/run/ - Running General

It's summer. Time to get the running generals rolling again.

FAQ
pastebin.com/pjMQQ46m

>tfw raced half last weekend and had enough strength for a decent kick the last km

Will HIIT sprinting improve my 5K time? It's around 24 minutes fyi. Any other tips on improving speed?
I tried just running the same distance and trying to be faster, but it didn't really work.

HIIT is definitely the way to go for improving speed. For a 5k I'd do a bunch of 400m intervals once or twice a week.
Also, do slower but longer runs, even up to 15-20k once a week.

I'm currently doing 20 second sprints with 60 seconds of rest inbetween, repeated 15 times, but once I'll find a 400 m track I'll definitely start doing it.

Started running again the only thing that really stops me when i jog is calf pain, for about a month now its slowly been getting easier but still stops me. I did gain around 10 pounds on a bulk and believe this could be the source as well and proper stretching. I am steadily losing weight though. My joggs are currently 2.5 km every other day and im forced to stop halfway to give my calves a break for a minute.

My first run since high school.
Should i neck my self?
T. 30yearold ex smoker.

>It's summer.

A terrible time to think about starting to run let alone for any long time runner.

Everyone knows spring/autumn weather is more ideal - the cooler temperatures and less dry atmosphere, as well as more cloud cover and less sun glare to deal with. There's also more people about to gawk at you and make stupid unwelcome comments/jeers.

If you run at night, then summer is ideal.

Ran too quick at the start lol. How can you even go 15 min pace did you walk?

How long can you go without training without losing your gains? Im talking lost so bad you cant get them back in a few weeks?

Big part of why I like summer running is that I can run after work, and there will be enough sunlight.
Also, summer early mornings are better than spring/fall ones

I barely trained during winter, and while I'm at better shape than last year around this time, I'm still far from where I was back in October

Ran a 16:0 something 5 k recently but i havent ran hard in a week and a half. I feel recovered but I also feel sluggish when I go to run

Whats a good cardio routine for 2 days a row every week?

Intervals one day, slow longish run the other

Sup fellow runners,

I'm somewhat new to this (6 months or so on and off) I mostly lift but I fucking love running.

My question is when does the stiffness in my shins and calves go away? I don't get shin splints anymore but when starting a session around the 800m mark my calves and shins feel fatigued as fuck. I usually manage to do 3k after that but I swear I feel like I'm making it worse by forcing my "tired" legs to run.

It feels bad man, I finally got the stamina to run more than 5k without being out of breath but now my legs can't handle it.

>tfw stiff gay shins that complain about literally any impact

>break both ankles in hilariously stupid work accident
>screws in both that have to stay in for ten months plus three additional rehab
>no running, jogging, or even too brisk walking
h-heh

Work on your form. Try to improve running efficiency, etc.
Also, rolling foam after running

How accurate is the runkeeper calorie estimate?

If I can comfortably run around 15k now, is a marathon in October realistic?

im in the same boat nigga, calf pain is a real bitch

´greentext the accident user

I really really can't be fucked to write out the whole story but it involved a barely functional retarded coworker, a deadline we had to haste for, a fuckheavy metal door, and some object he let fall out of his pockets without noticing, and the fact I didn't see it because I was carrying heavy shit on my arms up to my face.

Let the power of imagination run through you, young jedi.

>be user
>has to bring heavy metal door to X before X
>retarded coworker let fall out object
>user slips with said object
>fuckheavy metal door ends up in anons feet

close enough? also what was the object

Do the negative stair stretch. It works wonders for calves/ heel pain
Google it

No. Metal door slammed (almost) shut while I laid there with my ankles inside and the rest outside. But very good reconstruction. Object was his oversized work walkie talkie, too big for his pocket and just big enough for me to trip over with my hands full of heavy stuff.

lmao would have paid $20 to see that/10

kek, looking back on it, it was slapstick as fuck, yes. I mean, I could do without the excruciating pain and the inability to run a planned half marathon later this year, but now that I'm on fistfuls of weapon strength painkillers, it's hilarious.

good luck man, hope you recover fast enough

Thanks m8. I'm allowed a special stationary bike (that I can use with the thingies they put around my feet) and veeeeeeeeeery slow walking, so I'll just spend literally ever waking hour doing that. Ain't nothing gonna break my stride nigga

fell for the no cardio jew for a few years, but lately been running 6 times a week, this is third week.

today while running, got crazy leg burn. felt like a really intense pump in my shins. should I use a bike or elliptical for a while instead of running every day?

ice bath and then keep running

doing cardio in one place is probably one of the worst experiences ever, because at least with running you can see things like dogs or see the sky or whatever

>see things like dogs or see the sky or whatever
dude weed lmao

It is. just follow a proper plan and stick to it. October should be more than enough time.
We're all gonna make it

So, I am training to enter the USAF CCT pipeline. I just contracted, but my 1.5 mile time was dog shit. I came in at 9:50, the cut off time was 10:10. Running is by far the hardest part for me. I can ruck like an ox, swim like a fish, but I am barely passing the minimum standards for the run. Any tips or suggestions to get my 1.5 mile faster?

Thanks.

Just run faster, stupid.
HIIT it up or some shit.

>I still haven't started since falling out this winter
h-hold me lads

Get off your fat ass and go run

>tfw 10k speed is so close to 45 min goal
I'm horny lads