Minimalist running shoes

I tried running completely barefoot and it's nice. Forces correct form, uses your leg muscles, and is easier on the knees.

I want to get my first pair of "minimalist" shoes. Anyone have suggestions? I do most running on track or treadmill; don't need serious protection.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibram_FiveFingers#Health_effects
topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/1737-vibram-fivefingers-shoes-class-action-lawsuit/
unique-sportstime.de/site/wp-content/uploads/Barfuss-Laufen1.pdf
marksdailyapple.com/vibram-fivefingers-lawsuit/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump

If you're running on track or treadmill and there isn't a risk of debris, you really don't need shoes

Why the fuck do you need these if you're running on a treadmill? You have pussy feet.

pls no, this meme again
no
pls

it's ridiculous and not beneficial as vibram once suggested; actually, pretty much the contrary of "beneficial"

gym treadmill, don't wanna get foot aids

This dude doesn't know what he's talking about. All my Vibram's have been awesome

You wear those and you're going to get real AIDS from all the gay sex you'll be having.

well I'm not asking about Vibrams specifically, just the minimalist shoes without much spring to protect heel-striking.

Fad as fuck

t. vibram employee

we already have covered this shit in, like, 2012
do you want to stay barefoot on the beach or at home? fine
running barefoot on purpose should be avoided, regardless of debris
it's awful to repeat this discussion, you know, it's like having to argue about why the Earth is spherical in the current year

also,

>running barefoot on purpose should be avoided
um, yes, that's why I'm asking about what SHOES to wear.

If naming a brand means I work for it, then Google. Get lost, giant sole-needing scrub.

Have fun with your pronation and weak arches. My soleus' are fucking godlike.

OP here, recommend a pair please

>running in sandals
dont fall for the jesus meme

Get an INVO8 XF 210.

can't tell if actual employee or legitimate retard. Vibram got mentioned en passant because of all the querelle behind the five fingers settlement

but guess what you showed completely different shoes, white knighted for the company and missed completely the pont of that post, that is: the old memetic claim about the benefits of running barefoot are not just false but also misleading, you're more prone to injury if you run barefoot or with minimalistic shit

if you still want to ignore the crux of the matter please shut the fuck up

a pair of conventional running shoes.

jesus fucking christ, it's 2013 again

Wrong but nice wall of text retard

>Forces correct form, uses your leg muscles, and is easier on the knees
All of this has been scientifically rebuted in the class action.

I use the trail vibrams for when I go hiking (lots of mud and waterfalls at the end of trail). I dont mind them getting wet and theyre great for traction.

alright well, I wasn't here in 2013, am just looking to do some running without fucking my knees, and need a new pair of running shoes because my current ones are falling apart.

You're telling me that heel striking isn't all that bad?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibram_FiveFingers#Health_effects

so people who try to do too much too fast with them will injure themselves, because they're not used to running correctly.

just as someone who has never done a deadlift in their life shouldn't start heavy until they've learned proper form.

OP you can completely ignore Veeky Forumss advice on anything that isn't in the sticky. 90% of the userbase here doesn't even lift, and 99% of these faggots have never run more than a kilometer. Dont ever ask for advice here its a fools errand

Anyways yes grab a pair, they are great for running and for building the muscles in your feet. They strengthen all the muscles that grew week with poor running form in shoes (due to heel strikes, which these eliminate).

On my infantry course everyone got their feet fucked up and hurting from hours and day of marching and running with heavy weights in combat boots. My feet were 100% fit as a fiddle because they've been trained well with barefoot running (these shoes mimick it almost exactly)

My vibrams have lasted 3 years, but any brand is fine really

>All of this has been scientifically rebuted in the class action.
i don't wear the things and wasn't even aware of the class action lawsuit so i had to look into it.

topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/1737-vibram-fivefingers-shoes-class-action-lawsuit/

it would appear the argument made in class action lawsuit was that were no studies or evidence to support the claims made by the company not that there were studies and evidence directly contradicting the claim. it was simply pointed out this company made a claim without evidence.

it was not determined that they weren't better for you but that legally they weren't allowed to say one way or another.

so they weren't really scientifically rebutted. just slapped by the long dick of the law.

ok is there some other kind of minimalist shoes other than those autist shoes?

try googling zero drop shoes.

yea I've heard military guys who are bummed they aren't allowed to wear vibram-like toe shoes. would make those basic runs a lot better.

the claim has been academically proven wrong, No, in the actual paper referenced there it's writtenpretty clearly you shouldn't just get accustomed to them. The fact you're not accustomed to them is an added malus.

OP should ignore you for starters.

today I forgot Veeky Forums is only concerned with 2 of the 5 forms of fitness. will do some more research and ask actual runners.

the two studies cited only show that barefoot runners are not immune to foot injuries. they do not make the claim that barefoot running is better or worse for you. they couldn't do such a thing because each study is only examining one particular kind of injury. there are many types of injuries a runner can suffer from and if you want to conclusively say one is healthier than the other you need data on more than two types.

also both studies say that inexperience/not making a gradual transition is most likely to blame, not the barefoot running itself.

just like pointed out, to take that as meaning barefoot running is bad for you makes about as much sense believing deadlifting is bad for you because newbies are constantly snapping their shit up because they don't know what they're doing.

No.

unique-sportstime.de/site/wp-content/uploads/Barfuss-Laufen1.pdf

Download it, read it and if you want to surfaxe this old debate read marksdailyapple.com/vibram-fivefingers-lawsuit/ as well.

Actual runner here.

Get the thin 3.5mm soles. Up to 18k now. Previously couldn't run in regular runners. Painful shin splints.

Great thing about the five fingers is they force you to run correctly. Running feels easier than ever. There is a very amazing floating feeling you develop after the technique is developed.

then wear some fucking socks

Yes.

>Conclusion: Runners interested in transitioning to
minimalist running shoes, such as Vibram FiveFingers should transition very slowly and gradually in order to avoid potential stress injury in the foot.

>Participants in the Vibram group were instruct
ed to run one short (1-2 mile) run in the
VFF during their first week of trai
ning.

>This, combined with the findings of Trappeniers et al., suggests that our subjects were conditioned enough through their previous running experience that it was not the running, but the added stress of transitioning to VFF that contributed to the higher incidence of bone marrow edema in the Vibram group (21)

continued...

>Participants in this study were required to keep a training log to document their running.
Although the original intention of the study design was for all subjects to have completely transitioned to VFF running shoes by the end of the 10 weeks of training,
this did not happen for the majority of subjects. Mileage data from the final week of each subject’s training log indicates that only 1 subject ran exclusively in the VFF during the last week of entries into the training log. It should be noted that some subjects stopped logging their runs prior to the 10th week of training and 4 of the 19 Vibram subjects did not document their training at all, though they did participate in both pre- and post- testing and therefore, were included in the statistical
analysis in this study. This lack of documentation presents a limitation to this study

>The data reported from the training logs supports the statement that the
rate of transition is an important aspect to consider when runners start wearing VFF running shoes. Figure 1 shows mileage data from the control and Vibram sub-groups (injured and non-injured) for one week of the study. The week chosen was the week during which the subject ran the most miles in their respective shoe. It should be emphasized that for the Vibram sub-groups, these data were not from the week during which the subject ran their total peak mileage (traditional plus VFF mileage), but rather maximum mileage in the FF only.

continued...

>Within the Vibram sub-groups, subjects ran their maximum weekly mileage in VFF during a range of weeks (weeks 1 – 9). Seven subjects ran their maximum mileage in VFFprior
to or during week 4. This early peak shows that subjects chose not to increase their weekly mileage during the second half of the 10 week study - possibly due to discomfort, injury, or other difficulty running in the VFF.

>Although we don’t know why many runners ran their maximum mileage early in the study, perhaps perceived pain is a possible explanation.

>Thus, to minimize the risk of bone
stress injury, runners who want to run in VFF
should transition over a longer duration than 10 weeks and at a lower intensity (miles per week)
than the subjects in this study.

sorry about formatting, copy/pasting wasnt really working on account of pdf, didn't feel like fixing it

Whatever revision of Nike FlyKnit theyre on. Ran all my marathon training + race for my second one in them and they're still holding together today. Like a mesh sock with a light sole.