1/2/3/4 is a terrible metric
discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TzV4EZb2NMs
youtube.com/watch?v=fhzaUCx-amQ&t=2m18s
exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html
symmetricstrength.com/about#references
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i agree. ohp should be more than 1 plate.

It is a cromulent goal for beginners.

Kek I'm far right in the pic at 180lbs, am I gonna make it

Not if you have to ask.

:(

You'll make it to snap city.

Thank you for this. Im currently at 1/1.6/2.25/2.25. Dl is admittedly my weakest lift but I was beginning to think I was crazy to think 4pl8 dl was proportional to the others in 1/2/3/4

*Not proportional

It's just 10kg less in bench and ohp than your "balanced" intermediate.

because symmetric strength, an equally unbalanced and shitty standard, says so??

in reality, leverages etc determine how your lifts compare to each other and they vary hugely from person to person

What website?

lmao no, a 1.5 pl8 OHP is far superior to 4pl8 deadlift if you actually trained both evenly. The strength standards on this site highly underestimate what can be done in the lower body. 1/2/3/4 is a rough and legit standard and actually really proportional if you are from a powerlifting background.

you are push pressing (only 1.6 plate bench) and have a shitty lower body

>in reality, leverages etc determine how your lifts compare to each other and they vary hugely from person to person
No shit? Obviously it's about averages, not about a single person.

Are we talking 1rm?

yes

what Im saying is, op is trying to say 1/2/3/4 is inaccurate and sights symmetric strength as evidence. but symmetric strength is just as arbitrary as 1/2/3/4

also their strength standards are very low. it says Im proficient and should have around 2+ years training, when Ive been training less than a year. and Im certainly not genetically gifted. if anything Id say my progress was below average

of course

if that press and bench on the right would be for 5+ reps it'd easily be late advanced, not so much about the other two.

1/2/3/4 are proportional intermediate goals for a powerlifter.

they aren't really low. Are you a manlet with good leverages? Might explain it. If you are proficient on their page you have a high chance of being the strongest guy in a regular gym unless you go to a powerlifting/oly gym

>sights
oh come on
>symmetric strength is just as arbitrary as 1/2/3/4
No it's not. It's based on number crunching of loads of data.
What's 1/2/3/4 based on? "Let's pick some round numbers, round numbers are nice :) " ?
>also their strength standards are very low. it says Im proficient and should have around 2+ years training, when Ive been training less than a year. and Im certainly not genetically gifted. if anything Id say my progress was below average
Notice how it doesn't say anything about routine or nutrition; I'd bet you've consistently done SS/SL and then consistently done an intermediate program while eating enough, right?
Well, the average normie (because that's who symmetric strength is comparing you to) doesn't do any of that, he just goes to the gym and fucks around, with a vague concept of progressive overload, and takes a couple protein shakes a day.

0.5-2.0/1.5-3.0/2-3.5/2.5-4xBW is a good measure for any person and those numbers can range to women and men, from beginner to late intermediate.

2x bodyweight OHP? There's not a single person on this earth that can do this

>0.5 x BW OHP
>1.5 x BW bench
>2 x BW squat
>2.5 x BW diddly
> beginner
You're full of shit

>tfw 0.85xBW bench

thinking about it, om-yun chol probably can but he can also jerk 3x bodyweight above his head

beginners I see usually OHP 20-25 kg (so almost only bar), bench 50-60 kg, squat 50-60 kg and deadlift 50-60 kg (granted they aren't pushing on the latter two)

and if they pushed enough, I think 20-25/50-60/70-80/90-100 is fitting for the average beginner male that plays soccer or whatever shit on the side

That's still really fucking far from what said.

Im bad at spelling REEEEEEE

Im 5'9 and have okay squat leverages. I have shit leverages for bench and DL tho. also my programming/diet were completely retarded for the first few months of training

maybe my perspective is skewed. Ive never trained in a normie gym and only ever compared myself to people in /plg/, but I think the requirements for each category should be increased by 10-20 points

yeah i wasn't disagreeing with you, his standards are quite unrealistic (2x bodyweight OHP, fucking lmao)

What way is it?

1 = ohp
2 = bp
3 = SQUATZ
4 = dl

?

no it's 180 kg OHP (15 kg more than world class klokov), 140 kg bench, 100 kg squat and 60 kg deadlift obviously

youtube.com/watch?v=TzV4EZb2NMs

just found a video of an intermediate lifter doing it, without full ROM though but atleast he's trying

there is also a webm of him passing out from a 60 kg elite deadlift

kek

Yes, and 1RM for that can't really be seen as intermediate? (If you're not a manlet, say under 1.70 70kg, then it's impressive)

At the very least, for it to be a reasonable standard, you should have some running standard to complement. Say you can run 10km under 40min at the same time as you can lift 1-2-3-4, then you're reasonably well trained for an amateur.
How hard is it to bulk yourself up to 110kg and automatically lift 100kg from the bench? very easy, not impressive.

youtube.com/watch?v=fhzaUCx-amQ&t=2m18s
here it is

How much do you weigh?

>1/2/3/4
>1RM
That's not how it works kiddo
1/2/3/4 is for reps. You have to do 5 or more.

What is an acceptable starting point for the ohp?
Surely that is too high?
I started with the bar touching the chest before, but now I have it just under the chin. Still, the sticking point is very clearly in the beginning of the lift...

>male
>80 kg/175 lbs

Pick 1.

under chin is ok, as long as it's about aligned with your shoulder start
spotted the american

nobody cares.

Then you should see [sic] an optometrist, because I'm European mainland masterrace (as evidenced by my superior stature)

Ohp seems intimidating to me because i've just started lifting and I find it... Not hard, but the one where i can feel my arms struggling on the last 2 sets.

Like I'm only up to 25kg ohp so the thought of 60 is intimidating right now.

Same for me, I started everything with just the bar so everything was easy as fuck except OHP where I was already struggling from the start. But then I looked at my lifts in percentage of 1/2/3/4 and realised I'm about the same level in all, except squats where I'm below the others.

im 90kg/130kg/???/180kg

underrated vocabulary

>???

It's stupid regardless as people progress at different rates dependent on morphology. This "strength standards" nonsense is also more or less completely arbitrary.

no shit
Intermediate goal for an 80 kg man: ~60kg/~90kg/120kg/140kg (1RM)

Definition of intermediate:
>The lifter has been consistently training, likely for at least a year.

>cromulent
had to look it up, have a (You) my fellow gentleman

>90 kg OHP
>180 kg diddies
>...
>doesn't know squats
bullshits, post pic or better yet video.

problem is, it's not based on an actual strength standard. It's just a mnemonic meme.

It's just a basic estimate of how your lifts should stack up, it's not some hard and fast rule. Veeky Forums is just full of autists that have to have everything structured so roughly 1/2/3/4 became EXACTLY 1/2/3/4

SymmetricStrenght is fucking shit

>Been lifting for real for 2 weeks ( i was cutting before for like 3 months so my strenght was quite shit(still is))
>some of my lifts are somehow intermediate

Great either everyone on this planet is weak as fuck or the numbers are off

post pic or better yet video of these suddenly intermediate lifts

>roughly 1/2/3/4
man, there's a difference between
~60kg/~90kg/~120kg/~140kg (1RM)
vs
60kg/100kg/140kg/180kg

it's a quite cromulent difference

No, the so called "strength standards" are also not at all particularly coherent, it again depends on morphology (just look at powerlifters) and does not scale in a relationship like that.

I agree. as I said here I think the requirements for each category should be increased by 20 points

I don't take videos of myself but the numbers are for sure fucking off.

Like pendley rows one rep max for my weight for intermediate is 60kg what the fuck. Reminder intermediate is someone lifting for strenght for one year

>No, the so called "strength standards" are also not at all particularly coherent
they are based on exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html according to symmetricstrength.com/about#references so
>The performance standards are adult standards (>18 years old) for a single maximal repetition (1RM) based on competitive weightlifter and powerlifting classification systems in use from the 1950's to present.

they are actual standards; sure they gathered from a definite pool but they are a standard nonetheless and it's actually helpful to keep in check your progression (or your lack of training addressing some muscles)

do you actually weight 60kg? Are you male?

I weight 65 m8 i am a 174 cm manlet what did ya expect

>
you only think it's disproportional because you're letting the weight intimidate you

Or because he doesn't want to snap in half

you should weight at least 10 kg more
are an elite MMA fighter? the standards are tailored on weightlifters and you're asked to only enter your weight; weightlifters your height weight at least 77 kg (at 5% bf)
your intermediate pendley row would still be along the lines depicted here

>are an elite
*are you an elite

>Reminder intermediate is someone lifting for strenght for one year
see >I'd bet you've consistently done SS/SL and then consistently done an intermediate program while eating enough, right?
Well, the average normie (because that's who symmetric strength is comparing you to) doesn't do any of that, he just goes to the gym and fucks around, with a vague concept of progressive overload, and takes a couple protein shakes a day.

>the average normie (because that's who symmetric strength is comparing you to)
no, symmetricstrength.com/about#references

Neat, so you're saying 90% of Veeky Forums autists who did SS for 6 months and got into high intermediate territory are genetic freaks?
90% of them?

>people e-stat on an anonymous imageboard and flaunt their shit-form/cheating lifts

colour me surprised

>Ratios for the squat, bench press, and deadlift were found by taking the world record lifts for each powerlifting weight class, finding the squat/deadlift and bench/deadlift ratios for each, and finding the median ratio for both
And that's why they're fucked up, actual powerlifters tend to have massive disparities between their lifts. The guy with the biggest bench is NEVER the guy with the biggest deadlift, generally not the biggest squat either and so on.

It becomes unrealistic because it does not account for individual morphology (of which there are a few general types) or anything like that. Note of course that the morphology does not have any effect on muscularity, as for example a poor bench presser would in fact need to compensate for his natural disadvantage by increasing muscle mass, unlike the talented bencher.

man, you're cherry-picking, they consider both powerlifting classes and weightlifting classes for different rankings.
Then again, sure, there's individual morphology etc etc and those are all trained weightlifters officially ranked etc etc; the "talented" vs. naturally poor bencher is a red herring any way. It's lifting things up and down with proper technique, mot rocket science; muscles will "learn" to better react to a stimulus the more you train. Also a digression on mass is moot.

Of course it is.
It just appeals to autists on the internet because it's tidy and easy to remember.
I would like some retard to explain the linear correlation that exist in those 4 exercises, that makes them follow this function

So wait 1/2/3/4 is 1RM???

I thought it was for sets of 5. Lol jesus fucking christ I'm so much stronger than i thought!!!!

I actually compete in powerlifting lad.

I can tell you that the fact is, that ever lifter even at the world stage, has 1-2 "big lifts" and that is it, this is based on morphology. The notion of a "proportionate" lifter is a complete fiction. This is why some people reach "intermediate" quickly in one or two lifts, as these are their natural advantages, while the other does not.

And yes, of course technique matters, but the fact is that EVERYONE has to practice technique, and therefore the naturally advantaged person will be stronger. In fact, someone with poor morphology for a given lift may in fact not even be able to complete the lift with optimal form.

sure buddy, post pic or better yet video.

>I compete
mind posting pic or better yet video?

Why? Its really not that impressive?

5 reps of OHP at 60kg?
5 reps of Bench at 100kg?
5 reps of Squat at 140kg?
5 reps of Deadlift at 180kg?

Is this really considered strong on this board? I'm honestly and genuinely flabbergasted.

I'm honest to god not trolling but these lifts are barely intermediate at my gym.

symmetricstrength

they are good goals for an intermediate lifter at 1RM.

But 1RM aren't a good idea for intermediate lifters. They enforce the wrong mindset. Which is exactly why 1/2/3/4 should be standardized as a 5RM goal.

Yes, I do mind.

It's irrelevant whether you believe my credentials or not, considering the fact that powerlifting is not exactly something difficult to achieve. However, it does mean I've been to a good amount of meets and both know and train with other lifters that compete which all but confirms this trend.

you're free to have your favoured lifts etc etc and morphology and individual specificities etc etc
then again, it's a tool to compare where you perform better, or what's your "specialty" if you aren't looking for proportions but just for some records

>doesn't post pic nor vid
angsty teen spreading bs confirmed.

>just for some records
That's what goodlift.info is for

And either way, my point is that there is no such thing as a proportional lifter, the rate of progress for each individual lift will vary according to morphology.

>I do mind
what a surprise

72kg.
Can deadlift 120kg
Can only squat like 80kg

Why does my squat progress so much slower, and why is it so low to start with? I was deadlifting 80kg after a couple of weeks of lifting (skinnyfat) but it's taken like 6 months to go from being shit at squatting to being shit at squatting.

do you use tools like wrist wraps, hooks, belts?
height?
are you confident your form is acceptable?

mouth fills 5xF
come back in three months

both are equally shit. youre a novice whose weak all over. you have no specific weaknesses because you have no strengths

he's probably lifting cocks in Arnoldville, where everyone lifts 4pl8s for reps at twelve

>cromulent
>fake big word invented in a cartoon

No wraps, belts or chalk, 186cm. My form is acceptable, but almost certainly not perfect. My right ITB is fucked and has been for over a year but it's never caused me pain while lifting, just while doing certain times or distances running. Also I do warm up and mobility at the start of each training session and stretching at the end of each., including foam rolling and stuff my physiotherapist instructed me to do.

No shit,but what I'm wondering is why my squat is so disproportionately turboshit as compared to my other shit lifts. I can OHP 53kg for 2 reps but I can only squat 80kg to parralel or just below once with good from and maybe twice more without making parallel? Disproportionate. And I train both lifts the same and once per week.

>186 cm
>72 kg
THANK YOU HUNGRY SKELETON

jesus fuck, eat ffs
that weight at that height is ok only for a marathoner

This is after a year and 4 months of working out. While being on a cut and not doing ohp for 2-3 months. Excuse the shitty form. I couldn't get the bar closer to my face.

The reason I post this is because everyone is different. I cannot dl 4 plates. I don't train it mind you, but the deadlift in itself always felt compromising to me. Even my good looking form felt like shit. Upper is easy for me. Lower is hard.
And that is completely reversed for others. 1/2/3/4 is a good all around standard, but the whole push for a year to get there is pretty much a pipe dream for some. If you want to increase something, you need to train it, hard. At the very least you will become stronger than you were previously.

Also I am computer illiterate

>why my squat is so disproportionately turboshit

what Im telling you is that its not. youre a beginner I assume training for a few weeks/months. you arent strong enough and havent been training long enough to present any significant differences in lifts. everything is up in the air. a couple of weeks from now ohp could be your weakest lift. saying youre bad/good at somethiing at this level is the same as 5 year olds who show slight aptitude/weakness for a subject in school. it doesnt mean anything but parents blow it out of proportion

also, what kind of routine has you squat only once per week??? at your level, your recovery time would be every other day at most

>maybe my perspective is skewed. Ive never trained in a normie gym and only ever compared myself to people in /plg/, but I think the requirements for each category should be increased by 10-20 points
Your perspective is definitely skewed, by the exact reasons you just summed up.

is that a fucking wooden squat rack? Did you build it yourself?

Either Veeky Forums needs to be remind of just how weak most people who legitimately don't lift weights are (in b4 someone talks about construction workers) or else Veeky Forums is stuck on non-reality mode where they already know but pretend they don't because it's somehow entertaining.

If you stood in front of a total normalfag, say he works in a small office, plays baseball with his friends, and jogs 3 times per week and you deadlifted twice your bodyweight with good from he would think you were damn strong. Now this doesn't mean you're strong, but rather it illustrates how weak people are. So yes, his perception is skewed and I don't think they need to be increased by any points.

but if you look at the top categories on symmetric strength, theyre out of line too. the "world class" category is 125 but if you plug in stats for people it describes as world class you get scores 160+

"world class" is described as the strongest in the world, but there are literally tripfags in /plg/ who fall in this category. theyre strong. some are even internationally competitive. but theyre not the strongest in the world

Yes. It's pretty solid too.

It's cool. What wood is it? Pine?