few splits that looks very well planned. Anyways, my goal is to improve my ohp and deadlfit until September.

I mean it would work but you'd be wasting a LOT of time especially if you don't do linear progression and not really balancing your development 2bh.

Yes I guess you are right.

Dr. Pavel? I'm CIA.