The Texas Method thread

Previous TM thread died.
Here's a new one, for discussion about anything TM-related.

To start, can you folks help me filling up / fixing this 4-day TM template?

Mon
Bench Volume
LTE / Dips / ??
Chinup 3xf

Tue
Squat Volume
RDL? PCs?
Back Ext 5x5
Curls?

Thu
Bench Intens
Press Volume 8x3 or something
Chinup (or BBRow or what?)

Fri
Squat Intens
Deadlift 1x5
AB exercise?? or what?

Tue
5x5 squat
3x5 sldl
No pc, no back ext
Also i like lats and biceps on leg day

how's this template by trappy?

1. buy or pirate Practical Programming 3rd Edition
2. peruse the half-dozen or more different TM templates, some 3-day which bench 2x a week, some 4-day splits
3. ?????
4. PROFIT!

looks like a neverending work out right there.
aint got 4 hrs for a gym session each time.

Green is you, black is me
>Mon
OHP intensity, unless powerlifting
>Bench Volume
>LTE / Dips / ??
Just facepulls and LTE 3xF. If you have energy to dip, you didn't bench hard enough
>Chinup 3xf

>Tue
>Squat Volume
>RDL? PCs?
Snatch grip deads 3x5. More trap and grip involvement with less leg and spine involvement.
>Back Ext 5x5
Those should be done for conditioning and mobility, not for high weight low reps
>Curls?
Might as well

>Thu
>Bench Intens
>Press Volume 8x3 or something
Why not 5x5
>Chinup (or BBRow or what?)
Try weighted chins here

>Fri
>Squat Intens
>Deadlift 1x5
>AB exercise?? or what?
High rack pulls to get some extra gri, trap and spine work without being held back by fatigued hamstrings too much
You might want to consider the following scheme too:
1x5 squat and 3x5 sndl on Tuesday
1x5 DL and 5x5 squat on Friday

>Practical Programming 3rd Edition
>different TM templates
> 3-day which bench 2x a week
I must be retarded and blind. Page?

ID rotations:

in the book by lascek he says go from 5RM to 2x3 etc. but this is a terrible rate of gains since when you switch to 2x3 from 5RM, you'll take a few weeks to get to a challenging weight using the same increments of increase, then again for the next one, say 2x2, then 5x1 and then back to 1x5 or whatever you decide to do...but by that point you've just taken like 3 months just to put yourself in a position to begin increasing 5RM again.

thoughts?

what kind of warm-ups do you do for the intensity day single set ?

Am I an idiot if I do 5/3/1 by wendler instead of this? I just don't feel comfortable squatting that much and deadlifting that less.

>6 sets a week
>squatting that much
pick one

In PP, Rip says to go with a 5RM for as long as possible. When this fails to go for triples doubles and singles for 2-3 weeks each. However, when even singles are exhausted he says to do a heavy single 1RM so that you can create a new 5RM out of that and the cycle gets back to the beginning.

Makes sense or did I read wrong?

OP here.
Thank you user.

Let me comment:
- what's the rationale behind putting DL and Squat volume together? My idea was that a heavy set of DL is tiring for 5x5 squats (or viceversa).

>OHP intensity, unless powerlifting
- Yes, i'd like to keep it PL-oriented, so the Press becomes just an accessory for Bench. Basically making Mon Bench+accessories day. That's why I was thinking of LTEs and Dips. Will try the facepull recommendation.

- So you mean to do chinups on both Mon and Thu?
- Should I then remove / replace Back extens (5x10) altogether?
- Did you suggest the rack pulls to replace the abs work slot, right?

>not doing a bastardized mash up of texas method and GVT

Bump

Is the texas method more or less advanced than madcow?

Why are Texans so fat and ugly?

Madcow is the pussified version of texas method

same "experience" level

IMO 5/3/1 sucks.

Only when you start adding bullshit sets in the other versions is there enough work to actually accomplish anything.

>- what's the rationale behind putting DL and Squat volume together? My idea was that a heavy set of DL is tiring for 5x5 squats (or viceversa).
Do either, VV/II or IV/IV, I suggested both. VV/II is more sport specific though
>>OHP intensity, unless powerlifting
>- Yes, i'd like to keep it PL-oriented, so the Press becomes just an accessory for Bench. Basically making Mon Bench+accessories day. That's why I was thinking of LTEs and Dips. Will try the facepull recommendation.
Ok, but I insist that if you can dip, you didn't bench hard enough.
Since you're PLing, I'd do Bench 5rm on Monday, bench 5x5 on Thursday, bench recovery 2x5 on Friday (light weight, CG or incline if you want)
For OHP, just 3 sets at RPE 8 on Monday and Thursday after bench. Don't neglect it but don't stress too hard over it either.
>- So you mean to do chinups on both Mon and Thu?
Chinups or rows, yes. I prefer chinups on both because I prefer spending my precious lower back recovery tokens on squats and deadlifts. If I'm doing a program that requires rows, I do them chest supported
>- Should I then remove / replace Back extens (5x10) altogether?
No, just don't stress about the reps. It's a very low impact exercise, and 5x5 (as you said before) implies that you would do them weighted
>- Did you suggest the rack pulls to replace the abs work slot, right?
I suggested it to hit all the muscles that the deadlift requires but the squat doesn't so that you get a good carryover. And yes, rack pulls train abs. And they train them in a PL specific way, which you want.

Less advanced
>The program sucks! Except if you do it properly as described in the book, then it doesn't suck. But that's bullshit because the only program that is supposed to work is TM
FYI, the "I'm not doing Jack shit" template is not recommended

the only long workout is volume day

>What is cortisol
Just split volume day to two days

ur a fukin pussy my volume day takes 2.5 hours and i still progress aint no broscience corotsol gon stop me son

the different variations are described in text not flat out in a table you moron

look at the intermediate section

rack pulls i saw are usually done 3-4 inches below the knee.
you suggest to do them at knee height to remove hamstring engagement?

>For OHP, just 3 sets at RPE 8 on Monday and Thursday after bench.
wow - that sounds a lot of press!

>bench recovery 2x5 on Friday (light weight, CG or incline if you want)
how about throwing this 2x5 light bench variation after a Bench volume or bench intensity?

Epic
Well just treat them as static holds + "deadlift lockouts". No other reason other than the squat not training your grip on the bar, but being enough volume for the rest of the musculature involved in the DL
As for the press, well, RPE 8 is supposed to be easy. If you want do 2 sets only? It's mostly there for joint health desu, pressing light will have zero carryover in someone who benches 3x week anyway
After bench intensity. Remember that the more volume you add the more diminishing the returns. Adding 2 sets for a total of 3 will have better results than adding 2 sets for a total of 7.

Texas Method for Powerlifting. This is a 3-day version taht benches 2 times a week. The overview for this program appears in the 3rd Edition and begins around page 170 of the PDF version. It is intended for a percentage-based training cycle of 12 weeks, where week #1 is the first week of the training cycle, and week #12 ends in a competition.

Texas Method Split for Powerlifting. The overview for this program appears in the 3rd Edition and begins around page 181 of the PDF version under the name “Four-Day Texas Method: Version #2.” 2 heavy bench press and 2 heavy overhead press each week.

High/Low – Low/High Texas Method Split. The overview for this program appears in the 3rd Edition and begins around page 184 of the PDF version and is described as one of the most difficult methods. Again, 2x bench and 2x press each week.

There are also some layouts in the Starr Method section with 2x bench a week.