So what does Veeky Forums do for abs accessory work...

So what does Veeky Forums do for abs accessory work? I've been doing planks but it seems like I have to do it for 10 minutes for it to be effective.

Doing the compounds are good and all, but I want some good ab isolation exercise to do. Preferably with no equipment.

I've been thinking about decline situps or something but people said it fucks up your spine.

This is also relevant to my interests

Leg raises. You can add dumbells to them one they get too easy.
With leg raises you also get the benefit of training hip flexors. Which most exerices dont do.

You know, I thought I had more girls with abs considering how hard my cock is when I see that. But I ran out it seems.

I do them on days i do squats but they seem to only train my lower abs. Is that retarded?

Also, how hard is it to transit to hanging leg raises? Is it even worth it if I just want strong and good looking abs?

>but they seem to only train my lower abs. Is that retarded?

no, abs can be focused to SOME degree on upper lower portion. squats and deads often work the upper part more. Which is why hanging leg raises are good as it focus mroe on the lower part.
I find hanging leg raises to be better for abs. could be due to how the lift shifts its point of maximal contraction.

Literally all studies show you need is two sets of weighted crunches (or whichever ab isolation you choose that can be progressively loaded without injury) 2-3 times a week. Just chuck it in after all the compounds with the rest of your hypertrophy accessory and realise that a lot of ab prominence is genetics and low bodyfat.

Would you be so kind as to link a source for that? I've heard broscience saying any kind of crunch destroys your back.

I'm still looking for the perfect ab workout as well, but using an Ab Roller or doing Dragon Flags is all you need if you can do them.

I always thought dragon flags was more for show. As it doesnt bring anything else to the table than the ressistance of holding the weight of your legs. which can be done or even outdone by a lot of ab exercises. And its weird to load.

Dragon flags, standing ab roller, toes to bar, single side bird dog.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the benefit of Dragon Flags comes from the specific way you're working your abs, in that doing them properly isolates your abs extremely well. You're only using the weight of your legs, sure, but completing the entire movement requires an immense amount of strength and control.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it is for show, but I also feel as though you're probably plenty strong enough to have very visible abs if you can do the whole movement properly. Give them a shot and you'll see what I mean, haha.

Related question. Can someone explain how to do core exercises to me?

am I suppose to brace my abs somehow while doing them? Because I barely feel shit when doing planks in my abs.

Not the guy you responded to, but I would probably feel really self-conscious if I tried it and failed.

gif absolutely related. looks deceptively easy but your core will struggle and fail to keep your back and hips from sagging, and you will hate it. easier version would be to just rock back and forth on your toes, harder version would be putting your feet in some sort of trx straps a few inches off the floor. try it. I can plank for 5mins. ezpz but those fuck me up beyond repair

If you're not feeling it in your abs when you do planks, there are a couple of potential reasons. You could be taking too much of the weight elsewhere. Try hollowing out your abs and consciously flexing them, really make sure you're holding yourself up with your abs more than anything rather than just trying to br as stiff amd straight as possible.

If you're a new lifter, you might also just be weak enough in your arms and legs that holding up your bodyweight is going to strain those muscles before your abs. Once you make some strength gains youd feel it more in your abs when you plank.

Sniff air in through your nose fast, hold that top contraction immediately but keep breathing "behind the shield". That's how we learned it for front squats back in the day and it works for anything else too I found.

Thats actually the reason I don't do them. They're extremely difficult and you look ridiculous and get to show everyone what color your compression shorts are when you try and fail.

There's a good progression you can do to build up to the "full flag" that I'd like to attempt now that Im lifting regularly again.

Please elaborate. Because I think I don't brace correctly for compound lifts either.

What do you mean by hollowing them out

Try it right now. Close your mouth, sniff in air hard and fast through your nose. You'll notice your abs flexing tightly instantly. Now do it again but try to hold that contraction while still breathing through your chest. Not sure how I can explain it otherwise.

That may not be the best term, but basically you want to consciously flex them and crunch just ever so slightly, rounding your back just enough to get a good flex in your abs while your planking. This should really put the majority of the strain on your abs, if that makes sense.

all right, I'll try to do them.
you do the same thing you do with compounds, at least that's what made me feel that it really does something. Brace your core, you put the air you breathe in into your stomach area (it

this, I would do it at home maybe but that's it. I don't want to look like an obnoxious faggot, showing off exercises, no offense

Planks, leg raises, sit ups.

I fucking hate every single on of them so I mixed core and shoulders on wednesday.

this so much, try them they're hardcore (get it, cause hard core)

*(it feels like it anyway)

Should I "lock it in" like I'm trying to take a dump? Ive heard many people explain it that way but it seems weird.

I like these kind of programs. It's bodyweight so I can do them even when it's not a gym day. You'll find plenty on google by typing "total abs workout" and going to images.

That's a weird way to put it, but essentially yes. Don't actually simulate taking a dump because that will lead to other problems down the line, but the general idea in terms of core recruitment is the same yes.

To be fair, I think that if you are shredded enough to do a proper Dragon Flag, you're well within your right to do them in the gym and show off a bit. I think there's an important distinction between doing an admittedly "showy" exercise and being a true obnoxious faggot by grunting and yelling and throwing the weights around like a shithead.

What problems? Because I've tried it a couple times tbqh.

I'm considering just getting a,belt for compounds. Seems way better.

Greg Nuckols site says it doesn't even harm core development to wear one so there's no reason not to

this lol, also some people brace wrong imagining that and tend to involve their butt too much. getting prolapses from heavy squatting and stuff. only half as hilarious as it sounds.

>inb4 get a squat plug
it'll just shoot out and hurt someone lmao

frankly I thought this thread will sink to the depths of shit meme faggotry but Veeky Forums has shown to be capable of fitness discussion still. Thanks for the suggestions, anons.

This is the perfect time to leave, I think. Thanks for the ideas and the laughs, you made me the man I am.

2012-2107, OP out.

Cable crunches is the shit. Just hit them like any other muscle. Go heavy for lik 13 reps. atleast 3 sets per exersice and atleast 3 exercizes.

My go 2s are Cable crunches, Captains chair leg raises and russian twist,n mabye some inclince crunch with sum weight.

Dragon Flags > Leg Raises > Cocoons/Starfishes

All to failure, do it 3 times every 2 days in that order as a cycle.

if you dont have a solid ab pack in 6 months then you haven't been doing it right.

By far the most uneducated bullshit spouted about abs comes from Veeky Forums and its retarded belief that abs are only made in the kitchen or by doing retarded compounds. Your fucking squats and deadlifts will not give you abs ever.

So do half flags, or play around with the movement

Dragon flags are absolutely godlike for developing abs, in fact I doubt any exercise is better.

If you cant do a full proper form flag, you can bend your hips down a bit to make it easier, then just lower and raise yourself. You do that a couple of times and your abs will be screaming for you to stop.

inb4 he killed himself for some reason

ab wheel, weighted planks, situps on the GHR, front squats, are all great. Plus strongman shit, like yoke walks and farmers carries.

Stupid question but I had never seen dragon flags before. Are you supposed to move up and down or hold it like a plank

It's not that stupid, Dragon Flags are pretty obscure, and you're very unlikely to see anyone doing them at the gym. Ideally, if you can do the full movement, you lift your legs all the way up, then go down and hold, then up and repeat.

Wear a belt when you're at or near your max, you don't want your core to be the weak point if something fails (snap city). Otherwise I've found little difference between wearing one and not wearing one.

See you tomorrow

oh god this
I love dragon flag